• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Egret II Mini

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Cute motherboard (not mine)

FM-lKqKVkAcXTE3

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seems like one of the best mini arcades. Still too small screen but the stick seems full size so that's cool, the rotating screen too. The game selection's pretty good with the trackball pad's additional 10 games that's 50 total. If it's been hacked to add more like you say then it's pretty damn awesome.

I wish a legit company put out something along these lines or bigger in size for a sensible price. I bought an icade thing for my brother in law back in the ipad2 days and it was aaaaawesome even with its low quality build and inputs, that sort of bartop size is just perfect, Idk why it didn't catch on...

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Seems like one of the best mini arcades. Still too small screen but the stick seems full size so that's cool, the rotating screen too. The game selection's pretty good with the trackball pad's additional 10 games that's 50 total. If it's been hacked to add more like you say then it's pretty damn awesome.

I wish a legit company put out something along these lines or bigger in size for a sensible price. I bought an icade thing for my brother in law back in the ipad2 days and it was aaaaawesome even with its low quality build and inputs, that sort of bartop size is just perfect, Idk why it didn't catch on...

Must be nice to make your own arcade machine too

But it's probably an expensive hobby

Krathoon

There is custom firmware that makes it boot Batocera from the SD slot. I am not certain if it breaks using the official SD cards. That would suck if it did.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Snagged the machine and the other controllers (spinner and knob) but never opened it. I did get an email a while back from the folks that made this with a firmware update. No idea what it does.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Snagged the machine and the other controllers (spinner and knob) but never opened it. I did get an email a while back from the folks that made this with a firmware update. No idea what it does.
Made it compatible with this new retro controller (+ bugfixes +some demo mode and change sound levels while paused shortcut things).
Forgot to mention before they also released 10 more games in SD card as Taito Arcade Memories Vol.1 and then made a Vol. 2 with some games for use with the above controller too. So it has 70 games officially.

Last edited:

Isa

I was checking that out as well as Sega’s Astro Mini. They look fun! Love classic arcade games!
I've got the Astro Mini mainly for Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder with my GF. We always have a blast with it, I just wish I bought another controller because trying to play for any length of time on that machine kills my hands sadly.

I wanted to get the Egret mini but sadly missed my chance. Looks cool though, Taito has some neat stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've got the Astro Mini mainly for Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder with my GF. We always have a blast with it, I just wish I bought another controller because trying to play for any length of time on that machine kills my hands sadly.

I wanted to get the Egret mini but sadly missed my chance. Looks cool though, Taito has some neat stuff.

Death Adder’s Revenge is exactly the reason I’d buy it. Drives me nuts that it’s never been released on consoles/PC.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Death Adder’s Revenge is exactly the reason I’d buy it. Drives me nuts that it’s never been released on consoles/PC.
Exaclty! As much as I love them, and I admit they are known for baffling decisions, but how the hell have they not even tried to put this at least digitally on any marketplace? Maybe they think people wouldn't care and thus not worth the investment? Regardless having an easier and more affordable way to play this would be appreciated by many.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Krathoon

Death Adder pretty much works in MAME too. It just has some minor shadow issues. Really I don't know what the problem is.

Krathoon

It really makes no sense why the haven't made a Golden Axe collection that has every single game and Death Adder.

calistan

I’ve got one but I’ve barely touched it in over a year. Not exactly the most sensible gaming purchase I’ve made, although it’s a nice little machine.

Somebody was porting Batocera to it, but I gave up waiting for that. Maybe it’s available now. The only update I made was to apply an official firmware that allows you to play the trackball/spinner games without having to use the SD card.

Speaking of the trackball add-on, has anybody got it working on PC yet? That would make it actually useful - the bundled trackball games were pretty dire.

Krathoon

I’ve got one but I’ve barely touched it in over a year. Not exactly the most sensible gaming purchase I’ve made, although it’s a nice little machine.

Somebody was porting Batocera to it, but I gave up waiting for that. Maybe it’s available now. The only update I made was to apply an official firmware that allows you to play the trackball/spinner games without having to use the SD card.

Speaking of the trackball add-on, has anybody got it working on PC yet? That would make it actually useful - the bundled trackball games were pretty dire.
There is an adapter out there that lets you use it with MAME on a PC. There is a reddit page that talks about how to set it up.

It is kind of awkward to set it up. Hopefully, someone streamlines it.

