• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club release Aug. 19th on Xbox One and PC, PS4 later this month

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wait, you can't play your own courses in just a standard stroke play? You have to be in the built-in editor to experience it?

You can, but you cant play those offline. You can play your own courses either in the editor, or after loading it from the online course list. I favourited my own course, so I can easily find it again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You can, but you cant play those offline. You can play your own courses either in the editor, or after loading it from the online course list. I favourited my own course, so I can easily find it again.

Oh OK - that's not bad. I don't mind that since I'm always online with my systems. *phew* Had me worried for a moment!

T-0800

Really enjoying this game but today my PS4 crashed several times and was kicked out of the game and was met with an error report. I really hope this is fixed quickly. I also hope they improve the performance of the game as it's really not good enough at the moment.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Really enjoying this game but today my PS4 crashed several times and was kicked out of the game and was met with an error report. I really hope this is fixed quickly. I also hope they improve the performance of the game as it's really not good enough at the moment.
Not saying there aren't any issues because you guys obviously have some, but that side of things was perfectly fine for me so far.

Toma

How's remote play with this title? Seems like it would be a SUPER sick on Vita.

Didnt try it yet, but that reminds me, did anyone try my course over the weekend? :p

I'll try remote play if I remember it tonight.

chris121580

Didnt try it yet, but that reminds me, did anyone try my course over the weekend? :p

I'll try remote play if I remember it tonight.

What's the name of it? I'll check it out tonight. Haven't had a chance to mess with the course editor. Is it pretty user friendly?

Toma

What's the name of it? I'll check it out tonight. Haven't had a chance to mess with the course editor. Is it pretty user friendly?

Yes, the editor is amazing. Seriously. User friendly and you can still pretty much do anything with it. Especially, the random course creation is potent enough to serve infinite courses by just playing unadjusted random creation courses.

And my course is this one:
5Q71RGQ.png

No feedback yet, so I dont know what to improve or whether to make future courses, but the course is quite hard with a few tricky surprises.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll be playing your course sometime this week. PS4 is being picked up tomorrow, gotta play a shit ton of Destiny, and once I need a break, I'll be golfing. :)

Klocker

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/09/05/dev-diary-post-launch/

Hello Members, Old and New,
The Golf Club has now been officially released on all platforms and throughout the world, and I have to say as a team we’re extremely proud of the game. As a developer, when you get to the point of releasing your game it is common to be a little sick of it but we can’t get enough of it here. To boot up the game at the weekend and see the rest of the team out on the course was a great moment!
As seems to be the new trend throughout the industry at the moment, we did suffer some server issues on the first day of release back on August 19th. Prior to full release we carried out a succession of stress tests on our servers but nothing prepared us for the amount of hits the server received from the early eager members on the Xbox One. We were able to react pretty quickly, though, and a lot of the connection issues were ironed out within 24hrs. The plus side was that, thanks to the PC and Xbox One versions ploughing the furrow, when we released on PS4 here was already a fix in place.
Now that The Golf Club is on the virtual shelf, we want to give you an update of what we’re doing in the short-term and mid-term. The hard work hasn’t ended, it’s really only just begun and we are very excited about being able to continue to evolve and enhance the game over the coming months.

Xbox One

This is the version with which we have seen the most issues and, thus, we’ve been focusing most of our efforts on it over the last couple of weeks. The big issues were mainly down to some memory leaks that were not apparent in the development environment. Leaving the game running over a period of time caused most of the problems. A hard reset of the console would get rid of these but that certainly isn’t ideal.
The other two key issues that the PS4 and PC versions don’t suffer from are with frame rate and graphical fidelity. The latter really comes to the fore when a user has their Xbox One display resolution set at 1080 whilst the game runs at 720.
We’re close to finalising a patch for submission to Microsoft now, we’re just giving a good testing before we do, this will have the following key issues resolved or improved plus some other, more minor fixes:
•Memory Leaks Fixed (Course Saving Issues, Improved Frame Rate, Audio Issues)
•Terrain Sculpting issues (Less blocky)
•Front End Improvements (V-Sync Option)
•Golfer covering the putting info
•Too Many Friends issue (Having lots of Xbox Live friends would cause frame rate issues and connection issues)
•UI hesitation when network access is poor
With this going to Microsoft early next week, we’re hoping it’ll go live within 2 weeks.
Graphically we’re still working on improvements, but with the size of the area in view we really are putting a lot of pressure on the GPU. We can’t dictate what the player is seeing because, with the course editor, people could create anything. So to keep the frame rate high, we’ve needed to drop to 720p. We will continue to work on this though and slowly push to 900p and above. It’ll just take a bit of time.

