• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Game of the Year Edition, leaked by Amazon France | September 18th

I guess every game can be GOTY now...
This was established back in 2011 with Two Worlds 2. There isn't a single person alive that considers that the GOTY of 2011, and yet..
zLfrM6K.jpg

At least they added the "Velvet" part to it - makes it sound like the Purple Heart of GOTY's.

Neff

DLC was shit.
Game is awesome though but I really wouldn't spend more on the GOTY edition, if you have the main game available at a cheaper price than go for it, you wouldn't miss a thing with not bothering with the DLC.

I was disappointed with the DLC gameplay-wise, but it was a worthy conclusion to the questions posed by the base game, and I don't regret buying it.

I was disappointed with the DLC gameplay-wise, but it was a worthy conclusion to the questions posed by the base game, and I don't regret buying it.

I felt the same way at first, but I was expecting more action. The scenarios and stuff going on in the DLC was intense and awesome though. That final boss creeped me out and gave me a tense battle. Loved it

pHldjae.gif

Looking forward to seeing what Tango will bring considering how great their first game as a studio was.

Yep. It's a favorite horror game of mine and I've played most of em. Now let's see some bleeding affects into the real world shall we? Hehe.

Gurish

Yea I meant gameplay wise it was really bad, it did have a great atmosphere and presentation like in the main game and some nice story bits (though I was still pretty confused after it), I'm not sure it's worth buying though, might be enough to watch it on YouTube, depends on your tolerance for the pretty bad gameplay.

Neff

If TEW 2 happens, I can see Mikami giving the director's chair to Tango's 'Kamiya', and directing something new himself, assuming Tango is big enough for two projects, that is.

Yea I meant gameplay wise it was really bad, it did have a great atmosphere and presentation like in the main game and some nice story bits (though I was still pretty confused after it), I'm not sure it's worth buying though, might be enough to watch it on YouTube, depends on your tolerance for the pretty bad gameplay.

I did have some fun with it. The last boss of the 2nd DLC was even pretty awesome. I just really hated the fact that I had to do so much stealth and hiding. It was a poor way to follow up such an exemplary action/horror title imo, and a waste of potential. Here's hoping the sequel lets me shoot lots of stuff all over again.

If TEW 2 happens, I can see Mikami giving the director's chair to Tango's 'Kamiya', and directing something new himself, assuming Tango is big enough for two projects, that is.

While I'm not sure on the size, it was recently revealed they are hiring for experienced programers, etc.

Gurish

I loved the game but, man, what a technical mess it was.

At least they removed the black bars recently, they are getting better! :p

But I loved the art style of this game, including all the post process effects and film grain, it had a fantastic look, even though technically it was far from being impressive.
I did have some fun with it. The last boss of the 2nd DLC was even pretty awesome. I just really hated the fact that I had to do so much stealth and hiding. It was a poor way to follow up such an exemplary action/horror title imo, and a waste of potential. Here's hoping the sequel lets me shoot lots of stuff all over again.

Yea OK final boss was pretty cool, you are right about the stealth and hide gameplay being bad, I can see they really put a lot of effort into it, it's not like Batman's DLC when they are using some leftovers, but it didn't work out for them, the main campaign gameplay is just much superior in every way.

Curufinwe

The game with all the DLC and updates was around 60 GB on my PS4 hard drive, so I wonder how they will fit it all on a Blu-Ray. Probably just codes for the DLC.

E the Shaggy

The DLC was pretty bad.

If you've been waiting for the GOTY edition, just pick up the regular edition for $20 now. You won't miss out on anything.

Arkeband

Banned
It always confuses me when games that aren't in any way 'game of the year' slap that on re-releases.

I mean at that point you might as well make it "Game of the Century".

Caffeine

It always confuses me when games that aren't in any way 'game of the year' slap that on re-releases.

I mean at that point you might as well make it "Game of the Century".

game of the year varies from a shit ton of different publication places, i know this game won game of the year at bloodydisgusting website last year lol. There are no set websites that define game of the year everything is someones opinion lol.

however yeah "game of the year" now just means ultimate edition and has for over a decade.

antitrop

That's it, guys. We can finally retire the term "GOTY edition" when there's one for Evil Within. It is over.

I'll be over here waiting for Homefront: GOTY Edition and Lollipop Chainsaw: GOTY Edition.
You must have missed the Dead Island GOTY Edition.

I am getting The Evil Within from gamefly today. I am excited to give it a try. It's funny how most of the hate towards the game does not concern the gameplay. I wonder how many of the negative reaction is coming from PC-side gamers.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I am getting The Evil Within from gamefly today. I am excited to give it a try. It's funny how most of the hate towards the game does not concern the gameplay. I wonder how many of the negative reaction is coming from PC-side gamers.

But on PC there was a chance that it ran well... Technical hate should be coming from console players.

I really wanted to like this game but it just felt sloppy from top to bottom, even setting aside the poor performance and FOV.

Additionally, the kind of horror it was going for also did pretty much nothing for me. I don't think disjointed, hallucinatory nonsense is scary in a game. My favorite horror element was poking needles into bisected heads. That was creepy and gross without relying on my investment in a "what is real and what is not?" narrative.

I might try it again on PC if it's ever 5 bucks.

Why even bother games within the first year of their release at this point?

Because you actually want to play them and most DLC is bad anyway?

BadWolf

You're in for a treat, one of my fave games in the genre.

I don't follow. Care to explain that?
I'm one of the people saying they love the game and I've played it on PC, which is the only platform where you can play this with a decent frame-rate.

Because it was a middling game that ran like shite.

Salt...confirmed. While had performance issues on consoles, PC was much smoother. As for middling, the game seems to strike the definition of love it or hate it. It's pretty devising among the crowd. Does not make it a terrible game in the slightest and for some on gaf and others, it was a goty. So really, it's not as absurd as you want to make it sound.

Nemesis_

The story was incredibly average but the game itself was fantastic. It felt like it struck a decent balance between the more action orientated segments of newer Resident Evil games and the more survival like elements of the originals.

Really loved it, might give it another play with this new patch.

Flysquare

Maybe a good news for some people. But the game can be find at a very cheap price now.
If you add DLC you might have the exact same content as this goty edition for 10$ cheaper.
The only benefice is storage place on the DD i guess.

Always love the hyperbole that comes with ever The Evil Within thread. It gets choppy at times in the framerate but the way some act as if the game is completely broken and unplayable is silly. 40 is great deal for this and and all the DLC. Might trade in my copy for this complete edition which I'm assuming will have all the patches rolled into it as well. Now just need an announcement about TEW 2 being in development.

The first time you fight boxhead in that poison gas, that really was impossible for me with how bad the frames dropped -- especially when running. May have been bearable for you but it definitely had technical issues.

BrokenBox

it's cheaper to buy it preowned around 10-15 quid + season pass is on sale on uk psn store for 7,50 quid :)

Did the Season Pass discount happen recently and is it for a limited time? I see it is $13.49 on US PSN. I always thought I'd wait to pick it up until October when I assume it would be heavily discounted, but this changes things potentially.

kodecraft

take the camera and animations from the dlc and add them to sebastian in the main game and i will re-buy.
The dlc ran at rock solid framerate and improved on most things including copy/pasting leons animations from resident evil 4, so much better than the main games janky and weird animations and it looks so much better when moving around with a pistol.
please add this to the main game or just allow players to play as juli if you can't be bothered to rework sebastians animations.

Add the new design choices from the DLC too, like the haunted glowing yellow and red.

I3rand0

The Season Pass is on sale this week on PSN. I'm currently playing this for the first time without black bars or the film grain filters and it runs well. Still debating on whether I want to get the DLC.

Arttemis

I picked up the base game on PS4 for ~$10 a few months ago. I was just considering getting the season pass during this week's sale for $13.50, but was finding it easy to resist since I'm not even half way through the game yet and haven't played it in a month.

I might sell this version for a few bucks and eventually pick up the complete edition for less than $20 in the not-too-distant future.

Top Bottom