• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

RT Critics Consensus: Power Rangers has neither the campy fun of its TV predecessor nor the blockbuster action of its cinematic superhero competitors, and sadly never quite manages to shift into turbo for some good old-fashioned morphin time.

Pachimari

RT Critics Consensus: Power Rangers has neither the campy fun of its TV predecessor nor the blockbuster action of its cinematic superhero competitors, and sadly never quite manages to shift into turbo for some good old-fashioned morphin time.

It has like 3 fighting scenes in the suits. And probably around 15 minutes of Zords action. So yeah, I'm hoping for more fights in the sequel.

sadly never quite manages to shift into turbo for some good old-fashioned morphin time.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

molnizzle

this RT critical consensus tho
syNIto1.png

Critics Consensus: Power Rangers has neither the campy fun of its TV predecessor nor the blockbuster action of its cinematic superhero competitors, and sadly never quite manages to shift into turbo for some good old-fashioned morphin time.

edit: damn it, took to long to find a pogchamp gif for this post lol

Sanjuro

Alright. Thanks to the free ticket gods seeing this tonight. Having some whiskey beforehand for the best possible experience.

Oh shiiiiiiiit
Breakin' out them turbo puns to fuck the movie up. Harsh.

Just saw it. It was fucking awesome!

The acting and chemistry between the rangers was A+. The suits looked really good in motion—the zords looked awesome.

Seriously surprised by how funny and clever the writing was. Also surprised that a 7pm showing on a Thursday was packed. All 20-somethings.

Everyone cheered when they played the 90s theme song!

Also I agree with what others are saying in that the movie is far more entertaining than Logan.

Naomi Scott (the pink ranger) is going to have a huge career.

Did you see the same film? This movie was dark as fuck for a children's Power Rangers movie.

It was absolutely not dark as fuck for a children's film. The movie is rated PG-13. Sure, it's gritty. But nothing about the film is dark. It's a funny coming of age story.

To even suggest that any thing in this film is darker than what DC has contrived… Are you sure you watched the same film?

Sanjuro

It was absolutely not dark as fuck for a children's film. The movie is rated PG-13. Sure, it's gritty. But nothing about the film is dark. It's a funny coming of age story.

To even suggest that any thing in this film is darker than what DC has contrived… Are you sure you watched the same film?

The film was basically Chronicle and Man of Steel.

I'd say it was darker in toned than any of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies.

vareon

The film was basically Chronicle and Man of Steel.

I'd say it was darker in toned than any of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies.

Um, it's really not. It shifted target audience from kids to teenagers I think but never that dark. Unless you mean visual tones?

I think I'm on board with preferring everything prior to the morphing sequence as well.

I loved the alien aesthetic of everything related to the Rangers, and Goldar seemed to be a molten, golden distortion of the actual Megazord.

On that subject, the Megazord was either lacking in visual appeal or just not shown well enough in an appealing light. Was hoping for the team to become united inside of the head or torso, instead they were all spread in bubbles a few meters apart, controlling each limb individually.

Rita drifting through space is a huge indicator that Zed is coming, plus her bit of dialogue right before getting slapped off the planet.

Do they update the suits and zords for the sequel?

robotrock

Banned
Everyone cheered when they played the 90s theme song!

Did this moment feel like it was at a lower volume than it probably should be? IDK I was definitely freaking out a bit when they finally played it but thought the moment didn't feel as impactful as it should have. Might have just been my theater though. All the sound mixing in the last 30 minutes of the movie felt a bit off.

Did this moment feel like it was at a lower volume than it probably should be? IDK I was definitely freaking out a bit when they finally played it but thought the moment didn't feel as impactful as it should have. Might have just been my theater though. All the sound mixing in the last 30 minutes of the movie felt a bit off.

Same issue in my theater.

Also hoping Rita's minions are brought into this Power Rangers universe in some way. Not sure if that's possible seeing as Goldar is an elemental monster who doesn't speak so far.

Let's cast Aaron Paul as Jason Pinkman and harass the fuck out of Zordon.

Pachimari

On that subject, the Megazord was either lacking in visual appeal or just not shown well enough in an appealing light. Was hoping for the team to become united inside of the head or torso, instead they were all spread in bubbles a few meters apart, controlling each limb individually.
I thought this was genius and better done than in the original. Them sitting in each their robot commanding each limb makes more sense and is just better for it.

That must have been your theatre.

Person I follow on Twitter liked PR more than Logan, shit I'm in

Ironically Logan and Deadpool are like the only two CBM movies in the past few years that I liked better than Power Rangers. Still had a ton of fun with my movie, and my friends were texting me last night that they were surprised how decent of a film it was to open. Really hope we at least get a Green Ranger sequel.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro is on drugs.

Not even close.

Yes. It's the drugs. Certainly not the fact this property traditionally contains Disney Channel quality characters and content. I have more in the spoiler thread, but the tone was surprisingly dark beyond any reasonable expectation.

Nope.

Pachimari

I think I see where Sanjuro is coming from. The first scene was literally dark. Then there's some scenes with a horrifying Rita Repulsa, and some literally darker tones in the visualization. Add some character stuff too like
Billy's death
and
Kimby's secret
. But I won't say the whole movie is dark and edgy.

Sanjuro

I think I see where Sanjuro is coming from. The first scene was literally dark. Then there's some scenes with a horrifying Rita Repulsa, and some literally darker tones in the visualization. Add some character stuff too like
Billy's death
and
Kimby's secret
. But I won't say the whole movie is dark and edgy.

I don't think it's trying to be edgy at all. It all feels grounded within the universe it builds, but to a surprising amount.

haikira

I'll say upfront that I haven't seen this yet, though I do hope to in the next week or so.

I really doubt it's as mature as The Dark Knight, a film that has mentally challenged character with a bomb that's been surgically inserted into him, a kid with a gun pointed to his head, an allusion to someone having a pencil inserted through their eye socket, on screen deaths, a character who has their face horrifically burnt, someone beaten brutally in an interrogation scene, and honestly a whole lot more.

Pachimari

I don't think it's trying to be edgy at all. It all feels grounded within the universe it builds, but to a surprising amount.

I just tried to understand where you were coming from saying this movie is dark as fuck.

I really doubt it's as mature as The Dark Knight, a film that has mentally challenged character with a bomb that's been surgically inserted into him, a kid with a gun pointed to his head, an allusion to someone having a pencil inserted through their eye socket, on screen deaths, a character who has their face horrifically burnt, someone beaten brutally in an interrogation scene, and honestly a whole lot more.

It isn't.

Sanjuro

I'll say upfront that I haven't seen this yet, though I do hope to in the next week or so.

I really doubt it's as mature as The Dark Knight, a film that has mentally challenged character with a bomb surgically inserted into them, a kid with a gun pointed to his head, an allusion to someone having a pencil inserted through their eye socket, on screen deaths, a character who has their face horrifically burnt, someone beaten brutally in an interrogation scene, and honestly a whole lot more.

That was a Batman film where the tone did not surpass anything I would have expected.

It's also not as mature, you're right.

xk0sm0sx

It's not a bad movie, I really liked the characters, but man it sucked for a Power Rangers movie. They should't have called it that.

What shitty choice of music, I need my cheese in Power Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom