• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Raptomex

I stop playing for a while and Dawnguard sucks me back in *sigh*. I still can't stand the dungeons. I really find the world of Skyrim much more interesting than the dark grittiness of the dungeons. I think it's just me.

DanielJr82

The only dungeons I don't care for are the Dwarven ruins. I find them way too long (they're often 3 or 4 huge sections) and those Chaurses creep me the hell out. Almost as much as the giant spiders.... *shivers* ...just no.

Dwarven dungeons are pretty much all alike. Hallway/ room with a furnace, cave-like area with some Falmer. And always with more than one area. Only really worthwhile treasure I've ever found was an ebony shield, armor, and boots behind an expert door in Raldbthar. But if you want to reach 100 smithing in a slightly-timely manner, you'll need to go into the ruins and scavenge dwarven metals.

At least the Chaurus only have 6 or so legs, as opposed to being actual giant centipedes. That would be the worst.

I'm doing the Dark Brotherhood stuff, and they're pretty well-done, definitely more than the Civil War "go here fight these guys" quests. But sometimes it just descends into the usual Bethesda goofiness. Do a perfect one-hit kill, completely hidden, but if it's an important enough person, all the guards will come running. Really diminishes the idea of a perfect kill when everyone knows you did it and the only reason you aren't going to the block is because the fine is so easy to pay. Apparently the price for murder is only about as much as the average merchant's daily haul.

Raptomex

The only dungeons I don't care for are the Dwarven ruins. I find them way too long (they're often 3 or 4 huge sections) and those Chaurses creep me the hell out. Almost as much as the giant spiders.... *shivers* ...just no.
Omg. Don't even get me started on the Dwarven dungeons. And the one with the underground area? It's all alien-like. I forget what it's called. Terrible. I could not stand it.
You collect those special plant things down there

Volimar

Omg. Don't even get me started on the Dwarven dungeons. And the one with the underground area? It's all alien-like. I forget what it's called. Terrible. I could not stand it.

Blackreach.

You think Blackreach was terrible....

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

Just wait til you run into the
flying chaurses
. I swear that gave me a heart attack. Honestly, it's just the Falmer and how utterly annoying they are as an enemy type. They don't really feel like what the lore says they are, just bears that can wield swords. Though, you never know...

Volimar

I do. I was not a fan. Like I said above I think it might just be me. But I push through because I find the game and world immersive.

I thought it was the most beautiful place in the game. Reminded me of Shivering Isles. And so large, I think I got explorer's fatigue.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I stop playing for a while and Dawnguard sucks me back in *sigh*. I still can't stand the dungeons. I really find the world of Skyrim much more interesting than the dark grittiness of the dungeons. I think it's just me.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I agree with this, especially the Dawnguard sentiment.

The dungeons do get tiring after a while, and the radiant quests associated with them certainly don't help. But Skyrim itself is still gorgeous, and Dawnguard was, overall, a positive experience for me. Added 23 hours to my Skyrim playtime, so I'm happy.

Blackreach is awesome. I spent hours in there, just exploring, taking screenshots. In fact, my current desktop background is a screenshot from Blackreach.

Current desktop:
161596F1FEFC5323F371EC2487BF9BB1D585588B

Other favorite Blackreach screenshot:

Fucking Vampires are fucking killing NPCs. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

You would think they would be patching this, or at least be making a point that they're going to patch it. Do I have to start the Dawnguard questline for the killings to begin, or will it happen as soon as I install the DLC?

Same, the outside world of Skyrim is amazing...my only favorite dungeon is the very first one. (bleak falls barrows)

I'm also tired of all the quests like "Go find this in dungeon A"

or "Oh no! It wasn't in dungeon a? Go find it in dungeon b"

its like Skyrim is built on you going to dungeons allll the time.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, really? So that Breton in Whiterun's shop might just get the ax one day if someone with the DLC is unlucky?

I was thinking of the EXACT same merchant when I read that post.

Is it crazy when I say that Skyrim is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played? I have some mods like Bethesda's HD textures and Climates of Tamriel installed, but nothing that changes the visuals massively, like an ENBS mod. It doesn't have the best looking textures or the models with the highest poly count. It's just that the art direction in this game seems to pull everything together nicely. Whenever I walk through the country, on the roads, climb on some mountains, at day through a snow storm, at night with rain, I always notice how great it looks in motion.

