• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flowers of Evil (Aku no Hana) |OT| There's a rotoscoped SHIT EATER in all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotcheggz

I'm man enough to admit that a lot of my first impressions were based off a kneejerk reaction. After going back and watching the episode again, I found myself enjoying it quite a bit more. I'm looking forward to the next episode as the story certainly escalates after that last scene.

I still find that the character animations weren't the best design choice though. Maybe I'm missing something but i don't understand what's stopping them from creating unappealing/realistic character designs while still using tradition animation. It's not even about keeping it reminiscent of the manga's art but surely a competent studio can portray the same (maybe even better) type of unique atmosphere without resorting to that kind of technique, right? All that said, for all the shit that image of Nakamura has been getting to the point of becoming meme-worthy, I actually really liked how she looks in this frame. Probably even more than her manga design.

Honestly, from what I can tell, the majority of bad reviews are people reacting badly to the character design when compared to the manga, basically this;

But I really don't care myself, the design is different now and I'm okay with that, I don't need every character to be pretty.

Ah okay, thanks. I can understand how people can be passionate about source material etc. As for the rotoscoping, I liked it, I thought the low frame rates that people are upset about and the lack of definition worked really well with the atmosphere, there was enough to get emotions out of the characters faces, anything more and I think it would've seemed a bit crass if you know what I mean. It all felt very understated and I think that worked.

Anyway I'm glad this thread had its shit eater title, I really enjoyed that episode. I've never really gotten into anime, but It's made me a little more open to checking out some others in future.

duckroll

The official site has updated with a look at the live action cast for the show (I think the guy's friend is only there because he's play by some known comedian in Japan):

Eeuorpu.jpg

web01

I think it looks good, and I liked it.

The complaint that the people look ugly is a weird one because they look more like real people than almost every anime I have seen that has stylised kawaii uguu characters that are completely out of touch with reality,

I think it looks good, and I liked it.

The complaint that the people look ugly is a weird one because they look more like real people than almost every anime I have seen that has stylised kawaii uguu characters that are completely out of touch with reality,

Whats wrong with kawaii characters?

They got yamadas hair right, he is so far funniest character.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The official site has updated with a look at the live action cast for the show (I think the guy's friend is only there because he's play by some known comedian in Japan)
I actually kind of like him. His hair makes him stand out from all the other blob people.

Read volume I.
Anime style > Manga style.

It's way more atmospheric and evocative in the anime than the manga, and the tone it creates is very fitting for the themes of the story.

Maybe it's a case of, whichever you see/read first you prefer, but yeah, anime > manga.

Read volume I.

It's way more atmospheric and evocative in the anime than the manga, and the tone it creates is very fitting for the themes of the story.

Maybe it's a case of, whichever you see/read first you prefer, but yeah, anime > manga.

I really like the style of the anime. It might be just because it's different from most other anime though. It certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I absolutely loved the first episode of this. The direction feels very deliberate and focused while evoking a very strong sense of "isolation", and I think the animation and art really do a good job of mirroring the state of mind of the protagonist.

Definitely feels like true art; especially with the polarizing reactions it is having right now.:3 the director clearly DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK! can't wait to see what he has planned in the coming weeks.

7Th

The official site has updated with a look at the live action cast for the show (I think the guy's friend is only there because he's play by some known comedian in Japan):

Eeuorpu.jpg

They're better looking than the anime equivalent...

duckroll

I'm just asking because they look like they're about twice the age of the characters they're supposed to be playing. Except Afro I guess, he looks like he's 40.

Other than the two guys I don't think anyone really knows. They're mostly unknown amateurs who are parts of various stage groups I think. I tried to look them up before. Probably in their early 20s or younger I guess. The guy is a total newcomer who is voicing and playing the lead role, and he's 19. Turning 20 in October. The Afro dude is 56875 years old. He's a known comedian personality in Japan.

Sick bastard!!!

wonzo

Banned
Read volume I.

Yeah, the character art at the beginning of the manga's kinda bad but it gets much better as it goes on, watching it evolve's part of the charm really. Volume 2's definitely worth checking out too as it really sets down the overall tone of the rest of the series.

