• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The dudes from Simplepickup motorboat girls for breast cancer awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrabble

I dunno about sexual harassment but it's exploitative and the real reasons for doing this are nothing but pure sleeze and attention.

How is it any more exploitative than any other charitable donating service? When a dude comes rushing to you with a bell at the grocery store, asking you to donate money for starving children this Christmas, is that not equally manipulative and exploitative?

Also can we please put this "intentions" thing to rest? We're not these people, so trying to discern their true intentions seems a little immature and silly, but when has "intentions" garnered so much outrage amongst people? When mcdonalds opens you really think they are just opening to provide everyone with the world's greatest tasting burger? No, they have the intention of making a fuck ton of money. When a kid joins the military, you think his only intentions are "well I'm going honor my country and do everything I can to spread love and democracy across the world, and will do everything I can because god bless america." No, chances are he's some young kid who wants a little excitement and adventure, or the benefits that come from serving in the military. You think when a company donates money to charity whenever you buy their product, or when a company sponsors a walk for breast cancer awareness that they are just doing it out of the kindness of their heart? Of course not, but where is the outrage over these practices?

If people find it classless, than fine, but don't bring up intentions or accusations that they are being exploitative that are totally unfounded.

TheRedMan

Banned
haha I love how their donation was rejected, the controversy will only get their video more hits and put more money in their pockets. SimplePickup wins, inane internet outrage and the BCRF loses.

LuchaShaq

Banned
haha I love how their donation was rejected, the controversy will only get their video more hits and put more money in their pockets. SimplePickup wins, inane internet outrage and the BCRF loses.

This.

They clearly asked before doing this stuff, angry forever alone/virgins need to stop acting like these guys went out and sexually assaulted 100 people.

Thoughts on these other breast cancer awareness/research campaigns?

http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/PageNavigator/MSABC_FY13_Video.html
MSABC_video_landing_hero.png

http://www.jayblessed.com/2012/09/1...-coppafeel-campaign-reveals-she-found-a-lump/
Mel-B-Stephen-Belafonte-breast-cancer.png

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/breast_cancer_foundation_bottom (NSFW body painted naked bodies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQI1...paigns/sexual-objectification/&has_verified=1

I think the first one is pretty good. It's not trashy, and I think that the change of focus to the faces works well to bring us back to the fact that these people are human beings. It flirts with controversy, but in a tongue in cheek way, and I think that's what makes it work. It's not really about breasts being sexual objects

The other ones don't feel as heart-felt. I think that the message gets skewed once it becomes so sexual. It's not supposed to be about these beautiful sexy breasts. We're supposed to be concerned about the people and their physical and mental health.

I think the "save the boobs" ad is the worst offender of this. The celebrity one is pretty trashy, and the other one tries to really force the nudity.

I think my problem with the Simple Pickup video ran into the same problems as the last three ads, but on top of that, it just seems like it's a cheap ploy to get hits on their youtube page. I'm willing to bet they care more about their paycheck and popularity than their actual donation. That's what I assume would be the case coming from people who don't understand why this might be tasteless.

Scrabble

I think the first one is pretty good. It's not trashy, and I think that the change of focus to the faces works well to bring us back to the fact that these people are human beings. It flirts with controversy, but in a tongue in cheek way, and I think that's what makes it work. It's not really about breasts being sexual objects

The other ones don't feel as heart-felt. I think that the message gets skewed once it becomes so sexual. It's not supposed to be about these beautiful sexy breasts. We're supposed to be concerned about the people and their physical and mental health.

I think the "save the boobs" ad is the worst offender of this. The celebrity one is pretty trashy, and the other one tries to really force the nudity.

I think my problem with the Simple Pickup video ran into the same problems as the last three ads, but on top of that, it just seems like it's a cheap ploy to get hits on their youtube page. I'm willing to bet they care more about their paycheck and popularity than their actual donation. That's what I assume would be the case coming from people who don't understand why this might be tasteless.

let me tell you what young people are interested in, boobs. Sorry but a breast cancer pamphlet with an 80 year old women on the cover is going to get thrown in the trash. By using sex appeal you're going to get young people's attention, and encourage people to look at their own breasts, get regular breast exams, get more people to donate, etc. The fact that this video has over a million views in such a short time is a testament to its success and the amount of people it reached.

