• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Deepo

I so want to get in on all this RPG goodness on my Vita, but the prices on the norwegian PSN store are just beyond stupid.

An example:

Trails in the Sky: 299 NOK = 53 USD

Not paying that. Actually considering going with my US account for my Vita, but that would mean cutting out my local european chums...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I so want to get in on all this RPG goodness on my Vita, but the prices on the norwegian PSN store are just beyond stupid.

An example:

Not paying that. Actually considering going with my US account for my Vita, but that would mean cutting out my local european chums...

Your friends? You could just add these friends on your American account as well and play with them online from that account.

Or are you talking about something different? But yeah, I am doing the same. German here, but using the US account for Vita games. So much cheaper.

Deepo

Your friends? You could just add these friends on your American account as well and play with them online from that account.

Or are you talking about something different? But yeah, I am doing the same. German here, but using the US account for Vita games. So much cheaper.

Ah, I thought online play and Near would be region locked for some reason. Thank you for clarifying. Ok, format memory card is a go, going to try this now.

zinder

During the day, you upgrade your social links by talking to certain people and triggering events. You can also spend time doing other activities to raise your stats (like in a dating sim). During the evening, you venture into one long, continous dungeon. You need to reach certain floors of the dungeon and beat the bosses on those floors before specific calendar dates (as the game is set over the school year). During your crawl, you'll get different personas (think: Pokemon) which have varying abilities and can be fused together to create new, more powerful personas. Upgrading your social links increases the power of your personas.

It's a great game, but it is repetitive, and will take you somewhere around 80 hours.

Reminds me of Catherine, which I loved. Same developers as well, right? Atlus?

Damn, I guess I have to get it now.

zinder

An example:

I did the same. I am from Sweden but using US store account for cheap prices & faster weekly updates. Just a warning tho, you can't use your norwegian credit card in US store. You'll have to buy prepaid US PSN cards online (I recommend using OffGamers, you recieve the code instantainiously).

Deepo

I did the same. I am from Sweden but using US store account for cheap prices & faster weekly updates. Just a warning tho, you can't use your norwegian credit card in US store. You'll have to buy prepaid US PSN cards online (I recommend using OffGamers, you recieve the code instantainiously).

I use my US account quite a bit on my PS3, but only for purchases, since I can play them on my EU account. Really wish Vita worked the same way. I think I'm actually going to try to switch all my PS activity to my US account. Those 9 platinums on my EU account are a bit hard to just let go though.

Thanks for the tip about Offgamers. Seems nice with instant delivery! I currently use BestBuy.com, since they charge exactly 50$ for a 50$ PSN card. Have to wait a few hours for delivery though.

Now, on topic: Going to buy TitS, P2P, P3P and some Ys stuff. Thanks for making this thread; VERY useful!

tokkun

The most efficient way to play is to spend as little time in Tartarus as possible. Do long stretches of slinks + stats followed by a few big Tartarus nights.

Most efficient is not necessarily the most fun, though. I thought the most brilliant aspects of Persona 3 was that it let you set your own pace. Do dungeon-crawling when you feel like it and switch back to town stuff when you get sick of combat. The thing about calling the game repetitive is that the player has a lot of control over it.

From my perspective the easiest way to end up hating Persona 3/4 is to get hung up on min-maxing and completionism on their first playthrough rather than trying to play naturally. Save the completionist stuff for NG+.

Most efficient is not necessarily the most fun, though. I thought the most brilliant aspects of Persona 3 was that it let you set your own pace. Do dungeon-crawling when you feel like it and switch back to town stuff when you get sick of combat. The thing about calling the game repetitive is that the player has a lot of control over it.

From my perspective the easiest way to end up hating Persona 3/4 is to get hung up on min-maxing and completionism on their first playthrough rather than trying to play naturally. Save the completionist stuff for NG+.

