• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Sorry for posting this again, but I've trawled the net to no avail.

When using the "Unbreakable" Lockpicking perk, does the lockpick return to it's starting location each time you fail? I have the
Skeleton Key
and really want to turn it in to finish the quest....but that depends on the "Unbreakable" perk behaviour.

edgefusion

I found a guy online who can edit PS3 saves and remove glitches. My unmarriable Erik is now a marriable Erik. :D He can also convert PS3 > to PC, check out the thread if you're interested.

I have been sitting with an Ebony bow and the Blade of Woe dagge for about 10 levels now, or more. Will I get anything better? I'm at 46 now, the bow does 106 damage plus 24 fire, and the dagger does 46. My mace is the Mace of Molag Bal and does 51.

Armor-wise I've been using glass and it's at 142 for the chest. 47 arms, and 50 for my dragon scale boots I found. Pairing those with the Volsung mask.

The Daedric bow is the best bow in the game but also pretty rare to find and you can upgrade your glass armour to dragon armour too. Dragon armour is best got from getting your smithing to 100 and creating it yourself as it seems to be really quite rare to actually find any. In my several hundred hours of playing I've only ever found some gloves but ymmv.

You're level 46 so it's a bit of a trek to perk up your smithing tree now unless you've already been doing it but I would absolutely recommend it and take the path on the right all the way. Daedric Bow (Legendary) does 155 damage without any enchants and Dragonscale armour (also legendary) is: Armor 198, Boots 74 and Gauntlets 74, again with no enchants. Without smithing you miss out on all the top-end items.

When using the "Unbreakable" Lockpicking perk, does the lockpick return to it's starting location each time you fail? I have the
Skeleton Key
and really want to turn it in to finish the quest....but that depends on the "Unbreakable" perk behaviour.

I'm level 49 and never put a single perk in lockpicking and can open even master level locks just fine with my skill level currently sitting at 88 and amount of locks reading as "99+" for the last 10 or so hours of gametime. I would say return the pick, finish the quest and don't put any more points in lockpicking as it's just not worth it. I hate to say it but there's nothing in that skill tree that's worth the perk points.

Atruvius

I found a guy online who can edit PS3 saves and remove glitches. My unmarriable Erik is now a marriable Erik. :D He can also convert PS3 > to PC, check out the thread if you're interested.

That guy has even got mods working on the PS3 version. :O He's even made instruction on how to mod your copy of Skyrim, though, you need CFW. Bloody amazing.

edgefusion

That guy has even got mods working on the PS3 version. :O He's even made instruction on how to mod your copy of Skyrim, though, you need CFW. Bloody amazing.

I know, it's pretty damn incredible. I decided to keep my save file vanilla and just clear up some bugs but it's awesome what he's been able to do.

ajf009

I've just run into to an annoying as hell bug. I haven't played in awhile so I decide to come back to this today, downloaded the latest pact.. and now every single time I go into water, the game freezes and my whole ps3 locks up. this is just stupid and I probably won't touch the game for another 4 months because I've lost all desire to play again

Volimar

I got tired of waiting for the DLC, so I just picked up Skyrim for Game Boy.

BnTDt.gif

How... am I not playing this game every day, all day. It is clearly the greatest thing Humankind has ever achieved.

I finally got around to creating the Destruction / Conjuration focused character I've been meaning to try last night. So far, that's been great. The kill cams for magic are a welcome addition. I'm pretty excited to progress and see more of the game's advanced spells down the line too.

But the best thing about this new character was my choice to stick exclusively to a 3rd person camera, which I've never done. I am astonished by how much I'm enjoying it. I don't know if I'll go back! It's a surprisingly different feeling, as if by doing this I'm focusing more on my character instead of just the game. Suddenly I'm actually disappointed that Diablo III is releasing so soon.

Anyway sorry for the boring post. Felt compelled to communicate some of that.

edgefusion

How... am I not playing this game every day, all day. It is clearly the greatest thing Humankind has ever achieved.

