• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Woorloog

Banned
Nobody posting in here. I feel like everyone's off playing the beta.

What beta? There was maybe two guys here who got in. Only 0.5% out of all applicants got in.
Nothing to talk about until the DLC is released.

I could talk about how i don't like the perk system.
I want Restoration, One-Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, Smithing, some Archery for a character. Can't do that as i'd need over lvl 50 character to get all the perks i need... and over level 50 character is really frustrating to make as i need to spend money and/or time to train absolutely non-essential useless skills.

Really considering not getting the DLC for Xbox as much as i'd like to get it, and wait till i get a proper PC and get Skyrim+DLC on that and mod the system to something that is more challenging but not as strict.

Volimar

What beta? There was maybe two guys here who got in. Only 0.5% out of all applicants got in.

I could talk about how i don't like the perk system.
I want Restoration, One-Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, Smithing, some Archery for a character. Can't do that as i'd need over lvl 50 character to get all the perks i need... and over level 50 character is really frustrating to make as i need to spend money and/or time to train absolutely non-essential useless skills.

Really considering not getting the DLC for Xbox as much as i'd like to get it, and wait till i get a proper PC and get Skyrim+DLC on that and mod the system to something that is more challenging but not as strict.

To be fair, you don't need all the perks...

And yeah, I'd love a PC that could play Skyrim with mods. Would be a dream come true...

Woorloog

Banned
To be fair, you don't need all the perks...

No, i don't need all of them. But i need more than i can get by level 50.
It is not about really needing them for gameplay (other than damage, crafting and armor rating ones), it is about having a finished character.

Also:
Dawnguard comes late to some countries

EDIT actually, i might be able to do characters i like more easily. Let's see... First, Horse Archer: Archery, Heavy Armor, Something, Something.
Except.. i'm not sure i want to play non-stealth archer. That combo is nigh cheating but is also somehow more interesting, cooler.

EDIT2, actually, this idea is quite intriguing. Archer with heavy armor, i can deal good damage and take a lot of damage. I ride so mobility is not so much of an issue. And Smithing and Enchanting allow me to craft superior and cool gear.
EDIT 3 this guys is the good guy, a knight (who tells honor to screw it and uses a bow and crossbow without qualms). And then i'll make an evil stealth mage who is also a vampire. Yeah, this works.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The main thing keeping me from being interested in Dawnguard is that whenever I play Skyrim I ignore the 1000 tasks I have backlogged and just wander around aimlessly.

That said, is it possible to make a game world too good?

Huh. I completely forgot about that beta. I guess because we didn't hear much (even just of people getting in) if the acceptance rate was so low.

Mostly just wanted to hop in and say I love the thread title change though. I haven't played Skyrim in awhile (haven't finished the main quest), but I'll come back to it eventually.

And yeah, I'll probably try and snag the PC version on sale some time (or a GOTY edition eventually) and use that for DLC + Mods when I have a better PC, rather than sticking with the 360 version.

I just got back into Skyrim. I put in like 50 hours before and am now finally going back to the beginning of the main storyline. I went to meet with Delphine in Riverwood about the dragons... I also just started the Thieves Guild. It's so completely weird doing that because I feel like a bad ass and I've done all these things, but once you punch into these early storylines, they treat you like you're nothing in the world. I'm the gotdamn Dragonborn! I have this badass blade and nobody can touch me, yet these people talk to you like you're some bottom of the rung asshole.

That being said, I forgot how much I enjoyed the world. Unfortunately, the game is hard-locking my system a LOT, which it never did before.

Being the first Bethesda game I've ever played, I already have Fallout 3 sitting on the shelf, waiting in the wings.

Lakitu

st5fu
So is Dawnguard definitely coming out this tuesday? They said that all being well with the beta that they would release it on the 26th. But the last thing I heard was that the testers reported over 4 pages of bugs on their forums and we have not had actual confirmation of it being released on the 26th.

Volimar

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for how large this expansion is going to be. I'm gonna have to make some room on my 4gb 360...

So, I
just killed Ulfric Stormcloak (why is he so weak btw?) and what do i get? A shitty sword? These guys didn't even thank me? wtf? i am missing something? And i still can't make the general rescue my prisoner from the Thalmors (only reason i joined the Imperials)? I should be a Hero! There is no sense of accomplishment at all in this game it's crazy

So, I
just killed Ulfric Stormcloak (why is he so weak btw?) and what do i get? A shitty sword? These guys didn't even thank me? wtf? i am missing something? And i still can't make the general rescue my prisoner from the Thalmors (only reason i joined the Imperials)? I should be a Hero! There is no sense of accomplishment at all in this game it's crazy

This is one of my three minor problems with the game.

1. You do stuff, and it seems like "So what?"
2. You go up against this ancient evil boss, but the battle ends up either being somewhat easy, or more importantly, indistinguishable from any other difficult encounter. This might have to do with the simplicity of the battle system, but that's the only time the battle system really bothers me.
3. The disconnect between the Lore (books in the world, etc.) and the way people act, locations appear, or how generally un-epic this epically-described things are in the world.

What I really would like are maybe 5-10 JRPG/Final Fantasy-stylized in terms of story telling plots where the quests do feel epic, and there is a noticeable amount of polish added to the quest that makes it feel like more than just another quest.

So, I

Go back to the Imperial guard, tell her what you did.. get your thank yous, and do the guild quests..

Yeah, Beth is afraid to let your consequences have actions. If there's one thing they should change for TES VI, it's that. Let the player fuck up the world something fierce during questlines. Let him change the way characters act. If he becomes head of a guild that's hostile to another guild, let him choose to go to war and wipe everything out. If he destroys whatever ancient evil comes next, fuck, let the world celebrate, people rejoice. Make them organize feasts, send invites to your character, stuff like that.

Dawnguard comes out tomorrow? Hmmmm. Can't wait to see some impressions. I will either be getting this or some more New Vegas DLC to tread through. I had a blast with Dead Money yesterday.

Draconian

Been trying to finish the main story before Dawnguard comes out. I'm almost to the end now and I'm actually enjoying it. It's not quality writing by any stretch of the imagination, but I still think it's pretty good for a main storyline in a Bethesda game.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't have anything to do. Might start my next character now... i'm just worried there will be issues with pre-Dawnguard characters after downloading it... Considering this is a Bethesda game, my concern is well founded. Even if DLC has never caused issues with pre-DLC characters before.

My character will be rather brute force character, with Heavy Armor and Archery. Going to be a horse archer whenever possible.

Volimar

Don't have anything to do. Might start my next character now... i'm just worried there will be issues with pre-Dawnguard characters after downloading it... Considering this is a Bethesda game, my concern is well founded. Even if DLC has never caused issues with pre-DLC characters before.

My character will be rather brute force character, with Heavy Armor and Archery. Going to be a horse archer whenever possible.

Genghis Khan

Would be sweet to roleplay. Every faction and follower you gain control over would be a part of your army...

I wish you could lead them all to your Dawnguard fortress. Would be sweet to have everyone in one place.

Woorloog

Banned
Genghis Khan

Would be sweet to roleplay. Every faction and follower you gain control over would be a part of your army...

I wish you could lead them all to your Dawnguard fortress. Would be sweet to have everyone in one place.

Considered making the character wear light armor to be more Mongol-like but i'm opting for an Imperial and heavy armor. Sir Archer (i don't name my character, just give them class name), a knight who doesn't give a shit about honor and uses bows and crossbows, from horseback.

zethren

Banned
It's been a little while since I've played it so maybe this actually is in the game, but I wish that once you were done with the Dark Brotherhood quest line you could order members of your guild to go accomplish contracts, kind of like Assassin's Creed BH. Why do you have to do all the grunt work still? >:p

A more pronounced sense of notoriety of who you are would be great, rather than just "Oooooh! Dragonborn!" in every town. I agree with you guys.

As much as I adored Skyrim, there are lots of little things that could have been done to make the game incredible even despite it's flaws.

That said, super excited for Dawnguard tomorrow. :)

Not sure what exactly I'll do for Dawnguard. Maybe I'll just pick my current character, make a save and then head to the Ratway to change his appearance.

ironcreed

Banned
About ready to dive back into some Skyrim. So much I still have not seen or done and will be adding Dawnguard to it tomorrow. Looking forward to siding with the vampires first.

Woorloog

Banned
Gah, i have this issue with Skyrim i insist on doing every single Radiant thing i get... wasting so much time on those. Also, i'm a completionist, it seems. I need to do everything in a city before i can move on... i need to try to avoid that, especially since the rewards and quests are not that interesting nor rewarding.

Gah, i have this issue with Skyrim i insist on doing every single Radiant thing i get... wasting so much time on those. Also, i'm a completionist, it seems. I need to do everything in a city before i can move on... i need to try to avoid that, especially since the rewards and quests are not that interesting nor rewarding.

I've given up on stuff like that. Fuck, I hardly ever even look at the quest menu anymore: the game feels a lot more real that way.

Also, damn, the website I order point cards from doesn't have 2100-point cards in stock anymore. Hope they restock by tomorrow.

ironcreed

Banned
I've given up on stuff like that. Fuck, I hardly ever even look at the quest menu anymore: the game feels a lot more real that way.

That is why there is still so much I have not seen or done. I just start roaming around and love being in the world. So many quests left and locations I have not been to yet, even the discovered ones. Still amazed by how big it is. More on the way tomorrow and even more still down the road. That is what I love about The Elder Scrolls. You can just play for years.

qjvkj.png

Not as big as I expected, only 500MB.

Damn, I had deluded myself into thinking it was only 1200.

2100 point cards still not in stock. :( Not gonna buy 2 800's for this when I can get a 2100 for the same price.

ImLibo

Now that the beta NDA is lifted i can say that i REALLY enjoyed what i played of it,It's probably my favorite quest line in the game honestly,achievements were borked for me and weren't registering correctly so i stopped playing but from the 5 to 9 hours that i played it's great.

Woorloog

Banned
Downloading now.
And screw Sir Archer, i want to be evil (it is Skyrim, i can't bring myself to be evil in Morrowind or Oblivion), a vampire and a sneaky guy rather than heavy armored ranger.

Hambone

I wish they would add a respec option to this DLC. Who knows, maybe it's a hidden feature?

Agreed. I started out thinking I was going to be a Thief\Mage, and put a few points into Destruction. I never use Destruction anymore, and haven't in a long time. Wish I could get those points back.

Dave1988

Agreed. I started out thinking I was going to be a Thief\Mage, and put a few points into Destruction. I never use Destruction anymore, and haven't in a long time. Wish I could get those points back.

Yeah, pretty much. Destruction at lvl 81 is a fucking joke. Wish I could spend the points that I invested into Destruction on Archery instead.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Shouldn't there be a main thread for this on the gaming side so that more people know that this is out? I had know idea this came out today until I just happened to check this thread.

Hambone

Can someone who gets Dawnguard today confirm if there are extra areas or whether it all takes place on the Skyrim map?

I think it's both, although I've been on a semi-blackout of the game, but I'm positive there is at least 1 new area. Don't really know how big it is.

Suairyu

Banned
One of you better make a Dawnguard thread. I'd love impressions. I'm not actually jumping on the Skyrim ship until the PC gets a GOTY version that collects everything, but I love reading about it in the mean time.

Lakitu

st5fu
I do agree that there should be a new thread for this, it was a good idea to merge it into this thread but there's not that many people posting.

I've just started essentially, I
met Serena and took her to their castle. I got banished because I insisted I didn't want to become a vampire.
About to go back to Fort Dawnguard.

The Crossbow is pretty good, I'm really enjoying this so far.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
As someone who hasn't finished the main game yet, is it a requirement for this expansion? Are their spoilers for the main quest in Dawnguard?

Suairyu

Banned
As someone who hasn't finished the main game yet, is it a requirement for this expansion? Are their spoilers for the main quest in Dawnguard?
That's not how Elder Scrolls expansions work. They're like any other quest - you can do them anytime you choose.

In fact, plot-wise, it often makes sense to do all the expansion content before tackling the main quest.

Locke_211

Sounds good from what I've read so far, though I have to wait for the PS3 release.

How do the achievements work? Do they become part of the Skyrim set, or is there a new list?

Top Bottom