I'm not saying it's Crysis impressive, but it's just one of those "wow, this looks really nice" feelings. Last time I got that was when I played RDR.

Raptomex

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I agree with this, especially the Dawnguard sentiment.

The dungeons do get tiring after a while, and the radiant quests associated with them certainly don't help. But Skyrim itself is still gorgeous, and Dawnguard was, overall, a positive experience for me. Added 23 hours to my Skyrim playtime, so I'm happy.

Blackreach is awesome. I spent hours in there, just exploring, taking screenshots. In fact, my current desktop background is a screenshot from Blackreach.

Current desktop:

Other favorite Blackreach screenshot:

Same, the outside world of Skyrim is amazing...my only favorite dungeon is the very first one. (bleak falls barrows)

I'm also tired of all the quests like "Go find this in dungeon A"

or "Oh no! It wasn't in dungeon a? Go find it in dungeon b"

its like Skyrim is built on you going to dungeons allll the time.
Idk, I just didn't care for Blackreach. The falmer can get annoying. And getting down there was a pain in the ass. On my first playthrough, one of the many exits to Skyrim, I didn't realize I had to pull the lever or something or I couldn't find it, so I couldn't leave that cage door and it was just stupidity on my part but it just wasn't a good time for me. Honestly I prefer to raid small bandit caves/lairs or even some form of outdoor bandit camp. I don't mind fighting the creatures outside but if I have to start entering a large dark and gritty dungeon I just get tired of it after a while. I'll start to play the game again and realize why I stopped. I still put in over 100 hours. It truly is an immersive experience. Plus Skyrim modded to all hell really will make me want to play through again.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Idk, I just didn't care for Blackreach. The falmer can get annoying. And getting down there was a pain in the ass. On my first playthrough, one of the many exits to Skyrim, I didn't realize I had to pull the lever or something or I couldn't find it, so I couldn't leave that cage door and it was just stupidity on my part but it just wasn't a good time for me. Honestly I prefer to raid small bandit caves/lairs or even some form of outdoor bandit camp. I don't mind fighting the creatures outside but if I have to start entering a large dark and gritty dungeon I just get tired of it after a while. I'll start to play the game again and realize why I stopped. I still put in over 100 hours. It truly is an immersive experience. Plus Skyrim modded to all hell really will make me want to play through again.

I understand your reasons.

I think one of the reasons I like Blackreach as much as I do is because it was unexpected. After getting used to the dungeons being the same thing, over and over, suddenly, I enter this massive, unique space that feels totally different from any other area in the game. I felt like I had discovered an awesome, hidden gem in Skyrim. I felt like I was actually exploring, and not just dungeon crawling, like I had found a little world within the larger realm of the game.

I wish more of the game had been like that.

789shadow

Banned
So far Vampires have killed Amren in Whiterun and Edda in Riften. They haven't killed any shopkeepers yet, because I will not fucking allow that. But jeez, Bethesda, there are some things that should not happen in your game. I love coming out of the Thieves Guild secret entrance, and seeing "Failed: Bring 2 Flawless Sapphires to Madesi" because of your stupidity. Either don't have the vampires attack anything but guards, or have the NPC's run away. Every freaking NPC runs right at the god damn Vampires and gets turned into fucking ash. Fuck.

Raptomex

Those gargoyles and vampire lords are looking pretty badass. Still, I chose not to become a vampire. Werewolves are always cooler.

DanielJr82

You would think they would be patching this, or at least be making a point that they're going to patch it. Do I have to start the Dawnguard questline for the killings to begin, or will it happen as soon as I install the DLC?
Once you hit level 10 the killings will start, regardless if you start Dawnguard or not.

In my first build this wasn't a problem because I did Dawnguard right away. In my second build though, I stalled for the whole game; big mistake.

Wow, really? So that Breton in Whiterun's shop might just get the ax one day if someone with the DLC is unlucky?
If he's strolling out during a vampire attack, yes sir. I've had to restart several times because they've killed the Warmaiden shopkeepers (both husband and wife), a few of the Riften stall owners and Balmund (blacksmith), and the Bits and Pieces lady in Solitude. On top of all the guards.

I should note that it has happen with dragons as well, but no where near as often as vampires, and are easily avoidable if you reload a previous save and fast travel outside in the stables or something to engage the dragon. Vampires only attack inside cities at random, specifically at NPCs.

Also, you remember the Breton from the Riverwood Trader shop? If you have the perk to invest 500 gold with shopkeepers, invest in that guy! His gold will go up to almost 12,000 for some reason. Business savy as hell, lol.

I just use a mod to increase Belethor's money to 10k. It's such an inconvenience to have to wait a day or keep dropping stuff in your chest all the time otherwise.

Vampire attacks sound terrible. I reload saves just when dragons kill named NPC's in outdoor towns, can't imagine enemies going after merchants. You'd hope Bethesda would have learned after Feral Ghoul Reavers.

Mastperf

Yep, Belethore was the first to die on my recent game. I found him face down in the street. I also lost the blacksmith by the door. I think the pile of ashes that won't go away was her.
I was able to prevent deaths if I was there but people can now be killed even if you're some place else.

789shadow

Banned
I don't think it's that retarded. I think vampire attacks only happen when you are in the city.

Also, I just walked out to the Whiterun stables, and I was met by two Louis Letrush's, one of which was halfway through the ground.

DanielJr82

I don't think it's that retarded. I think vampire attacks only happen when you are in the city.

Also, I just walked out to the Whiterun stables, and I was met by two Louis Letrush's, one of which was halfway through the ground.
LOL... it's a common bug. By the 200 hour mark in my save there were four of them. I ended up killing them and dragging their bodies to the nearest river. =P

789shadow

Banned
LOL... it's a common bug. By the 200 hour mark in my save there were four of them. I ended up killing them and dragging their bodies to the nearest river. =P
You can drag bodies?

Also, I just made Legendary Daedric Armor and Helmet. At level 38ish. And I haven't even really explored outside of Whiterun and Riften holds yet. By tomorrow, I hope to be wielding two Legendary Dragonbone Swords and a Legendary Dragonbone Bow.

I'm going to clown some folks.

moojito

I took Lydia out for a spin. I don't normally run with companions. Some of my fireball aoe hit her and she started attacking me, so I killed her. Should've left her at home.

Mastperf

My first encounter with death hounds was when I walked outside of Whiterun and found them as well as as the stable owner and a few others dead. The Blacksmith by the door in Whiterun was nothing more than an ash pile with no dead vampires nearby and the same happened for Belethore. I've had plenty of reloads in order to rush and save a character but these were completely random and silent kills. I'd say someone getting a letter from a courier saying their wife was dead is also good evidence.

Putting a crypt full of Draugr Scourges (I was level 24 and more than half the enemies seemed to be Scourges) in the middle of the Thieves Guild questline is terrible. Stealthy character stood no chance, had to turn down the difficulty and just claw them. Seriously? This isn't a Companions quest, why the hell do I have to fight so many tough Draugr in a questline that assumes I'm using a stealth character? So very bad. The next mission
sneaking through the Dwemer musem
almost made up for it, but still not excusable.

For anyone who hasn't played it and thinks you're supposed to sneak past them, no, their coffins automatically open when you get near and you have an ally with you who alerts them anyway.

789shadow

Banned
A lot of "stealth" missions the game throws at you are basically impossible to pass through stealth. Good luck with the fucking Dainty Sload. Just kill everyone.

DanielJr82

You can kill the Draugr and still remain stealthy, though. Are you investing in Archery and the Sneak tree? Snipe them, then move location. Rinse and repeat. If you don't have "Throw Voice", you can still create a distraction by firing an arrow at a wall somewhere. Always move around though.

Dainty Sload is definitely possible without killing anybody. Start by pickpocketing the lady in the boat for her keys. (My stealth was in the high 70's when I did that mission, iirc.) I walked away completing the mission without anybody knowing I was even there. I think I used an invisibility potion as well. (No perks in Alchemy? Chaurus Eggs + Nirnroot = 18 seconds of Invisibility no matter what. Vampire Dust also works.) Definitely sneak around all the time, stay in the shadows (it really does matter), and invest in the Sneak tree, especially Muffled Movement and the getting your Sneak boost up. I'm sure you'll find some good vids of this on YouTube.