I've played Persona 3 twice so far (regular and FES) and just wanted to run through it as the girl to see social link changes, etc. Was just wondering what I should try and make sure I don't miss b/c there won't be a 4th play through for a while :p

i went on PS3 thinking BOF3 would be there but i live in the US. what the fuck capcom take my money!

and i have BOF IV waiting to be transferred to psv once sony decides to flip the switch on psone classics!

TheExodu5

Banned

Luckily the most efficient way is kind of how I liked to play it. 2-3 hours stretch of social links followed by a 2-3 hour dungeon crawl. You could break it up more than that if you wanted.

xxczx

I've played Persona 3 twice so far (regular and FES) and just wanted to run through it as the girl to see social link changes, etc. Was just wondering what I should try and make sure I don't miss b/c there won't be a 4th play through for a while :p
I'm doing a FeMC run through now, I'm only bothered about Akihiko's social link (spoiler: howto social link)
which requires a level 4 in charm before May 25th
so I'm doing as much as I can in Tartarus in one night bursts so I can get that charm up.

Chris R

Great thread, just wish the PSN prices weren't so high. Instead of grabbing multiple games I'm probably looking at just getting one.

Bring on the PS+ sales!

TheExodu5

Banned
other than the 3d enviroments to explore is there really any reason to go with the original? I was planning on getting p3p.

Apparently the lack of cutscenes and animations scenes can lead to confusion in some story sequences. However, the lack of the explorable 3D environment is almost a plus, since it speeds up the game a fair bit. Also, you get to control all characters in battle instead of just the main character, which is a huge plus for the portable version. They have their pros and their cons.

tokkun

Ah. In that case I would say that the main thing - which is probably fairly obvious - is to focus on doing the new S.Links. The male romance stuff is all exclusive of course, and as with the male main character you need to get some of your stats (Courage/Academics/Popularity) up before you can unlock them so you need to do a bit of planning if you want to max them all. In the case of
Shinjiro
you will want to prioritize him since there are limited opportunities to max his S.Link due to plot reasons.

Aside from that, most of the changes are not missable.

Perkel

Banned
So Monster Hunter is the clear choice over Gods Eater? Is there alot of variety in MH?

You must consider also there are a lot of people who hate MH. If you played Deamon Souls or dark sould it will be super cluncy. No autolock with super shitty camera controls are big problems and ll those addition animations in middle of action (like after eating) are just sometimes rage generators.

There is a lot of variety in MH.

Omiee

i loved valkyrica chronicles and monster hunter.

what rpg would i like on the store?

i have 40 to 50 euro to spend.

Eusis

I think they eventually went back on that though. Capcom could probably release it now if they cared to.
At the least I think it'd be a good $10 PSN title, to make up for the PS1 version not working out for whatever reason. At this point the bigger problem probably IS Capcom not caring, and they may not even see a PSN-exclusive release as worthwhile.

Didn't realize this until now... but this thread could just be definite rpgs for vita and be accurate for a good year or so...

Besides Persona 4... any other rpg rumblings about?

i loved valkyrica chronicles and monster hunter.

what rpg would i like on the store?

i have 40 to 50 euro to spend.

God Eater? VC2? Don't really see anything on the list that you'd probably hate lol.

Omiee

i really wanna get valkyria chronicles 2 but not for 35 euro when its 22 dollars on the us store.

it sucks that i cant just download it from the us store and use it =(

Hawk269

I am in the U.S. anyway I can get Phantasy Online Portable 2 on Vita? I dont understand, why some games are not on the U.S./NA PSN Store. I would buy it TODAY if I could.

Mzo

I am in the U.S. anyway I can get Phantasy Online Portable 2 on Vita? I dont understand, why some games are not on the U.S./NA PSN Store. I would buy it TODAY if I could.
Because Sony left it up to the individual companies. Ask Sega why.

Durask

I really wish they figure out something about Trails in the Sky - second chapter.

