• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Girl Scouts Have Accused The Boy Scouts Of Secretly Trying To Recruit Girls

Malyse

The Girl Scouts of the USA have accused Boy Scouts of America of carrying out a "covert campaign to recruit girls into programs run by the Boy Scouts" in hopes of appealing to millennial parents and bolstering their declining membership, according to a letter they sent the Boy Scouts board on Monday.

The strongly-worded letter — obtained by BuzzFeed News — alleged that BSA was "surreptitiously testing the appeal of a girls’ offering to millennial parents."

It also accused BSA leaders of making "disparaging and untrue remarks" about Girl Scout programming at "family meetings" outlining their proposed programs for girls.

A Girl Scouts spokesperson confirmed that Kathy Hopinkah Hannan, GSUSA's national president sent the letter to BSA's national president, Randall Stephenson, and the entire BSA board.

"Through various means we have learnt that BSA is very seriously considering opening their programs to girls and we have made repeated efforts to engage with them and talk about the implications," the spokesperson told BuzzFeed News on Tuesday.

"It's a potentially dangerous and bad idea," the spokesperson said, citing research supporting "single gender programming" which says that girls learn best in an all-girls environment when it comes to scouting.

The spokesperson or the letter did not specify what BSA's proposed programs for girls were.

A BSA spokesperson told BuzzFeed News that no decisions had been made regarding the girls programs and that no such programs had been implemented so far.

The spokesperson said that they had received “strong interest” from families about the possibilities of girls programs and that it was a topic they were looking into.

In the letter, Hannan wrote that they were "disappointed with the lack of transparency" from BSA in testing the programs for girls and said that BSA refused to engage with Girl Scouts despite "repeated efforts."

The letter also called BSA "reckless" and shortsighted in "thinking that running a program specifically tailored to boys can simply be translated to girls."

Hannan accused BSA of flouting the Congressional Charter and of "undercutting" the Girl Scouts organization by aiming to recruit girls.

"It is inherently dishonest to claim to be a single gender organization while simultaneously endeavoring upon a co-ed model," Hannan wrote.

"We are confused as to why, rather than working to appeal to the 90 percent of boys who are not involved in BSA programs, you would choose to target girls," Hannan wrote.

The letter suggested that BSA was using the proposed girls programs as a way to bolster their "declining membership."

"Rather than seeking to fundamentally transform BSA into a co-ed program, we believe strongly that Boy Scouts should instead take steps to ensure that they are expanding the scope of their programming to all boys, including those who BSA has historically underserved and underrepresented, such as African American and Latino boys," Hannan wrote.

The Girl Scouts spokesperson compared it to a "corporate hostile takeover."

"This is not a good fit for girls and for BSA's brand," the spokesperson said, adding that they were using these programs for a "membership push."

The letter also accused BSA leaders of making "disparaging and untrue remarks about Girl Scout programming" and of bullying people at their meetings about the girls programs.

Hannan wrote:

I am also deeply concerned about reports of aggressive posturing by Boy Scout leaders towards Girl Scout leaders at recent “family meetings” outlining the proposed girls program. This includes everything from disparaging and untrue remarks about Girl Scout programming, to subtle implications about the weakness of Girl Scouts’ long term market strength. Starting off any program when people are feeling bullied is not in keeping with the founding ideals of either Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. I implore you to condemn this behavior within your organization and to create consequences for these actions.

She concluded the letter requesting BSA to "stay focused on serving the 90 percent of American boys not currently participating in Boy Scouts" and "not consider expanding to recruit girls."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnas...o-boy-scouts?utm_term=.lepA3Np4n0#.vl4VbP2OeN

The full letter is at the link.

FZZ

Banned
Dang

She concluded the letter requesting BSA to "stay focused on serving the 90 percent of American boys not currently participating in Boy Scouts" and "not consider expanding to recruit girls."

Ethered

Loxley

Why aren't they popular though? Didn't Trump's speech give them a boost in popularity?

As an Eagle Scout - marketing for the Boy Scouts is fucking terrible. They have zero idea of how to sell themselves to a modern generation of kids. I wouldn't be surprised if most young Americans likely either think it's outdated (which parts of it certainly are) or simply don't even know it exists.

Seriously, when was the last time you turned on the TV or were watching a YouTube video and saw an ad for Boy Scouts? They're practically non-existent.

Shouldn't we just make it "The Kids Scouts" or something at this point and not delegate different skill sets to children based on whether they're a boy or girl?

cdyhybrid

BS CEO: "Alright everyone, our enrollment is dropping. We need to turn this around. We need big ideas. What have you got?"

Guy 1: "Maybe we could expand into the female demographic?"

Guy 2: "Isn't that the Girl Scouts?"

Guy 1: "No, this would be different. It would be the Boy Scouts for girls!"

CEO: "Brilliant. I love it."

2 days later

CEO: "Let's have someone with a very public history of sexual assault and creeping on underage girls to talk to our Scouts!"

As an Eagle Scout - marketing for the Boy Scouts is fucking terrible. They have zero idea of how to sell themselves to a modern generation of kids. I wouldn't be surprised if most young Americans likely either think it's outdated (which parts of it certainly are) or simply don't even know it exists.

Seriously, when was the last time you turned on the TV or were watching a YouTube video and saw an ad for Boy Scouts? They're practically non-existent.
Boy Scouts is way too embedded with religion as well for many millennial parents, such as myself.

Vengal

I wouldn't mind seeing the research supporting any of this mindset. Both these groups are unsavory in their own ways and its odd to see one of them get so defensive about something as petty as the other one possibly looking at expanding opportunities for kids.

Some boys probably would prefer programs similar to what girls scouts offer and some girls may prefer the opposite.

Pein

Banned
Where were the Boy Scouts when I was a kid? I would have joined it but I literally never see anything about it in queens or NYC in general

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Where were the Boy Scouts when I was a kid? I would have joined it but I literally never see anything about it in queens or NYC in general

It was there. I was never able to join though mostly because it was a Father and Son thing and my dad was out of the picture. Thinking about it chances are my mom kept me so I didn't get upset.

Caelus

Shouldn't we just make it "The Kids Scouts" or something at this point and not delegate different skill sets to children based on whether they're a boy or girl?

At some point in the future, perhaps.

But now I see the Girl Scouts as a separate organization for empowering young girls, since they're in need of it. And I see the Boy Scouts in a similar way, to teach young boys aspects of masculinity that aren't harmful.

So it ends up that they become similar to one another, which I'm sure they're doing. The Boy Scouts doesn't need to recruit girls, it would help if both orgs recruited more LGBT children.

kirblar

At some point in the future, perhaps.

But now I see the Girl Scouts as a separate organization for empowering young girls, since they're in need of it. And I see the Boy Scouts in a similar way, to teach young boys aspects of masculinity that aren't harmful.

So it ends up that they become similar to one another, which I'm sure they're doing. The Boy Scouts doesn't need to recruit girls, it would help if both orgs recruited more LGBT children.
Er... LGB children are generally going to look just like non-LGB children though?

As a former BS it's a shame the BSA and GSA won't combine together like every other country. The BSA is also extremely religious which annoyed the hell out of me. If you're gay or agnostic and the BSA find out they will kick you out

Xe4

Banned
Why can't girls join boy scouts? Or boys girl scouts? The idea that kids can only join groups with the same gender as them seems sexist and wrong.

Hasn't the coed Venture Crew program from BSA been a thing for a long time now?

We tried that once at my school. Lasted two campouts. Turns out, more then a few of the kids got their fornication merit batches on those trips.

FyreWulff

Uh Girl Scouts comes off incredibly sexist here. Why not let the kids choose whatever style of club they enjoy?

Seems you and most others are missing the point that the Boy Scouts are slandering the GSA for recruitment purposes.

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts only have similar names, they're completely separate organizations.

Jeffrey

I just see kids on their phones and tablets playing games or looking at memes.

What does boy scout offer for them? Like how often do you tie a knot? You can just youtube that.

