• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Paganmoon

IIRC, last year, it wasn't untill sometime in Novemeber when it hit Netflix, wouldn't be surprised if it's the same tbh, no matter how many times Ty says "soon".

It really boggles my mind they'd be ok with this delay. Either there isn't much money involved ("pocket change" for Netflix?), or they've gotten a really really shitty deal.

Again, it boggles my mind, why set such a restriction? It's not within the same market so it's not going to compeet with the US streaming services...

Backlogger

Finally was able to pick up Season 2 on Blu-ray and digital HD. Will be adding to my Plex server as well :) Looking forward to rewatching Season 2 over the next few weeks.

Paganmoon

Strange there isn't at least some traffic here now that it's actually available in Europe. Guess it can mean a few things, lots of people already watched it though "other means", the delayed release makes it less interesting for a lot of people, people are busy binging Narcos, or it simply isn't that popular.

Anyway caught up 4 episodes, thoughts so far:

Bobbie's actress isn't half bad, at least on par with Holden, Naomi and Alex.
Damn, I think I'm liking this belter kid, great casting, radiates optimism and teenage glee at things, without becoming annoying. Love his belter as well, really nails it with the dialect.
Speaking of nailing belter dialect, the woman playing Fred's second does a great job as well, she seems kick ass, to boot.

As mentioned earlier, Holden and Naomi, and Alex, seem to still be trying to find the characters, not feeling them as of yet, and to jump off from that, I never "bought" the romance between Holden and Naomi in the books, and even less so do I buy it in the show. It never made sense, still doesn't.

Avasarala is great as before, and her bodyguard seems like a good cast as well, never liked his character in Spartacus, so never thought much about the actor, doing fine here though.

Amos actor is also killing it, not anything like book Amos in looks or age, but still great adaptation.

Great casting for the science guy too (not Dresden, the captured one). could do intense without coming off comic book villain type.

Strange there isn't at least some traffic here now that it's actually available in Europe.
I had forgotten to move the OT over to Community after the season finished up, so I had to do that now. If you want to generate some interest, it's best to make a new thread in Off Topic announcing that it's available on Netflix in Europe. Older OTs don't tend to get a lot of new viewer traffic.

Backlogger

For those watching this season for the first time on Netflix I highly recommend listening to "The Churn" podcast on iTunes between episodes.

Paganmoon

I had forgotten to move the OT over to Community after the season finished up, so I had to do that now. If you want to generate some interest, it's best to make a new thread in Off Topic announcing that it's available on Netflix in Europe. Older OTs don't tend to get a lot of new viewer traffic.

Ah, that explains a lot. Hadn't noticed we were sent to Community.

Watched the first 5 episodes and holy shit is it good! I didn't expect the second season to be so much better than the first, probably going to binge watch it this week. Anyone know if this is getting a third season?

Jezan

I just started season 2, it was added last friday to mexican Netflix. I rewatched all season 1 this week and I caught many things that I didn't notice the first time.

Starting s2 and, will the Gunny character be cool or is she just trying to be more badass than the previous cast? I'm not even finished with ep1 and I want to punch her in the face. I hate when they add "badass" characters in the first ep of a new season because it just feels like the producers want to 1-up the fan favorite characters.

Crispy75

I just started season 2, it was added last friday to mexican Netflix. I rewatched all season 1 this week and I caught many things that I didn't notice the first time.

Starting s2 and, will the Gunny character be cool or is she just trying to be more badass than the previous cast? I'm not even finished with ep1 and I want to punch her in the face. I hate when they add "badass" characters in the first ep of a new season because it just feels like the producers want to 1-up the fan favorite characters.

She has character development, don't you worry.

The first 5 eps of S2 finish the events of the 1st book. She's only introduced in book 2, so her events in these opening eps are just setting the scene for her and the Martians, who we haven't seen a lot of so far.

Jezan

She has character development, don't you worry.

The first 4 eps of S2 finish the events of the 1st book. She's only introduced in book 2, so her events in these opening eps are just setting the scene for her and the Martians, who we haven't seen a lot of so far.
Thank you :)
It's just that her scenes look out of place in the first ep. Now my second fear is Naomi, hopefully she doesn't become a damsel, like her scenes with Holden suggest :/

Damn it, wanna start ep2 but I have to sleep now D:

Ushay

UK here,
Just watched S2 on Netflix. What a superb show this is, so surprised by how well written and executed this series. Well done to SyFy, they have a legit smash hit on their hands.
Guess I'm in for the long haul.

One moment that really made me laugh was when
Chrisjen was interrogating Draper, and the Mars delegate interrupted her asking if there was anything else she wanted to ask and she goes 'I'll ask whatever the FUCK I want, thankyou very much'
.. I literally spat my drink out at that scene.

Jezan

I finished Ep2 and Miller WTF?

Why did he kill that guy? Fuck you Miller.

Also, that space battle was awesome and scary that the bullets (?) went through the hull as nothing.

EDIT (starting ep4): DAMN IT! They are launching the big ass ship!
EDIT 2 (starting ep5): This is so stressful, OMG I'm sorry this post is like my blog now, lol.

DieH@rd

Banned
Are there any indications that Expanse S1/S2 will be re-released in 4K or HDR [streaming/UHD BD]?

I finished Ep2 and Miller WTF?

Why did he kill that guy? Fuck you Miller.

Because that guy would 99.99% walk away free after mercilessly killing so many innocents if he was handed to proper authorities of Earth or Mars. What Miller did was horrible, but it "had to be done". In the book, this action of Miller was described as totally celebrated by every OPA soldier who fought on the station [and yes, in the book they had to battle hard under leadership of Miller inside station to get to the command room, SyFy did not have budget for that], reserved reaction by OPA leadership [because they lost a strong bargaining chip], while Holden was pissed because by then he was still in his "full Paladin" mode of Book 1.

Just caned series 2. Really enjoyable. I like the vein of realism that runs through it: people generally act as per their motivations and contexts, and the near future feel is really well done (although still falling prey, at times, to unimaginative projections of 21st C things, as does a lot if sci fi, probably unavoidably). Also interesting how degrading the experiences are for the crew's moral selves (Amos being a curious distinction to Holden) and how each strand remains interesting.

Was pissed when
Gross Homless Guy
died tho. Was well done but I liked him.

DieH@rd

Banned
If anything threatens Expanse, I think that others will save it (SyFy or Netflix).

BTW, when will S3 start airing? Are they filming/done filming?

Well...
Season 1 was December 2015
Season 2 was February 2017
They already announced that Season 3 starts sometime in 2018. So if I had to guess, they'll probably want to keep their early in the year timeslot. So I wouldn't be surprised if they aim for another period between January-April

I finished S2 quite some time ago, and the mor eI think about it, the less some of the aspects make sense. Usually I don't really care for logic holes but since I regularily geek out about the hard science fiction parts of the show, I actually started to notice them. Btw, it wasn't planned that way but the points are actually ordered from bothers me a bit (1) to bothers me the most (4).

(Spoilers ahead obviously)

1. I can forgive anything concerning the protomolecule (on Eros) itself. Sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic and so on. It can accelerate a huge stone without detectable engine an the people on it don't notice any forces? Fine. The whole knowledge about that type of technology had to be encoded in its DNA (or equivalent)? Ok, fine. It connects with Julie to some symbiontic organism? I can live with that. But why only Julie and not the thousands of other people it "infected"? She wasn't even the first person it came in contact with since the whole crew of the Anubis was infected before Julie got out of her cell.

2. So, you're Julie, you are obviously infected with some dangerous alien organism and the last thing you remember is crawling to your showr before you pass out. Then you wake up (after some strange dreams) in a blue room with stuff coming out of your body and a man you've never seen before stands next to you with a nuclear warhead. He seems to be obsessed with you and babbles something about love despite you two never met. What do you do? You kiss him. Wtf were they thinking? Please tell me that's not how it is in the book. I mean, I can kind of understand Miller getting obsessed with this girl, creeps like that exist in real life, but her response just is absolutely baffling to me.

3. What is this Protomolecule-supersoldier nonsense? The damn molecule moved a whole asteroid with advanced technology just a few episodes ago and you want me to believe some human scientists seeded it into a bunch of children and it adapted to their bodies and created this? That's a completely different behaviour than what we've seen before, although it came from the same source (unless I missed something and there was a second source other than Phoebe). Sorry, I don't buy the Martians can alter its interaction with the human body.

4. The fact that the Martians were in on the whole protomolecule business at all undoes a lot of the logic presented in S1. Just to recap. With the end of S2 we know that the following persons knew about the protomolecule:
- Mao and his team working more or less independnetly
- One single government official on Earth (Errinwright)
- At least one whole branch of the Martian Government, which is at least partially in the military.
IIRC Mars knew at least roughly what was going on on Phoebe. I'll give them the Donnager because it's shortly after everything wnt South and I can beleive that nobody who knew about the top secret research was onboard. But several other diplomatic incidents in S1 are motivated by the fact that Earth and Mars think the other is behind the Stealth Ships and whatever happened on Phoebe. For example that one episode where they race each other and the Martians then blow up Phoebe. You even see the dialogue on the bridge in which clearly nobody has any clue what's going on. At this point I expect MArs to have a tight grip on what's happening regarding anything related to the molecule, because the goddamn know about it!

Still a good show, but I enjoyed S1 a lot more, although it was a bit unfocused in the beginning)

You missed/forgot a couple things. Julie was specifically experimented with/weaponized by Mao’s team on Phoebe. The whole Phoebe experiment utilized her/PM sourced from her.

Julie is dead.

Mao had a couple different teams working on different projects with PM. They were specifically probing different types of interactions with the molecules.

The Martians were only buyers of the experiments on Titan. Not the ones making the PM soldiers. That was still Mao.

Mao mentioned after Errinwright abandoned him that he’d find new patrons.

You missed/forgot a couple things. Julie was specifically experimented with/weaponized by Mao’s team on Phoebe. The whole Phoebe experiment utilized her/PM sourced from her.

Julie is dead.

Mao had a couple different teams working on different projects with PM. They were specifically probing different types of interactions with the molecules.

The Martians were only buyers of the experiments on Titan. Not the ones making the PM soldiers. That was still Mao.

Mao mentioned after Errinwright abandoned him that he’d find new patrons.
Are you sure?

According to http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Julie_Mao_(TV) Julie never set a foot on Phoebe and first encountered the PM abord the Anubis after it went rogue on Phoebe.

She might be technically dead, but the PM formed a structure clearly resembling her body and has maintained her consciousness. In my book that still counts as Julie...

Doesn't really matter how many research groups they had, I find it hard to believe they can control such an advanced organism as the PM to such a degree. But that's a moot point to discuss.

I'm very sure the "test" of the supersoldiers on Io (that's the correct moon) that was at the very beginning of S2 was approved by the Martians. That was before Errinwright abandoned Mao. Also, again, according to http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Caliban the project was "backed" by Mars, meaning they fund it and get a certain amount of control. In the timeline presented in the show this collaboration had to be going back to at least the Phoebe incident, probably way longer. Maybe that's different in the books, I don't know. You think nobody told them what else was going on with the PM?

Jackpot

Banned
I finished S2 quite some time ago, and the mor eI think about it, the less some of the aspects make sense. Usually I don't really care for logic holes but since I regularily geek out about the hard science fiction parts of the show, I actually started to notice them. Btw, it wasn't planned that way but the points are actually ordered from bothers me a bit (1) to bothers me the most (4).

(Spoilers ahead obviously)

1. I can forgive anything concerning the protomolecule (on Eros) itself. Sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic and so on. It can accelerate a huge stone without detectable engine an the people on it don't notice any forces? Fine. The whole knowledge about that type of technology had to be encoded in its DNA (or equivalent)? Ok, fine. It connects with Julie to some symbiontic organism? I can live with that. But why only Julie and not the thousands of other people it "infected"? She wasn't even the first person it came in contact with since the whole crew of the Anubis was infected before Julie got out of her cell.

2. So, you're Julie, you are obviously infected with some dangerous alien organism and the last thing you remember is crawling to your showr before you pass out. Then you wake up (after some strange dreams) in a blue room with stuff coming out of your body and a man you've never seen before stands next to you with a nuclear warhead. He seems to be obsessed with you and babbles something about love despite you two never met. What do you do? You kiss him. Wtf were they thinking? Please tell me that's not how it is in the book. I mean, I can kind of understand Miller getting obsessed with this girl, creeps like that exist in real life, but her response just is absolutely baffling to me.

3. What is this Protomolecule-supersoldier nonsense? The damn molecule moved a whole asteroid with advanced technology just a few episodes ago and you want me to believe some human scientists seeded it into a bunch of children and it adapted to their bodies and created this? That's a completely different behaviour than what we've seen before, although it came from the same source (unless I missed something and there was a second source other than Phoebe). Sorry, I don't buy the Martians can alter its interaction with the human body.

4. The fact that the Martians were in on the whole protomolecule business at all undoes a lot of the logic presented in S1. Just to recap. With the end of S2 we know that the following persons knew about the protomolecule:
- Mao and his team working more or less independnetly
- One single government official on Earth (Errinwright)
- At least one whole branch of the Martian Government, which is at least partially in the military.
IIRC Mars knew at least roughly what was going on on Phoebe. I'll give them the Donnager because it's shortly after everything wnt South and I can beleive that nobody who knew about the top secret research was onboard. But several other diplomatic incidents in S1 are motivated by the fact that Earth and Mars think the other is behind the Stealth Ships and whatever happened on Phoebe. For example that one episode where they race each other and the Martians then blow up Phoebe. You even see the dialogue on the bridge in which clearly nobody has any clue what's going on. At this point I expect MArs to have a tight grip on what's happening regarding anything related to the molecule, because the goddamn know about it!

Still a good show, but I enjoyed S1 a lot more, although it was a bit unfocused in the beginning)

1. Julie formed the core of the protomolecule nexus, a bit like Mercer in the game Prototype.

2. Can't remember if it happens in the book, but she's clearly disorientated/not all there with thinking she's in the Razorback. I understand seeking comfort with another person when you're confused and scared, but the kiss was probably just to give Miller's arc a somewhat happy ending.

3. The Protomolecule adapts to its host and its environment. As Protogen's leader said just before he was shot, it reprograms their basic components. With its regenerative capabilities and energy leaching you'd probably only need to integrate it into the materials that make up the host's body for it to become strong enough to withstand vacuum.

4. The Martians knew there was "something" in S1, a new weapon or virus. After Protogen is exposed and dismantled, Mao said he had to sell it to Mars to get the R&D resources he needed. In S1 it was all Protogen.

Yeah, thats not really Julie at the end. Its some fragment of her consciousness, combined with the hundreds of thousands of other human beings the protomolecule has used/absorbed. I view the kiss more as the core of humanity always wanting to connect with another human in times of extreme duress, and remember that entire asteroid was on its way to crash into Earth so the duress levels were amped up.

And yeah, there isn't really much to indicate the ENTIRE martian government is behind the incident on Ganymede, in fact Bobbie's interactions suggest its just a small faction, just like Errinwright is probably not working alone but its a very small group in EarthGov willing to use the protomolecule to get ahead (of Mars, Belters).

Are you sure?

According to http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Julie_Mao_(TV) Julie never set a foot on Phoebe and first encountered the PM abord the Anubis after it went rogue on Phoebe.

Sorry, this was my error, I meant to say Eros. All the planetoids are getting mixed up in my head as it has been a few months since I last thought about this show. They came in and specifically weaponized protomolecules from her on Eros.

Top Bottom