• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
DMC and fire emblem are being robbed hardcore.

Edit: Luigi's Mansion 3 as well. As someone who likes control a lot, it doesn't deserve to be on that list.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Best Family Game
  • Luigi's Mansion 3(Next Level Games/Nintendo)
  • Ring Fit Adventure(Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
  • Super Mario Maker 2(Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Bandai Namco/Sora/Nintendo)
  • Yoshi's Crafted World (Good-Feel/Nintendo)

Best Family Game = Best Nintendo Game lol

Last edited:

Raven117

Sorry, but Outer Worlds does not deserve to be on that list. Especially with Outer Wilds out there (and Days Gone).

Raziel

death stranding detractors

NQjgc89.gif

zeioIIDX

Control needs to win something. Seriously. I wish more people would play it, it's been my favorite game of the last few years to be quite honest (probably tied with Bloodborne for me, and more recently Sekiro).

lol death stranding is not game of the year material.
Impressive technically, yes. but not GotY.

Since Geoff loves Kojima so much, DS is gonna sweep all the awards lol

Dthomp

I didn't realize anybody took anything Geoff Keighley does as anything but satire at this point...am I wrong?

He is Kojimas second biggest fanboy in the world, of course these "awards" have Death Stranding all over the place. Dude would take a blast to the face with the biggest smile ever if Kojima would let him.

I'm around 5 hours into Death Stranding, and it's a beautiful game and the music thus far is sublime, but so far other then being pretty it is just a big open world game delivering stuff, it's not something that should be in the GOTY voting IMO, best score, best character sure. For me this is one of the weakest years ever in gaming, way to many safe titles and the stuff that took chances end up seeming better then they are because they took a chance.

I can't see a soulsborne game winning GOTY but I could easily be wrong, those games are just as divisive as DS is to many gamers. RE2 is likely the best choice....which is sad since it's a remake of a game from 20 years ago.

GenericUser

Death stranding
Death stranding
Death stranding
Death stranding
Death stranding

T. Geoff keighley ( who happens to be an an actor in)

Death stranding
Death stranding
Death stranding
Death stranding

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Death Stranding is really good from what I've played, and it is straight-up different to everything else out there, so its a legit nomination. That not everyone likes it should not stand against it, if anything it should be in its favor, because if not then we are looking at a popularity contest, plain and simple.

Not that there's anything wrong with vox-pops, but if that is all that matters, criticism is redundant

KiNeMz

Banned
lol death stranding is not game of the year material.
Impressive technically, yes. but not GotY.

Since Geoff loves Kojima so much, DS is gonna sweep all the awards lol
Disagree. I would put ds as goty, game of this gen and possibly my game of all time. No game has ever evoked experience s like this. But to each his own. It does something new and that needs to be recognised in this AAA safety net era of gaming.

imsosleepy

I didn't realize anybody took anything Geoff Keighley does as anything but satire at this point...am I wrong?

He is Kojimas second biggest fanboy in the world, of course these "awards" have Death Stranding all over the place. Dude would take a blast to the face with the biggest smile ever if Kojima would let him.

I'm around 5 hours into Death Stranding, and it's a beautiful game and the music thus far is sublime, but so far other then being pretty it is just a big open world game delivering stuff, it's not something that should be in the GOTY voting IMO, best score, best character sure. For me this is one of the weakest years ever in gaming, way to many safe titles and the stuff that took chances end up seeming better then they are because they took a chance.

I can't see a soulsborne game winning GOTY but I could easily be wrong, those games are just as divisive as DS is to many gamers. RE2 is likely the best choice....which is sad since it's a remake of a game from 20 years ago.
good comment, shame u did not know that GEOF has zero input in who gets nominated.

I am curious if u change that opinion the further you get into the game, because death stranding really is a journey where alot changes every time u enter a new chapter. especially chapter 3/4

Last edited:

Synless

Super smash bros is the only game on that list that isnt RE2 to win game of the year. Also, cheap out to not have SSBU on the soundtrack of the year.

Its core foraging and combat loop is extremely well put together, so even though its not exactly original its consistently enjoyable to play. Its actually very reminiscent of MGSV in many ways. The use of the bike as a mobile base, particularly in regard to combat against hordes is where it differentiates itself.

The story while again fairly boilerplate in outline, distinguishes itself through good characterization and unusually naturalistic dialogue. For me, its up there with ND's best work in that regard.

On the whole its agreeably old-school in its outlook. Deke is basically Mad Max, a classic 80's-style loner anti-hero who begrudgingly re-humanizes himself over the course of the story as he is drawn into other survivors' problems. Which is more than sufficient when the piece as a whole has no pretensions of being more than a good action saga.

I guess if you demand political statements in your gaming entertainment that's a weakness, but in 2019 it felt like a much needed breath of fresh air to me.
It's ironic that most gamers decry game journalists for their lack gaming skill and their political bias, but they like to use their verdicts and opinions on games as debate tools on what's good and what isn't.
Days Gone is a very good game, it's not original or exceptional but it’s well made all around and the story, characters and general writing is very good with a lot of great performances by the voice cast.
It's weird that most gaming sites had a hate boner for this game since release, IGN's "Another straight white male" and GameSpot's out right false claims, Waypoint's false reporting by Klepek about selling a girl to a slave camp and other SJW lies.
It's like all of them were in some WhatsApp Group or something. :pie_thinking:

Roni

Gold Member
to the people who did play death stranding.
who you prefer for best performance?
I have mads over sam
I'm at the start of Chapter 8, so I'd say Mads at this moment. But I wanna see the end of the game before saying anything final.

Deft Beck

my predictions:

goty: death stranding
game direction: outer wilds
narrative: outer worlds
art direction: gris
score/music: sayonara wild hearts
audio design: resident evil 2
performance: mads
games for impact: lis2
ongoing game: fortnite
action game: dmc5
action/adventure:sekiro
rpg: outer wilds
fighting: smash
family game:
mario maker 2
strategy: total war
sports/racing: fifa 20
multiplayer: codmw

I'm at the start of Chapter 8, so I'd say Mads at this moment. But I wanna see the end of the game before saying anything final.

I think there needs to be a separation in categories for performances that are fully motion captured with the actors digital likeness with captured facial expressions, body language. From performances that are just voice overs on fictional characters that are completely original with hand done animations.

I mean it's almost like comparing acting performances from an actor that does live action versus an actor voicing a animated Disney character.

Bryank75

Banned
I've been pretty quiet here about Death Stranding since just before release, last time I posted about it I was unsure if I would even like it.

I'm still only half way through at this point but HOLY SHIT it deserves GOTY. What a wild experience so far.
Yup, it really is worth sticking with it! I'm finished the story and still going for hours and hours...

Arachnid

Control needs to win something. Seriously. I wish more people would play it, it's been my favorite game of the last few years to be quite honest (probably tied with Bloodborne for me, and more recently Sekiro).
Holy shit that's high praise. Bloodborne is my Game of the Decade. I may have to give Control a go

ethomaz

Banned
The REEEEing will be absolutely hilarious if Death Stranding wins.

“Fucking walking simulator pretentious Kojima conflict of interest FUUCK”

Dudes will be so mad they won’t even be able to form coherent sentences.
It is all about MGS4 (the only game to win twice GOTY) in GAF again lol

ethomaz

Banned
Unless IGN's video review is a lie/fake, no, DS doesn't deserve goty.
I did not watch it but most of what people commented about it are really lies.... the only explanation I can see to most of their points is if you don't have actual online community.
BTW I got interested in the game due the reviewers saying confusing things... it ended that the reviewers didn't explained the game that turned out completely the opposite of what they said.

Death Stranding is pure gameplay and it is not just walking (that is already exciting and rewarding)... there is so much more than just walk that I can't even believe how Kojima could create something even better (IMO) than MGS series (MGS actually is there too with stealth, shooting, etc).

Last edited:
Top Bottom