• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bud said:
What movie is that?

Goonies.

I'm getting my new Vaio Laptop tonight. I have to go out for dinner with an old college buddy tonight, but I intend to take my laptop with me to check the news. :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sony is doing three PS3 related sessions that were just recently added.

Introduction to PS3:
Friday 10:30 - 11:30 am

Introduction to the PS3 SPU's:
Friday 12 - 1 pm

Cell for digital Media Acceleration:
Friday 2:30 - 3:30 pm

Also doing something on COLLADA if any of you are interested. I'll be trying to attend all four schedule permitting.

TekunoRobby said:
Sony is doing three PS3 related sessions that were just recently added.

Introduction to PS3:
Friday 10:30 - 11:30 am

Introduction to the PS3 SPU's:
Friday 12 - 1 pm

Cell for digital Media Acceleration:
Friday 2:30 - 3:30 pm

Also doing something on COLLADA if any of you are interested. I'll be trying to attend all four schedule permitting.

cool so there will be some PS3 action at GDC atleast!
bring it on Sony

ant1532

Banned
anyone see this?

http://www.cmpevents.com/GD06/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=2421

Takao Ohara of NoJ will be giving a speech
"The Zen of Wi-Fi: A Postmortem of the Wireless Features of Nintendo DS"

Date/Time: Friday (March 24, 2006) 4:00pm — 5:00pm
Track: Programming
Format: 60-minute Lecture
Experience Level: All

Session Description
Adding wireless capability to a device is challenging. Nintendo introduced Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to enable players to play games with people all over the world, was launched worldwide nearly simultaneously. MARIO KART DS, ANIMAL CROSSING: WILD WORLD, and TONY HAWK’S AMERICAN SK8LAND all support Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and in its first week of availability in the United States, nearly half of all the people who bought MARIO KART DS logged onto Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to race against people around the world. What does this mean for the future of the service? As project leader of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, Takao Ohara addresses what went right and what went wrong in implementing Wi-Fi on the Nintendo DS, and also explores the lessons learned that can be applied to consoles as well, including Nintendo’s next-generation console code-named Revolution. Ohara also offers tips for developers who want to make their games Wi-Fi compatible, with the ultimate goal of getting new people involved in playing videogames.

jarosh

Oblivion said:
Word, my dawg.
let's make a band and show them fuckers!

Picture%201.gif

arne

Ecrofirt said:
I've read through the XNA news, and I also downloaded the speech about it from Microsoft.com

This looks like REALLY big news to me, and I'm really excited about the possibilities for it.

If anybody is interested, there are some screens I have access to of the XNA demos that were shown today. I'm still trying to see if I can get any screenshots of any XNA tools, those seem a bit harder to come by.

I put them up as a flickr set:

XNA demos - "culture" and "Pocket-Jong"

edit: This XNA news was *not* what I was talking about. ;)

Ecrofirt

I'm very interested.

And you can download the XNA tools that Microsoft handed out today from Microsoft.com. It's a self-extracting zip file, but it seems to have a problem if you try to directly open it. It tries extracting to ".\XNABuild", but the . screws it up. Use WinRAR or something to extract it.

I'm really interested in hearing more about how they're moving toward making games in C# now. Any info you might be able to tell would be appreciated, arne.

GhaleonEB

Arne - was the opening of Live up to 3rd parties (Live Server) what you were talking about? Or is there more to come? Both that and XNA are pretty big news....

arne

GhaleonEB said:
Arne - was the opening of Live up to 3rd parties (Live Server) what you were talking about? Or is there more to come? Both that and XNA are pretty big news....

There was actually one other thing that was what I had in mind. But...

I just went through all the stuff I have on hand and it looks like it's NOT being announced. Oh well. Hopefully it'll be on deck soon.

115541684_22c35b1089_m.jpg

GhaleonEB

arne said:
There was actually one other thing that was what I had in mind. But...

I just went through all the stuff I have on hand and it looks like it's NOT being announced. Oh well. Hopefully it'll be on deck soon.

115541684_22c35b1089_m.jpg
:(

Thanks for the update, though.

arne

Ecrofirt said:
I'm really interested in hearing more about how they're moving toward making games in C# now. Any info you might be able to tell would be appreciated, arne.

I'll try to see what I can put together as far are more info. I'm going to suspect you'll see more detailed information that I could provide come out as a result of media interviews.

One tidbit I could gather though:

The Pocket-Jong demo (seen in the screenshots) was originally created in C# for Windows Mobile and through the XNA framework, the developers could port it to Windows or Xbox 360 by just recompiling the codebase (took less than a day).

element

GhaleonEB said:
Live has been open to 3rd parties via LSP for almost two years now. The first EA games use LSP, XSN Sports, and Halo 2 use it extensively.

Ecrofirt

arne said:
I'll try to see what I can put together as far are more info. I'm going to suspect you'll see more detailed information that I could provide come out as a result of media interviews.

One tidbit I could gather though:

The Pocket-Jong demo (seen in the screenshots) was originally created in C# for Windows Mobile and through the XNA framework, the developers could port it to Windows or Xbox 360 by just recompiling the codebase (took less than a day).

Awesome. I had no idea they were pushing for moving game development to C#. the news came as a big suprise to me, and it really sounds cool.

GhaleonEB

element said:
Live has been open to 3rd parties via LSP for almost two years now. The first EA games use LSP, XSN Sports, and Halo 2 use it extensively.
I might have gotten confused -

http://www.microsoft.com/xna/.\3.20.2006.aspx

Xbox Live Services Open In-Game Innovation
In addition to XNA Studio, Microsoft today announced further enhancements for extending Xbox Live services with the Xbox Live server platform. Using this platform, developers can create their own back-end servers to run alongside Xbox Live. Developers will get firsthand experience with this update - which provides easier-to-manage and more scalable technology on Xbox Live - in the next Xbox Development Kit, expected in May.

That's what I was referring to.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Arne did you get my PM from last week? I couldn't send one to you today since your box is full. I'm just wondering what's the update on the plan.

Was the XNA stuff you guys demoed today on the DVDs they handed out? I saw a couple of MS guys prepping a room for tomorrow's session and I got a good peek on what's going down. I think I'll be joining the session tomorrow, they had some cool stuff.

element

GhaleonEB said:
I don't follow. We know MS has made some exceptions to their policy and business model on Live (EA, Square-Enix, Bungie - which helped develop some of those tools), but now they are changing the model for everyone.
LSP has been part of the XDK updates since Live 3.0 came online (actually I think a couple months before that)
Lots of games use LSP, so it isn't new here. Rainbow 6 3 on Xbox used LSP for stats I think.

Amir0x

Banned
Updated first post with some links for certain discussion summaries that went on today, nothing too interesting but there was a chat about "serious games" and also mobile games.

GhaleonEB

element said:
LSP has been part of the XDK updates since Live 3.0 came online (actually I think a couple months before that)
Lots of games use LSP, so it isn't new here. Rainbow 6 3 on Xbox used LSP for stats I think.
I believe you - but why is MS making this announcement? Is anything new in it?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Hey element, when do you want to meet up? I'll be there Wed through Fri. Any session you're gonna be at that I can spot you perhaps?

impirius

Big Microsoft news on my desktop this morning:
Windows Update said:
Microsoft has released an update to the spelling checker for Microsoft Office XP. This update significantly improves how Office XP programs find and correct errors in Dutch language documents.
spanund.gif

Mere oversight or revisionist history? You decide.

Top Bottom