• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Durante

Yeah, Fallout 3 with 32xCSAA and trMSAA was marvelous in terms of image quality.

But I'm not sure that this is something that mods can really fix. I don't even fully understand the problem (the symptoms are that some effects get completely transparent if you try to force transparency MSAA in Skyrim).

But trSSAA is not that bad.

NBtoaster

I've never been able to get the trees like that. Maybe it's a limitation of playing a 900p monitor, 1080p+ probably brings out a lot more detail.

With Fallout 3 I dont think it used true transparency MSAA, it messed with the textures themeselves to get a smoother gradient and added detail: close up off, on

Dunno if you could do something similar with a texture pack.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chalk me up as another who doesn't seem to have received much, if at all, of a performance boost from Skyboost. i5 2500K oc'd to 4.3Ghz here. Both SkyBoost.asi and dinput8.dll are in the Skyrim directory (where the executables are), and yeah, no real noticeable improvement here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chalk me up as another who doesn't seem to have received much, if at all, of a performance boost from Skyboost. i5 2500K oc'd to 4.3Ghz here. Both SkyBoost.asi and dinput8.dll are in the Skyrim directory (where the executables are), and yeah, no real noticeable improvement here.

Other HW parts out of curiosity? And do you have anything intensive in the BG?

gotee12

You wouldn't happen to have d3d9.dll in the skyrim folder? It was one of the earlier attempts at boosting framerate shortly after the game launched. I had forgotten and left it in there and the skyboost stuff bugs out if d3d9.dll is there. Once I deleted it, skyboost finally kicked in for me.

LiquidMetal14

8GB RAM, GTX 570. No intensive applications going on in the background.
Not much different spec here in terms of performance. 8GB RAM, 2500k@4.7, and 1GB 6970. I was getting performance gains even when I my CPU was at 4.5.

Yeah, I have the same except instead of a GTX 570 I have a 6950 and my CPU is clocked 0.1 Ghz less. Also don't get a boost.
Again, it's really odd since I'm running MSI Afterburner, Fraps, RadeonPro, MSE, MagicJack software, Motionjoy, and other BG apps and had performance gains regardless. I gained a little more when I went to 4.7 but that was not as big adding TESVAL or Skyboost. I have an edited ini for better LOD and am drawing more and rendering much more than vanilla SKyrim.

Oh, its only for ebony armor? Too bad since i decided to make a sneaky thief for my 2nd character and light armor is better for them since it make less noise.

You can get an upgrade for Heavy Armour in the tree to make Heavy Armour silent like light Armour :) Because I am a silent assassin as well :p

try Gionight's
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5516

seems the most balanced thus far

OMG YES... YES... I've been waiting eagerly for him to update his settings for 0.102 and put them up online, SWEET SWEET SWEET!!!

neoism

5516-2-1325927221.jpg

Damn

Grinchy

Banned
You wouldn't happen to have d3d9.dll in the skyrim folder? It was one of the earlier attempts at boosting framerate shortly after the game launched. I had forgotten and left it in there and the skyboost stuff bugs out if d3d9.dll is there. Once I deleted it, skyboost finally kicked in for me.

I just noticed that I had d3d9.dll in my folder. Is that something official that was used? I purposely haven't modded my game at all so I don't know how it would have gotten there otherwise.

edit- nvm that was just the old ATI thing

Some new pics of my Character, I've changed the face, made her less... 'average' but not so different.

It's still a work in progress, I don't like the hair, I've been using Coolsim's Hair Pack but I don't think I like it, the hair is sweet for sure, but it's just not hair suitable for a Skyrim Game, it's too clean. Probably going to go back to one of the default hair's or see what other hair is out there - I think a Bob might look good on her, or perhaps a Quiff.

ibujgeoCsS515p.jpg

ibxlPbCKctVC4X.jpg

ibnz5ZZIYGvfsF.jpg

I DEFINITELY need to change the face pack, I liked the 'covergirl' look for a little while, but it's too smooth, I need to go back to the standard type of skin, but I really like the lips at the moment, so gotta play around more. Will update more as I go.

I think the armour I'm wearing has been updated as well so hopefully I'll be able to give a better shot of that in better detail as well. Oh, and I'm also using a non nude realistic skin texture for the body now instead of 'super clean' which is so much better, she has moles, and skin problems, this is what makes me want to fix the face, because it's so different now.

