• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

DeMeester

Thanks to this thread I bought Final Fantasy 2 and IV for my Vita. Shame I can't play FF2 yet because it says it cannot be downloaded to my Vita. I'm waiting on a fix. I hope that Final Fantasy Anniversary will be up soon.

so how has battery life been for psp games on vita? Comparable to psp? Are all the vita functions available in psp mode (music playback, near, etc.)?

so how has battery life been for psp games on vita? Comparable to psp? Are all the vita functions available in psp mode (music playback, near, etc.)?

Well for battery life I was playing 3rd Birthday last night, put it on stand-by for about 5 hours, went back to it and battery icon was still full.

scy

Hrm ... I just realized, Phantasy Star Portable 2 was pulled from the US store, wasn't it? Bought it awhile back on PSP (digitally) but never actually got around to playing it :/

Well for battery life I was playing 3rd Birthday last night, put it on stand-by for about 5 hours, went back to it and battery icon was still full.

i think it's like android phones battery indicator where it only goes down every 25%. From what i see with my vita when it changes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i think it's like android phones battery indicator where it only goes down every 25%. From what i see with my vita when it changes.

Yes, basically that is the case with Vita. It's not fully charged until the light changes. I would like to see if PSP games tax the system in a test but I haven't set anything up like that yet.

qcf x2

Wow, there's way too much here. I think my first purchase will be Chrono Cross. After that, I'm gonna blindly pick a few from the list that don't require a PS3.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ys Oath in Felghana is really cool. Really glad I picked it up. Story/dialog/whatever are throwaway, but the game is damned fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
So GAF, what's the best one (and the best looking on Vita):

Trails in The Sky or Persona 3 Portable?

Best looking...it's a toss up. Both look decent. Trails art and world look better, but Persona 3's UI looks much better.

I'd say if you haven't played Persona 4 yet, wait for P4 The Golden and grab Trails for now.

Can't say which is better since I haven't played much of Trails yet. They're both very different games. You play Trails for the characters and story, and you play Persona 3 for the dungeon crawling and social links.

Peterthumpa

Best looking...it's a toss up. Both look decent. Trails art and world look better, but Persona 3's UI looks much better.

I'd say if you haven't played Persona 4 yet, wait for P4 The Golden and grab Trails for now.

Can't say which is better since I haven't played much of Trails yet. They're both very different games. You play Trails for the characters and story, and you play Persona 3 for the dungeon crawling and social links.

Excellent comments. TiTS it is then.

tokkun

So GAF, what's the best one (and the best looking on Vita):

Trails in The Sky or Persona 3 Portable?

Definitely P3P if you haven't played a version of Persona 3 before. I enjoyed Trails quite a bit, but Persona 3 is one of my favorite JRPGS of the last decade.

Peterthumpa

Definitely P3P if you haven't played a version of Persona 3 before. I enjoyed Trails quite a bit, but Persona 3 is one of my favorite JRPGS of the last decade.

Never played any Persona before. But from the gameplay videos that I've seen until now, it seems kinda repetitive, specially the dungeon stuff. How does it play?

TheExodu5

Banned
Never played any Persona before. But from the gameplay videos that I've seen until now, it seems kinda repetitive, specially the dungeon stuff. How does it play?

During the day, you upgrade your social links by talking to certain people and triggering events. You can also spend time doing other activities to raise your stats (like in a dating sim). During the evening, you venture into one long, continous dungeon. You need to reach certain floors of the dungeon and beat the bosses on those floors before specific calendar dates (as the game is set over the school year). During your crawl, you'll get different personas (think: Pokemon) which have varying abilities and can be fused together to create new, more powerful personas. Upgrading your social links increases the power of your personas.

It's a great game, but it is repetitive, and will take you somewhere around 80 hours.

Peterthumpa

During the day, you upgrade your social links by talking to certain people and triggering events. You can also spend time doing other activities to raise your stats (like in a dating sim). During the evening, you venture into one long, continous dungeon. You need to reach certain floors of the dungeon and beat the bosses on those floors before specific calendar dates (as the game is set over the school year). During your crawl, you'll get different personas (think: Pokemon) which have varying abilities and can be fused together to create new, more powerful personas. Upgrading your social links increases the power of your personas.

It's a great game, but it is repetitive, and will take you somewhere around 80 hours.

Excellent post again. Will think about it... I just don't know if repetitive in this case means "boring", but I guess that in Persona's case that's a "no", right?