Also now we've resorted to calling women trashy? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

let me tell you what young people are interested in, boobs. Sorry but a breast cancer pamphlet with an 80 year old women on the cover is going to get thrown in the trash. By using sex appeal you're going to get young people's attention, and encourage people to look at their own breasts, get regular breast exams, get more people to donate, etc. The fact that this video has over a million views in such a short time is a testament to its success and the amount of people it reached.

Also now we've resorted to calling women trashy? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.
This video has over a million views from a bunch of people who wanna see women get motorboated by some dudes. That's the appeal to it, not breast cancer awareness. Watching a video like that has nothing to do with encouraging women to look at their own breasts, get regular breast exams etc.

As for the statistics behind how sexual ads affect women and donors, we don't have them so we can't tell how effective they are. I do know that the save the boobs ad is pretty pathetic, and my guess is that it didn't bring in a ton of awareness to women or even donations from men, but I have no clue. If that's what works and is proven to work, then I'm going to feel differently, but I have to work with assumptions.

And, no I'm not calling women trashy. Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

Scrabble

This video has over a million views from a bunch of people who wanna see women get motorboated by some dudes. That's the appeal to it, not breast cancer awareness. Watching a video like that has nothing to do with encouraging women to look at their own breasts, get regular breast exams etc.

As for the statistics behind how sexual ads affect women and donors, we don't have them so we can't tell how effective they are. I do know that the save the boobs ad is pretty pathetic, and my guess is that it didn't bring in a ton of awareness to women or even donations from men, but I have no clue. If that's what works and is proven to work, then I'm going to feel differently, but I have to work with assumptions.

And, no I'm not calling women trashy. Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

How are videos like this and the save the boobs ad "pathetic"? People are actually going to watch and pay attention to something like this, and yes, they'll bring in more donations and create more awareness than some boring ad.

Tacitus_

My mom had breast cancer. I don't give a fuck about the method, just as long as people get money to work on the cure for it.

Fantasmo

My mom had breast cancer. I don't give a fuck about the method, just as long as people get money to work on the cure for it.
My mom just had her first round of chemo on Monday. She's been tossing and turning on the couch and bed for the past 3 days due to extreme nausea. We just got another nausea med for her but its giving her horrible headaches. I think its fair to say I'm a little miffed at BCRF's stance :(

MIMIC

Banned
This reminded me of something I saw on CNN a while ago:

130811193527-02-suspension-style-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Move it, Silly Bandz. There's another rubber bracelet getting students into trouble at schools.

Middle and high school students in South Dakota and central and northern California have been facing possible suspension and have had to remove their controversial bracelets that read “I heart boobies." In Rocklin, California, a high school sophomore could be suspended after he refused to hand over a black bracelet with the bosom-embracing slogan, according to CNN affiliate KXTV. The 15-year-old said he wore the black bracelet because his grandmother died from breast cancer. He told the station that he owns various bracelets as a show of support– including the well-known yellow Livestrong bracelet and the pink survivor bracelet from Susan G. Komen For the Cure.
CNN

Yes, it's "awareness", but c'mon. It's more like "shock awareness" (if that's an actual term, lol)

Tacitus_

My mom just had her first round of chemo on Monday. She's been tossing and turning on the couch and bed for the past 3 days due to extreme nausea. We just got another nausea med for her but its giving her horrible headaches. I think its fair to say I'm a little miffed at BCRF's stance :(

Hope she pulls through.

Sats

Banned
This reminded me of something I saw on CNN a while ago:

CNN

Yes, it's "awareness", but c'mon. It's more like "shock awareness" (if that's an actual term, lol)

Only because of prudes.

What exactly is the definition of "tasteless" anyway? It doesn't even feel like a word anymore you people keep throwing it around

MIMIC

Banned
Only because of prudes.

What exactly is the definition of "tasteless" anyway? It doesn't even feel like a word anymore you people keep throwing it around

Well I think something as serious as breast cancer needs to be taken....well, seriously. And sexualizing it just seems kind of inappropriate to me. If this were about something else, that kind of campaign might be OK. I just think there are better, more appropriate ways to raise awareness about something like this.

EDIT: At the end of the day, awareness is awareness but sometimes, it sort of gets cheapened.

