• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

Duderz

Banned
xsarien said:
If your idea of a good time is being annoyed, then yes.

It's kinda like watching an episode of your favorite show, then checking GAF to see what other people say. They essentially have the same reactions as you do. Case in point: If you're a 24 fan, those threads are always enjoyable to read.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'll be there all week!

My first GDC and I'm incredibly luck to have met such cool guys from GAF to hang out with while I'm there and most of all to help me get there. If anyone else is going to be at the conference and wants to do a general meet up or something along those lines send me a PM or e-mail me and we'll work out the details.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SolidSnakex said:
But it looks more like its going to just be flying around as a dragon and fighting which is..Not so interesting.
Are you freakin' kidding me?!? They unbanned you too soon ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm not getting too hyped up about it, it'll come when it comes. Think my poor heart is saving itself for the juggernaut that will be E3.

I think that the US pricepoint will be confirmed at sony´s keynote.
why wait till E3?

If they give us the pricepoint at GDC the price point will be all forgotten at the time of E3 and sony can WOW the world again with Other Cool news about PS3!

Amir0x

Banned
robertsan21 said:
I think that the US pricepoint will be confirmed at sony´s keynote.
why wait till E3?

If they give us the pricepoint at GDC the price point will be all forgotten at the time of E3 and sony can WOW the world again with Other Cool news about PS3!

There is no way that Sony is going to confirm the US pricepoint almost more than eight months in advance of launch.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Amir0x said:
There is no way that Sony is going to confirm the US pricepoint almost more than eight months in advance of launch.

Agreed. TGS for the price. Hell, TGS for the final word on the HDD, as well.

mCACGj

Man, I'll be in Florida all weeeekkk... I'll miss everything! I can't believe I'll be sittin there, relaxing on the beach, riding rollercoasters while all this news is coming!

(Actually, I am sort of upset...but don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be in Florida than on the internet looking at gaming news)

Phoenix

Goreomedy said:
Agreed. TGS for the price. Hell, TGS for the final word on the HDD, as well.

I would really be surprised if Sony is able to get out of the show without giving something definitive on the HDD. The answer may be given to 'certain' devs behind closed doors under NDA, but I think there will be people other than SOny who know the truth by the end of next week.

GDC and E3 will provide glimpses of PS3 hardware and software but it looks very likely that TGS will end up being the most significant event of the year in regard to Sony.

- HW price points for NA, EUR, ASIA
- Launch titles for all territories confirmed
- Standard peripherals confirmed (HDD, controllers, cables, etc.)
- Accessories announced
- Game/Demo disc/BD movie included?
- PlayStation Network fees (if any) announced

I don't see any of this being finalized and announced until September.

Wollan

5:30am thursday morning in Melbourne the Sony keynote starts and 5:30 friday morning is the Nintendo keynote. I guess I got to set my alarm clock early.

i dont think you guys are ready for it

ken4davatar2ly.gif

recently a guerrilla dev team member said this

There's a lot of questions here about "will our NDAs be lifted?" Sorry, the answer is no. We will be allowed as time goes on to talk about certain information, but it's still going to be a bit yet. You should expect that the first things we will be talking about will be Killzone: Liberation for the PSP.

Someone also asked about GDC. There are some folks from Guerrilla attending. I am also going. But just because GDC is coming up next week doesn't mean that we will suddenly "spill the beans" on everything Killzone.

Ferret7
Killzone Dev Team

element

I will be there, first GDC for me as well.

Hopefully they will have free wifi, I'll post updates with my laptop from the Sony keynote.

Chittagong

Gold Member
element said:
I will be there, first GDC for me as well.

Hopefully they will have free wifi, I'll post updates with my laptop from the Sony keynote.

Any thoughts of sessions worth attending? They've changed the way they list the info on the website, and suddenly it seems like mostly crap to me... Surely there must be good sessions. Last year was fantastic.

Phoenix

acidviper said:
Are gamesites or the respective companies going to be streaming the conferences?

Keynotes? Perhaps. Conference sessions - not a chance. GDC is a big ticket event, if they started streaming the sessions - everyone would stay home.

Phoenix

Chittagong said:
Any thoughts of sessions worth attending? They've changed the way they list the info on the website, and suddenly it seems like mostly crap to me... Surely there must be good sessions. Last year was fantastic.

Ronald Moore Keynote (on top of the obvious ones)
Crowd Simulation on the PS3
Global Terrain Technology for Flight Simulation
Graphics Rendering with OpenGL ES
XBox LIve Arcade
XNA Studio

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TheKingsCrown said:
I think you've confused me. I'm 9 hours forward from U.S.A. PST. So a conference that happens @ 10:30 a.m. in California will be 7:30 p.m. my time I think.
yes, 7:30 on the same day as the US, not on the previous day.

GaimeGuy said:
yes, 7:30 on the same day as the US, not on the previous day.

