• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The dudes from Simplepickup motorboat girls for breast cancer awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't personally have any issue with it but its easy to understand why a charity thats trying to be taken seriously won't accept it.
I don't think it has so much with wanting to be taken seriously as it does just simple math. As has been touched on previously in this thread, if even a single large donor (in the 6 figure range) was offended by the video and threatened to pull his/her donation*, the charity stands to lose more than $100,000 just to gain $7,000. When put into that perspective, it's easy to see why the charity would turn down the $7,000. It doesn't have to have anything to do with whether the charity itself thought the video was distasteful or not.

But, like you say, there might have been a bit of an element of protecting their brand too. There's a reason you have to ask for permission to use a charity's logo/name beforehand. Let's say someone puts a lot of drop boxes around town with the Goodwill logo painted on them. He then collects all the merchandise and pawns it all himself. When he's caught, people's confidence in donating to Goodwill is shaken. They think to themselves "Is this really going to Goodwill or am I just giving it away to some shyster?" And Goodwill then loses out on donations.

And since these guys almost assuredly didn't get permission to name drop BCRF, it's not personal that their donation was rejected. Just a policy thing.

In short, I have no problem with what these guys did in their video and I also completely understand why BCRF refused the donation. Just unfortunate.

*An interesting question came to mind. Would any of you people who are against incentivized donations be upset with a donor threatening to pull support because of this video? When you think about it, the two situations aren't so different. One's saying "I'll donate this money to X charity if you let me motorboat you" while the other is saying "I'll donate this money to you (only) if you refuse Y's donation." Both are conditional/incentivized. And the donor threatening to pull support clearly doesn't have victims of cancer in mind (because s/he is threatening to not donate money to help the victims s/he claims to want to help).

Scrabble

Still crazy this caused so much outrage in the first place, even crazier that a charity didn't accept the money, but I'm really glad it was still able to help someone.

spirity

They put up another video where they show what they did with the money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffUSVfeODw

Ah man, thats so nice. When they pulled out that extra 7k I just teared up (I guess by not giving her the 14k together it increased the emotional effect when they gave her money the second time). But whatever, I guess the 'double whammy' is a tv trick a lot of shows do and I'm on with that. Its the end result that matters.

Bless that woman and bless those guys.

It's a good thing their donation got turned down. This was a much better outcome, especially if that IndieGogo takes off.

Haters be damned, these guys are great.

Yeah, some people are just humorless idiots.

Their argument was basically the women were pressured to consent to the moterboating for a good cause making the effort unethical. That, or the dual motive of the group to promote their channel at the same time rubbed people the wrong way.

I think the ends well justified the means though

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'd just like to repeat something that was said earlier in this thread, and reinforced by Mrs. Crystal Cody in the video. This has nothing to do with simple pickup or what is and isn't an appropriate way to donate money.
It's a simple truth that should be repeated every time the topic of breast cancer comes up:

Early Detection is the Most Important Factor Contributing to a Full Recovery

Let me say that again:

EARLY DETECTION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR CONTRIBUTING TO A FULL RECOVERY

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Their argument was basically the women were pressured to consent to the moterboating for a good cause making the effort unethical. That, or the dual motive of the group to promote their channel at the same time rubbed people the wrong way.

I think the ends well justified the means though

I don't think the means didn't really need that much justification to begin with anyway.

Authority

Banned
"A group of feminists".

I am shocked that a bunch of these types of Femis pulled that much pressure to force a charity to return money for a good cause back to its original owner. Can't believe they treated some young genuine souls like the biggest drug dealers.

Motorboating Girls for Breast Cancer Awareness Refunded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kCpkto-gI&feature=youtu.be

What I like about these boys is that they have got balls of steels and they don't give a fuck about how they are going to be remembered as, as long as they accomplish their goal. You can definitely see their determination in their eyes and the wont-give-up-attitude.

What is extremely hypocritical about charity raising is that these females are aware that a small or great amount of money is donated through big corporations (Macdonalds anyone?), military bodies (Would you like more blood sir?), prisoners and ex-criminals yet a bunch of young lads gets the shitstorm because they find women who voluntarily let them kiss/have fun.

Since they are so extremely self-righteous about it maybe they should deny ninety nine percent of all money because the fact is money doesn't come down from Heaven and if someone wished to track down where each money comes from you would only find one percent of it being "pure white".

I don't expect from a delusional minority to have track on reality because they will always be on some type of drug that denies complexity. I am pretty sure if these women had their friends/family with breast cancer would do the same and that the most hypocrisy you can ever get.

If I had to accept money from Devil itself to save or contribute to make someone's else life better I would do it without a doubt or hesitation. My personal bullshit is irrelevant to someone's else life or death matter.

Welcome to the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom