• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (Mikami/Tango) concept art uses screenshot from The WarZ

SparkTR

Hilarious. I wonder if The WarZ guys will have a legal case against Tango? Oh the irony...

The image is probably a stock photo both companies bought from a third party. Regardless I don't get the outrage, concept art is supposed to convey a visual concept or idea, it does that perfectly. Who cares if they cut corners a bit.

The image is probably a stock photo both companies bought from a third party. Regardless I don't get the outrage, concept art is supposed to convey a visual concept or idea, it does that perfectly. Who cares if they cut corners a bit.

Ah, I hadn't though of that. That's entirely possible.

I don't know anything about the possible legal issues surrounding this, but it seems to me if Tango did re-purpose a WarZ image and then publicly released concept art incorporating that image, they might be in a little bit of trouble. Like Jackpot said, for internal use, that would be fine, but probably not for public use.

But maybe a legal-minded GAFer will post and give us a more educated opinion on the situation.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this is ironic. I feel bad about the artist who did this and thought it was just for internal use. Or it could be an asset purchased from a 3rd party, which can also make sense

Ok, I'm confused. Tango is the developer, and Bethesda the publisher. Is the concept art the work of the publisher then? I thought the developer would do that?

What you are seeing is the beginning of people using Bethesda as a scapegoat of anything bad about The Evil Within or Tango. For another instance of this look at BioWare and EA.

Not to mention, when good things come out of Bethesda's published games, they need to emphasize that it's done by the developers, not Bethesda.

Although, they're the publisher so they must know how to advertise their game.

Anteater

Tango just shot themselves in the foot.

Mikami, publicly apologize and commit Seppuku or you can kiss your business goodbye.

4VyknzG.jpg

zoukka

Blah that's disappointing. Then again I have first hand experience of thai/chinese artists doing the same thing in a game project I was in. One guy even straight up STOLE a pic and claimed he made it... the working ethics are a bit different when you venture east.

This is a high visibility studio though. They have no excuses.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There's a right way and a wrong way to speed up production of concept artwork... this is definitely the latter lol

There's no right or wrong with concept art production. Concept art is made to turn ideas into visual material in the first place and mainly for internal use.

If we are talking about promotional material, then its a different story.

spirity

What you are seeing is the beginning of people using Bethesda as a scapegoat of anything bad about The Evil Within or Tango. For another instance of this look at BioWare and EA.

Yeah, I suspected that might be going on. Kind of awkward to watch.

Mik2121

Yeah, if the artists had access to the images and they were free to use or they paid the licenses, there's nothing wrong with doing this. Using image references is incredibly common and not a sign of being lazy, but having a super-tight schedule during which you can't just go and paint every single person and object there. Though ideally you'd rather paint all the basic shapes by yourself, then add references to increase the detail while still keeping the original layout and balance you sketched out, of course.

Edit: Woah, this thread is kinda old. Sorry for the bump, dunno why I posted here lol (guess I found this thread searching something, left it here and then when I came back now I thought it was recent lol)

Top Bottom