• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

Cryptozoologist said:
Yeah there's like 280 perks total (including levels of individual perks) and you can realistically expect to get 50 levels and perks.
The hardcap is somewhere in the 70s (Max all 18 skills), so if you want to, you can have up to 70+ perks.

v0mitg0d said:
:D

Ac2_Z8HCAAAyFed.jpg

I hate you with the power of a million exploding suns.

Chris R

Might rent the game via Redbox to see just how janky the original release is. If it isn't too bad I'll probably pony up and get the steam version during the winter sales (should knock at least $10 off, bring it to the price it should be right now :p ) instead of waiting for the GOTY edition to come out late 2013 :(

Khezu

abundant said:
The hardcap is somewhere in the 70s (Max all 18 skills), so if you want to, you can have up to 70+ perks.

Really curious to see how effective the "softcap" at 50 is, if its even worth it to bother leveling past 50.

blame space said:
i want to play this on PC but I can probably get the console version before the official release date.. it's going to be hard.

Get the PC version and just wait a couple of days. You can do it!

Kyaw

Very nice OP. Clean and very informative without the use of many images.

Quite hyped for this after almost no media.

bengraven

Lyphen said:
I don't think it's been destroyed, or at least, I haven't heard about it. I just thought the Argonians invaded and kicked the Dunmer out after Red Mountain erupted.

Red Mountain destroyed most of the island. It's like WoW Cataclysm in Morrowind now.

Philthy

Going over the OP, the game seems like it might be disappointing. It looks like we lose skills, instead of gaining more. We lose item slots, instead of gaining more. We lose stats, instead of.. you get the idea.

For an RPG, why are they removing so many things that draws people into RPGs?

I was kind of expecting more armor slots, double the amount of skills, etc. Is this purely an action game rather than an RPG now?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm a total Elder Scrolls newbie (except for playing DAGGERFALL years and years ago and having *no* clue what I was doing, I didn't even know how to attack....)

Any suggestions on a race/class combo for someone like me? Is magic generally regarded in the series? Sword and Board? Ranged?

Is there any combo that is similar to the Pyromancer in Dark Souls, a good place for a beginner to start? Or just whatever takes my fancy?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It should become a standard that OTs have links to alternate custom game covers.

Fantastic OP. Cannot wait to do some dragon shouting.

Garryk said:
So I can buy the nerdy CE, get my dragon statue, and still register it on Steam?
Pretty much. Get the nerdy CE with everything you want, enter the key from the manual into Steam, and kick back.

Woorloog

Banned
Philthy said:
Going over the OP, the game seems like it might be disappointing. It looks like we lose skills, instead of gaining more. We lose item slots, instead of gaining more. We lose stats, instead of.. you get the idea.

I was kind of expecting more armor slots, double the amount of skills, etc. Is this purely an action game rather than an RPG now?
The series has always been action RPG series. As for reducing skills, having a skill for each weapon type is not good, that simply makes people use the skill that has best weapons (ie Blade in earlier games). Similar skills have been merged though sneak was split to sneaking and pickpocketing. More is not better automatically (nor less), let's try out the changes first and then judge it.

Chris R

aidan said:
I'm a total Elder Scrolls newbie (except for playing DAGGERFALL years and years ago and having *no* clue what I was doing, I didn't even know how to attack....)

Any suggestions on a race/class combo for someone like me? Is magic generally regarded in the series? Sword and Board? Ranged?

Is there any combo that is similar to the Pyromancer in Dark Souls, a good place for a beginner to start? Or just whatever takes my fancy?
The thing is each of those choices will work. I normally play a stealthy archer and it works. I did have a magic only character in Morrowind, and it totally worked (made the game crazy easy though once I had the system down).

No idea if there is a preferred beginning setup, but if there was I'd imagine it to be 1h+shield.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Never played an Elder Scrolls game before, is this one worth it for a newbie? I still have 5 other games i plan to get before the end of the year(Zelda SS, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Batman Arkham City, Rayman Origins). Should i add this one to the list too if i don't know what to expect? I like RPGs but i dont know anything about this franchise to be honest.

Woorloog

Banned
aidan said:

Magic is usually viable. There are no classes, instead you use skill you want and it gains levels.
If you like fire...
Since you can dual wield magic, try leveling Destruction and One Handed (1h weapons, duh), a weapon in one hand and fireball in the other. Do you like armor or not? If not then you probably want Alteration which has shield and other utility spells. As for races, they're mostly cosmetic, each has racial abilities but those are marginal at best probably (assuming they balanced Adrenaline Rush) and skill bonuses to certain skills but those are only starting bonuses, late game your race doesn't matter.
As you can gain some 50 perks at most, pic a few skills, 3-to-5 you concentrate on.

Philthy

Woorloog said:
The series has always been action RPG series. As for reducing skills, having a skill for each weapon type is not good, that simply makes people use the skill that has best weapons (ie Blade in earlier games). Similar skills have been merged though sneak was split to sneaking and pickpocketing. More is not better automatically (nor less), let's try out the changes first and then judge it.