Big problem with that game it that it is on two UMDs - and towards the end of the game if you want to move between certain towns, you have to swap the disks. Xseed has no resources to reprogram the game and it doesn't seem that Falcom cares much (since the game is not on PSN in Japan).

Bukana

I really wish they figure out something about Trails in the Sky - second chapter.

Big problem with that game it that it is on two UMDs - and towards the end of the game if you want to move between certain towns, you have to swap the disks. Xseed has no resources to reprogram the game and it doesn't seem that Falcom cares much (since the game is not on PSN in Japan).

Shit, maybe that's why XSEED bailed out.

Lulubop

I'm extremely tempted to purchase a Vita to play some of these titles. Unfortunately I have zero interest in any of the titles released or upcoming(At least announced for the states).

Maybe I'll just settle on buying another PSP.

Would you guys recommend Corpse Party or Ys: The Oath in Felghana if you could only choose one? What i usually like the most about my RPG-esque games is story above all else. From there, it would have to be gameplay/battle system.

EDIT: I've never played any of the Ys games if that matters with continuity.

I'm extremely tempted to purchase a Vita to play some of these titles. Unfortunately I have zero interest in any of the titles released or upcoming(At least announced for the states).

Maybe I'll just settle on buying another PSP.

Just get a used psp go. See them going for less than $100. And when vita price drops (lol) get that and all your stuff transfers over!

Would you guys recommend Corpse Party or Ys: The Oath in Felghana if you could only choose one? What i usually like the most about my RPG-esque games is story above all else. From there, it would have to be gameplay/battle system.

EDIT: I've never played any of the Ys games if that matters with continuity.

Corpse Party has... a story. Gameplay is pure garbage though. Great experience with head phones on though. Fantastic music... and has some of the most fucked up deaths in games this gen from only word bubbles, VA and sound effects!

Worth an experience.

JWong

Banned
Posted this in the launch thread yesterday, but it could do some good here too. ;)

First impressions on Valkyria Chronicles 2:

Story - Okay so far. Voice acting and main characters are a bit meh, but there is a huge cast of characters this time around and it keeps things interesting. Like someone said it can get a bit anime-ish/shounen, but the story seems like its really starting to pick up.

Gameplay - Still as good as the 'ol VC gameplay...if not better, actually. Especially with all the new changes and additions done from the original system.

I've put in about 8-9 hours so far and I still feel like i'm not even 1/4 way through. I'm having a blast though and I can already tell ill be sinking tons of hours into this.

Shitty offscreen pics obviously can't do it justice, but still look good even in comparison to general the general PSP screenshots i've seen. The text and such look a lot smoother with the vita screen. I will probably post more when I finish or probably bump/create a LTTP thread.

I'm 20 hours in and I'm still on the third month lol.

The Vita makes VC2 feel like a PS3 game, the colours are so vibrant.

TheTowel

Ended up buying Tails in the sky due to this thread to relieve my jrpg itch. I'm liking it thus far. Characters seem to be developing similar to the original Grandia which is good. Music kinda bothers me as most of it is over the top happy. Music to me is what defines an rpg so we'll see how that goes. Bout 10 hours, past the prologue and on chapter 1(?) Game seems to be picking up.

In regards to my next rpg...looking for something memorable, gameplay and music wise. Any suggestions? Something like the old final fantasies or grandia is what I'm looking for.

Ended up buying Tails in the sky due to this thread to relieve my jrpg itch. I'm liking it thus far. Characters seem to be developing similar to the original Grandia which is good. Music kinda bothers me as most of it is over the top happy. Music to me is what defines an rpg so we'll see how that goes. Bout 10 hours, past the prologue and on chapter 1(?) Game seems to be picking up.

In regards to my next rpg...looking for something memorable, gameplay and music wise. Any suggestions? Something like the old final fantasies or grandia is what I'm looking for.

Everyone seems to say that FF4 Complete is fabulous on the Vita.

raven777

just quick questions about corpse party. is the voice over in japanese or english?

and does it have gore and disturbing images?

Top Bottom