• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Downgrade?

Tabris

I liked how EA said on multiple games "this is in-game on PS4" so you know it's not some unrealistic high-end PC overachieve.

It's pretty bad Ubi when EA is showing you up.

Yasae

Banned
Looking at the Gamersyde video, not nearly as big a downgrade as it might seem... But certainly not 2013 level. It's closer to E3 last year where we saw the first changes.

I could easily live with these visuals. There are some things which are still ugly across the board (dat flamethrower, dem nades, still seems like lowered destructibility idk), whatever. The game is also made a bit more interesting seeing vids from the other players in the demo.

AU Tiger

Ghost Recon has no chance. I mean.... look at it. Looks a shit ton more detailed than The Division 2015.

2014 still looked really damn good. The lighting was beautiful, and you still had some good detail and ground clutter.

It didn't look that bad to me.

2015 looks.... ok I guess

Ehhh... I don't see ghost recon doing anything visually that's more impressive than BF4, GTA V or Battlefront. If it gets downgraded, I suspect the differences will be minimal. (I hope)

Kssio_Aug

lol, wow. The game doesn't even look good anymore.

Watch the Gamersyde gameplay, its worth it!

Yeah, I have to admit that the game actually feels very nice! It may be a very good option for those who are interested in different MP modes, other then the typical TPS/FPS deathmatches and derivated.

Loakum

Banned
Look...it's a Ubisoft game. Downgrades are expected since they always show suped up PC footage first, then just before launch show the real console footage. That's why they really rush folks to pre order their stuff. I should know, Ubi got me several times!

tbd

Downgrades or bad graphics aren't even the problem with Ubisoft games, it's the terrible optimization and performance, on consoles and PC.

I like my shooters to run at 60 FPS. Enjoy playing it with the lowest possible settings if you want to achieve this. I think it's best to just ignore this game.

XAL

Ubisoft's MO

Never trust the pre-release graphics of their games

Yup.

Seeing Ghost Recon Wildlands I was like :O

And then I remembered it was Ubisoft and that you can't fucking trust what they show you until release.

*cough* Watchdogs *cough*

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yup.

Seeing Ghost Recon Wildlands I was like :O

And then I remembered it was Ubisoft and that you can't fucking trust what they show you until release.

*cough* Watchdogs *cough*
A crossgen title that was in development before the new consoles had final specs. Not to mention that after that demo they started showing ps4 footage exclusively.

Crossing Eden

Still doesnt change the fact that Ubisoft is master in downgrading.
Doesn't change that we don't know if this game was actually downgrade, the environment seems to be way more detailed outside dark zones. And we're seeing console footage for the first time instead of pc footage. If watch dogs could've looked like that it likely would've, since AC Unity looks much better. They even had to downgrade the geometry for last gen.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is nothing wait until the release next year March. And then compare lmao

Doesn't change that we don't know if this game was actually downgrade, the environment seems to be way more detailed outside dark zones. And we're seeing console footage for the first time instead of pc footage. If watch dogs could've looked like that it likely would've, since AC Unity looks much better. They even had to downgrade the geometry for last gen.

we don't know till its out, pre-order now!

etta

my hard graphic balls
So is that 12 minute new dark zone gameplay being played off the Xbox One or PC? Because it looks mighty good.

Death2494

No shit it doesn't look like the reveal.

Let me spell this out for anyone who still doesn't understand.

Game reveals are not a finished game. They will always look better to wow the audience.

Stop worrying about graphics and worry about gameplay.

Hell I just hot done playing 2 player superario bros 3 and I sure don't give a shit if it looked better when it was first revealed.
Killzone Shadow fall only improved after its reveal so.....

etta

my hard graphic balls

So for sure not a PC with a controller? Then it is fantastic to hear, it looks really crisp, like native resolution 1080p crisp. Good for them that they managed to get it there. Already preordered since last night, can't wait to team up with GAF.

Yea because I definitely implied that people should pre-order. Why people feel the need to bring up pre-orders as if we're forced to do so is beyond me.

XB1.

Obviously I'm speaking as Ubisoft, but the attitude of "wait when it's convenient for us" before criticizing something that smells off is the exact strategy companies want consumers to take, and I don't really follow that rule.

Derp

Here's a great one from 2014.

hlSs35a.png

I think everyone just needs to learn how to not trust anything Ubisoft says or does.

Here's a great one from 2014.

hlSs35a.png

I think everyone just needs to learn how to not trust anything Ubisoft says or does.

That's a community manager, which is essentially PR that interacts with the community. So not only would he not know about the technical goals vs reality... He can only discuss information that's been cleared by his bosses. Which is exactly how it works for every major company.

thelastword

Banned
So seeing the Xbox One button prompts does nothing, but seeing the PS4 ones works for you?
No, don't make it what it's not. I'm referring to when Ubisoft demo's their games or show it on first reveal. Show me those games being played on actual hardware at the fidelity that they show them. If the game is actually being played on a Quadruple SLI PC, show me that too so I'd know before hand that consoles will never replicate those visuals.

Btw, this was xbox footage shown in the gamersyde video and it's subhd with many features dialed back.

Just quoting one more time,
zhsekv.gif

^ Subhd, and awful textures. Ok. Not to mention far cry and Unity.
Compared to the detail, effects and textures in the original? you better believe it. The footage from which this gif was made I've watched the entire 10 minute demo from gamersyde. It doesn't change the fact that this was massively downgraded from the reveal, it's immediately noticeable.

As bad as Ubisoft games look on consoles with all their subhd, dialed back effects and textures, don't expect a solid framerate from them either. I imagine this will be sub-HD on PS4 as well (perhaps for parity); this is when you begin to wonder what's going on at Ubisoft. Compare The Division to other large level games or a massive warfare game like battlefront with top notch effects littering the screen at every turn, and it becomes a crying shame as to Ubisoft's output this gen.

Every developer is getting a handle except them and it's a bit disappointing, but as I said, I'm hyped for FOR HONOR. I hope they deliver on that front, that game looks like it's using an entirely different engine from Watch dogs, AC, Division etc.. and there was no mystery as to where it was played, no bullshot trailer, just the game demoed. As a matter of fact, a beta is supposed to hit the PS4 soon.

You forgot "no atmosphere" and "looks like a N64 game"
No hyperbole necessary, the division looks significantly dialed back from reveal; resolution, textures, effects. Does it look like an N64 game? No, does it look as good as the reveal? No. Now, I can understand dialing back some effects here and there, perhaps some effects to keep the framerate kosher, but when every element is downgraded, especially resolution; IQ and detail is going to take a big nosedive right away, and people will notice it doesn't look as good immediately. I'd love for Gamersyde to do a framecount on that demo too, it doesn't look like it held up when there was explosions onscreen. The IQ and detail is already butchered but still the framerate can't hold? That is the state of UBisoft that has me scratching my head in comparison to the output of other devs this gen.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I don't know if this video has been posted yet. It compares videos from 2013, 2014 and 2015. It's crystal clear, even with the direct feed / livestream obvious quality difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jrVPcIarU

Xiraiya

All the comparisons I've seen make the game look pretty much the same at the base level, they haven't shown us a new day/night cycle or anything for us to know for sure about effects.
The biggest difference I noticed is the 2013 version streets looked far more packed with stuff which seemed to really add to the environment, that does seems lesser and lesser over the years, but that could just be differences in location for all I know.

If there is a provable downgrade, it's certainly nothing near the level of Watchdogs.

https://youtu.be/MK_1W9Q3y-I?t=1118

This video shows the commented Dark Zone demo from the point of view of another team.
The game looks really good and you can see there are parts of the streets with lots of detail and stuff lying around.
What version is that? Looks kinda dark
I don't know if this video has been posted yet. It compares videos from 2013, 2014 and 2015. It's crystal clear, even with the direct feed / livestream obvious quality difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jrVPcIarU
Isn't it in the OP?

Crossing Eden

Compared to the detail, effects and textures in the original? you better believe it. The footage from which this gif was made I've watched the entire 10 minute demo from gamersyde. It doesn't change the fact that this was massively downgraded from the reveal, it's immediately noticeable.

As bad as Ubisoft games look on consoles with all their subhd, dialed back effects and textures, don't expect a solid framerate from them either. I imagine this will be sub-HD on PS4 as well (perhaps for parity); this is when you begin to wonder what's going on at Ubisoft. Compare The Division to other large level games or a massive warfare game like battlefront with top notch effects littering the screen at every turn, and it becomes a crying shame as to Ubisoft's output this gen.

Every developer is getting a handle except them and it's a bit disappointing, but as I said, I'm hyped for FOR HONOR. I hope they deliver on that front, that game looks like it's using an entirely different engine from Watch dogs, AC, Division etc.. and there was no mystery as to where it was played, no bullshot trailer, just the game demoed. As a matter of fact, a beta is supposed to hit the PS4 soon.
Concerning effects, the demo at this e3 had more intensive snow effects than any other showcase of the game, and cloth physics enabled, which the other two builds lacked. Againn, you're comparing console footage to high end pc footage and using that as an indication of a downgrade. And then you're using completely different parts of the map to say "there's less detail than in this other part of the map." Also, FC4, AC4, The Crew, hell Unity outside of compressed ps4 capture screenshots look great on console. They really need to fix that btw, because this is what the game actually looks like on console.
wdeqmv.png

ksoumj.png

"Dialed back effects." You keep pushing that transparent "parity" conspiracy theory btw. Also, massive warfare game? Battlefront, as beautiful as it is, takes place on maps, it's not a huge seamless open world like The Division. And they've gotten a great handle on the next gen consoles so far, looking forward to Syndicate which already has a better average framerate and resolution than Unity.

diaspora

Concerning effects, the demo at this e3 had more intensive snow effects than any other showcase of the game, and cloth physics enabled, which the other two builds lacked. Againn, you're comparing console footage to high end pc footage and using that as an indication of a downgrade. And then you're using completely different parts of the map to say "there's less detail than in this other part of the map." Also, FC4, AC4, The Crew, hell Unity outside of compressed ps4 capture screenshots look great on console. They really need to fix that btw, because this is what the game actually looks like on console.
wdeqmv.png

ksoumj.png

"Dialed back effects." You keep pushing that transparent "parity" conspiracy theory btw. Also, massive warfare game? Battlefront, as beautiful as it is, takes place on maps, it's not a huge seamless open world like The Division. And they've gotten a great handle on the next gen consoles so far, looking forward to Syndicate which already has a better average framerate and resolution than Unity.

You can google this for yourself.

But keep believing in Ubisoft ;)

The above post is the sound of you getting btfo.

Yep. There was no way they could've packed that much detail in for consoles. Not to mention, for an open world online game.

This is from 2013:

YjkRT2X.jpg
I think it's only a matter of time. Battlefront has this quality of lighting, UC4 is packing this level of detail. I can see a later gen title like TLOU2 getting to this level

Crossing Eden

Ran on PC but they were on-stage with PS4 controllers to muddy those waters.

VmKDIQF.png
This is actually really odd in retrospect because of the whole microsoft deal, would assume that that usually means xb1 controller or "aiming for xb1 spec" footage.

TheYanger

at this point plenty of people have actually played the game on their Xbox Ones. Not sure why this is remotely relevant, can check the alpha thread for pictures people leaked of the game as well as footage of things like door closing and glass breaking /shrug.

Top Bottom