• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

i-Lo

That last bit of the finale with accompanying visuals gave me goosebumps (Mister Savage ftw). It was reminder of human nature and how it never changes and that the proto molecule either changes that or evens the playing field for the next set of wars.

I haven't read the books but I wonder if there's going to be some sort of Deus Ex Machina being brewed on Venus.

suzu

If the show gets to book 5, it would be amazing (in terms of all the shit going down). Ahhhhh I wish this show was more popular. :(

Paganmoon

Last two books have definitely been the weakest for me, both writing wise and story/characters.

Actually it's been pretty downhill after book 2.

Edit: btw there's a book spoiler thread (very inactive though), if you want to discuss the books openly, without the need for vague talk about upcoming events.

I haven't taken a poll or anything, but to me it seems that people generally feel that book 4 is the weakest of them all, but that 5-6 are better than 2-3.

Pretty much. Altough i really appriciated the intial conspiracy/detective vibe from the first book the most which never made a return in that form later on unfortunately.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah at this rate I don't think there's any chance they're going to finish the series. Which at the rate they're going I always considered to be a long shot anyways (1 book = season and a half in a like 10 book + several mini books series....yeah...). I just hope they have enough time to get through book 3 as that's kind of a nice stopping point for most of the plot and character arcs starting in book 1. At book 4 the series essentially starts a new "arc" (if that makes sense) and the scale of the series gets a ton bigger. If they do it that way itll be a massive cliff hanger ending thatll likely piss some people off, but I can't think of a better stopping point given the shit ratings that spell doom in the long run for the show regardless. Plus, show fans can always pick up book 4 and finish the series if they want.

Yeah. Might be the most we can hope for.

Cool. Good lookin' out.

Jackpot

Banned
Roci cutaway

https://imgur.com/gallery/SRJey

UgzZLLj.jpg

Crispy75

That's awesome but am I missing something from the books? Does not make too much sense to have the command center on an outer level of the ship, centrifugal force and all that jazz.

Yep, the "bridge" should be a highly armoured core right at the centre of gravity, to reduce Gs on the crew during hard maneuvers.

Volimar

I'm kind of surprised that the Roci was able to threaten its way out of restricted space. As state of the art as it is they couldn't have taken out all those ships. Surely their countermeasures would have been more than enough to handle her divided fire and together their attacks would have made short work of her. I know, I know, they wanted to fight the Earthers, but still.

Also, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think radiation works the way they made it seem. Wouldn't the radiation have had to reach the creature for it to be able to sense it? Barring some otherwordly (heh) sense organs? Just opening the canister wouldn't do that or things like the lead walls that doctors stand behind for X rays wouldn't be very effective.

Chris R

I'm kind of surprised that the Roci was able to threaten its way out of restricted space. As state of the art as it is they couldn't have taken out all those ships. Surely their countermeasures would have been more than enough to handle her divided fire and together their attacks would have made short work of her. I know, I know, they wanted to fight the Earthers, but still.

It's a Mexican Standoff. Mars and Earth waiting for the other side to blink to destroy them.

If they are firing at the Roci, they aren't monitoring the other and will most likely be destroyed wholesale. That and the Roci would have been destroyed but probably could have taken a ship or two down with it and you have a not so attractive situation. Or that's how I see it at least.

Volimar

It's a Mexican Standoff. Mars and Earth waiting for the other side to blink to destroy them.

If they are firing at the Roci, they aren't monitoring the other and will most likely be destroyed wholesale. That and the Roci would have been destroyed but probably could have taken a ship or two down with it and you have a not so attractive situation. Or that's how I see it at least.

Maybe. I guess deep down I hoped they believed them about the refugees and cared enough not to fire.

Kin5290

That's awesome but am I missing something from the books? Does not make too much sense to have the command center on an outer level of the ship, centrifugal force and all that jazz.
The Roci doesn't spin to simulate gravity. That's why all of the decks are perpindicular to the main line of thrust. In normal cruising conditions the ship normally burns to 1g acceleration, which the crew feels as 1g oriented "downwards".

Also, the bow is armored and angled in a way to defeat oncoming small rounds, although a gunboat like the Roci would be only so much space dust if a railgun slug hit it.

The way I saw it, any torpedoes that the Rocinante fires would open up holes in the Martians' point defense network which could be exploited by the UN forces.

The way I saw it, any torpedoes that the Rocinante fires would open up holes in the Martians' point defense network which could be exploited by the UN forces.

Yeah, that's why Holden underscored the state of the art nature of their weaponry, each one of their torpedoes (including an indeterminate number of remaining nuclear-tipped torpedoes) could potentially disable a martian ship, significantly weakening their strategic hold of the Ganymede airspace.

sazzy

Off topic but does anyone know when this will be on Netflix?

Season 1 is on Netflix Australia as a Netflix Original.

Steejee

The Roci doesn't spin to simulate gravity. That's why all of the decks are perpindicular to the main line of thrust. In normal cruising conditions the ship normally burns to 1g acceleration, which the crew feels as 1g oriented "downwards".

The vertical nature of the decks combined with the Epstein drive concept made the physics nerd in me very happy with this show. I explained it to my wife (who's an engineer but not into complex space stuff typically) and she found it a neat way to handle gravity. Spinning the ships only works if the ships are reaaaaally wide, so having the drive handles that problem nicely.

The idea of continuous 1g acceleration/decceleration to travel to a new solar system is one that I've seen a few times, but just doesn't have a means we know of to achieve.

aaaaa0

I think he's complaining that the command deck isn't at the center of the ship.

Like this is how the cut-away shows the Roci:

Bottom [===============(bridge)] Top

When it should be:

Bottom [========(bridge)=======] Top

Because when the Roci is in combat, and is spinning hard on its center of mass, to change which way the main engine is pointed, the second arrangement puts the least G-forces on the crew (especially since they would be negative Gs with the way the floors are set up -- pulling all the blood to their heads raising stroke risk).

Although I guess this way the bridge is the furthest possible distance from the engines, which might be more important depending on the radiation output of an Epstein Drive.

On another note, in the novels the command chairs are all gimbaled so that when the ship is maneuvering, they always point in the right direction to direct the Gs in the orientation that humans can best survive, but I guess that would be too expensive to film.

DrSlek

On another note, in the novels the command chairs are all gimbaled so that when the ship is maneuvering, they always point in the right direction to direct the Gs in the orientation that humans can best survive, but I guess that would be too expensive to film.

They're also coated in a thick layer of force absorbing gel to stop people being crushed against the chair.

DevilDog

Pretty much. Altough i really appriciated the intial conspiracy/detective vibe from the first book the most which never made a return in that form later on unfortunately.

:(

I really enjoyed the detective stuff going on, had it been more expansive in scope, it would have served greatly to introduce the world.

Okay so I finally caved and have started reading the books (almost done with book 3) after S2 ended because I got so hooked and needed to know what happens next. First, it is super cool that it's not 1:1 but big threads seem to tie together the show and the book. Also, one thing I've kind of realized between the two: the books make the factions & organizations seem much more competent, and the actual individuals it follows less so, while the show glorifies the individuals over the groups. Game of Thrones feels much the same - I guess it's easier to translate heroes to TV over the complexities of a world full of factions, organizations, and politics.

The books are interesting. It feels like I'm reading almost a different genre of book with each one; I'm still not sure if I enjoy that or not. I know there's some stale book thread around here somewhere but is there somewhere to discuss BOTH book & show spoilers, a la GoT?

Feep

Banned
My friend and I just got to "wherever I goddamn like" and we had to pause the episode for like eight minutes while we got it out of our system.

Chrisjen is queen forever

Bless

My friend and I just got to "wherever I goddamn like" and we had to pause the episode for like eight minutes while we got it out of our system.

Chrisjen is queen forever

Bless
Just finished an s1/s2 marathon (well, over a couple of weeks).
*great* show. And she is easily the best character in it. Too bad Holden has so little charisma. Good thing that chrisjen is so prominent in s2 (and gunny is actually doing pretty well too)
otherwise the show would suffer a lot from josephus' death

I'm an absolute sucker for melodrama and that scene in Ep.12 with Champa the HUGE Belter that was acting as security at the docking port just hit me hard. I'm a cryer and that had me getting all emotional. Then when he gave up his spot. Fuck Me.

Gallbaro

Banned

Also, the bow is armored and angled in a way to defeat oncoming small rounds, although a gunboat like the Roci would be only so much space dust if a railgun slug hit it.

No, I get the gravity is thrust generated and it is part of what I love about the show. But in violent turns (centrifugal force) and general combat would you not want them closer to the axis as well as more pieces of metal between them and space.

- ‘The Expanse’: David Strathairn Cast In Key Role In Syfy Space Drama Series
David Strathairn has been tapped for a major recurring role in the upcoming third season of Syfy’s hit space drama The Expanse.

Syfy is keeping details under wraps, but it’s described as a substantial character with a significant arc.

Based on the bestselling book series written by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (under the pen name James S. A. Corey), The Expanse, set 200 years in the future, follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective (Thomas Jane) and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

Strathairn, Oscar-nominated for his portrayal of famed broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow in Good Night, and Good Luck, also is known for his role as Dr. Lee Rosen in Syfy’s Alphas. He was recently cast opposite Peter Dinklage in Sacha Gervasi’s HBO movie My Dinner With Hervé, and also appears in Gervasi’s upcoming film November Criminals, which will be released in November. His other recent TV credits include Amazon’s Z: The Beginning of Everything, NBC’s The Blacklist and Showtime’s Billions. He’s repped by ICM Partners and Madeline Ryan/Ryan Entertainment.

The third season of The Expanse is currently filming in Toronto and will premiere in 2018.

pa22word

All books spoilers
Marco Inaros? Looks too old for that but you never know

It's gotta be
ashford
right? I can't think of anyone else this early who it might be unless they are moving things around again. A little old, but I don't think age matters much for his character arc really.

Anyone else expecting season 3 to be the final season? I'll be sad, but the ratings are still pretty much in the toilet and this has to be one helluva expensive show.

Maybe they make enough from Netflix licensing to cover production, that would be absolutely fantastic. I'd love to see this go all the way to 7 or 8 seasons to cover the entire story arc, but I just don't see how that is gonna happen.

pa22word

Anyone else expecting season 3 to be the final season? I'll be sad, but the ratings are still pretty much in the toilet and this has to be one helluva expensive show.

Maybe they make enough from Netflix licensing to cover production, that would be absolutely fantastic. I'd love to see this go all the way to 7 or 8 seasons to cover the entire story arc, but I just don't see how that is gonna happen.

I think they'll at least finish book 3 (maybe 4 seasons?), but after that I don't think there's much of a chance of continuing.

That's a pretty good stop though for fans because book 4 is kind of a hard new start in terms of overall plot that would be really easy for people who've just watched the show to jump onto.

Moff

It's gotta be
ashford
right? I can't think of anyone else this early who it might be unless they are moving things around again. A little old, but I don't think age matters much for his character arc really.

or the bad commander dude on the colony planet, forgot the name (of both the planet and the commander, lmao)

pa22word

or the bad commander dude on the colony planet, forgot the name (of both the planet and the commander, lmao)

Ooooh my gawd...that would be ultra inspired casting, he's perfect for that! Though if they move that character that far up and don't make it to book 4 the blue balls felt would be almost deadly to think about ;-;

Top Bottom