That was one of the reasons why I got the trackball/spinner controller.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Made it compatible with this new retro controller (+ bugfixes +some demo mode and change sound levels while paused shortcut things).
Forgot to mention before they also released 10 more games in SD card as Taito Arcade Memories Vol.1 and then made a Vol. 2 with some games for use with the above controller too. So it has 70 games officially.
That 2nd collection looks great. Thanks for the link!

Krathoon

The custom firmware with Batocera is out there. I am hoping it does not break the official SD card expansions.

It might not.

Krathoon

I notice that Play Asia has entries for the SD cards, but no way to buy them.

They are like a $100 each on eBay. I would rather go through Play Asia.

There are going for absurd prices.

Krathoon

Here is a good video that shows what is on the SD cards. The Vol 1 card seems to have the weirdest and coolest games.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't trust any such device. The input lag may be anywhere from barely tolerable to disgustingly bad.

calistan

There is an adapter out there that lets you use it with MAME on a PC. There is a reddit page that talks about how to set it up.

It is kind of awkward to set it up. Hopefully, someone streamlines it.

That was one of the reasons why I got the trackball/spinner controller.
Nice! Have you got a link to that page? I can't find anything other than the same old threads I was looking at in 2022.

Krathoon

There is also Taito Legends 1 and 2, which are abandonware. I leave it up to you to find them.

Those games did have Starforce on them and can mess up your OS. Be sure to find the cracked versions.

Krathoon

Nice! Have you got a link to that page? I can't find anything other than the same old threads I was looking at in 2022.
Here is the reddit page. A way to do it is in the comments. It is the comment where you just need a adafruit device and program it.

Last edited:

calistan

Here is the reddit page. A way to do it is in the comments. It is the comment where you just need a adafruit device and program it.

That's great, I'm going to give it a go. Looks like the enclosure needs to be 3D printed - I guess most people who mess around with Raspberry Pi stuff have access to 3D printers.

Krathoon

That's great, I'm going to give it a go. Looks like the enclosure needs to be 3D printed - I guess most people who mess around with Raspberry Pi stuff have access to 3D printers.
I guess you can wrap some electrical tape around it. They need to sell cases for those things.

Krathoon

From what I understand on the directions, it is all about programming the adafruit device. I don't think it programs the controller. Do I have the right idea?

Last edited:

calistan

From what I understand on the directions, it is all about programming the adafruit device. I don't think it programs the controller. Do I have the right idea?
Yes, sounds like you plug it into a USB port and drop a file onto it. Then it just behaves like any other adapter, and you'd unplug it to use the controller on the Egret Mini again.

I found a couple of different enclosures for 3D printing. This one is like the one shown in the reddit thread:
https://www.printables.com/model/487546-feather-rp2040-usb-host-case

There are people selling them on etsy, but only US seller and I'm in the UK. I need to find a local 3D printing shop that doesn't charge a minimum fee.

Krathoon

I got my Egret II Mini, gamepads, and spinner/trackball in the mail today. I hooked it up to the tv and tried it out. Pretty good.
I still have to test out the spinner/trackball.

krumble

I looked up a few months ago about the custom firmware and batocera and downloaded the image files for it but haven't dabbled yet, there have been several firmware updates since the original shipped, so my first step would be to update the firmware to the latest, which again is a task in itself
However running the custom firmware is still doable on latest firmware and in the event of needing to go back to official firmware so that you can then load a new version upgrade it also seems fairly straight forward.
A guy on YouTube has a load of vids on this, but the active scene is on telegram and is a mixture of peeps from around the world on the channel.

Krathoon

Does the custom firmware still let you use the official SD cards? It sounds like it does.

I don't want to break that.

It would be great to get Batocera and MAME on it. That would make it an all around arcade machine.

Pretty convienent too.

calistan

Just got the Pi board to make a PC adapter for the trackball/spinner. Now I'm waiting on a 3D print order for the enclosure, and also for my PC to be back in action (it's currently in storage while we're redecorating the house).

RBJJtL9.jpg

calistan

Finally got my PC back online and tested out the controller adapter. It works! Requires some fiddling with options in MAME, but the spinner works with Tempest and the trackball works with Centipede. It even works with Tempest 2000 in the Atari 50 compilation, although the spinner is far too slow there.

With the adapter the PC sees it as a mouse with five buttons. The spinner duplicates the mouse x axis. A lot of games in MAME have analogue control disabled by default, so that needed to be turned on before it would see the controller.

LZqG6AA.jpg

Top Bottom