Yes, so theoretically that's some time after the U.S. time, even though really its the same time. I'm just saying I have to wait until later in my day.

element

Chittagong said:
The Keynotes
Postmortem: The Emotional Character Control of Shadow of the Colossus
Valve's Design Process for Creating Half-Life 2
All About Ninety-Nine Nights: Next-Gen Character Design
FrankenDragon Flies Again! Creating Playstation 3 Art for Lair
Ritual: Next-Gen Visual Effects on Direct3D 10
The Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset: A Case Study of Tools Development
What's Next in Design with Will Wright
Defining The Assassin: Designing Next-Gen Gameplay in Theory and in Practice
The Game Design Challenge: The Nobel Peace Prize

There are some others that sound interesting.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Here are some of the sessions I'm planning on attending:
Building a Flexible Game Engine:
Speaker: Tim Sweeney (Programmer, Epic Games, Inc.), Martin Sweitzer (Programmer, Epic Games Inc)
Session Description
This talk discusses three core techniques which are vital to building a flexible game engine: abstraction, indirection, and orthogonality. The presentation starts with high level theory, but quickly delves into real world application, using the Unreal Engine as an example. The talk ends with a discussion of why these techniques are crucial for creating next-generation games.

Tips and Tricks for Modeling for Next-Gen Games
Speaker: Pete Hayes (Artist, Epic Games Inc.)
Session Description
This session demonstrates tips and techniques for increasing the quality and quantity of 3D modeling. There are many different ways to generate final normal maps for low-poly models, and knowing when to use certain techniques to achieve the best possible results is essential. The concepts are presented using a combination of live modeling demonstrations and final in-game examples from Epic’s upcoming GEARS OF WAR. While these tips are presented within the example of the Epic art pipeline, they can be easily applied to similar packages and production environments.

Odd vs. God: An Interview with David Jaffe by Lorne Lanning
Speaker: Lorne Lanning (President, Oddworld Inhabitants), David Jaffe (Creative Director, Sony Santa Monica Studios)
Session Description
This session offers a rare glimpse into the mind of GOD OF WAR director David Jaffe in a one-of-a-kind interview by ODDWORLD creator Lorne Lanning. Lanning sits down with Jaffe and gets him to warm-up with "off-the-record" commentary on his recent commercial and critical hit, GOD OF WAR – and its outstanding creative and design aspects that made it a huge success. He then puts Jaffe on the spot by drilling down on Jaffe’s provocative rant on game journalists, why he thinks his comments are taken out of context, why he doesn't care – or does he? – before getting the scoop on his upcoming projects and thoughts about the future of game design. Attendees get a unique opportunity to learn what makes Jaffe tick as Lanning exposes him in a different light - as only a fellow game visionary can.

3ds Max and ZBrush Workflow
Speaker: Shane Caudle (Technical Art Director, Epic Games, Inc.)
Session Description
Speed up your workflow to create high-quality next generation game content with ZBrush 2 and Autodesk 3ds Max 8. This class will focus on how to plan ahead for the best results, the pros and cons of different options, saving effort when redos are required, and explaining how little known tools can make your life easier.

Modeling Next-Gen Characters: From Concept to Game
Speaker: Kevin Lanning (Character Modeler, Epic Games Inc.), Jerry O'Flaherty (Art Director, Epic Games Inc.)
Session Description
The visual fidelity possible with next-generation platforms begs for more realistic and detailed character models. This session discusses the character pipeline used at Epic Games to create the stunning models seen in the upcoming Xbox 360 title, GEARS OF WAR. The speakers start with an idea, and take it from concept art, to an extremely high-poly character mesh, to the final in-game asset. From the mechanical parts to the organic bits, the demonstration shares techniques used at Epic Games to achieve visually amazing results.

What's Next in Digital Distribution & Mainstream Games
Speaker: Ray Muzyka (Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.), Gabe Newell (President & Founder, Valve Software), Greg Canessa (GM, Xbox Live Arcade, Microsoft Corporation), Lars Brubaker (CEO, Reflexive Entertainment), Thomas Arundel (Director & Co-founder, Introversion Software)
Session Description
Industry analyst reports indicate that the growth in the digital distribution of videogames is expected to grow dramatically in the next couple of years. At the forefront of digital distribution are a select group of companies that have turned it into a viable business and will continue to define what is still being looked at as an emerging market. But at what cost and how are they really doing it? What are some of the advantages and challenges these developers are facing? What are the market trends?

Basically, a lot of Epic stuff, but it deals with modeling and art that interests me on an educational level as well as the possibilities that they'll show off stuff from UT2007 and Gears of War.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I really doubt they'll (the CMP group that runs GDC) will allow steams of anything in the GDC. Taking into account the price of admission for regular attendees, which are quite pricey indeed, I doubt they'd let all the content just go over the web.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Microsoft is going to show some Windows Vista capabilities in games and the possibilities of WGF 2.0 based games. In GDC they are going to put the papers in the table and tell their plans, in E3 we are going to see some games adapted to Win Vista since the release date of it is the end of this year.

Top Bottom