• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

Beyond what you can get from a simple list of winners:

-Greg Miller won the trending gamer award and gave a long but pretty good speech
-Mark Hamill was probably a little boozed and did the Joker voice in the award presentation he did
-Kiefer accepted the award for best action game and then Doritos Pope said the reason why Kojima didn't accept it was because Konami's lawyers barred him from doing so, prompting a gigantic wave of #FucKonami
-Jade Raymond gave the award for best performance, gave a "you're not my real Snake" burn to Kiefer, and fucked up the name of the game the award winner was from (it was the girl for Her Story and she said Witcher 3)

Really? That seems uncool. I missed it though.

gamerMan

I thought it was great compared to what it was 2 years ago with what's his face. There were some genuine surprises especially in the start. I love we got a new glimpse of Uncharted 4, learned that Telltale was making a Batman game, and the tribute to Iwata. Greg's speech was pretty raw. It wasn't perfect and it lost some steam at the end but it was more entertaining than most award shows.

Did they also forget about RPG Of The Year?

Since Witcher 3 won that and GOTY they just mentioned it as "oh they also won this" as the winners walked up tot he stage like they did with MGSV winning both best action game and the award Undertale should have gotten but wasn't even nominated for.

Jade never said Her Story. She said Witcher 3 and she did it in a questioning way which implies the card was written incorrectly.

Yeah I think it was pretty clear the card was just wrong and she read it like anyone in that situation would. I'd speculate whether it was the Actors Name or the Game title that was incorrect, but Gearlt winning seems unlikely.

Show was pretty good, watched it on delay so I skipped commercials and the Battlefront backstage stuff.

There are necessary evils when putting together a show like this, I truly doubt Geoff wants to talk about discounts, go 90, mention the Xbox player winner (what was that about), or cut to Budlight commercials. But he simply wouldn't be able to do the show without that stuff. It's easy for someone like Sterling to sit on a high horse and call him out for schilling, but he really just comes off like a twat.

Lingitiz

This is EXACTLY what I see when I see Keighley during these things. You hit the nail on the goddamn head.

Yeah I have to agree with that, he would be better off behind the scenes. However he is probably one of the few guys that has enough TV experience doing this sort of thing to carry the show. Maybe now 2 shows in after setting the tone he can sit back and let someone else host. But then again you need someone that isn't a celeb and actually has the same level of respect, seriousness, and knowledge that Geoff does. Otherwise we get Joel Mchale again.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think my main complaint I had about the awards last year is still the same as this year of making awards this side thing. They shouldn't be cut out and put off to the side, more devs should be up there on stage thanking the academy.

I would understand Jim's hate if he actually watched the show. But since he didn't, yeah, he is being extremely pety for no reason.

Still like the guy though.

James93

Nobody truly hates him for that - he's the topic of a few light hearted jokes, but he's done more than enough to win back any respect he might have lost. In Bosman's case I'd even congratulate him for getting that gig while making fun of it at the same time.

I still think it makes it slightly worse especially since it was a shill for EA half the time. Add that plus people running around looking like they are lounging at there house and its hard to take this show with an bit of seriousness

Mentok

Banned
Happy that XBox owners will finally get to play Rocket League, easily one of my favourite online games in years. Also loved hearing about Shadow Complex coming to PC and PS4, it's a GREAT game!

I don't know why people are harping over the shills...the show had to get sponsors, and I doubt anyone gave up money with the attitude "Just take the money, we want nothing in return!".

I liked the show, exactly what I was expecting from it. Sure there wasn't this MASSIVE world premiere for everyone to rave about, but that's not the show's fault. I enjoyed it. The only thing they may want to do is wait until the venue is more full next time, the place looked pretty empty when they started the stream.

EDIT: To add to the dress-code discussion, it's not that there were a lot of t-shirts (which there were), but some guys looked like they were in sweatpants too!

SpotAnime

Kudos to Geoff for putting on another fantastic show. I think I liked last year's more, it seemed more genuine. This year's was approaching Spike territory with so many music acts and Hollywood stars, and the majority of it was more of a promo for world premiers than a true awards show.

But still, no one does it and I appreciate what he's doing for the industry. After all, it gave us an enjoyable program to watch for a couple of hours and chat about endlessly afterwards online!

Undertale got mega robbed at these awards, by the way.

I was thinking that too. Was surprised it didn't win best Indie.

iNvid02

it might take another year or two for this to cement itself as a staying award show, and then the industry might be more comfortable with providing better reveals

At least it gave us the necessary outlet for Johnny V to whip an Infinity toy out of who-knows-where. Wouldn't be a gaming show without that happening at least once!

To be honest that was pretty great how Johnny V flipped and piggybacked on it, turning it into marketing for Disney Infinity. I don't think Justine expected that.

Good job, Geoff.

I enjoyed the show's presentation and flow, it seemed a lot more evenly paced than my memories of last year.

Loved Gregg Miller's speech and the Westwood tribute.

Disappointed with some of the comments in this thread

I thought it was great compared to what it was 2 years ago. There were some genuine surprises especially in the start. I love we got a new glimpse of Uncharted 4, learned that Telltale was making a Batman game, and the tribute to Iwata. Greg's speech was pretty raw. It wasn't perfect and it lost some steam at the end but it was more entertaining than most award shows.

Honestly, while his nickname comes from a moment of corporate whore-dom Doritos Pope does seem to legitimately care about video games as an art form and wants to make TGA a good show. But he still needs money from the big guys to afford to do the show in the first place, which is the source of most of the bullshit in the show.

JohngPR

At least it gave us the necessary outlet for Johnny V to whip an Infinity toy out of who-knows-where. Wouldn't be a gaming show without that happening at least once!

Love that dude. He's the perfect guy for that job...so genuinely happy to be in the position he is in.

KarmaCow

I think my main complaint I had about the awards last year is still the same as this year of making awards this side thing. They shouldn't be cut out and put off to the side, more devs should be up there on stage thanking the academy.

Yea it was a real shame that Ed Boon got his award offstage in the preshow. Come on Geoff.

I think as long as Geoff is hosting no one will take it seriously. He cares about the industry but he has a past that isn't going to leave him. He is still seen as the dew, spike tv guy by many

Boy with that disrespect he oughta slap the Dorito out your mouth. I say he should continue to do the dew.

Celegus

Leave a Trace. If you liked it, luckily for you there's like seven better songs on the album.

Surprisingly one of the highlights of the show for me. I'm listening to it now and really digging it.

Never really heard much deadmau5 either, but that was... well, at least he had a cool t-shirt?

Haines

Banned
Bloodborne is niche but not as Niche as Ori and the Blind Forest, it's sold over 2 million copies. I understand its a really difficult game but it should have won at least one award.

The art in Bloodborne and detail on the bosses are insane.

Right but we were talking goty. Thats very different than art.

In the end the awards mean jack shit, bloodborne is still an amazing game,

That's the first step to getting/going back to one of those god awful red carpet shows. "You look amazing. What are you wearing today, Cliffy?"

UGHHHHHH

There's no one famous enough to do that shit.

You better get a confession in there.

He already did, in the VGA's. Not sure if it was a good one. I don't think it was. I think it was full of cringe.

The more upscale the event is, the more professionalism you'll pull out of NPH.

Finalow

W10GK9b.png
sublime 2011 retweets

where are you at, jim. make use of your gaf account

Smash88

Banned
She has the eye flutter of someone who's just had a few.

I'm not good at reading drunkenness, I just wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but you very well could be right. If so, who the hell gives alcohol to presenters before they have to go up, even Kiefer who is known to get ridiculously intoxicited was on point.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Needs more Conan.

Conan was the best. He could talk about anything, and make it entertaining. Heck, fill the awards show with late night hosts. Stephen Colbert, Conan, Jimmy Fallon, even Kimmel. They're all pretty great.

antonz

ouch
@AxiomVerge · 18m18 minutes ago  Los Angeles, CA
I think the first sign that I wouldn't win was I wasn't invited to the after party... Not even on the list. Back to Vegas! #TheGameAwards

Lingitiz

I feel like Neil Patrick Harris could host this shindig. He's a good host in general.

If I were Geoff I would take a look at hiring someone like Day 9 as a host. The dude was super professional at the PC Gaming thing during E3 and seemed like he really enjoyed and cared about what he was presenting.

Chuck

Still without luck
I feel like Neil Patrick Harris could host this shindig. He's a good host in general.

I was just thinking about this and even though Geoff wasn't very good, they kind of can't get a good host for one of these things. NPH or any other celebrity would just play up the 'look at these nerds but look I'm cool' shit.

Maybe someone from within the industry would be better. Troy Baker is my choice. Maybe even Greg Miller.

Top Bottom