CREMSteve

Breasts are awesome, I have no issue with anything raising awareness of something so horrible as this disease. Even if the method by which these guys went about it may have been somewhat duplicitous, the end result was a charitable donation that goes towards kicking this disease's ass, and that's all that really matters, IMO.

Sats

Banned
Well I think something as serious as breast cancer needs to be taken....well, seriously. And sexualizing it just seems kind of inappropriate to me. If this were about something else, that kind of campaign might be OK. I just think there are better, more appropriate ways to raise awareness about something like this.

EDIT: At the end of the day, awareness is awareness but sometimes, it sort of gets cheapened.

Well you and I have very different ideals of what is "appropriate" I guess.

How are videos like this and the save the boobs ad "pathetic"? People are actually going to watch and pay attention to something like this, and yes, they'll bring in more donations and create more awareness than some boring ad.
I think that they will definitely bring in more donations than other ads because they mostly target male viewers, but I don't think that they will necessarily bring more awareness than other types of ads though. An ad as simple as a large pink ribbon in a magazine would bring awareness because it provides motivation to seek information. Because of the donations though, I agree with you that these types of ads are necessary.

What I find pathetic about the save the boobs ad was objectification of the woman and also the tacky humor. The objectification is definitely there, and I don't care if the actress cares or not, it is objectification. My original problem with the simple pickup video still stands and is unrelated to the money they are donating. I think these people have self motivated interests rather than heartfelt ones, and I think that makes them pathetic.

The other two ads I guess are fine, although if you ignore their effectiveness in terms of donations, I don't think they're that great.

Scrabble

I think that they will definitely bring in more donations than other ads because they mostly target male viewers, but I don't think that they will necessarily bring more awareness than other types of ads though. An ad as simple as a large pink ribbon in a magazine would bring awareness because it provides motivation to seek information. Because of the donations though, I agree with you that these types of ads are necessary.

What I find pathetic about the save the boobs ad was objectification of the woman and also the tacky humor. The objectification is definitely there, and I don't care if the actress cares or not, it is objectification. My original problem with the simple pickup video still stands and is unrelated to the money they are donating. I think these people have self motivated interests rather than heartfelt ones, and I think that makes them pathetic.

The other two ads I guess are fine, although if you ignore their effectiveness in terms of donations, I don't think they're that great.

You do realize that the actress in the save the boobs ad is the one that came up with and directed it don't you? This is why people dislike white knights so much, you treat women as if they are children incapable of independent or rational thought, and you then constantly try to reinforce that fully independent women are being used, degraded, objectified, etc. This kind of condescending patronizing attitude is more damaging than some silly video that goes towards a good cause, and where everyone seems to be having a good time. How anyone can take this "I'm a man and I don't care if a women agrees or not" stance as somehow speaking and knowing what's best for women is just down right insulting.

MedIC86

I dont know if it is discussed but i really dislike pink ribbon. It is pretty common knowledge that the most money they get goes to defending the "brand" and sueing people using the icon etc instead of actual research. There were some reports even that they only used 1.8% of the funds for actual research.

You do realize that the actress in the save the boobs ad as is the one that came up with and directed it don't you? This is why people dislike white knights so much, you treat women as if they are children incapable of independent or rational thought, and you then constantly try to reinforce that fully independent women are being used, degraded, objectified, etc. This kind of condescending patronizing attitude is more damaging than some silly video that goes towards a good cause, and where everyone seems to be having a good time. How anyone can take this "I'm a man and I don't care if a women agrees or not" stance as somehow speaking and knowing what's best for women is just down right insulting.
Chill out, you're putting words in my mouth. I'm not a "white knight" and I'm not treating women as children. I didn't say they were used or degraded. I did say they were objectified, and that is clearly the case of the save the boobs ad. It solely focuses on her breasts and at the end says "save the boobs." That's objectification no matter who created it. I'm not taking the I'm a man blah blah blah stance you indicate. I'm saying that the message can still convey objectification even if they creator/actor/etc is ok with it, and that doesn't prevent it from being pathetic!

You're being the one who's patronizing. Take a step back and argue without resorting to name calling please.

Had this been their only video then I bet the donation would have been accepted. Sadly these guys have tarnished their reputation over the years by trying to get views. This was provably brought to the organization's attention and they acted accordingly.

I personally don't have a problem with this video. SimplePickup just targeted it's userbase, got consent as well as release forms. Love it or hate it I see no issue here.