Yeah, the character art at the beginning of the manga's kinda bad but it gets much better as it goes on, watching it evolve's part of the charm really. Volume 2's definitely worth checking out too as it really sets down the overall tone of the rest of the series.

Volumes II - VI are on their way ;D

Epcott

I watched the first episode twice last night.

I may have been too hasty about the animation. Though jarring at first, it really sets the mood of the animation.
I still believe the animation frames are just a little too slow, if it were a more smooth like Kid's Story it would have been amazing. But once you look past that issue, its not bad.

Wondering if I should read the manga.

Lucent

Well, guess I can't say you haven't been keeping up if you watched shows that recent.

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that this would have been a lot better if it was closer to the manga's art style with a more over the top direction. I might be a bit biased though because I like the manga's art while I find this incredibly ugly.

I have to agree with that. I haven't read the manga myself, but I haven't heard of it until this anime got talked about on Kotaku. So I looked it up and saw the manga style. I just can't handle the look of this. It makes their necks look thick. And the minimal lines they use to just show they have nostrils and mouth lines just seems lazy and weird. I noticed some really messed up looks on the characters while watching it.

But I agree that the background art is amazing.

Also I saw this on Crunchyroll's site and I couldn't help but laugh...

60657_10201053482722177_582124034_n.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Awful rotoscoping" is redundant.
Nakama.

Eeuorpu.jpg
Saeki and Nakamura look awful.

Random.

Everyone should read the manga.

Oshimi can give Inio a run for his money.

Dresden

Oshimi can give Inio a run for his money.

Oshimi > Inio, although no one else comes close to Asano's photoshop magic. (I don't mean this in a denigrating way.)

It's a pity the anime (probably) won't cover the transition into the "ideal" part of the story, just the "spleen."

Haly

I was referring to both of them being pretentious fuckwits.

Haly

- Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go "Nakamura-san, unf unf" will probably feel betrayed. (lol #2)
FUCK YOOOOOOU!

wonzo

Banned
Volumes II - VI are on their way ;D
hellyeahthumbsup.gif

Welcome to the club.
Episode 2 needs to hurry up.
I second this. I'm quite looking forward to seeing how things progress. I think I'm going to leave the manga until I've saw a couple more episodes.
Worry not as the next episode'll start airing in Japan in just over seven hours!

I'm intrigued. Did you read the manga? I can't get crunchy roll where I am so it's actually easier for me to get a hold of the manga.
You can't go wrong with the manga, it's excellent even if the character art's a bit weak at the beginning.

I like Oshimi as much as the next guy but lets not get crazy here.
Nah, they both own burt Oshimi's better (but KENGO is king).

Haly

we driftin' apart haly

like two pieces of shit in a toilet

swirling

and swirling
Fixed.

And shit drifts together, not away. Until they hit the sewage that is, then they get mixed up with all the other shit.

Really, we are all just shit in a pipe heading out to sea.

Despera

Banned
Genuinely intrigued by the first episode and looking forward to the next one.

I also enjoyed the visual style, which is one of the reasons I gave this show a shot in the first place. I somehow am glad they opted for the rotoscope idea instead of a more traditional approach. Lip-syncing however is fucked up, but nothing unexpected considering all we know about the show's production.

The music I found very fitting, and the ED slowly creeping through and from the final scene was a nice touch. The OP song on the other hand was weirdly out of place.

So yeah... I liked the first ep but cautiously anticipate the next one. Episode 2 will probably be where the show picks up the pace and hopefully garners a less negative reception.

Episode 2
There's way too many still shots in this one, obviously a budget thing. The earlier scenes in the classroom where everybody 'pops' in and out of animation into the still is really distracting, it wasn't too bad in episode one, but it's pretty bad here.

Having said that, I loved everything else!

Nakamura's characterization is spot on, and now she's not just a still in the background, those ugly pictures of her are pretty redundant, because when she's animated close up, it looks really nice.

Nakamura's not so ugly now.

I also feel like the rotoscoping continues to show a really good array of emotions, this part was really nice.

I don't think this episode will change anybody's mind (if they didn't like the first) but the plot has really hit the ground running now. lol @
the scene of Kasuga running away.

Will watch again later!

Haly

There's such a thing as doing too good of a job.

It's just like the Redline debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom