• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: The Assignment arriving early 2015

realcZk

Damn, I still need to finish this game. Did they ever improve the performance on PS4? Destiny has been taking way too much of my time lately... then to make matters worse I've been trying to get some Dragon Age in...

Gbraga

So was this game any good, bought it on release and then left it alone.....

7.8 too much evil

Hopefully it isn't shit, but like chapter 9 instead.

huh, I thought Chapter 9 was pretty much the epitome of shit in this game, haha.

I was really liking it up to chapter 6, chapter 10 was also amazing. 13 was ok too, I guess. 9 was terrible imo, those fucking random encounters crap, WHY??? It's not tense, it's not hard, you just run in circles like an idiot for a few seconds for it to go away and then resume your playthrough.

I also wish they didn't lock both of those weapons for NG+, at least one of them would be great to fight some RE5 enemies that appear later on.

Lernaean

Banned
well not literally, but nothing between the first 10 minutes of the game and last 10 minutes of the game actually happened, so...

Well yeah,
it wasn't real, but it could very well kill Seb, so it was as real as it gets.

Azlan

I am only two or so chapters away from finishing this game. I really need to go back and finish it, as I was really enjoying it.

Sunset Overdrive came out and it was pretty much impossible to go back to the Evil Within. They are complete opposites as far as immediate satisfaction in gameplay and the mood of the game. It was like fighting my way out of a nightmare dungeon and then being a bad ass god/dess in a paradise city.

DVCY201

So you get the impression there -are- answers, right? Like, Mikami understands it all, but us fans are still figuring it out.

We're pretty sure we have a handle on it, but the problem is that our answers need confirmation. As it stands now, we've only connected the dots and came up with likely theories.

Here's my question though. Who's John Johanas? Mikami is not directing the DLC, rather he's just a supervisor. And I do wonder how much influence Bethesda had in this DLC. I guess this DLC will answer some questions and make new ones.

We're pretty sure we have a handle on it, but the problem is that our answers need confirmation. As it stands now, we've only connected the dots and came up with likely theories. .

We? Is there an official story post somewhere on Gaf? I'd really like to read someone's summary, who has been able to piece together everything that happened.

Taruranto

I own TEW on PS4, but haven't played it yet. Is the story really that ambiguous, or is it one of those anime-esque stories where people have made "sense" of it but it's just not blatantly spelled out in the game?

The story is basically "Mikami tries to write Silent Hill and fails spectacularly at it".

It's baaaaaad. Especially the characters, holy shit.

DVCY201

We? Is there an official story post somewhere on Gaf? I'd really like to read someone's summary, who has been able to piece together everything that happened.

By 'we', I just mean a collective bunch on NeoGaf. If you drop into the spoiler thread for TEW you'll see plenty of people who caught a lot of the finer details, and have formed their own ideas. It's not sanctioned though, simply fan speculation, which is why hopefully the DLC actually answers a few of the hard questions.

The story is basically "Mikami tries to write Silent Hill and fails spectacularly at it".

The story is absolutely nothing like Silent Hill, only certain design elements are
(The Keeper/Meat Locker/Fighting 2 of them)
. It takes more inspiration from Inception really.

Mifec

There really are no chars except for Ruvik, the Sebastian you play doesn't even come close to the one in his journals rofl. Same with the voice acting only Ruvik is half decent.

I finished the game twice, mostly for the shooting and difficulty but having the plot rely on collectibles and having no actual story for the first 9 chaps is pretty meh.

The plot isn't that hard to follow I fail to see why everyone is having trouble with it.

Dmonzy

well not literally, but nothing between the first 10 minutes of the game and last 10 minutes of the game actually happened, so...

Kinda of.
Even during the opening and ending scenes about the hospital you are still in the machine.

There really are no chars except for Ruvik, the Sebastian you play doesn't even come close to the one in his journals rofl. Same with the voice acting only Ruvik is half decent.

I finished the game twice, mostly for the shooting and difficulty but having the plot rely on collectibles and having no actual story for the first 9 chaps is pretty meh.

The plot isn't that hard to follow I fail to see why everyone is having trouble with it.
I don't get it either, there are also hardly any unanswered questions left after finishing the game. Getting the collectibles isn't even required although they help to understand the details and to make some connections. Is it because the story is not told completely in a linear manner?

Xav

To any UK GAF members on the fence about The Evil Within. GAME are selling The Evil Within for £22.49 on Xbox One/PS4 and £19.99 on Xbox 360/PS3. You can pick up the Limited Edition for the same price.

K1LLER7

Finally got the ps4 version delivered today. Can't wait to play it tomorrow and over the weekend. Heard good things. Hopefully it's up there with Resi 4.

I am only two or so chapters away from finishing this game. I really need to go back and finish it, as I was really enjoying it.

Sunset Overdrive came out and it was pretty much impossible to go back to the Evil Within. They are complete opposites as far as immediate satisfaction in gameplay and the mood of the game. It was like fighting my way out of a nightmare dungeon and then being a bad ass god/dess in a paradise city.
That's how it was for me. Bayonetta 1/2 and Shadow Warrior came out and it was hard to go back, despite really enjoying it. I've since gone back though and it's great (even if chapter 11 kind of sucks so far)

Chapters 3, 6, 9, and 10 have been real highlights. Sure it's rough but when it works it's damn good and it can look incredible when it wants to.
The black bars don't bother me

Neff

Alriiiiight.

Put me on Team None. I think the entire thing happened inside STEM, aside from the moment where Seb momentarily 'wakes up' which could potentially be real, then hallucinates himself shooting himself, and that Ruvik is now a literal ghost within the machine, albeit as Leslie.

I don't get it either, there are also hardly any unanswered questions left after finishing the game.

There are dozens of unanswered questions.
Did Joseph survive? Who is Tatiana? Was Juli on Seb's side? Are they still connected to STEM? What does Mobius want Ruvik/STEM for? Is Mobius in cahoots with the cops?
The list goes on.

Excited for the presumed answers this will provide for the story and not to sound like a cheap bastard, I hope they put the season pass on sale next week.

SRTtoZ

Ot but I want to know about the patch. Fps has been fixed on console or not?

I hear its better but its still bad at times. I don't know how to compare it since I just started playing yesterday but its sometimes smooth, sometimes very choppy (outdoor areas, lots of fog, lighting etc). My biggest issue with the game is you're FIGHTING to even see anything because of the huge black bars, mediocre framerate (sub30) and lots of fog. Gameplay wise, atmosphere wise, its fun.

somedevil

Well
if you go by those missing posters your already in the machine before the game started. At the end you finally get out of the machine.

I hear its better but its still bad at times. I don't know how to compare it since I just started playing yesterday but its sometimes smooth, sometimes very choppy (outdoor areas, lots of fog, lighting etc). My biggest issue with the game is you're FIGHTING to even see anything because of the huge black bars, mediocre framerate (sub30) and lots of fog. Gameplay wise, atmosphere wise, its fun.

I played the beginning on pc when it came out and decided to wait for a patch before actually playing through to the end. I fired it back up yesterday and there are no black bars and I'm getting 60 fps and it really is a totally different experience when you can see what is happening.

antitrop

I don't think it's that people don't understand it, it's just that people think there has to be more to it.

It's barely even a story. It would have been better off not even trying to tell a story and just went with the game being a random assortment of horror-themed levels with no real coherence, like it already is, but without the half-assed context.

Alriiiiight.

Put me on Team None. I think the entire thing happened inside STEM, aside from the moment where Seb momentarily 'wakes up' which could potentially be real, then hallucinates himself shooting himself, and that Ruvik is now a literal ghost within the machine, albeit as Leslie.

There are dozens of unanswered questions.
Did Joseph survive? Who is Tatiana? Was Juli on Seb's side? Are they still connected to STEM? What does Mobius want Ruvik/STEM for? Is Mobius in cahoots with the cops?
The list goes on.
Alright, I admit that there are questions left unanswered, but most of them regard only details of the story. I'm just under the impression that many have trouble understanding even only the basic backstory that sets the happenings in the game up.
Experiments (funded) by the church, Ruvik's youth and how he became what he is, etc.
But if that's clear to everyone, then there's no problem.

Fisty

I don't think it's that people don't understand it, it's just that people think there has to be more to it.

It's barely even a story. It would have been better off not even trying to tell a story and just went with the game being a random assortment of horror-themed levels with no real coherence, like it already is, but without the half-assed context.

Narrative seemed to be fit onto the concept of being able to visit all these locations so quickly in the game. I liked this execution over RE4 in this particular matter, but I can see why it would cause debate

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
According to the Bethesda Blog article on the DLC;

Since we decided early on the character was going to be Kidman, I wanted the DLC to play different rather than having it feel like just a character skin. My favorite DLCs have been ones that give the player a new spin on gameplay, while still feeling connected to the main title.
Probably two of the biggest inspirations were Chapter 5 and 9. Chapter 9 had you uncover past stories by solving puzzles and exploring and there is a lot of that in the DLC. Overall, Juli’s adventure is rather story driven — Juli tends to “discover” these things by her actions and by solving puzzles. But at the same time, the atmosphere and progression is similar to Chapter 5, where you were trapped in a very oppressive area and the “horror” element was at its strongest.

However, I would say there’s quite a bit of variation in her encounters so I wouldn’t want anyone to think “Oh, it’s just another Chapter XX.” Even the “horror” element has a different feel! Juli’s experiences are much more dark, lonely, and claustrophobic.

I thought these were the most interesting words from the director.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just hope we don't have deal with too much Leslie.

It will definitely deal some with him, if too much or not is to be seen. At the very least, we know Juli is at the following locations through the course of the main campaign:

(obvious spoilers)

-Chapter 1: She is with Sebastian & Joseph at the start of the main campaign and waits outside the mental hospital (or does she?). She is probably the person who rescues the Doctor & Leslie, actually, as we don't know how they end up in the ambulance. She crashes with them in the ambulance, and then disappears. As Sebastian see's Leslie, she probably is not with Leslie after the crash.
-Chapter 5: She is in the container filling with liquid who Sebastian and Joseph rescue, then gets separated when they all get grabbed by Laura's arms. She's still not with Leslie at this point of the game.
-Chapter 6/7: She is seen briefly with Leslie entering the Chuch with Leslie in Chapter 6. In the church, you can see a moved statue at the shrines entrance that Juli probably moved and entered, then locked behind her. We hear them in the catacombs in Chapter 7, but then Juli and Leslie get separated.
-Chapter 11: We see Juli holding off against hordes of enemies and fight with her for a while, but she eventually ditches us when we start becoming more infected. She's not with Leslie at this time, but Leslie is nearby.
-Chapter 12: She is on the bus with Joseph & Sebastian, Leslie is not around.
-Chapter 13: We crash and we eventually see her with Leslie again at a park, where
she attempts to murder him.
-Chapter 15:
She is chasing Leslie and is in the room at the end before Leslie is taken into Ruvik. What happens to her after that is unknown.

So it sounds like they will be separated/rejoined quite a bit.

Mifec

Well there is a story, multiple ones actually but most of the complaints I see are from people going wtf was the story was a it a dream and so on while

You have the Ruvik background story, Seb's wife from the journals and the actual game plot stories presented. They also somehow don't get the ending which is pretty obvious and not open ended, you woke up in the real world, Ruvik got Leslie's body and for some reason his powers carried over or got strengthened aka not needing to be hooked up to his brain directly. Oh and the org that had you all along is the org Seb's wife found and the one that made her disappear. I am sure most people can figure that out.

Cerity

Nice, will grab this.

It's understandable if people didn't get the story, it jumps around quite a lot. But it was mainly just laying the groundwork for (possible) future sequels with Ruvik. Hope the next DLC deals with Myra, if not Myra, Tatiana.

Top Bottom