• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

After a couple months of not touching Skyrim I started up a new play-through today with a handful of mods. This game is amazing, already stumbled upon a few things I didn't see with my previous two characters. Such an amazing game, helps getting rid of the sour taste ME3 left with me.

Monzcarro, Imperial.

V677H.png

Triss Armor
Hair Pack
Cloaks of Skyrim
JaySuS Swords
Better Female Faces
Enhanced Night Sky

Are the mods seen in the screenshot, however I'm also using...

Sounds of Skyrim: The Wilds
SkyUI
Wars in Skyrim
Camping

So there's really no way, no mod, no tweak to have your character cast a shadow while in 1st person mode?

I don't think so. I remember there being a mod that makes first person more "realistic" by basically making it third-person mode but with the camera in your character's head. That way, your PC has an actual body to cast a shadow...

But it also looks awkward as hell to play.

1stStrike

Banned
After a couple months of not touching Skyrim I started up a new play-through today with a handful of mods. This game is amazing, already stumbled upon a few things I didn't see with my previous two characters. Such an amazing game, helps getting rid of the sour taste ME3 left with me.

Monzcarro, Imperial.

V677H.png

Triss Armor
Hair Pack
Cloaks of Skyrim
JaySuS Swords
Better Female Faces
Enhanced Night Sky

Are the mods seen in the screenshot, however I'm also using...

Sounds of Skyrim: The Wilds
SkyUI
Wars in Skyrim
Camping

Cloaks of skyrim is pretty cool, although your armor tends to clip through it. I picked up a cloak that gave +60 HP last night which is a god send for a mage like me with low HP. I was just like "fuck yeah!".

Oh, and you need these mods:

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons

Realistic Lighting
Better Dynamic Snow
A Quality World Map

Grymm

Banned
I don't think so. I remember there being a mod that makes first person more "realistic" by basically making it third-person mode but with the camera in your character's head. That way, your PC has an actual body to cast a shadow...

But it also looks awkward as hell to play.

I just searched the nexus looking for what you're describing and couldn't find it.

It's just so... weird seeing this beautiful game and yet there's this one simple thing that's missing where ever you look and it happens to be your own shadow. I can't get past it.

I just searched the nexus looking for what you're describing and couldn't find it.

It's just so... weird seeing this beautiful game and yet there's this one simple thing that's missing where ever you look and it happens to be your own shadow. I can't get past it.

Here's one. It's very weird. And apparently, it's bugged, so the player model doesn't cast a shadow either. :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, is there a place I should be going for armor and weapons? I'm level 37 and have not gotten any new weapons for hours upon hours. I have a glass mace that does 49 damage now and an ebony bow that does 52. Haven't found anything better forever, and the mace seems to be doing less and less to enemies.

Taken a break from this game so it wouldn't fully complete the devouring of my soul, but anyways, now that the Steam version supports mods directly can I find all of these mods (like cloaks and the like) through Steam? Or should I keep my Nexus Mod Manager around?

1stStrike

Banned
Taken a break from this game so it wouldn't fully complete the devouring of my soul, but anyways, now that the Steam version supports mods directly can I find all of these mods (like cloaks and the like) through Steam? Or should I keep my Nexus Mod Manager around?

Stick with Nexus, it's better. Also, a lot of the modders have opted to use Nexus only so you won't find their mods (or if you do, the updates won't be there) on Steam Works.

Stick with Nexus, it's better. Also, a lot of the modders have opted to use Nexus only so you won't find their mods (or if you do, the updates won't be there) on Steam Works.

The Workshop's automatic update is nice. Nexus forces you to go to the browser, click to download, disable and delete the old mod, and finally activate the new one.

But yes, a lot of stuff is only on Nexus.

RiverBed

Banned
Quick question: Has the PS3 version been patched for performance yet? If ot, can I use a pad to play it on PC?
My only gaming options are PC or PS3, and I really love an open world like tES series where I can just roam without worrying about time, objectives or anything else.

Thanks.

Quick question: Has the PS3 version been patched for performance yet? If ot, can I use a pad to play it on PC?
My only gaming options are PC or PS3, and I really love an open world like tES series where I can just roam without worrying about time, objectives or anything else.

Thanks.

Yes and yes.

NZNova

Managed to get rid of the horrible artifacts I was getting by turning off antialiasing. Ugh, I'm forever having problems with AMD graphics hardware, might be time to switch. Anyway, I'm now able to get into the game and start playing (it's been on the backlog for a while). How does wearing heavy armour gimp your magic use, if at all?

GhaleonEB

Seems hopeless, I can't find any new weapons at all. Agh.

I went through a long spell where the only way I got better weapons was through smithing and enchanting (and their associated perks). There's definitely long period of time where that's the only way to get new, worthwhile gear outside of the quest lines.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I went through a long spell where the only way I got better weapons was through smithing and enchanting (and their associated perks). There's definitely long period of time where that's the only way to get new, worthwhile gear outside of the quest lines.

I finished the main quest yesterday. Mopping up stuff now. Didn't figure a glass mace and glass dagger would be my best weapons for like 10 levels lol.

Started another playthrough yesterday, still hadn't tackled the Companions questline. And as I'm making my way back from Dustman's Cairn in the wee hours of the morning I come across that wandering bard near the Western Watchtower where you fight Mirmulnir. I ask him to sing "The Age of Agression", and as he does I notice a Whiterun guard standing on a nearby broken wall. He pulls out a mug of ale and starts dancing as the sun's first rays peek over the mountaintops. When the singer's finished, Farkas behinds me starts clapping.

Amazing how those characters interacted.

Loxley

Is there any place to download the more popular Skyrim mods aside from Nexus? Every time I try to register with them I always get a damn error, and you can't download mods over 2mb (so, most of them) unless you're registered for some inexplicable reason. It's really annoying that most of the awesome mods seemed to be funneled through one site ><

Sblargh

Banned
I'm doing a run with a stealth character and since I can't defeat stuff hand to hand, I started killing random people at a distance with the bow, just in case they are bandits.
After killing a courier, I realized... I am the bandit.

Well, the Companions questline went kinda fast. All those other newbs were telling me how awesome the Circle is and how hard you have to work to get in. I cleared out one freaking cave infested with cave trolls and suddenly the Circle was all like "
Whoa, you're totally badass, you should be a werewolf.
"

Kinda lame.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, the Companions questline went kinda fast. All those other newbs were telling me how awesome the Circle is and how hard you have to work to get in. I cleared out one freaking cave infested with cave trolls and suddenly the Circle was all like "Whoa, you're totally badass, you should be a werewolf."

Kinda lame.

Yeah, I thought it would be longer. You're all like, "This is going to take forever" and then you do a few missions and they're all just like "DRINK MY BLOOD!" "NO, DRINK MY BLOOD!"

TheTowel

Well, the Companions questline went kinda fast. All those other newbs were telling me how awesome the Circle is and how hard you have to work to get in. I cleared out one freaking cave infested with cave trolls and suddenly the Circle was all like "Whoa, you're totally badass, you should be a werewolf."

Kinda lame.

That's Skyrim for ya.

That's Skyrim for ya.

Well, the main quest is pretty much this:

Spoilar alertz

"Dude, a dragon!" - "Whoa, that dude can kill dragons!" - "Yo, I heard you can kill dragons, but I'm not sure yet." - "You can kill a dragon? Show me." - "We don't know shit about no dragons." - "I'm an old man, I know about dragons." - "Here be dragons." - "Dude, you're a dragon!" - "You need to do this to kill more dragons." - "Time traveling dragons, bitches!" - "You're gonna need to capture a dragon." - "All right, let's go finish some dragons."

The Dark Brotherhood:

"Old lady is dead!" - "Wait, why am I in this cabin?" - "Everyone is dead!" - "Oh look, assassins!" - "I kill people!" - "Hey, dead lady corpse can speak." - "More killing!" - "Kill the Emperor?" - "More killing!" - "I'll do it, I'll kill the Emperor!" - "More killing!" - "The Emperor is dead!" - "Lolno." - "For reals now."

The Thieves Guild:

"I wanna steal shit." - "Go steal this shit." - "Keep stealing this shit." - "Yo, come with me so I can betray you." - "Yo, translate this shit so I can find that guy." - "MOAR STEALING!" - "Yo, that guy stole from us!" - "All right, let's go steal... HIS LIFE!"

The College of Winterhold:

"MAGIC, motherfuckers." - "Whoa dude, giant floaty orb-thing." - "Teleporting person!" - "Evil Thalmor, who'd have thunk it." - "Go and magic that shit." - "MOAR MAGIC!" - "Magic can blow shit up? Shit!" - "Well, magic prevails!"

But then the Companions...

"Yo dude, kill this guy." - "Hyper-exclusive werewolf group!" - "Go kill a troll!" - "Lol, okay, you can join, lol." - "Lol, everyone's dead." - "Sovngarde? Fuck it."

1stStrike

Banned
Well, the main quest is pretty much this:

Spoilar alertz

"Dude, a dragon!" - "Whoa, that dude can kill dragons!" - "Yo, I heard you can kill dragons, but I'm not sure yet." - "You can kill a dragon? Show me." - "We don't know shit about no dragons." - "I'm an old man, I know about dragons." - "Here be dragons." - "Dude, you're a dragon!" - "You need to do this to kill more dragons." - "Time traveling dragons, bitches!" - "You're gonna need to capture a dragon." - "All right, let's go finish some dragons."

The Dark Brotherhood:

"Old lady is dead!" - "Wait, why am I in this cabin?" - "Everyone is dead!" - "Oh look, assassins!" - "I kill people!" - "Hey, dead lady corpse can speak." - "More killing!" - "Kill the Emperor?" - "More killing!" - "I'll do it, I'll kill the Emperor!" - "More killing!" - "The Emperor is dead!" - "Lolno." - "For reals now."