I finally got around to creating the Destruction / Conjuration focused character I've been meaning to try last night. So far, that's been great. The kill cams for magic are a welcome addition. I'm pretty excited to progress and see more of the game's advanced spells down the line too.

But the best thing about this new character was my choice to stick exclusively to a 3rd person camera, which I've never done. I am astonished by how much I'm enjoying it. I don't know if I'll go back! It's a surprisingly different feeling, as if by doing this I'm focusing more on my character instead of just the game. Suddenly I'm actually disappointed that Diablo III is releasing so soon.

Is it really that playable in third person? Do you not find you have trouble aiming at dudes or picking stuff up? I play an archer so using third person has pretty much been out of the question but now that I've hit 51 and started investing in destruction I could give it a go if it's as good as you say.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

My first character, the one I've played over 140 hours on, is a straight cloth wearing destruction/alteration/conjuration mage, and I love it. Magic is fun in this game. My guy does die quickly though, I need to use frost runes and conjures and dual cast staggers in order to live through battles. If I had to do it again I'd probably go the heavy armor route instead of alteration. But pure magic is great fun.

As for 3rd person, I go back and forth while traveling outdoors but I mostly stay in first person, especially indoors and during combat. It just feels more immersive to me that way.

I'll likely switch to 1st person if it becomes difficult or tiresome otherwise. I briefly did so last night while I was in Sneak mode trying to steal an object on a shelf. For the most part though I quickly got comfortable with the reticule / camera in 3rd person so I can loot and grab ingredients from the wild as easily as before.

So far aiming at enemies hasn't been a problem because the Flames spell casts a wide enough spread, even from several yards away. Hah, but there was a time when I screwed up twice trying to cast Fury on a slowly moving target.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Funny, after I posted above about weapons that night playing I was finally able to buy Daedric stuff. Bought a bow with lightening damage and an axe.

Still have the same armor, but am working in smithing to level up. I am at level 82 in smithing, but don't have enough actual level points for the tree.

RPGCrazied

Last boss was really *really* easy. Lame. It was cool watching it die though, that was amazing. Also, he doesn't drop any loot? Bummer.

Astra

Skeleton Key

The pick simply never breaks, much like the skeleton key. So there will be no failing.

Sblargh

Banned
Also, notice that if you are arrested possessing the skeleton key, you will retain it; so it's a great way to get the wanted achievment.

edgefusion

Ugh. I have 19 shouts, I've been almost everywhere. I want that 20 shouts trophy, oh where oh where can 1 more be?

I believe the greybeards can tell you where shouts are located once you've completed the main quest. Also if you use your shouts in public places, especially taverns, there's a chance a courier will approach you a few days later with a letter telling you a shout location.

RPGCrazied

I believe the greybeards can tell you where shouts are located once you've completed the main quest. Also if you use your shouts in public places, especially taverns, there's a chance a courier will approach you a few days later with a letter telling you a shout location.

Yeah, I went back there after, but all they do is stand up, shout, and the ground shakes. I can't even find the main guy there. I did kill
Parallax or whatever, is that why?

Dave1988

Yeah, I went back there after, but all they do is stand up, shout, and the ground shakes. I can't even find the main guy there. I did kill

Yup.
If you kill Parthuurnax, the Graybeards will refuse to talk to you. You killed their mentor, after all.
. Just check the Skyrim wiki for the locations of the Dragon Shouts.

edgefusion

As Dave 1988 said, they won't tell you if you
killed Parallelogram
so yeah best just to use a wiki at this point. Also remember that every dragon location on your map has a word wall associated with it so if you have any of those undiscovered you could go check them out.

Dreaver

I quit Skyrim after I played it too much in a short time period (85h played). I was so burned out by it, after I didn't touch the game for 2-3 months I just started playing it again and it's so much fun again! I'm really enjoying it. I think I've about 1/3 of the game left (quest/exploring)

Such an amazing game. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good and a huge step up from Oblivion.

stealth edit: I just cleared Blackreach... holy shit that area is big and cool!

