• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards security will be tightened to prevent another stage invasion, Geoff Keighley says

Draugoth

Gold Member
gamescom-opening-night-live-stage-invader-1440x982.jpg
The Game Awards host and producer Geoff Keighley says security will be tightened at this year’s show to prevent another stage invasion.

Both The Game Awards 2022 and this year’s Gamescom Opening Night Live show were disrupted by unauthorised people coming onto the stage and speaking into the microphone. The incidents have raised concerns for the safety of Keighley and the other guests who take to the stage to give and receive awards, and discuss upcoming games.

In a recent Q&A stream on Twitch, Keighley was asked if he would be taking more security measures for this year’s Game Awards to prevent a third stage invasion incident.

Keighley said he was, but didn’t want to go into specifics so that would-be invaders wouldn’t know the security plans in advance.

Yeah, we are. We don’t want to talk about that stuff too publicly, just because it’s security. We definitely have plans and we’re trying to do all we can to keep me safe, but also everyone watching the show, the audience, people participating in the show and everything. It’s certainly something we’re thinking about. We appreciate the concern. Believe me, that’s something that is top of mind for us, but we also want to put on a great show that celebrates these games, and celebrates our love of video games, so that’s an important thing to keep in mind as well. But yeah, I appreciate the concern around that.”

MiguelItUp

I'd certainly hope so. It's baffling that first one even happened, let alone the second. I would hope that there wouldn't be a third time.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A bunch of dip shits read this and responded with challenge accepted.

Now the stakes have been raised.

Turnt up to see who shows up unannounced and Geoff do the disappointed dad shpeel again.

WitchHunter

Banned
gamescom-opening-night-live-stage-invader-1440x982.jpg
The Game Awards host and producer Geoff Keighley says security will be tightened at this year’s show to prevent another stage invasion.

Both The Game Awards 2022 and this year’s Gamescom Opening Night Live show were disrupted by unauthorised people coming onto the stage and speaking into the microphone. The incidents have raised concerns for the safety of Keighley and the other guests who take to the stage to give and receive awards, and discuss upcoming games.

In a recent Q&A stream on Twitch, Keighley was asked if he would be taking more security measures for this year’s Game Awards to prevent a third stage invasion incident.

Keighley said he was, but didn’t want to go into specifics so that would-be invaders wouldn’t know the security plans in advance.
Geoff should put a little guy resembling the bill clinton kid in a cage and pay him to rattle his chains and try to bend the bars whenever he doesn't like the outcome of a specific category.

Flutta

Banned
it is a valid concern. They have been protesting and interrupting all sorts of events, and the TGAs would be a perfect target.

Sorry. Real life and gaming do intersect at times.
there’s a reason why politics is banned over on this side. Either rules set by the mods are followed or not. Can’t have it both ways. Or you have to accept other peoples opinions on it which most here can’t handle.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think they ought to be confronting the real terror - 8 minute acceptance speeches. Keighley ought to be announcing a trap door that activates 2 minutes from announcing a winner.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just don’t let random people in. Only invite industry professionals and their families.

Problem solved.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nah something will inevitably happen whether its staged or not

Stage invasions create buzz. Look what it's done to the show this year.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Imagine some angry fanboy runs up to the stage and takes a swing at Geoff.

Then BAM. It's revealed. It was a Geoff hologram the whole time.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Maybe start with a 5 second delay broadcasting, so you can put it on black when another attention seeker breaks protocol?

I can't believe they didn't do this after that first stage invasion! I remember thinking to myself last year "Well, there's no way another fucker gets up on stage to shout drivel this year!" and yet here we are.

I fully expect something to go wrong or awry at this year's show, and I'm all for it. Gives us something to watch and talk about other than Kratos blathering for 10 minutes straight.

Top Bottom