Their video with the awkward touching however was mad creepy. They even removed it iirc.

Scooter

Banned
You do realize that the actress in the save the boobs ad is the one that came up with and directed it don't you? This is why people dislike white knights so much, you treat women as if they are children incapable of independent or rational thought, and you then constantly try to reinforce that fully independent women are being used, degraded, objectified, etc. This kind of condescending patronizing attitude is more damaging than some silly video that goes towards a good cause, and where everyone seems to be having a good time. How anyone can take this "I'm a man and I don't care if a women agrees or not" stance as somehow speaking and knowing what's best for women is just down right insulting.

Amen to that, man. These white knights are some of the biggest puritans and anti-feminists out there. Women showing their sexuality does not degrade them in any way, end of fucking story. They've invented this stupid word called objectification and they use to shame both genders the same way assholes from the other side use the word slut. Successful professional women are suddenly less when they're being "objectified" according to the so-called feminists, even though most of them don't feel that way at all, and only because they're showing their sexuality and men are attracted to them.

If I was a woman and was being "protected" from these white knights from "objectification" for something I did like I'm an irresponsible child I'd be very pissed off. On a similar note accusing me that I perceive a woman as an object because I'm sexually attracted to her disgusts me equally.

These people have created a net of shame around sex which they justify under the pretense of equal rights.

Amen to that, man. These white knights are some of the biggest puritans and anti-feminists out there. Women showing their sexuality does not degrade them in any way, end of fucking story. They've invented this stupid word called objectification and they use to shame both genders the same way assholes from the other side use the word slut. Successful professional women are suddenly less when they're being "objectified" according to the so-called feminists, even though most of them don't feel that way at all, and only because they're showing their sexuality and men are attracted to them.

If I was a woman and was being "protected" from these white knights from "objectification" for something I did like I'm an irresponsible child I'd be very pissed off. On a similar note accusing me that I perceive a woman as an object because I'm sexually attracted to her disgusts me equally.

These people have created a net of shame around sex which they justify under the pretense of equal rights.

"White knight" has become a blanket term used by posters of this forum any time a topic about women is brought up. It's a lazy, stupid argument that is designed to degrade another person but it ends up making the person that hurled that particular phrase in the first place look like a total ass.

As Devolution said, some of you need to get some perspective. The mere thought of a poster like me being called for being a white knight is laughable because I'm one of the less PC posters on this forum. Sure, some people laid it on thick by equating this to sexual assault, but the majority of the people haven't done such a thing. Most of the detractors have labeled this "charity drive" as tasteless, exploitative, and just another way for people that have a history of doing outlandish things to get hits to, you know, get more hits. That's their M.O. That's the purpose of their channel. And yes, GAF is part of the problem because every time these dorks make a video GAF makes a thread and nearly shits themselves from laughter over what essentially boils down to a high school game of truth or dare.

Why am I not surprised that the people that are for this kind of video are ignoring the more salient and logical posts in favor of honing in on the hyperbolic posts? I think I know exactly why. In one case there is an argument to be had and in the other case there is no argument as to whether or not this is a classy cause.

Scooter

Banned
"White knight" has become a blanket term used by posters of this forum any time a topic about women is brought up. It's a lazy, stupid argument that is designed to degrade another person but it ends up making the person that hurled that particular phrase in the first place look like a total ass.

As Devolution said, some of you need to get some perspective. The mere thought of a poster like me being called for being a white knight is laughable because I'm one of the less PC posters on this forum. Sure, some people laid it on thick by equating this to sexual assault, but the majority of the people haven't done such a thing. Most of the detractors have labeled this "charity drive" as tasteless, exploitative, and just another way for people that have a history of doing outlandish things to get hits to, you know, get more hits. That's their M.O. That's the purpose of their channel. And yes, GAF is part of the problem because every time these dorks make a video GAF makes a thread and nearly shits themselves from laughter over what essentially boils down to a high school game of truth or dare.

Why am I not surprised that the people that are for this kind of video are ignoring the more salient and logical posts in favor of honing in on the hyperbolic posts? I think I know exactly why. In one case there is an argument to be had and in the other case there is no argument as to whether or not this is a classy cause.

Exploitative? Who are they exploiting?

There are plenty of geniuses here who have accused these guys of some ridiculous stuff and there's definitely the undertone of the woman-victim and the man-pig who "objectifies" as per usual in these threads. Calling it tasteless btw is proof of prudishness but at least you're not treating women like dumb defenseless creatures like some white knights here do. Crafty was replying to SystemShock2, one of the people who does that in this thread and I was agreeing with the first.

I do not have the same opinion about you, I have to agree with Sats that you're hiding your prudishness behind words like tasteless but I don't think you're part of the problem since I respect different opinions and standards on different people. Throwing bullsht words like objectification and treating women like idiots that need protection to shame people into a new age of sexual repression is something I definitely do not respect though. As I've said before I am actually extremely annoyed by the fact that feminism has been hijacked like that.

Also most youtube channels are doing stupid shit for attention, why are you so focused on this one? Were you that outraged by the fake injury video of the slingshot guy for example? How about all the Epic Meal Time vids?

Calling it tasteless btw is proof of prudishness but at least you're not treating women like dumb defenseless creatures like some white knights here do.

I don't...

How is one supposed to respond to that? "You're a prude because you think motorboating strangers is tacky and tasteless." The fuck?

Am I going to get called a white knight for the second time in this thread thread? Stay tuned.

I have no problem with what the guys did, nor with the charity's response.

Using tastelessness or exploiting lechery to raise money/awareness is not a bad idea. I do not see any women being victimized here.

I don't believe in altruism, so I don't think these guys have to actually harbor noble intent, if they are in fact raising money.

All that said, the charity has to cater to the desires and appearance of their primary donors, so they are free to send back such a small amount that could cost them so much.

Scooter

Banned
I don't...

How is one supposed to respond to that? "You're a prude because you think motorboating strangers is tacky and tasteless." The fuck?

Am I going to get called a white knight for the second time in this thread thread? Stay tuned.

Ugh, can you read the whole post please? I'm making a clear distinction between white knights and people who are just a little too prude for videos like that. And yes to me and many others who don't have such hangups, motorboating is just harmless fun.

I don't...

It was such a immensely stupid response I'm not even going to waste time responding to it. Some people can't see forest for the trees. The act is not what I have a problem with. Having a problem with the act is what would make me a prude. I don't give a fuck if people fuck in public. They could have fucked for breast cancer in public and I wouldn't have had a problem with the act itself. The intent behind the act is what I have a huge issue with. A person having a problem with the intent behind the act does not make them a prude. Sometimes I cannot believe what I read on this forum.

Scrabble

No, there is a clear distinguishable difference between someone speaking out for women and standing up for equality, and someone who is a "white knight." Also telling people who disagree with you "you need to get some perspective" is a total cop out term used to denounce any opposition or disagreement. It has no basis for an argument and is completely unwarranted in a discussion. How can anyone form an argument or center a discussion on that? You're free to say the video is "classless", but as soon as you start saying the consenting adult women are being used, exploited, objectified, etc. Than you better expect people to disagree with that. It doesn't mean we "need a perspective", it means we have a differing perspective on how women should be allowed to act without being called out for being this or that just because some people's views tell them what's "moral and classy" or what constitutes as being "exploited."

You find the video classless? Fine. You want awareness to be less about sex appeal and more traditional? Fine, but keep your moral views and superior high ground of "I know these women are being exploited, I know that they are being objectified, and used" bullshit out of it. Because quite frankly a lot of us find that attitude condescending and patronizing. If you don't see it that way, than we'll agree to disagree, but fuck off with this "well you just need a perspective" superiority complex some of you have got because it sounds more self serving than anything.

It was such a immensely stupid response I'm not even going to waste time responding to it. Some people can't see forest for the trees. The act is not what I have a problem with. Having a problem with the act is what would make me a prude. I don't give a fuck if people fuck in public. They could have fucked for breast cancer in public and I wouldn't have had a problem with the act itself. The intent behind the act is what I have a huge issue with. A person having a problem with the intent behind the act does not make them a prude. Sometimes I cannot believe what I read on this forum.

Exactly. I've been motorboated before. It's fun!

Motorboating for incentivized donation for breast cancer? Tasteless, tacky. Oh noes, I'm a total prude!

Scooter

Banned
It was such a immensely stupid response I'm not even going to waste time responding to it. Some people can't see forest for the trees.