Alucrid

Banned
Seems you and most others are missing the point that the Boy Scouts are slandering the GSA for recruitment purposes.

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts only have similar names, they're completely different and separate organizations.

boy scouts have no food products that i wish to consume

Ri'Orius

Perhaps there's merit to this "single gender programming" research they allude to, but yeah, it comes across more like the Girl Scouts are trying to protect their marketshare from competition.

UCBooties

We tried that once at my school. Lasted two campouts. Turns out, more then a few of the kids got their fornication merit batches on those trips.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I met a venture crew at Philmont and they were awesome.

kmfdmpig

I've never had a Girl Scout cookie. What's the best one?

Tagalongs (called a different name in some markets), Thin Mints, and Samoas (also called a different name in some markets) are all good. It comes down to whether you want peanut butter, mint or coconut. With each there are similar Keebler knockoffs.

OT:
The Girl Scouts have avoided many of the horrible mistakes the Boy Scouts have made in the last few years (forced religion, homophobia, giving Trump a platform, etc...), so I tend to side with them over the Boy Scouts even though I was a Boy Scout for a few years a long time ago.

Simmins

Aren't Girl scouts more progressive in their teaching than boy scouts? I thought that for Girl Scouts there is technology incentives to teach the children science and technology to encourage them into joining STEM along side the usual Girl Scout Activities.

Boy Scouts seems to be about outdoor and survival skills in a less progressive more traditional environment. The Culture in both seems very hostile towards the other. At the same time the girl scouts have their place in terms of Female empowerment like the encouragement for girls to join more male dominated fields, adding boys to that mix defeats the purpose in that regard. I don't see a problem with Girls joining the Boy Scouts because Outdoor and Survival Skills are useful to anyone regardless of gender. In that way if it wasn't for the attitudes and bias of the Boy Scouts I think there's more of a place for Girls in the Boy Scouts and Boys in the Girl Scouts.

Venture Crew is a coed program from the boy scouts, though many venture crews are all girls. My girlfriend's little sister was a part of one, has gone to Philmont multiple times, etc. It's actually a great program, but yeah if you put teenagers together they are gonna have sex. Not like boys aren't having sex with each other in boy scouts or vice versa.

As for the topic at hand, Venture Crews aren't exactly secret so I have no idea what Girl Scouts are on about, BSA have been recruiting girls through Venture Crews for years.

Ash735

Wait.

Waaaaiiiitttt...

Wasn't there the whole accusation a few months back calling the Boy Scouts sexist for not allowing Girls? There was even a thread on here!

And now this? Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

MartyStu

The girl scouts DO come off as sexist here, but I do not think this is their intent.

At the most basic level, this is a turf war.

Brannon

Uh Girl Scouts comes off incredibly sexist here. Why not let the kids choose whatever style of club they enjoy?

It also accused BSA leaders of making "disparaging and untrue remarks" about Girl Scout programming at "family meetings" outlining their proposed programs for girls.

"We at the Boy Scouts support girls choosing either organization. Now while you're here let us tell you why the Boy Scouts rule and the Girl Scouts drool, then you can make an informed choice about whether you want your girls to be around cooties or not"

Oersted

89c.gif

WedgeX

Banned
I will not let any future children of mine join the Boy Scouts. Despite having been one.

Decades of sweeping aside abuse, kicking out good leaders over sexual orientation, and most recently that ridiculousness of the jamboree. Unsurprising that they would try to undermine the Girl Scouts. The Girl Scouts have been pretty open about their values of inclusiveness and I imagine that's where the Boy Scouts are trying to drive a wedge with families.

DocSeuss

The Girl Scouts as an organization is waaaaaay worse than the Boy Scouts in terms of what it offers, how it teaches and supports its kids, etc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Because they know they'll lose. The two programs are almost the inverse of each other: the Boy Scouts have a lot of garbage policies but also provide some worthwhile programs and experiences. The Girl Scouts are better on the top down policies but far worse on what the actual program provides.

Top Bottom