Posted this in the launch thread yesterday, but it could do some good here too. ;)

First impressions on Valkyria Chronicles 2:

Story - Okay so far. Voice acting and main characters are a bit meh, but there is a huge cast of characters this time around and it keeps things interesting. Like someone said it can get a bit anime-ish/shounen, but the story seems like its really starting to pick up.

Gameplay - Still as good as the 'ol VC gameplay...if not better, actually. Especially with all the new changes and additions done from the original system.

I've put in about 8-9 hours so far and I still feel like i'm not even 1/4 way through. I'm having a blast though and I can already tell ill be sinking tons of hours into this.

FBM4rl.jpg
reH6Zl.jpg

1Y7P2l.jpg
NGbsyl.jpg

My Recommendation: Billinear Filtering ON (Smooths everything out), Color Space OFF (Makes colors richer)

Shitty offscreen pics obviously can't do it justice, but still look good even in comparison to general the general PSP screenshots i've seen. The text and such look a lot smoother with the vita screen. I will probably post more when I finish or probably bump/create a LTTP thread.

scy

Goddamn Vita costing me a ton of money rebuying my PSP library.

I should've been smarter.

^ Valkyria 2 was my first repurchase, lol. Up between it and Trails for the first replay.

Just picked up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Final Fantasy IV CC. Wow, they look so much nicer than I remember. The Vita is so goddamn amazing! It's breathing new life into my PSP RPG collection and I love it.

Now I will continue crossing my fingers for the Persona games prices to lower. I will buy them all once they do.

Posted this in the launch thread yesterday, but it could do some good here too. ;)

Story - Okay so far. Voice acting and main characters are a bit meh, but there is a huge cast of characters this time around and it keeps things interesting. Like someone said it can get a bit anime-ish/shounen, but the story seems like its really starting to pick up.

Gameplay - Still as good as the 'ol VC gameplay...if not better, actually. Especially with all the new changes and additions done from the original system.

I've put in about 8-9 hours so far and I still feel like i'm not even 1/4 way through. I'm having a blast though and I can already tell ill be sinking tons of hours into this.

Shitty offscreen pics obviously can't do it justice, but still look good even in comparison to general the general PSP screenshots i've seen. The text and such look a lot smoother with the vita screen. I will probably post more when I finish or probably bump/create a LTTP thread.

I picked this gem up yesterday. I almost gave myself an erection imagining a Front Mission with the Valkyria Chronicles game engine, it's a perfect fit.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Love love VC2. Don't get all the hate it got. I really liked the story too, I'm easily pleased though.

raiot

Found and bought Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Breath of Fire 3 on PS3 and transfered it to my Vita, worked flawlessly!

Bought and started Silver Star Harmony

Really digging it's vibrant palette and upbeat atitude

Also, 2D 60fps looks glorious on DAT OLED!

Still wish it had Sega CD audio =P

Eusis

Hrm ... I just realized, Phantasy Star Portable 2 was pulled from the US store, wasn't it? Bought it awhile back on PSP (digitally) but never actually got around to playing it :/
You can still download and play it unless this is a weird exception to how pulling usually works (can't buy, but if you bought it already you keep it), but it won't work on Vita yet unless you're playing on a European account. So if you sold your PSP or something for the Vita, yeah, you're still screwed, and even then I'd wait and see what happens because it's the kind of game begging for a second stick.

scy

You can still download and play it unless this is a weird exception to how pulling usually works (can't buy, but if you bought it already you keep it), but it won't work on Vita yet unless you're playing on a European account. So if you sold your PSP or something for the Vita, yeah, you're still screwed, and even then I'd wait and see what happens because it's the kind of game begging for a second stick.

My PSP is more-or-less handed down already. Hopefully it gets added back since it'd be great for the Vita but otherwise, guess I'm just not going to play it. Oh well.

Great thread OP, thanks so much, I had completely forgotten about the Ys games. Wanted to play them back in the day but never got around to buying a PSP. Got a Vita for free as an industry perk so gonna go rustle up a PSN card at lunch and download Ys Seven.

Thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Woah, what? PSP2 works on Vita if it's a European account? Why doesn't it work on US accounts then? That seems incredibly shitty...I've had it downloaded to my system for over two months now, waiting until I can put it on my Vita and play again. -_-

injurai

Banned

Oh wow ty. I have been eyeing this game and I think I might pick it up assuming its on the US PSN. This i the first time that I have been overwhelmed by launch titles and backwards compatibility games.

ive played over 45 hours in VC2 and i still have 2 or 3 months of story left.
Dontworry this game is a great time sinker evenwithout dlcs

Top Bottom