So you're not even going to try? Funny, a lot of people tend to do that lately when I expose how they're hiding their puritanism behind the disguise of gender equality, or being proper/tasteful. Thanks for the "your stupid" reply anyway, A+ contribution.

Btw 30 years ago 90% of today's breast cancer ads would be considered tasteless.

editing to reply to the edit:

I don't give a fuck if people fuck in public. They could have fucked for breast cancer in public and I wouldn't have had a problem with the act itself. The intent behind the act is what I have a huge issue with. A person having a problem with the intent behind the act does not make them a prude. Sometimes I cannot believe what I read on this forum.

And there appears the woman-victim/evil-man-pig undertone again. Tell us what's this evil intent behind the act? Guys flirting with girls? Both having fun for a good cause? We need to know more about this insidious intent so that we can stop it!

Thank you. You've been saying this all far better than I keep writing and then erasing in frustration.

So you're not even going to try? Funny, a lot of people tend to do that lately when I expose how they're hiding their puritanism behind the disguise of gender equality, or being proper/tasteful. Thanks for the "your stupid" reply anyway, A+ contribution.

Btw 30 years ago 90% of today's breast cancer ads would be considered tasteless.

edit to reply to the edit:

And there appears the woman-victim undertone again. Tell us what's this evil intent behind the act? Guys flirting with girls? Both having fun for a good cause? Please explain.

I get tired of people trying to defend bullshit sexism by claiming to be sexually open and calling everyone else a prude. "Oh you have a problem with me commenting constantly on the size of your breasts? Prude."

Taking into perspective the types of videos these guys put out....the entire purpose behind this is to motorboat women, and get attention for their channel. The cancer part is secondary and they could give a shit less about it. Also, incentivized donation, by its nature, is meant to guilt people into doing a thing.

Pau

Honestly? You tend to ignore people too when they call you out on your shit so there's a kind of irony there. I don't blame posters for not wanting to engage with you.

But you clearly don't believe that objectification exists or that it's possible to talk about expressions of sexuality without painting any opinion that suggests that there are unhealthy ways to go about it as simply being prudish and hating sex.

Scooter

Banned
I get tired of people trying to defend bullshit sexism by claiming to be sexually open and calling everyone else a prude. "Oh you have a problem with me commenting constantly on the size of your breasts? Prude."

Taking into perspective the types of videos these guys put out....the entire purpose behind this is to motorboat women, and get attention for their channel. The cancer part is secondary and they could give a shit less about it. Also, incentivized donation, by its nature, is meant to guilt people into doing a thing.

And I get tired of people spamming words like sexist and objectification from their high horses without explaining why as if the mere accusation is an argument. Flirting with women or even motorboating is not sexist, sexual attraction is not sexist, men doing stupid shit to attract women isn't sexist, a stupid channel where men are hitting on women isn't sexist.

Asking women to be motorboated for charity doesn't carry any more guilt than just asking them for money, once again you're trying to create victims where there are none and treat women like children who can't decide for themselves. Women don't need your protection.

I think this is much less offensive/intrusive/exploitative than when a credit card scanner has a screen requesting a donation when you make a purchase.

I have no problem with what the guys did, nor with the charity's response.

Using tastelessness or exploiting lechery to raise money/awareness is not a bad idea. I do not see any women being victimized here.

I don't believe in altruism, so I don't think these guys have to actually harbor noble intent, if they are in fact raising money.

All that said, the charity has to cater to the desires and appearance of their primary donors, so they are free to send back such a small amount that could cost them so much.

Seconded.

And I get tired of people spamming words like sexist and objectification from their high horses without explaining why as if the mere accusation is an argument. Flirting with women or even motorboating is not sexist, sexual attraction is not sexist, men doing stupid shit to attract women isn't sexist, a stupid channel where men are hitting on women isn't sexist.

Asking women to be motorboated for charity doesn't carry any more guilt than just asking them for money, once again you're trying to create victims where there are none and treat women like children who can't decide for themselves. Women don't need your protection.

Women don't need my protection. Flirting, being attracted, etc, are not sexist. These are not concepts that are hard to grasp, AND COMPLETELY off topic to what we are talking about here. I find it telling that you think they are related, however.

Asking people for money for charity is one thing.

Asking people to do a relatively simple task so that YOU will donate to charity is incentivized donation. Something that a lot of people find distasteful anyhow. Throw in sex, and you have the makings of something that is even more distasteful. It's not that hard to understand.