Right, and it took me a while to like Oblivion after playing Morrowind. I'm just worried they went even further. Oblivion was great, but not Morrowind great. I just don't want to end up posting "Skyrim was great, but not Oblivion great, and certainly not Morrowind great" a year from now.

I rarely play games any more, but I think I'll be coming out of retirement for Skyrim. I played so much Oblivion when it came out that I knew the landscapes inside and out. Can't wait to explore more of TES world.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bisnic said:
Never played an Elder Scrolls game before, is this one worth it for a newbie? I still have 5 other games i plan to get before the end of the year(Zelda SS, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Batman Arkham City, Rayman Origins). Should i add this one to the list too if i don't know what to expect? I like RPGs but i dont know anything about this franchise to be honest.
Scrap those other games, play Skyrim.

Derrick01

Banned
Philthy said:

Stop reminding me of all the bad things! lol.... :(

Philthy said:

I think you forgot the part where they added 280 perks.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Derrick01 said:
Stop reminding me of all the bad things! lol.... :(
These aren't bad things.

Just the ramblings of a guy who thought Acrobatics and Athleticism were good skills.

Derrick01

Banned
Lyphen said:
These aren't bad things.

Just the ramblings of a guy who thought Acrobatics and Athleticism were good skills.

I've had a problem with some of the reductions though, mainly taking away item degradation and a couple of the armor slots. I mean I love finding loot but if all I can find is a chestpiece or leg armor then there at least better be 100 different kinds of them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lyphen said:
Scrap those other games, play Skyrim.

I'm not going to scrap games from franchises i know and love to buy a game i don't know anything about. ;p Maybe i should just ask it for christmas. I'll have 2 weeks of break during the holidays. Plenty of time for a huge RPG.

SorchaR

rhfb said:
The thing is each of those choices will work. I normally play a stealthy archer and it works. I did have a magic only character in Morrowind, and it totally worked (made the game crazy easy though once I had the system down).

No idea if there is a preferred beginning setup, but if there was I'd imagine it to be 1h+shield.

Knowing TES games, Sword and Board with a bit of Restoration (heals and buffs) thrown in should do fine. Carry a bow for when you need a ranged attack, wear the armor you like the look off best (heavy armor is bulkier and weighs more but offers more protection at the start, light armor gives a more barbarian look and feel and you can carry more loot. In the end both are fine.) Get some points in either lock picking or alteration to get past locked doors and chests. The rest is up to you, but as long as you got those skills you should be fine.

There are generally speaking multiple ways of doing the same thing in TES games, and any way will do. If skills lag behind there are enchanted items, scrolls and potions to help you out. And you are never locked in your class choice, you can always level up low level skills later.

CyReN said:
It would come up at 11:11am lol.
It had to. :lol

I was gonna do it at 11:11 am GMT, then at 11:11am GMT+1 (my own local time), but because I was waiting for Nick Breckon to contact me I postponed it to 11:11am Bethesda time. :lol

And there's one tiny detail in the banner some of SkyrimGAF (if such a thing even exists) might notice if they compare it with the version I showed them a couple of days ago.

Woorloog

Banned
-Yeti said:
So there's one thing I'm not sure of.. Do weapons and armor degrade due to combat still?
No.
Smithing focuses on improving and crafting armor and weapon.
You can sharpen a weapon temporarily.

zlatko

Banned
Question for those who have the game or are super informed:

Do I have a weight limit for inventory, or can I hoard to my hearts content?

Khezu

Derrick01 said:
I've had a problem with some of the reductions though, mainly taking away item degradation and a couple of the armor slots. I mean I love finding loot but if all I can find is a chestpiece or leg armor then there at least better be 100 different kinds of them.

Well degradation isn't completely gone, weapons and armor just can't go below 100%, if you use smithing, you can raise your gear to 200%, and it degrades normally back to 100%. Not really the same thing, but its uh something I guess.

-Yeti said:
So there's one thing I'm not sure of.. Do weapons and armor degrade due to combat still?
No. It's in the OT, too:

Armor and weapons no longer degrade

Instead, you can use your Smithing skill to temporarily improve your weapon and armor stats, and you can craft new weapons and armors from raw components as well.

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I rarely play games any more, but I think I'll be coming out of retirement for Skyrim. I played so much Oblivion when it came out that I knew the landscapes inside and out. Can't wait to explore more of TES world.
Ha! There's an old face (figuratively, not literally) from Oblivion GAF.

Good to see you again, Jedi. Why the hiatus?

Woorloog

Banned
zlatko said:
Question for those who have the game or are super informed:

Do I have a weight limit for inventory, or can I hoard to my hearts content?
Stamina determines the limit. Focus every level on stamina and you can carry a lot of stuff (and die easily and don't have magicka to cast...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom