• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The final hours of Zipper Interactive (Socom Devs).

Speaking of sears, and H Hour, he just recently switched to Unreal 4 engine and put up screens to show difference .

https://www.sofstudios.com/index.php?/page/updates.html/_/psyop/this-one-is-a-makeover-r189

hnnnnnnghhhhhh

back_wall.png

little_room.png

I honestly do not have any sort of sympathy for zipper. They made that classic socom gameplay when they were indie. Sony were the ones that fucked this franchise up into what it is. Their was a very thorough interview where the truth came out about the incompetent supervisors at sony that lead up to the closing of the studio. I will never forgive them for what they did and I will be buying H - hour as soon as possible and ignore any attempt of Sony trying to squeeze anything more of this games tarnished name.

Huh? You say you don't have sympathy for Zipper but you blame Sony for ruining them? :/ Shouldn't you have sympathy for Zipper then...?

Varg

Banned
Huh? You say you don't have sympathy for Zipper but you blame Sony for ruining them? :/ Shouldn't you have sympathy for Zipper then...?

Nope. They accepted the poisonous fruit by sticking with Sony and listening to their demands. I still count halo 2 and socom 1 and 2 as the best multiplayer games ever made. If they stayed indie, this franchise could have been something.

Coolade

From their website, seems they have the greenlight to dev for ps4, they have been doing betas and stuff via steam I believe. Game is sbaping up nicely and gives that socom glory days feel.

If I remember correctly, someone said that sony was the one that forced them to go the COD route even when everyone from the beta was against the changes. Sad but H Hour it will be.

They can develop proof of concept for the PS4 all they want. They still need a publisher to fund the full project.

SJRB

Gold Member
MAG was one of my favorite games last gen... damn I had so much fun.... BUT NEVAH FORGET!

jCjFmRo.jpg

I still had a ball getting my ass kicked because of this.

Hahaha this brings me back. God I hated SVER so much.

MAG is an incredible accomplishment but has some bizarre design choices. Some quality journalist should write a lengthy post-mortem on that game, I'd love to know the "behind the scenes" stuff from development to release to support.

Plus, yes, PS3/last gen might have been too early, power-wise, to try for games of that kind of scale (quantity of players)

Last gen was very bad for certain multiplayer games that tried to push the envelope. Frontlines:Fuel of War, Section 8: Prejudice, Starhawk, Test Drive Unlimited, etc were ground breaking titles in many respects but the audience never appeared to make them big hits.

Not to derail this thread, but what's the deal with H-Hour? Is it even an actual game at this point or still just a concept? I want to be excited and i backed it on kickstarter wayyy back when, but is this ever even going to happen?

Not to derail this thread, but what's the deal with H-Hour? Is it even an actual game at this point or still just a concept? I want to be excited and i backed it on kickstarter wayyy back when, but is this ever even going to happen?
We basically funded a demo that they show to get investors to fund the actual game.

Chubear

M.A.G was their big mistake. Never should have been green-lighted.

Socom 4 was just the final straw.
Actually MAG outsold SOCOM by almost double and was an online only game and was profitable for a MAG2 with more than 1.5mill units sold but the profits went into SOCOM4 development instead which was just bullcrap cause if not for SOCOM4 the fans of MAG would have had a MAG2.

Actually MAG outsold SOCOM by almost double and was an online only game and was profitable for a MAG2 with more than 1.5mill units sold but the profits went into SOCOM4 development instead which was just bullcrap cause if not for SOCOM4 the fans of MAG would have had a MAG2.

MAG should have been a Socom spinoff if anything.
Slant 6(despite me liking Confrontation)should not have been given Socom,Zipper should have established a PS3 Socom first and then move on from that.

After Socom 3/CA and MAG Zipper just didn't get it anymore.

Raoh

MAG was awesome, it just wasn't meant to be on PS3. The other mistake was to make it online only, servers get shutdown, they need to let you play whats on the disc with bots. Hell they should've experimented with f2p models to see if it could live on in that form.

I hope such a massive shooter, or just more tactical shooters in general comes back on PS4.

ItsYaboi

Neo Member
MAG......LEGENDARY FPS !!!!

WHY ?
What game has this kind of intensity
32vs32 by default
Command and PROXY CHAT...this should be present in any serious FPS
BIG MAPS
Decent clan support though not perfect.
AFAIK no AIM assist so better bring your A-game

AND last but not least
the MAG Community with it's DRAMA

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Loved MAG one of my favourite games last gen, my friends and I were bored of cod and bf so MAG was a breath of fresh air, spent countless hours playing it with my friends. Wish there was a sequel to it to fix the issues it had however outstanding fps

I'm not sure why Sony just abandoned the studio though, sure MAG Confrontation and Socom4 were subpar, but did they lose a ton of money from them? MAG was very ambitious and could still be made into a great game especially with the PS4 being starved for new games. The skelton was there, they just need to reskin it a little and create a better balance.
Did well but was from Slant 6 not Zipper.
MAG underperformed, Socom 4 was a disaster and Unit 13 was a Vita game.

Top Bottom