Scooter

Banned
Women don't need my protection. Flirting, being attracted, etc, are not sexist. These are not concepts that are hard to grasp, AND COMPLETELY off topic to what we are talking about here. I find it telling that you think they are related, however.

Asking people for money for charity is one thing.

Asking people to do a relatively simple task so that YOU will donate to charity is incentivized donation. Something that a lot of people find distasteful anyhow. Throw in sex, and you have the makings of something that is even more distasteful. It's not that hard to understand.

Fear factor and many other shows have done similar charity events where they donate on behalf of the contestants depending on how they did, again there was nothing exploitative about them either. People were asked if they wanted to participate and they did, they were NOT victims. Seriously, you're grasping at straws here.

Fear factor and many other shows have done similar charity events where they donate on behalf of the contestants depending on how they did, again there was nothing exploitative about them either. People were asked if they wanted to participate and they did, they were NOT victims. Seriously, you're grasping at straws here.

I am not 'grasping at straws'. I am not saying anyone was a 'victim'. I am saying it's a bit gross, guilting someone into something so that you'll donate to charity. And that's without adding sex into it. No one is 'raising money'. The money is already there. It's earmarked for donation. In fact, most of the time in these campaigns money is saved ('Up to 20k will be donated! Send in lids and we'll donate it!). They don't get enough lids, 20k isn't donated.

You aren't understanding the concept here, so I am going to stop trying to explain it.

Scooter

Banned
I am not 'grasping at straws'. I am not saying anyone was a 'victim'. I am saying it's a bit gross, guilting someone into something so that you'll donate to charity. And that's without adding sex into it. No one is 'raising money'. The money is already there. It's earmarked for donation. In fact, most of the time in these campaigns money is saved ('Up to 20k will be donated! Send in lids and we'll donate it!). They don't get enough lids, 20k isn't donated.

You aren't understanding the concept here, so I am going to stop trying to explain it.

Again, everything you said applies to my Fear Factor example, the only thing different is sex which is obviously your real problem here. You also seem to purposely ignore what I'm saying and repeat the same stuff that I have already replied too. I have replied to the "trying to guilt people" part long ago.

nOoblet16

The whole issue with this thing is the way they campaign for boobs. With slogans like "I love boobies" "save the boobs" and videos such as this one, which involved yet more boobs and boob grabbing, completely wash away the real issues around breast cancer. It sexes up the issue, and places far too much importance on "saving boobs", rather than thinking about the lives of the women themselves. The goal shouldn't be to save boobs because they're lovely, or to raise awareness of boobs, it should be to save women's lives

Consider a situation where a breast cancer survivor has had double mastectomy. Do you expect her breast cancer awareness campaign to be about saving the boobs or about saving the person? Especially when the former would only make her feel less of a woman considering the emphasis society seems to be putting on breasts when it comes to breast cancer.

You could go on and on and say how this is a light hearted video where everyone had fun and also raised some money but you've got to accept that breast cancer awareness should be about the person, not the breasts !

Scrabble

I keep bringing this up and no one has responded. How come when a dude comes rushing to you with a bell at the grocery store, asking you to donate money for starving children this Christmas, it's then not equally distasteful or gross? Or when a company is encouraging people to buy a product because "hey if you do will give 10% to cure cancer." No body seems to take any particular offense to these sorts of practices, or if they do it's not to the level of reaction seen in this video. So why is it when you have fully independent consenting women, who all involved look like they're having a good time, does it spark so much outrage? Nothing about the video makes it seem the women are being "guilted" into it. You can't use words like that and not expect people to feel your labeling them as victims, when nothing paints to that being the case. Even in a case where a woman did feel pressured and agreed, than that is her choice. Sorry, but you can't put blame on anyone else but yourself for your actions. To think that women are too simple minded to avoid being manipulated and coerced by men, is the main crux of the disagreement people have with your views. Both sides have laid out their stances, we really aren't accomplishing anything anymore. Just close the thread, and all should just agree to disagree.

Also I've brought up the "well they have the money, why not just donate it" sentiment already.

Why is it such a horrible thing that they can both

A. Raise money for a good cause

AND

B. Continue to support themselves and be further successful in their career?

I'm truly at a lost over this sentiment of just "well gee why don't they just give the money away?" How exactly do you guys think they are able to make videos likes this? By continue to make videos, it's really not that hard a concept to grasp. Not to mention you're completely missing the entire subject of the video, TO RAISE AWARENESS.

