• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club release Aug. 19th on Xbox One and PC, PS4 later this month

Hmmm I was going to pass but impressions seem to be improving the more time people have had with the game.
Out on PS4 right?
Wonder how hard it would be to create my local course.

dano1

A Sheep
I liked your course very much! I rushed a bit through it because I was in a hurry so I got a super bad score, but the verticality, general course layout and curve balls were very challenging and interesting. The only issue is... that your course is lagging so badly because of all the elements you put on it :( I wish you had built that course with less buildings/animals/props to improve the FPS.

You might like my 9 hole course that I mentioned up above. Similar design ideas. (post 260)

Just played your course. Yeah it's very tough!! But I liked it. Had your score beat until the last hole!! I will give it another try soon. Rated it a 10 but the rating doesn't show? Must need more ratings.

A new developer blog speaking primarily of the XB1 version patch that was submitted to Microsoft on Friday, check it out here:

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/09/12/xbox-one-patch-submitted/.

From the looks of the information contained in this article, it looks like they've made more sweeping fixes and improvements to the XB1 version than most of us would have imagined. The biggest impression I got from reading it was how much the point of "improved frame rate" was emphasized. I agree that it's the area that's in the most need for attention on both console versions of The Golf Club, but as an owner of each, I can easily say that it needs shoring up more with the XB1 version. Improved frame rate is cited as a benefit from changes and fixes in three separate bullets in the blog that are being treated by the patch:

1.) Several Memory Leak Issues

Improved stability.

Improved frame rate

Course Saving error after a few hours of play – fixed.

Fixed crash that could occur if the user stayed on a certain screens for an extended period of time.

2.) Improved Performance

Optimisations, to improve frame rate.

3.) Audio

FMod Thread affinity fix.

Also improved frame rate of the game.

I think HBS is trying to emphasize that they understand the need for frame rate improvement in the XB1 version and I'm relieved to see that they are putting such a high priority on it. Regarding bullet #3, as a game coding layman, can someone explain to me how one improves the frame rate of a game via a change to the audio? I'n not saying it can't happen, I'm just trying to expand my understanding of the relationship between the two. I'm also unsure or what is meant by an "FMod Thread Affinity"?

One final note I'd like to add here is that I'd recalled that some 'graphics enhancement' would be seen in the XB1 version thanks to the new SDK that Microsoft has put in their hands. The only improvement item listed in the patch blog relating to the new SDK was "This fixed issues with blocky Terrain Editing within course designer." I was hoping that what this might have also meant in terms of graphics enhancement was the implementation of some degree of antialiasing, or perhaps and increase in the level of anisotropic filtering? Maybe it's there and the blog simply didn't mention it?

Nonetheless, I think we're going to have a much more stable and playable game once this patch is applied to the XB1 version of The Golf Club!

Klocker

A new developer blog speaking primarily of the XB1 version patch that was submitted to Microsoft on Friday, check it out here:

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/09/12/xbox-one-patch-submitted/.

From the looks of the information contained in this article, it looks like they've made more sweeping fixes and improvements to the XB1 version than most of us would have imagined. The biggest impression I got from reading it was how much the point of "improved frame rate" was emphasized. I agree that it's the area that's in the most need for attention on both console versions of The Golf Club, but as an owner of each, I can easily say that it needs shoring up more with the XB1 version. Improved frame rate is cited as a benefit from changes and fixes in three separate bullets in the blog that are being treated by the patch:

1.) Several Memory Leak Issues

Improved stability.

Improved frame rate

Course Saving error after a few hours of play – fixed.

Fixed crash that could occur if the user stayed on a certain screens for an extended period of time.

2.) Improved Performance

Optimisations, to improve frame rate.

3.) Audio

FMod Thread affinity fix.

Also improved frame rate of the game.

I think HBS is trying to emphasize that they understand the need for frame rate improvement in the XB1 version and I'm relieved to see that they are putting such a high priority on it. Regarding bullet #3, as a game coding layman, can someone explain to me how one improves the frame rate of a game via a change to the audio? I'n not saying it can't happen, I'm just trying to expand my understanding of the relationship between the two. I'm also unsure or what is meant by an "FMod Thread Affinity"?

One final note I'd like to add here is that I'd recalled that some 'graphics enhancement' would be seen in the XB1 version thanks to the new SDK that Microsoft has put in their hands. The only improvement item listed in the patch blog relating to the new SDK was "This fixed issues with blocky Terrain Editing within course designer." I was hoping that what this might have also meant in terms of graphics enhancement was the implementation of some degree of antialiasing, or perhaps and increase in the level of anisotropic filtering? Maybe it's there and the blog simply didn't mention it?

Nonetheless, I think we're going to have a much more stable and playable game once this patch is applied to the XB1 version of The Golf Club!

They have also stated that they are definitely working on getting to 900p eventually

dannethmps

Neo Member
Keen golfer here, but the likes of Tiger Woods etc have never interested me that much, is this much of an improvement and worth getting on the PS4?

Keen golfer here, but the likes of Tiger Woods etc have never interested me that much, is this much of an improvement and worth getting on the PS4?

If you're a bit on the fence about it, I'd suggest waiting until the patch is released for the PS4 version later this month. There are some aggravating bugs with it right now that would likely put a lot of folks who aren't accustomed to initial release bugs in golf games.

I'll also add that there's going to be an update for this game coming in October that's going to really make it stand out... I've got an idea that it's going to turn it into The Golf Club 2, at least for me. If you have any doubts about this game at all, I'd wait until that update hits.

I'm a 10 handicapper and I enjoy the game for what it offers in its present state. It needs some serious attention to its pitching game though. The pitching swing interface is so out of scale with what it's trying to model that you have to turn it into what amounts to a lawn darts game. I hope to see it get better. They have improved explosion shots from greenside bunkers to where they're getting closer to reality, but both shot types need work. OTOH, I really like the touch and intuition required for TGC's putting game.

Hope this helps... I know I wound up rambling.

The PC update released yesterday, and among a number of other interesting features, fixes and enhancements, we've got new swing camera options. I love option 3 (they actually took the coordinates for the custom camera view I always dialed up manually suing the Game Camera settings in the PC version for option 3) for all cameras and putt soooooo much better from that perspective.

Option 3's camera is closer to the golfer and up a little bit higher, about shoulder to neck height, and is angled down a bit more such that you can see more of an overhead view of the the clubhead. I find that not only does this give me a more intimate sense of immersion with my golfer, it allows me to gauge the clubhead movement much better during putting. This will help me out tremendously on the XB1 and PS4 both with performance and aesthetic pleasure. I'm anxious to spend some quality time with this update installed to see all the more subtle things I haven't had time to digest just yet.

But the biggest news for me is the ability to transition between the golfer perspective camera and follow camera at your discretion now. It is (at least for me) a revolutionary step for The Golf Club. I got to see it in action for the first time this morning and it is a pure, visceral eyegasm! I missed seeing how to make it happen at first. If you've got your settings using Golfer cam, you have to press the "A" button (if you're using an XBox controller as I am on the PC) to tell the game when to transition from golfer to follow camera. It works beautifully and transforms the game into the player perspective/in-the-moment experience I've been after!

If you were borderline on your PC's performance with The Golf Club, I saw a 15 to 20% performance improvement with this patch/update. I can now play the game at 1600 x 900 in high detail graphics and maintain 35 fps, or higher, whereas before I had to go with medium detail graphics to get this.

HB Studios has announced that the Mid-October update for both the PS4 and XB1 versions of The Golf Club were submitted to Sony and Microsoft this past Friday. These updates will be equivalent to the PC version update which was released on October 8th. If you haven't seen it; you've missed what almost amounts to a new game, IMO. It now has four swing camera options instead of one, multiple press of the button camera angles from around the hole to aid in reading putts.

The most the most significant aesthetic difference is the new Golfer Point of View presentation option. It is along the lines of what is called the "True-Aim" camera option in Tiger Woods 11, 12, and 13, but unlike that one, you can hold any of the four swing camera options for as long as you'd like. The camera slowly moves from your swing view to your golfer's eyes as they track and follow the flight of the ball... it's truly breathtaking! You then have the option to transition to the follow camera view at any point of your choosing during the flight of the ball. IMO, it makes the game far more immersive from a player perspective!

Here's a video I put together on the PC version to illustrate how it works. It will work just like this on the PS4 and XB1 versions, we're told. I use what's called View #3, which is a bit closer to the golfer and a tad higher than the default view in the shipping version. BTW, the default swing camera is still in the mix as View #2. I cycle through all the angles in this video, but all the shots are struck from View #3.

BTW, if Sony is as quick turning this update around as they were the patch, this could be on PSN on Wednesday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-dPpPCVyo

mf luder

Looks good, I haven't played it for a while as there's so many games to play at the moment and several more in the next few weeks but I'll definitely get back into it when this update goes live. Have they added new animations when holing or missing putts?

Have they added new animations when holing or missing putts?

They haven't mentioned if for this update, but have said these will be coming in a future update. There is new commentary with the update, which I'm okay with. I still find I'd rather have it on than off when I'm playing by myself.

mf luder

They haven't mentioned if for this update, but have said these will be coming in a future update. There is new commentary with the update, which I'm okay with. I still find I'd rather have it on than off when I'm playing by myself.

Yeah, I quite like the laid back commentary. Glad there's some new stuff.

might have to finally get this now. Been waiting for the new patches/updates to see how the dev responded to complaints and it appears they are on the right track.

mf luder

might have to finally get this now. Been waiting for the new patches/updates to see how the dev responded to complaints and it appears they are on the right track.

Devs have been really good at engaging with users on the forum for this game, there's even a feature requests forum which shows whats coming in updates and what their considering. There's a list of things with how likely they are to be implemented like for e.g. career mode: coming in update 2, or high, medium or low priority.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=6753.0

I'd recommend getting it after the Update is available, especially since it's been at a reduced price for a week or so... like 25% off? It plays like it should have played out of the box with Update 1 applied to the PC version. I think the updates will help the console versions as much, if not more. It really feels like a solid game right now on the PC and I can't wait to experience all these new camera angles and presentation options in the PS4 version. I'm hearing also that the PS4 version also got a performance boost with the update, but not quite on scale as the 15-20% boost the PC got.

I've now downloaded and played both the XB1 and PS4 update versions of The Golf Club. They both are like playing new games! HBS is listening to us. Guess what is included in this update that we didn't expect? An option to turn off Depth of Field! It works fabulously in not only the looks - IMO - but also in frame rate! The new golfer camera is just killing it.... I swear - this is a new game. I'm going to be bleary eyed before I can quit playing this game tonight, across three different platforms

The frame rate improvement is noticeable on both platforms, but it actually revives the XB1 version to playable status again. And the DOF off option gets rid of the false blurriness the XB1 patch introduced... it looks better than the original version now, by a significant margin. Yes, it's still 720p, but it's much easier on the eyes now... more importantly, it's not like playing underwater now.

This might be the best update I've seen since PGA Championship Golf 99's patch that introduced a real time, full screen "snap to lie" camera angle. I feel like I'm playing The Golf Club 2 to be totally honest!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've now downloaded and played both the XB1 and PS4 update versions of The Golf Club. They both are like playing new games! HBS is listening to us. Guess what is included in this update that we didn't expect? An option to turn off Depth of Field! It works fabulously in not only the looks - IMO - but also in frame rate! The new golfer camera is just killing it.... I swear - this is a new game. I'm going to be bleary eyed before I can quit playing this game tonight, across three different platforms

The frame rate improvement is noticeable on both platforms, but it actually revives the XB1 version to playable status again. And the DOF off option gets rid of the false blurriness the XB1 patch introduced... it looks better than the original version now, by a significant margin. Yes, it's still 720p, but it's much easier on the eyes now... more importantly, it's not like playing underwater now.

This might be the best update I've seen since PGA Championship Golf 99's patch that introduced a real time, full screen "snap to lie" camera angle. I feel like I'm playing The Golf Club 2 to be totally honest!

Neat, thanks for letting us know :) Gonna fire it up again tonight.

Neat, thanks for letting us know :) Gonna fire it up again tonight.

Prepare to be shocked and wondering why you aren't being charged for DLC when you do! Here's a little hint to help you get started and enable all the goodies:

Your first order of businesss should be to go into the Graphics menu, and set Follow Camera to "OFF". Then set your main swing camera to either #1 or #3 (I go with 3 because it's a little more intimate with the golfer, plus it gives you a better look at the hole, line, and your putterhead position while putting). And remember when you're playing the game... hit the "X" button ("A" button on the XB1 controller) to engage your follow camera at your choosing. I swear man... it is pure gaming bliss to have this option! ;D

Oh, I also turned off the aiming reticule and the ball trail. The way they've enhanced the definition of the ball in the PC version, I find that I don't need the ball trail to follow it most of the time.

Finally, if you select putting camera #2 in the Display menu, it will give you a reverse, low-angle look from the other side of the hole, looking back towards your golfer when you hit the "circle" button ("B" button on XB1). This is a fast and easy way to gauge the slope from the other side. Hit the button again, and you're back in your :"main swing" angle.

Note regarding Depth of Field in both the XB1 and PS4 versions: There is a bug in the menu for the DOF setting. It will change itself to "ON", after a round or a restart, even though it shows that it's still OFF in the menu. You have to click on "OFF" again, to actually turn it off. This might be why some of you are not seeing the benefit of it being OFF, it's showing that it's OFF, but it isn't really off.

I'm hoping HBS can apply a hot fix to repair this. Meanwhile, just remember to turn it off via the in-game settings menu every time you start a new round.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The difference in performance/FPS is really something. Well done devs. I need to try a user track that was previously almost unplayable due to the lag later.

The difference in performance/FPS is really something. Well done devs. I need to try a user track that was previously almost unplayable due to the lag later.

What's sad though is you have to wonder how many people are going to miss the news of what's happened with this game because they've already written it off based on the 'not ready for prime time' release version?

Chabbles

Have they done anything more to the putting ?. I was having trouble getting used to putting and then taking into consideration the different green speeds. Get used to putting on a medium speed and then go to a fast or slow green and everything goes out the window, alot of trial and error.

They need to atleast give course settings you can change before you start, let the player choose the green speed for whatever course they want to play.

Marco1

I'm finding performance better but this game when not in gameplay sends my ps4 fan crazy.
It must run with an unlocked frame rate when in the menus.

I'm finding performance better but this game when not in gameplay sends my ps4 fan crazy.
It must run with an unlocked frame rate when in the menus.

Yeah, I don't understand the need for the PS4 fan to run at that speed when in the main menu!? The performance in this update though is markedly better, but IMO, still has room for improvement. Even some of the new courses that have been created since the object limit was imposed, have moments where they chug.

Top Bottom