-Edit-
Also managed to level up my warrior build to 71 today, legit. No glitching, but definitely spammed a couple of spells. Casting Soul Trap on dead corpses? I leveled up Conjuration in about 30 minutes, lol. (With Enchanted armor so I can spam away the spell.) Will work on Illusion and Alteration next. Destruction will take some time since it only levels up with hitting enemies. Still though, I plowed through Archery (using crossbows), Light Armor, and Two-Handed weapons the old fashioned way. Revered Dragon are good fodder for this, they're relatively common now.

A lot of "stealth" missions the game throws at you are basically impossible to pass through stealth. Good luck with the fucking Dainty Sload. Just kill everyone.

Stealth is nigh-broken after you hit ~70 or so. Slap on some boots that give you muffle (or cast it if you're magically-inclined), and an invisibility potion or two... nobody can see you.

I didn't even know there was a quest involving the Dainty Sload other than just killing all the pirates onboard and getting a reward. No point to being stealthy.

And they're Draugr Scourges that pop out of coffins and walls, and then your ally attacks them. Even if they were standing around already active, you really think arrows are going to instantly kill them? I'm not wearing a fully enchanted "Bows do +20% damage" set of armor with 100 archery, I was only level 24.

I took Lydia out for a spin. I don't normally run with companions. Some of my fireball aoe hit her and she started attacking me, so I killed her. Should've left her at home.

Use the UFO (Ultimate Follower Overhaul) mod to be able to control your follower's AI and turn off hostile reactions to friendly fire. Combat in this game is so clunky and messy, it's almost impossible to not hit your companion by accident unless she is a ranged or mage type and even then if the enemy she is fighting closes to melee against her, you still might hit her with a stray attack. Save yourself the headache, use UFO.

Stealthy characters also have many problems with dragons.

Be stealthy all you want, but make damn sure you keep one-handed, two-handed, or Destruction leveled. It's so much easier sometimes just to wade knee-deep in the dead through a trail of bodies you left face-down in a pool of their own blood.

It's also much more satisfying to kill em all and let Talos sort them out if you install the Dance of Death mod and set killmoves percentage to 100%. Due to the game's engine purposely not letting you do killmoves except when you are perfectly aligned with your enemy, not above or below, not against a wall, etc. to prevent you from clipping through or getting stuck in the geometry, even at 100% killmoves you only see them rarely. For extreme enjoyment, set decapitations to 50% or higher so you regularly separate heads from shoulders. Note that Dance of Death does not work for mages.

DanielJr82

And they're Draugr Scourges that pop out of coffins and walls, and then your ally attacks them. Even if they were standing around already active, you really think arrows are going to instantly kill them? I'm not wearing a fully enchanted "Bows do +20% damage" set of armor with 100 archery, I was only level 24.
Personally, I wouldn't advise bringing a follower if you're going to be sneaking around. If you really want a follower, try a stealthy follower like the assassin/thief mercenary at the Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun. If anything, just because your follower got caught doesn't mean you are. Remain hidden and use him/her as fodder while you take out the baddies. Lydia took me out of a lot of tough situations early on, but I eventually didn't need her (levels 20 and up).

And who said you have to 1HK them? Shoot an arrow, then move to another dark corner. Rinse and repeat until they're all dead. At level 24 you can probably still get them with 4 or 5 arrows each, maybe less depending on perks. (Try improving your bows at the blacksmith as well.)

Also, why not go with gear with enchantments on them? Did you already get Linwe's armor? That's a pretty good stealthy assassin set, before the Dark Brotherhood shrouded ones. The good thing about light armors is that they don't weigh much, so you can carry an extra set with you at all times for different situations. I always carried my Thief's Guild Set as well as Linwe's (later replaced by the Dark Brotherhood set). At least carry a ring or necklace with Archery boosts (I'm assuming you're doing archery.)

-Edit-
Sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here. Play the game however you want, man. Those are just things I learned in over 70 hours of play as a thief build.

I said it was part of the Thieves Guild questline. Snow Veil Sanctum is the only tomb, and you always have Mercer with you. I didn't bring a companion, I had a mandatory quest character with me. There is no "dark corner," the Draugr are alerted and simply don't become "unalerted" because some jackass with two swords is trying to fight them. Some go after him, some chase you. There were at least 10 draugr and the tomb is well-lit, so hiding wasn't really an option. There were definitely no fewer than 5 Scourges and a Scourge Lord (not a Deathlord) going around in addition to some random Wights and base Draugr, so nothing to be done. I've found this happens with at least one Nordic tomb per playthrough, that it throws far too many Scourges at you, 4+ when you can only handle 2 at most, as if something went wrong with the levels when you entered the tomb and all the Wights were upgraded to Scourges.

I also already finished the Dark Brotherhood questline. I had Shrouded Cowl along with at least 2 levels of the base archery upgrade. I already have a character with max Smithing and Enchanting, and that was so astronomically tedious that I'm trying to get by without relying on it. People are so convinced your stuff isn't worth anything until you've spent 10 hours crafting iron daggers and dwarven bows to get all your gear to legendary.

As usual, the Dark Brotherhood quest line is the best one in the game. I should have expected as much after Oblivion's fantastic DB quest line. Any quest line where I get to
kill the beaming bride at her wedding reception
is a quest line worth it's weight in Septims.

I'm having problems with Skyrim after I updated it to 1.7 (Xbox 360).

Dragons doesn't show correctly, missing texture/graphics. When I kill a dragon I can no longer absorb his soul. Last issue, the game has crashed in a unique way, This kind of game crashing never happened to me before in my 360. The game has crashed and it showed a blank (black) screen. Once I press eject button, the system goes back to the dashboard without any problem.

38Iuv.jpg

YD15S.jpg

Anyone having similar problems?

McNum

You know, the title of this thread is becoming unintentionally hilarious with Dawnguard adding vampire raids on towns.

DanielJr82

Level 77!! Wow! I've been at it for hours, I took advantage of a troll just past High Hroghtgar (towards Paarthunax), leveled up my Destruction, Restoration, Arhcery, and Two Handed with him (healing it every time). All are at level 100 now. I still need to do Sneak (88), Lockpicking (98), Pickpocket (66), and Alchemy (42). I'll just continue some Thieves Guild quests with my warrior, it's only a matter of time before I reach level 78! Then it's the waiting game for that Legendary Dragon. Maybe even tonight. Woot!! =D

I guess I should start making that legendary dragon hunting gear; thinking of calling it Phoenix, I got a bunch of dragon bone and scales saved up that I'll be using.

At this point I got every perk I wanted. Don't know where I should invest the extra 2 or 3 perks.

Per dear Astrid's orders, I found myself in Markarth on a mission for the Dark Brotherhood. I've spent a fair amount of time in this Hold, even was imprisoned here on false charges after gaining the attention of the wrong people for investigating a murder in the streets. I've skulked the alleys of the city of stone by day and night in search of blood and silver. Yet nothing could have prepared me for my greatest challenge yet.

The servant of Mara, Dinya Balu, had tasked me with spreading sweet love throughout Skyrim. In Markarth, I was to find the old mage and codger Calcelmo and assist him with wooing his true love! She turned out to be Faleen, the hardened Redguard Housecarl to the Jarl himself! This was truly a worthy challenge for the Guild Master of the Thieves Guild and hardened assassin of the Dark Brotherhood! With some difficulty, I was able to track down a bard by the name of Yngvar. With a little persuading, I convinced him to write a fake love letter in the form of poetry purporting to be written by Calcelmo's hand. I found Faleen by the Jarl's side and delivered this truly lewd and eloquent Poetic Edda of Love to her hand. She bade me return an even more indescribably lewd letter to Calcelmo, and I witnessed as they met and professed their love for each other! By Mara! I may be a thief and assassin, I am the Dragonborn in whom the fate of the world rests, but above all, I am a wedding planner!

If you haven't done this quest, you can get it at the Temple of Mara in Riften. The quest is called "The Book of Love".

Top Bottom