Just started playing Skyrim PC (previously put 100+ hours into the xbox version)

Iv got 2 characters on the go currently, ill introduce you guys to the first.

Geralt of Rivia Brother of the Nightswatch.

Grabbed alot of Game of thrones and Witcher mods so far and some other stuff nothing really "big" in the graphics department my computer isnt really beefy enough.

Joined up with the companions and quested to Dustmans Cairn today to grab The witchers infamous Silver sword, which some kind modder had made uncraftable and require you enter a locked area.

Still its nice to work for your gear that way you feel like you earned it.

Woorloog

Banned
Did they change how the water looks on 360? I played Skyrim a bit just a moment ago and the water looked somehow different from what i remember. And was it always blurry underwater?

Tsukumo

Is anyone here using Kinect commands? I have a couple of problems and I'd like to know what you guys think: maybe it's calibration, maybe it's pronunciation.
Anyway:
-when I use the equip light command the hud reports it as equip Dual light, a feature not even listed in the manual. What's up with that
-the game can't seem to let me enjoy my food. My food voice commands works only in trading situations, and when I just want to browse the food category the kinect doesn't acknowledge the command
-after like, half hour, the game starts to fail to acknowledge a lot of commands. Especially quick map
-Ally trade gets mistaken for Ally retrieve
-Sometimes, very few times, Quick Items gets mistaken for Quick Load

Everything else is working fine.
First generation 360, uk version of the game.

Is anyone here using Kinect commands? I have a couple of problems and I'd like to know what you guys think: maybe it's calibration, maybe it's pronunciation.
Anyway:
-when I use the equip light command the hud reports it as equip Dual light, a feature not even listed in the manual. What's up with that
-the game can't seem to let me enjoy my food. My food voice commands works only in trading situations, and when I just want to browse the food category the kinect doesn't acknowledge the command
-after like, half hour, the game starts to fail to acknowledge a lot of commands. Especially quick map
-Ally trade gets mistaken for Ally retrieve
-Sometimes, very few times, Quick Items gets mistaken for Quick Load

Everything else is working fine.
First generation 360, uk version of the game.

From my experience, they're janky. Especially the shouts.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So, I've enchanted a pair of boots with 41% frost & fire resistance. I also have 30% magical resistance with the alteration perk. Do these resistances stack when taking frost/fire damage?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm avoiding finishing the main quest line because it seems like you just get a million dragon spawns as you go through it and I already find them irritating since they just fly around forever.

edgefusion

I'm avoiding finishing the main quest line because it seems like you just get a million dragon spawns as you go through it and I already find them irritating since they just fly around forever.

Tell me about it. I spent half the game never touching the main quest 'cos I didn't want to be bothered by dragons. Eventually I decided I kind of wanted to be able to shout so I blasted through the main questline. Now I'm batting dragons away like flies every 5 minutes. I thought Bethesda wanted dragon encounters to be like epic events? They're not epic when I'm fighting two of them at once like they're casual enemies, knowing I'll have another 2 swooping down in 5 minutes.

On the plus side I now have way more dragon souls than I have shouts, so I never need worry about not being able to unlock stuff.

Levyne

Banned
Hi guys, been playing this game recently, about lvl 30. Can't run it well on ultra but can on high.

Been looking at the workshop but a little overwhelmed. Any recommendations? I don't really like cluttering up with fan additions like followers or weapons from tv series a b or c or mega large extra dungeons, but any nice tweaks or alterations?

I apologize if it is answered elsewhere better.

edgefusion

Hi guys, been playing this game recently, about lvl 30. Can't run it well on ultra but can on high.

Been looking at the workshop but a little overwhelmed. Any recommendations? I don't really like cluttering up with fan additions like followers or weapons from tv series a b or c or mega large extra dungeons, but any nice tweaks or alterations?