The Thieves Guild:

"I wanna steal shit." - "Go steal this shit." - "Keep stealing this shit." - "Yo, come with me so I can betray you." - "Yo, translate this shit so I can find that guy." - "MOAR STEALING!" - "Yo, that guy stole from us!" - "All right, let's go steal... HIS LIFE!"

The College of Winterhold:

"MAGIC, motherfuckers." - "Whoa dude, giant floaty orb-thing." - "Teleporting person!" - "Evil Thalmor, who'd have thunk it." - "Go and magic that shit." - "MOAR MAGIC!" - "Magic can blow shit up? Shit!" - "Well, magic prevails!"

But then the Companions...

"Yo dude, kill this guy." - "Hyper-exclusive werewolf group!" - "Go kill a troll!" - "Lol, okay, you can join, lol." - "Lol, everyone's dead." - "Sovngarde? Fuck it."

That was pure gold. I got some good laughs throughout that lol.

Now we just need to turn that into comic form.

Sblargh

Banned
This is why I think Elder Scrolls should build on Daggerfall and be more of a "adventure life simulator" instead of "become the leader of everything and yet all that changes is that guards randomly recognizes how important you are now and then".

Elder Scrolls should kind of be minecraft HD with a battle system.

This is why I think Elder Scrolls should build on Daggerfall and be more of a "adventure life simulator" instead of "become the leader of everything and yet all that changes is that guards randomly recognizes how important you are now and then".

Elder Scrolls should kind of be minecraft HD with a battle system.

I agree. Heck, for all I care they can just take out all the guilds and populate the world with a gazilion sidequests that are more fleshed out than what we have now. Have factions interact with eachother. If you do a job for Count Bluberblab, Count Blaberblub's people grow more suspicious of you or just plain out refure to talk to you. If you buy a house somewhere, have the townspeople recognize it and distrust/trust you, regarding on what you do for them. Have them come to your door with their problems when you're alone, or let them leave letters asking for your help.

And about the whole interaction-thing, one thing I really wanted since Oblivion is the ability to knock on people's doors. Right now, you just enter and hope they won't be mad at you. If you need to talk to someone but their door is locked, knock on the door. Tell 'em what's up. You can still break in if you want.

Audioboxer

Still no console patch?

Sony and MS really need to get their act in gear for the patching process next generation - It's closed hardware and they take fucking ages to approve a patch :/

Well, the Companions questline went kinda fast. All those other newbs were telling me how awesome the Circle is and how hard you have to work to get in. I cleared out one freaking cave infested with cave trolls and suddenly the Circle was all like "Whoa, you're totally badass, you should
be a werewolf
."

Kinda lame.

If I hadn't just done that part I'd be pretty annoyed with your spoiler. 80 hours in and didn't know this was a thing.

If I hadn't just done that part I'd be pretty annoyed with your spoiler. 80 hours in and didn't know this was a thing.

The game's been out for almost four months now, there's a point where you should be able to start discussing things without having it look like a typewriter threw up over it, imo. I'm sorry if I spoiled anyone, but at this point you need to expect anything when heading into a discussion thread.

After taking some time away from Skyrim to play Mass Effect 3, I'm not itching to get back into the game. So much more to explore and I think the break will make it a fresh return. Looking forward to delving back in.

One thing I'd really want for a next installment (but which will never happen) is that instead of create a character, you create a world. Like in MMO's or in Minecraft, how you can create a server, but then on a single-player level. You create one instance of the world of Skyrim, and create a character in it. You do some quests, change the world a bit, etcetera. Then you get bored of your character, so you can create a new one... In the same world. You pick what village to start out from, and you're placed in the world at the latest savegame you made with your character. The two (or more) savegames would keep track of the changes the corresponding characters made. If one of your characters became a member of the Thieves Guild and completed the questline, you wouldn't be able to run through 'em again with another character in the same world. You'd be able to join, but only be able to do certain fetch quests and the like.

And of course, you could always just create an entirely new world if you so desire.

I dunno, it'd require some changes to the way the quest systems work and so on, perhaps the leveling system too, but I'd love seeing something like this. It'd be a great way to reintroduce the class system, as well, to create some character differentiation.

Dugstar

Neo Member
Not sure if its been mentioned but SkyUI is a must now for me as Bethesda s menus system although functional, SkyUI make its much easier to get around the menus.

The ENB mod is notable but there is that many configurations for it now its hard to actually choose a one that you want.

The game is like a breath of fresh air if you leave it for a while as it gives modders time to make something decent and for me some of the mods appearing are making the game better ...little things like Sounds of Skyrim go a long way to making Skyrims atmosphere great.

Someone mentioned the Shadows not playing nice .. I tweaked my ini file in the early days and for thel ove of god cant remember what I tweaked so had to get this

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8043#content

Sblargh

Banned
I think the classless system is wonderful. If anything, the game only needs some balance because being a fighter is so much easier than being a thief or a mage, but other than that, leveling based on what you actually do rather than a choice made in the first 5 minutes of the game is awesome.

Zia

360 update has "broken" my game. Post-update it just sits at a black screen. Restarted the Xbox and let it set for ten-plus minutes and I'm still at a black screen.

Shit.

Top Bottom