PS4

We’ve already had a first patch out for the PS4, this seemed to stop the issues that the Xbox players were seeing. We have found a few crash issues though and we’re looking into them at the moment. Once they’re done we’ll put another build into Sony with those fixes and some of the minor issues that we’ve cleaned up day to day since release.

PC

An update went live last night boasting numerous improvements. The whole process of getting quick patches up is a lot easier on the PC and I’m hoping this patch has enhanced the experience for a lot of you. The biggest issue we’re seeing seems to be with Graphic Card temperatures at excessive resolutions. We’re still working on ironing this out completely. The big one being not actually giving people the option to crank the settings up to levels for PC’s that haven’t been invented yet. Bear with us, the work we do on this improves both the PC and console versions so it’s top of our list to sort out.

Mid-Term Plans

After these patches are out we’re going to be working on feature and enhancement updates
. We will be aiming for roughly a 6 to 8 week cycle for these over the autumn and winter (or Spring and Summer for those in the Southern Hemisphere). The reason for 6 weeks at a minimum is primarily due to first party submission times. We need to plan for a 3 week minimum submission time (submit / fail / fix / submit) for feature updates (pure bug fixes are a little quicker at 5 to 10 days) with 3 to 5 weeks of development time beforehand.
We’ve sat down and discussed where we want the game to go and what the community has a desire to see. Gameplay-wise we seem to be in good shape. Everyone has their own little gripe but the overall feedback is very positive on this side of things although he punch shot will certainly be improved. The big challenge is providing players with a a sense of progress and improvement which, in turn, creates a long term sense of achievement. Luckily for us, we already store everything we’ll ever need to improve this so we just need to surface it and create that world that will really give the game an extra dimension. We are going to be looking at a handicap system and a country club-style clan set up plus some extended player customisation. We’ll also be putting out a few new themes, such as a tropical one, improving the depth of commentary, adding a few more play modes, improved course editing tools and some special JCauthen cameras (as we call them here).
Over the weeks ahead I’ll be filling you in more with what the plans are but for now thanks for the feedback, together we’ve made a great, fun game that is only going to get better. Keep the suggestions and requests coming.
Anthony

chris121580

Yes, the editor is amazing. Seriously. User friendly and you can still pretty much do anything with it. Especially, the random course creation is potent enough to serve infinite courses by just playing unadjusted random creation courses.

5Q71RGQ.png

No feedback yet, so I dont know what to improve or whether to make future courses, but the course is quite hard with a few tricky surprises.
Dude your course is brutal. It kicked my ass. Those greens are tricky as hell and I couldn't land my shot on the island green on 4 to save my life

Toma

Dude your course is brutal. It kicked my ass. Those greens are tricky as hell and I couldn't land my shot on the island green on 4 to save my life

Yeah, I figured it kinda is. On my first try I had 3 holes at max hit count and overall 34 hits or something. I wanted it to be tricky and stuck to 9 holes to not overdo it, but I guess it kinda turned out a tad too mean overall.

I chose the highest difficulty in the random course creator and then manually edited the holes and adjusted all the greens to make it a bit more doable. Around some greens I added artificial hills, so the ball would go beyond the green if you managed to hit the ball there for example, but the island one was really mean, I need to admit. I did however increase the green size on that one to the 50% setting I think. Thought it looked kinda neat too.

If I make another one, I might look into making it less hard, but I figured there'd be plenty of "normal" courses out there with the course creator anyway, so I wanted that course to be a bit different.

Are you interested in replaying it to challenge the difficulty at one point or is it just too much? If its just too hard for anyone to care, I need to think of other ways.

chris121580

I'd be willing to replay it. It's pretty cool and I like the ideas you have. I created one tonight called Autumn Woods. You guys can feel free to give it a try. Love the editor and how easy it is to use. I could lose hours in it

Toma

I'd be willing to replay it. It's pretty cool and I like the ideas you have. I created one tonight called Autumn Woods. You guys can feel free to give it a try. Love the editor and how easy it is to use. I could lose hours in it

Cool thing, will check it out tomorrow!

dano1

A Sheep
This game a what golf is all about! You and the golf course and no power ups!! It's all about practice and skill(still need more skill)

And the course editer is awesome. I created,changed,added,tested and published a course in about 2 hours!!

Anyone up for a challenge (very hard ) and your going to fade and draw on 2 of the par 3's
But so rewarding if you land them!! I think my best score so far is +12

And on the 18th hole there is a special gallery waiting for you:)

Oh yeah. The course is called. The Guantlet by Dano. Good luck!!

Shaneus

The frame rate is not the greatest and there are some weird pop in issues when the camera pans, but personally I am pretty surprised at how much I like it. The mechanics feel just... perfect. Also, someone else mentioned it, but the "low key" presenter and overall minimalistic presentation indeed makes it feel very down to earth, similar to the old LINKS games.
This has been on my radar but I wasn't paying that close attention to it... but man, that's sold me on it. I've been hoping for something that wasn't OTT for ages.

Edit: This game has a course creator? Niiice. Cross platform or is it better I buy the version that has the most people on it? Would be either PS4 or PC here.

chris121580

I totally agree about the Links comparison. The version on the original Xbox is one of my favorite golf games of all time.

505zoom

I have a Mayflash WiiU Pro -> PC adaptor coming on Wednesday, planning on picking this up when it gets here. I burned a ridiculous amount of time on SimGolf back in the day... can't wait to check out the course editor.

Toma

This has been on my radar but I wasn't paying that close attention to it... but man, that's sold me on it. I've been hoping for something that wasn't OTT for ages.

Edit: This game has a course creator? Niiice. Cross platform or is it better I buy the version that has the most people on it? Would be either PS4 or PC here.

Out longer on PC, but even on PS4 there is already plenty of courses because of the mindboggingly great course creator, so i dont think it matters too much. This game and its corresponding community will have very long legs.

What is the most common platform on gaf for the game? PS4 here,

Is there an easy way to smooth out greens? They're ridiculously hilly when I use auto generate to make courses.

Also is there a way to unpublish a course? I accidentally made two with the same name (because it didn't look like the first one uploaded) and that bothers me.

Out longer on PC, but even on PS4 there is already plenty of courses because of the mindboggingly great course creator, so i dont think it matters too much. This game and its corresponding community will have very long legs.

What is the most common platform on gaf for the game? PS4 here,
Here as well.

Toma

Is there an easy way to smooth out greens? They're ridiculously hilly when I use auto generate to make courses.

I was trying to find that out as well, I was manually adjusting the height so far, which is a bit more tedious than it needs to be.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
PS4 (in 2.5 hours).

I feel like a total douche for saying this, but it frustrates me when the creator of the thread posts once and never again. As such, it's hard to keep the OP updated with info on GAF made courses, our favorite customs, and user lists.

Is it at ALL worth creating a new OT in the community side?

Toma

PS4 (in 2.5 hours).

I feel like a total douche for saying this, but it frustrates me when the creator of the thread posts once and never again. As such, it's hard to keep the OP updated with info on GAF made courses, our favorite customs, and user lists.

Is it at ALL worth creating a new OT in the community side?

This isnt even a proper OT, if someone feels like it, he could put some time into making a proper OT for the gaming side (not community).

I might do it, but I dont really have that much time to maintain threads atm.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This isnt even a proper OT, if someone feels like it, he could put some time into making a proper OT for the gaming side (not community).

I might do it, but I dont really have that much time to maintain threads atm.

Wouldn't it go in Gaming Community? Or can we get away with putting it on this side?

Whatever the case, I can put something together later in the week. I mean, I COULD post a quick thing now, but work my work PC has a pretty dumb firewall so I won't be able to add anything from the official site or anything.

Wouldn't it go in Gaming Community? Or can we get away with putting it on this side?

Whatever the case, I can put something together later in the week. I mean, I COULD post a quick thing now, but work my work PC has a pretty dumb firewall so I won't be able to add anything from the official site or anything.
As far as I know OTs always start off in Gaming. Mods usually move them to community after a while.

Toma

Played your course and ended up with +7 overall on my first try. The trickiest thing about your course is the uneven greens, but I didnt see much variety in the normal course layout. All the holes were pretty straightforward and mellow to hit until the green itself.

Its relaxing, but I would probably not replay it much myself since it seems pretty standard overall and cant be much differentiated from the stuff that the course generator puts put, especially because the non-green strokes are all rather simple. I'd replay it though if you or someone else beats my +7 there ;)

Gaming is fine since its an OT, and take your time with it. No need to hurry.

Toma

This game a what golf is all about! You and the golf course and no power ups!! It's all about practice and skill(still need more skill)

And the course editer is awesome. I created,changed,added,tested and published a course in about 2 hours!!

Anyone up for a challenge (very hard ) and your going to fade and draw on 2 of the par 3's
But so rewarding if you land them!! I think my best score so far is +12

And on the 18th hole there is a special gallery waiting for you:)

Oh yeah. The course is called. The Guantlet by Dano. Good luck!!

I liked your course very much! I rushed a bit through it because I was in a hurry so I got a super bad score, but the verticality, general course layout and curve balls were very challenging and interesting. The only issue is... that your course is lagging so badly because of all the elements you put on it :( I wish you had built that course with less buildings/animals/props to improve the FPS.

You might like my 9 hole course that I mentioned up above. Similar design ideas. (post 260)

Question from someone right on the edge of buying this:

Are your scores tracked for each individual course? As in, I download 5 user made courses, is there somewhere I can go look after a while and see all my historical scores for each of those courses?

I'm just reading these posts around about people shooting way over 100 and wouldn't mind if it affected my handicap if I could see that 2 particular courses keep kicking my butt.

I mainly just want to recreate my home course, that would be amazing.

Question from someone right on the edge of buying this:

Are your scores tracked for each individual course? As in, I download 5 user made courses, is there somewhere I can go look after a while and see all my historical scores for each of those courses?

I'm just reading these posts around about people shooting way over 100 and wouldn't mind if it affected my handicap if I could see that 2 particular courses keep kicking my butt.

I mainly just want to recreate my home course, that would be amazing.
I know every time you bring up a course, it shows you your past scores as well as the scores of your friends and random online people. I'm not sure how handicap figures into the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Alright, I'll put it up in Gaming at some point.

Game is bought and downloading/installing while I'm at work. Love that standby mode.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Double post with a few questions!

- Putting? Any tips? I can't seem to get a feel for how long to hold the stick back to get the power I want?

- Is there a way to see where your shot is projected to land as in Hot Shots or other golf titles?

5Q71RGQ.png

Just had a quick round of your course, ended up 1 shot off your record, which I don't think was too bad considering it was the most i've played since I got the game. I would say before trying this I had maybe taken about 10 shots!

Really liked some of the course but some of the greens are too hit or miss to really be skilful on, so I'd tame them down a little and leave it that a good player can get a good score.

Toma

Double post with a few questions!

- Putting? Any tips? I can't seem to get a feel for how long to hold the stick back to get the power I want?

That is mostly a matter of practice. See how far you can pull it back for 10-20-30 yards and then train those.

- Is there a way to see where your shot is projected to land as in Hot Shots or other golf titles?

Triangle shows the projected landing spot without any wind and if its perfect hit.

Just had a quick round of your course, ended up 1 shot off your record, which I don't think was too bad considering it was the most i've played since I got the game. I would say before trying this I had maybe taken about 10 shots!

Really liked some of the course but some of the greens are too hit or miss to really be skilful on, so I'd tame them down a little and leave it that a good player can get a good score.

Yeah, was more of a first try to see how certain ideas work out on a golf course, but I definitely would try to make the greens more doable next time.

dano1

A Sheep
I liked your course very much! I rushed a bit through it because I was in a hurry so I got a super bad score, but the verticality, general course layout and curve balls were very challenging and interesting. The only issue is... that your course is lagging so badly because of all the elements you put on it :( I wish you had built that course with less buildings/animals/props to improve the FPS.

You might like my 9 hole course that I mentioned up above. Similar design ideas. (post 260)

Thanks for the info. Yeah I probably overdid it with the animal show on the 18th!!
Haven't played your course yet but it's on my list of courses to play.

brerwolfe

Awwwww shit. I've been looking at this game for a while on steam and kept telling myself I'd buy it once it had a proper release. Just read through this entire thread and didn't see anything describing a deal breaker feature, think I'm gonna get it in the morning for ps4.

I kinda wish there was some kind of career mode. However, I played Hot Shots vita to death-- only kept coming back because of the daily tournaments. I broke my habit after 2 1/2 years because Mario Golf came out on the 3ds, but I stopped playing that one after a couple weeks. It's awful. Way too easy, boring.

The Golf Club sounds like it has great potential. No guarantee that they'll ever do a follow-up, but it's worth the risk if a small community gets behind it.

Look for me on there if you'd like to play with someone.

Psn: brerwolfe

Yeah, was more of a first try to see how certain ideas work out on a golf course, but I definitely would try to make the greens more doable next time.

TheGolfClub201409100.jpg

Just played a few more rounds and this game is starting to click, some of it still sometimes feels a little off, but really getting to like it and the fact it's a stripped back round of golf.

Shaneus

Was thinking about jumping in with you guys on PS4, but there's literally $20AU difference between the price on PS4 and Steam ($55 vs. $35). Will probably at some stage get it for PC, but unless there's a massive sale I certainly won't ever get it on PS4.

Was thinking about jumping in with you guys on PS4, but there's literally $20AU difference between the price on PS4 and Steam ($55 vs. $35). Will probably at some stage get it for PC, but unless there's a massive sale I certainly won't ever get it on PS4.

Being honest I can see this game hitting the sales, I think it's pretty good value for money as it stands, I think it was £27 in the UK. But I think I could easily see it being 50% off within 6 months.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow, things really started to come together yesterday! Can't wait to dig into some custom courses this weekend!

How does multiplayer work? My friend may buy it if we can play together...

Wow, things really started to come together yesterday! Can't wait to dig into some custom courses this weekend!

How does multiplayer work? My friend may buy it if we can play together...

I believe there is live multiplier and also Ghost, so you can choose which friends you wish to play against, it will then play out their game that they have previously had in tandem with your shots, so you can see how you are doing against them hole by hole.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I believe there is live multiplier and also Ghost, so you can choose which friends you wish to play against, it will then play out their game that they have previously had in tandem with your shots, so you can see how you are doing against them hole by hole.

Alright, thanks. So if I understand, we can both start up together and be in a chat room while playing the hole, but not have to sit and wait for each shot?

chris121580

Played your course and ended up with +7 overall on my first try. The trickiest thing about your course is the uneven greens, but I didnt see much variety in the normal course layout. All the holes were pretty straightforward and mellow to hit until the green itself.

Its relaxing, but I would probably not replay it much myself since it seems pretty standard overall and cant be much differentiated from the stuff that the course generator puts put, especially because the non-green strokes are all rather simple. I'd replay it though if you or someone else beats my +7 there ;)

Gaming is fine since its an OT, and take your time with it. No need to hurry.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm good with that since it's my first course. Once I have more time, I'm going to really dig into it and make a new unique course

Top Bottom