LiquidMetal14

Colonial, I want you to get on the prostitutes of Skyrim weekly feature stat!

And so folks know, the Book of Alchemy and or better rain need to be left on as taking them out may cause glitches and the game will ask you if you want to load the game minus key items. I'm fairly sure that it's the book of Alchemy (which is neat mind you) that causes this but I am just going by the some random theory on that. It's pretty much the alchemy book mod so beware.

Colonial, I want you to get on the prostitutes of Skyrim weekly feature stat!

And so folks know, the Book of Alchemy and or better rain need to be left on as taking them out may cause glitches and the game will ask you if you want to load the game minus key items. I'm fairly sure that it's the book of Alchemy (which is neat mind you) that causes this but I am just going by the some random theory on that. It's pretty much the alchemy book mod so beware.

Lol... my character aint no Prostitute nuh uh! lol

So how good are the new SkyUI menus? I've been using QD Inventory for chests and barters but I don't like the alchemy and enchanting menus. And will they ever fix the inherent problem between highlighted lines and where the mouse is? It still feels too consolized. I frequently exit the menu when trading because of the mixup. It needs to be fixed more than anything. And then there's the keyboard bindings (R is either drop, give, or take all; F is stuck for favoriting and 3rd person; etc, etc), UGHHH.

neoism

guys could someone please answer this if possible... I looked on google but got nothing. Is there a prefs.ini command for shadows on the character. it's terrible looking.

wilflare

just updated to SkyUI 2.0 as well.
just hope they can allow me to sell what's on my Follower without me having to trade things back. (or allow me to put my Inventory and the Follower's Inventory side-by-side so I can compare what to drop when we are both encumbered -.-)

Using:
Skyboost
SkyUI (2.0)
Xenuis Character Enhancement (1.1)
A Quality World Map with Roads - All Roads (6.0)
Glowing Ore Veins 300 (2.0)
Skyrim ENB by Gionight (1.1) - the most balance one I found, really makes Skyrim less dull.
Skyrim HD (1.3) - had to manual install this.

and Skyrim looks pretty good and plays well for me thus far :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know what GAF. Fuck it, I think I am going to buy a PC that is capable of playing Skyrim with the very best graphical fidelity and with all these awesome mods installed. If there is a game capable of seducing me to do this, this might be it.

A question though, I am really an absolutely and totally a noob in regards to PC so... can you guy help me in approximating the amount of money I need to spend and what kind of products/brands I need to buy that will give the best value in terms of money/performance ratio?

gotee12

You know what GAF. Fuck it, I think I am going to buy a PC that is capable of playing Skyrim with the very best graphical fidelity and with all these awesome mods installed. If there is a game capable of seducing me to do this, this might be it.

A question though, I am really an absolutely and totally a noob in regards to PC so... can you guy help me in approximating the amount of money I need to spend and what kind of products/brands I need to buy that will give the best value in terms of money/performance ratio?

Bingo bango...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

SlickVic

Installed SkyUI but forgot to install SKSE as well. I noticed SkyUI still works in game (just get a message about SKSE being missing when I access the inventory), so I'm sort of curious what exactly I'm missing out on by not having SKSE running as well.

RedSwirl

What I'd like to see is some shots of ENB with all the post-processing effects but the same color palette as Vanilla.

Dwayne

Installed SkyUI but forgot to install SKSE as well. I noticed SkyUI still works in game (just get a message about SKSE being missing when I access the inventory), so I'm sort of curious what exactly I'm missing out on by not having SKSE running as well.

I think you can't see if an item is enchanted and such (using their inline icons).

NBtoaster

This config is money. Really good. Runs good looks good.

What are the nights like? Almost every ENB has had either super dark or just awful looking nights.

edit: just tried it. Nights are neither dark or bad. Seems like one of the better configs so far. Disabled the SSAO though, don;t know how people can stand that.

HildyB

Just a cursory glance through it was enough to make my head hurt, hahaha. If possible I would rather buy a complete set... you know, the one where everything has been assembled and working instead of purchasing the parts one by one and combining them myself.

I'll try to peruse it more seriously though, for thoughts and considerations. Thanks.

At the bottom of the spread sheet are sites, the last few sites in each region do Built-to-order computers.

SlickVic

I think you can't see if an item is enchanted and such (using their inline icons).

Haven't really run into enchanted stuff yet (guess I'm too early in the game), but that does sound important. Guess it's worth it to just go ahead and install SKSE then.

JVIDICAN

Just a cursory glance through it was enough to make my head hurt, hahaha. If possible I would rather buy a complete set... you know, the one where everything has been assembled and working instead of purchasing the parts one by one and combining them myself.

I'll try to peruse it more seriously though, for thoughts and considerations. Thanks.

It's honestly not that bad. As long as you order your together they'll usually come in one shipment. Assembly, besides attaching the heat sink to the motherboard and the motherboard to the case, is basically just plugging in the appropriate power cable and/or data cable.(making it look nice is a different matter. :p)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's honestly not that bad. As long as you order your together they'll usually come in one shipment. Assembly, besides attaching the heat sink to the motherboard and the motherboard to the case, is basically just plugging in the appropriate power cable and/or data cable.(making it look nice is a different matter. :p)

I'm going to be honest with you: I am horrible at stuff like that, hahaha. Making a mess over the simplest of things when assembling something has been a very bad forte of mine.

Is there a way to get that colour and lighting without using ENB?

my fps goes down to like 20 when I have it enabled, even with AO off.

Jtrizzy

I'm going to be honest with you: I am horrible at stuff like that, hahaha. Making a mess over the simplest of things when assembling something has been a very bad forte of mine.

There are links to pre built pc's in that thread, if not go to the 2011 thread. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you aren't comfortable, it isn't as easy as the vets around here make it out to be. I would also wait for the nvidia 6xx series gpu's to come out, but that isn't till this summer iirc. I'm hoping they will be able to run Skyrim at 1080p/60 with mods, but that might be unrealistic.

wilflare

What are the nights like? Almost every ENB has had either super dark or just awful looking nights.

edit: just tried it. Nights are neither dark or bad. Seems like one of the better configs so far. Disabled the SSAO though, don;t know how people can stand that.

what exactly does SSAO do?
how did u disable it?

NBtoaster

what exactly does SSAO do?
how did u disable it?

SSAO is a form of contact shadowing. A shadow will appear around two objects close to each other.

I find its quality in ENB to be dreadful (creates dark blobs in the distance and flickers a lot), so i turn it off. You just change "EnableAmbientOcclusion=true" in ENBseries.ini to =false.

wilflare

SSAO is a form of contact shadowing. A shadow will appear around two objects close to each other.

I find its quality in ENB to be dreadful (creates dark blobs in the distance and flickers a lot), so i turn it off. You just change "EnableAmbientOcclusion=true" in ENBseries.ini to =false.

will give it a try later.
though i have to be honest, what i see is nowhere near the screenies that Gionight made

EDIT: hmm maybe it's just different when u try to find nice angles to take a shot. haha
though Whiterun looks rather sweet with Gionight + Skyrim HD

Count me in the group that sees no difference with Skyboost, machine is i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz, oh well, capping the game to 45fps with bandicam gives me awesome performance.

Anyone knows if SkyUI is worth using if you only play the game with a gamepad?

LiquidMetal14

Count me in the group that sees no difference with Skyboost, machine is i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz, oh well, capping the game to 45fps with bandicam gives me awesome performance.

Anyone knows if SkyUI is worth using if you only play the game with a gamepad?

Sure, it's pretty good. I use it alongside a controller mod.

Some new screens to share - here we are with some shots from my game with Gionights settings.

It's all good, except I feel like the AA isn't working properly or something...

isJ9JYtLtimz.jpg

ibjFZACyiTwptn.jpg

ipFS5f0LYvr3s.jpg

ihCuLU97fgpta.jpg

iAOwY1BhdPpA8.jpg

itIRF7EkIg3fQ.jpg

isnpEoPc9JgWW.jpg

ibsjFVwFq1OtC.jpg

LINK to slightly NSFW one It's not really NSFW but I don't want to post it in this thread heh. I just more want to show off the skin texture I'm using with this one, it's good!

These shots are really just to show off my new armour... damn I love my new armour, it's fucken way over the top sick awesome like crazy anime style, but it kind of works... JUST.

Top Bottom