I apologize if it is answered elsewhere better.

Gamespot have done a series where they highlight a few interesting mods, it might be worth going back and checking out a few of the videos because they've shown off some pretty awesome stuff. "Moonpath To Elsweyr" looked totally amazing.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Agreed. Be nice if you could reduce the frequency of them. They're not even hard, just tedious.

Tell me about it. I spent half the game never touching the main quest 'cos I didn't want to be bothered by dragons. Eventually I decided I kind of wanted to be able to shout so I blasted through the main questline. Now I'm batting dragons away like flies every 5 minutes. I thought Bethesda wanted dragon encounters to be like epic events? They're not epic when I'm fighting two of them at once like they're casual enemies, knowing I'll have another 2 swooping down in 5 minutes.

On the plus side I now have way more dragon souls than I have shouts, so I never need worry about not being able to unlock stuff.

Strange, dragons are usually pretty rare in my game. Especially on lower levels, they're goddamn epic. I remember one attacking me while I was clearing out a bandit lair in some nordic ruin. There was a hole in the roof, and the damned thing just set the bandits on fire through it. Then I had to lure it into a herd of stampeding Mammoths because I couldn't take it out on my own.

edgefusion

Strange, dragons are usually pretty rare in my game. Especially on lower levels, they're goddamn epic. I remember one attacking me while I was clearing out a bandit lair in some nordic ruin. There was a hole in the roof, and the damned thing just set the bandits on fire through it. Then I had to lure it into a herd of stampeding Mammoths because I couldn't take it out on my own.

I think it depends on how much you fast travel and how much you wait. Early on the game I spent an absolute heap of time repeatedly waiting 48 hours for Tonilia to re-stock so I could sell stuff to her. I can only assume that it resulted in a massive backlog of dragons all lining up to have a go.

krioto

Just started playing again - PS3 with the patch is like a different game. My 190hr, 14mb save works fine - quicker loading times, quicker transition times between areas - how it should have been when released.

This is pretty cool. Remember the replica of Alduin's Wall Beth had at E3 and PAX? Well, now it's in their offices, with a plaque in remembrance of the late Adam Adamowicz.

Y3dpy.jpg

Classy.

GhaleonEB

So, my daughter is trying to play Skyrim, and she can't get past the first loading screen. Turned it off and tried again, and now it's been 10 minutes, still loading. Text cycling, can rotate the saber cat - but no game. What does this mean?

Edit: the save she was trying to continue from was a quick save. It appears that was corrupted; she was able to load the save prior.

The Kinect functions in the game are so, so awful. They work very seldom for my daughter. "Whiterun" worked from the map screen after about 20 attempts just now.

So, my daughter is trying to play Skyrim, and she can't get past the first loading screen. Turned it off and tried again, and now it's been 10 minutes, still loading. Text cycling, can rotate the saber cat - but no game. What does this mean?

Edit: the save she was trying to continue from was a quick save. It appears that was corrupted; she was able to load the save prior.

The Kinect functions in the game are so, so awful. They work very seldom for my daughter. "Whiterun" worked from the map screen after about 20 attempts just now.

They really are. I dunno what Beth did wrong, but they hardly ever work at all.

One thing I've noticed is they're way more sensitive to background noise than most Kinect commands in games. Heck, I could play Mass Effect 3 perfectly while the TV was running in the background, and the game would recognize my voice. If I try the same with Skyrim, he'll start interpreting random dutch words as "pause game", "quicksave" and "quick menu". It's annoying as fuck.

Marco1

Glad to see the previous save worked.
Also just sold my kinect today and have totally given up on it. If the nextbox is more kinect focused then I won't be there for one.
I have tried to like it but I guess I'm an old-fashioned controller only kind of guy.

ajf009

just got to the last part of the Gaulder saga, holy hell I need to level up a few more times before I can beat those freaking ghosts

Top Bottom