These guys have the money, because they do videos like this. If folks have an issue with this type of promotion, than surely you feel equally disgusted whenever a company donates money to charity when ever you buy their product? Or when a 5k walk is being sponsored to raise breast cancer awareness. It's virtually no different, where is the outrage over that?

Sorian

Banned
The whole issue with this thing is the way they campaign for boobs. With slogans like "I love boobies" "save the boobs" and videos such as this one, which involved yet more boobs and boob grabbing, completely wash away the real issues around breast cancer. It sexes up the issue, and places far too much importance on "saving boobs", rather than thinking about the lives of the women themselves. The goal shouldn't be to save boobs because they're lovely, or to raise awareness of boobs, it should be to save women's lives

Consider a situation where a breast cancer survivor has had double mastectomy. Do you expect her breast cancer awareness campaign to be about saving the boobs or about saving the person? Especially when the former would only make her feel less of a woman considering the emphasis society seems to be putting on breasts when it comes to breast cancer.

You could go on and on and say how this is a light hearted video where everyone had fun and also raised some money but you've got to accept that breast cancer awareness should be about the person, not the breasts !

In the end, who cares? Yes, it should be about the person and not the breasts but if money is raised and research is done, does it really matter? Someone said it earlier but the focus on "boobies" and motorboating may be tasteless but it gets the job done. Young people in this generation really have money to burn (which is an issue and topic for another day) and this focus on the sex appeal gets them engaged in the cause. They donate, they spread the word, who the fuck cares how it happens, this simple video raised 2k, some guys got to have fun, most of those women had fun and weren't realluy exploited at all, and this thing is making so many laps around youtube at the moment that it can really only end up being a good thing.

I keep bringing this up and no one has responded. How come when a dude comes rushing to you with a bell at the grocery store, asking you to donate money for starving children this Christmas, it's then not equally distasteful or gross? Or when a company is encouraging people to buy a product because "hey if you do will give 10% to cure cancer." No body seems to take any particular offense to these sorts of practices, or if they do it's not to the level of reaction seen in this video. So why is it when you have fully independent consenting women, who all involved look like they're having a good time, does it spark so much outrage? Nothing about the video makes it seem the women are being "guilted" into it. You can't use words like that and not expect people to feel your labeling them as victims, when nothing paints to that being the case. Even in a case where a woman did feel pressured and agreed, than that is her choice. Sorry, but you can't put blame on anyone else but yourself for your actions. To think that women are too simple minded to avoid being manipulated and coerced by men, is the main crux of the disagreement people have with your views. Both sides have laid out their stances, we really aren't accomplishing anything anymore. Just close the thread, and all should just agree to disagree.

Also I've brought up the "well they have the money, why not just donate it" sentiment already.

Why is it such a horrible thing that they can both

A. Raise money for a good cause

AND

B. Continue to support themselves and be further successful in their career?

I'm truly at a lost over this sentiment of just "well gee why don't they just give the money away?" How exactly do you guys think they are able to make videos likes this? By continue to make videos, it's really not that hard a concept to grasp. Not to mention you're completely missing the entire subject of the video, TO RAISE AWARENESS.

These guys have the money, because they do videos like this. If folks have an issue with this type of promotion, than surely you feel equally disgusted whenever a company donates money to charity when ever you buy their product? Or when a 5k walk is being sponsored to raise breast cancer awareness. It's virtually no different, where is the outrage over that?

1. Bell ringers are asking for money, straight up. They aren't asking you do something so THEY will give money.

2. I and many other people have problems with ALL incentivized donation campaigns. It's a way to make yourself look like you are a hero, when in fact you are only trying to 'recoup' the money you donated to charity or even make a profit by having consumers buy more of your product. Full stop. In this case, I am sure they have already more than profited from this via media exposure and youtube hits.

3. Walks and the like, again, are people asking for money, straight up. When you sign up for a walk, you get people to sponsor you. They agree to donate money for the amount you walk. YOU (you being the walker) aren't getting any gain in it. Other than, I dunno, getting some exercise.

They aren't raising any money. I don't know how many times people have to repeat this. They aren't raising money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom