• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Yes, and the same.
But let's wait for more details...
The location seen on the trailer looks a bit like this might include a small bit of High Rock... i mean, the trailer showed us some new places, places that might be on Skyrim/alternate dimensions or maybe on the mountains beetween Skyrim and High Rock.

Also, hopefully the second expansion/add-on (we know there will be at least 2 DLC for Skyrim, IIRC) adds a large landmass to the game, like Solstheim (would love to visit it again).

What about a piece of Morrowind? The area around Blacklight probably wouldn't differ that much from Skyrim in climate.

Skyrim may have been the main place where dragons were worshipped but that doesn't mean other provinces didn't have dragons or Dragon cults and thus shouts. Besides, Bethesda could always add some new magic that work in similar way to Shouts and the DLC could allow the Dragonborn to learn these.

Apparently, according to the lore, that all happened in Skyrim before man started to expand. The latter is more likely, but would imo feel kinda forced.

Woorloog

Banned
What about a piece of Morrowind? The area around Blacklight probably wouldn't differ that much from Skyrim in climate.

Apparently, according to the lore, that all happened in Skyrim before man started to expand. The latter is more likely, but would imo feel kinda forced.

Might be an interesting location. Still would love to visit Solstheim again.

Hmm. Well, the history in Tamriel is no really accurate, it is written by people after all. Consider how many way there are to intepret events surround Lord Indoril Nerevar.
Besides, someone finding out about historic dragons on other provinces and hiring the Dragonborn to go fetch serach clues about them would make a great story. Retcons are okay when the end result makes everything better.

GhaleonEB

I think the way they made a feature like dragon shouts a main focus of the game actually painted them into a corner, lore-wise. Dragons and word walls are obviously unique to Skyrim itself, and they're a major part of the gameplay. I think, in order to maintain consistency, new landmasses like the Shivering Isles might actually be out of the question, unless they decide to just throw the lore out of the window.

I was hoping they'd go with new land masses, but not drop in new shouts, as from a lore perspective that wouldn't make sense. They could play up the stranger in a strange land aspect, with someone wielding these crazy powers no one in that land had seen before.

BLACKLAC

I'm a Werewolf so I will be on the side of the Dawnguard. But now I have a reason to make a Vampire character!!! Vampires are no longer lame!!!!

Day-1!

Made another alt, a Dark Elf Battlemage with a mohawk. Heavy Armor, Desctruction, One Handed, Enchanting, Smithing, and a little bit in Restoration and Conjuration.

Volimar

I like the trailer. Got 1600 points saved up and ready to go. I don't suppose anyone has a spare hard drive for a 360 slim that they could send me? I'm working with thumb drives right now and buying a drive is unfortunately very far down the list of my priorities right now...

I was hoping they'd go with new land masses, but not drop in new shouts, as from a lore perspective that wouldn't make sense. They could play up the stranger in a strange land aspect, with someone wielding these crazy powers no one in that land had seen before.

That would be pretty awesome. Not sure if they have the stones to do that, though.

gstaff

dawnguardbeta.elderscrolls.com

Posted this on Bethesda Blog

Want a chance to play Dawnguard early? Following the success of our PC beta updates, we’re excited to announce our Dawnguard Beta for Xbox 360.

Visit DawnguardBeta.ElderScrolls.com to apply. The process should only take a couple minutes, but make sure to fill out all the information accurately. Applicants need a registered account on our official forums and you’ll want to make sure your forum email address is updated.

We will be selecting applicants in about a week. Players accepted into the beta will receive an Xbox LIVE code to redeem Dawnguard. The beta is the full version (complete with Xbox LIVE achievements) and those participating will not have to purchase the content.

Thanks again for your continued support of Skyrim!

Woorloog

Banned
"HOW MANY SKYRIM CHARACTERS DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE?"

Only goes up to three, I have like five. :lol Probably gonna start a new one for Dawnguard, unless it ties into the main quest somehow.

Answered 3... but had to, uhh, invent some details because i couldn't remember everything for them...

Going to start a new character anyway as i don't belive patches fix issues for pre-existing characters, not reliably anyway.

gstaff

Answered 3... but had to, uhh, invent some details because i couldn't remember everything for them...

Going to start a new character anyway as i don't belive patches fix issues for pre-existing characters, not reliably anyway.

I'd just answer with whatever is closest.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd just answer with whatever is closest.

I did. But there was an awful lot of guess work, so much i'd call it "inventing". There's so much to do in Skyrim i don't really, i can't keep track of all it. Major details were more or less right anyway.
Hmm, gotta plan my next character for Skyrim and take mounted combat into account. Heavily armored knight or a horse archer?

Woorloog

Banned
Dammit, i just realised, i'm not sure if my email was correct for the beta entry... are we supposed to get a confirmation email for a successful beta sign-up?

EDIT duh, dp. Also, re-applied just i case, with more accurate character information too. Had deleted one character i entered last time, had forgotten that. Can't even remember how many characters i've played before my current ones...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1iCqg.jpg

I swear she just died this way.

Me and the GF have signed up for that Beta, doubt we will get it but it will be awesome if we do.

Cant wait to be a vampire lord wonder if it will conflict with the werewolf ?

Finally got all of the achievements. Man, returning the Thieves Guild to its former glory was definitely the most annoying, but I had fun doing it. Now I'm definitely ready for Dawnguard.

So I just started this game a few days ago, and holy hell it is amazing. It helps that I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, or even a Western RPG. It's like experiencing the pinnacle of a genre that is completely new to me.

Questing through the mountains, causing shenanigans in towns, getting clubbed sky high by giants... the world is so alive and breathtaking and glorious. The story itself is badass too! I only have one shout so far but it seems like that will be an excellent mechanic to keep things interesting and fresh

I've currently been altering between fire magic and a greatsword, using both equally. Would it be to my advantage to just stick with one play style? And I've been saving my perks... what are the best/most useful skill trees to level up?

Yopis

Finally got all of the achievements. Man, returning the Thieves Guild to its former glory was definitely the most annoying, but I had fun doing it. Now I'm definitely ready for Dawnguard.

Ugh thats what im doing now how long does it take.

Seanspeed

Banned
So I just started this game a few days ago, and holy hell it is amazing. It helps that I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, or even a Western RPG. It's like experiencing the pinnacle of a genre that is completely new to me.
Yea, I'm jealous that you get to experience everything with such a fresh mindset.

As for playstyle, it helps to stick to one or two main 'skills'. Its definitely possible to spread yourself a little too thin, but the difficult slider also means you're never going to reach a point where things become impossible or anything.

For skilltrees, go with whatever sounds good to you, honestly. I think that certain ones like Speech and Lockpicking were a bit useless, though and can probably be ignored for the most part.

Woorloog

Banned
As for playstyle, it helps to stick to one or two main 'skills'. Its definitely possible to spread yourself a little too thin, but the difficult slider also means you're never going to reach a point where things become impossible or anything.

For skilltrees, go with whatever sounds good to you, honestly. I think that certain ones like Speech and Lockpicking were a bit useless, though and can probably be ignored for the most part.

Take perks from up to 4 skills at most if you intend to max out perk trees, maybe 5 if you're going to play over level 50. Otherwise you can probably spread your perks thinner.
One perk to Speech is a good idea, 10% bonus on selling and buying is useful for anyone, afterwards diminishing returns kick on that perk. Avoid lockpicking, with practice and patience you don't really need the skill at all. Pickpocketing is more of a fun (loot equipped items from people...) skill rather than actually useful one.

to me the trailer made it look linear. i was looking for a new land mass, and more gameplay to instigate a new playthrough with more stuff.

i think the mark of a great addon both adds to the base game but also adds progression. but it might interfere with mods i guess.

Question: Will the main quest naturally progress me through the most noteworthy sites and locations in the realm? I know you can go anywhere in the game at any time, as early as you want, but I prefer to absorb an entire area for hours and then move on to the next instead of hopping around and only scratching the surface of each locale. I've been spending a ton of time in Whiterun learning the town layout, doing the quests, furbishing my house, etc. Just want to make sure I'm not going to miss out on anything awesome if I'm not exploring every nook and cranny of the world on my own

Volimar

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476599

From Gaming side:

Heres the Dawnguard info i got from gameinformer:

•"Story of dawnguard involves the return of a vampire lord named Harkon,who seeks to put stop to his greatest enemy: The sun."
•You choose sides:fight alongside the dawnguard(vamp hunters) or join harkon,"alot of unique content depending on which side you choose"
•Two new homes,one for each side of the conflict.
•If you choose to side with harkon you can become a 'Vampire Lord',grants you new powers,players can exit vampire lord form at will.
•Vampire lords & werewolves now have their own perk tree.
•Legendary dragons are new high level beasts,Gargoyles,death hounds and armored trolls.

•Crossbows being added
•Some quests will take you into the oblivion realm,specifically 'the soul cairn' the realm of trapped souls
•you can change your face/gender via a character in riften's ratway.
•New shouts like 'soul tear',where you steal the soul of a dead enemy and use it as a minion.

Woorloog

Banned
Question: Will the main quest naturally progress me through the most noteworthy sites and locations in the realm? I know you can go anywhere in the game at any time, as early as you want, but I prefer to absorb an entire area for hours and then move on to the next instead of hopping around and only scratching the surface of each locale. I've been spending a ton of time in Whiterun learning the town layout, doing the quests, furbishing my house, etc. Just want to make sure I'm not going to miss out on anything awesome if I'm not exploring every nook and cranny of the world on my own

The main quest does visit all over the place... but not everywhere, so you gotta do some exploring yourself or join other factions, they'll cover the rest, more or less.

Gaspode_T

Questing through the mountains, causing shenanigans in towns, getting clubbed sky high by giants... the world is so alive and breathtaking and glorious. The story itself is badass too! I only have one shout so far but it seems like that will be an excellent mechanic to keep things interesting and fresh

I've currently been altering between fire magic and a greatsword, using both equally. Would it be to my advantage to just stick with one play style? And I've been saving my perks... what are the best/most useful skill trees to level up?

I have been taking my sweet time and I am at 120 hours played, and just finished the main quest yesterday because I was worried it would screw things up to do it, but it turns out to not really matter so go ahead and feel free to do most quests in whatever order you want.

Also even at 120 hours played my map is not even close to fully explored, because I have mostly been doing quests. If you want to avoid dying stay away from high elevations on mountains for both avoiding falling and dying to strong enemies, it gets easier later on.

For skills, it depends on what you like...I like alchemy and crafting, if you are OCD type it can be fun to collect and craft, of the two Alchemy is eventually able to make you so much money it is pretty ridiculous, and Smithing plus Enchanting is the best way to get nearly any type of armor or weapon you want. However like I said, some people like to skill up magic and some of the higher perks there seem to be awesome like conjuring two things at once.

I have been taking my sweet time and I am at 120 hours played, and just finished the main quest yesterday because I was worried it would screw things up to do it, but it turns out to not really matter so go ahead and feel free to do most quests in whatever order you want.

Also even at 120 hours played my map is not even close to fully explored, because I have mostly been doing quests. If you want to avoid dying stay away from high elevations on mountains for both avoiding falling and dying to strong enemies, it gets easier later on.

For skills, it depends on what you like...I like alchemy and crafting, if you are OCD type it can be fun to collect and craft, of the two Alchemy is eventually able to make you so much money it is pretty ridiculous, and Smithing plus Enchanting is the best way to get nearly any type of armor or weapon you want. However like I said, some people like to skill up magic and some of the higher perks there seem to be awesome like conjuring two things at once.
Interesting... so it's worth it to use my perks on alchemy and smithing? So far I'm not seeing much use in it. All of the weapons I can craft are weaker than the ones I already have, and all the potions I make barely provide any benefits

I was bored.

I'll use this for the Dawnguard thread, probably, unless we get some better screens I can use. Def. not putting in the same amount of work I did for Skyrim/ME3. :lol

Aguirre

this game.

this freaking game.

after about 10 hours in, i realized all i was doing was using a warhammer to pummel anyone and everyone and was getting kinda boring. decided to join a guild, the thieves, guild and wow. it feels so divorced from what i was doing. sneaking, hiding, tailing, etc. amazing.

I have avoided installing the latest patch (360) for fear that they have patched it. Do we know if that is the case? I am almost done with the game and want to exploit that book before I put the game away.

I have the 360 version and downloaded the latest update/patch from Live and it still worked for me.

Top Bottom