• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Place S2 |OT| Well, Fork Me - Thursdays 8:30/7:30c

shoelacer

Banned
Actually, from what we've seen, there is. When Eleanor was trying to do good things for the other residents so that she could stay we saw that her selfish motivation meant that she wasn't actually earning any points. She only started earning points after she gave up on staying. And I think Janet provided that tracker, so it would make sense for it to run on genuine Good Place rules.

Jason did wonder if they'd been abducted by aliens, and he was right about it being a prank show, so...

That's true, I was thinking about the part where MIchael explains it to all of the new residents and couldn't recall him saying anything about intentions, but they do spell it out pretty clearly later. I also totally forgot Janet gave her the tracker.

W-00

There's something I've been wondering about since the first season, but it really feels relevant now. How does time on Earth pass in relation to time in the afterlife? When Mindy died she got into the Medium Place based on what happened after her death, band ut that stuff obviously hadn't happened yet right when she died. Did she spend some time being tortured in the Bad Place before someone appealed and she doesn't remember because she was reset? Could the celestial bureaucracy somehow know what was going to happen (seems unlikely given that Michael says he can't predict the future)?

What about the main four? Their 802 resets must have taken years, If one of them decides to check in on things back on Earth, what will they see?

If Michael had been telling the truth about everyone in the neighborhood being perfectly matched, that would suggest to me that they kept the residents in some sort of suspended state until everyone who fit was dead. Maybe even until humanity itself was dead, so they could be sure of the full impacts of everyone's actions. But since that was just a lie I'm not sure we can gather anything from it.

big ander

There's something I've been wondering about since the first season, but it really feels relevant now. How does time on Earth pass in relation to time in the afterlife? When Mindy died she got into the Medium Place based on what happened after her death, band ut that stuff obviously hadn't happened yet right when she died. Did she spend some time being tortured in the Bad Place before someone appealed and she doesn't remember because she was reset? Could the celestial bureaucracy somehow know what was going to happen (seems unlikely given that Michael says he can't predict the future)?

What about the main four? Their 802 resets must have taken years, If one of them decides to check in on things back on Earth, what will they see?

If Michael had been telling the truth about everyone in the neighborhood being perfectly matched, that would suggest to me that they kept the residents in some sort of suspended state until everyone who fit was dead. Maybe even until humanity itself was dead, so they could be sure of the full impacts of everyone's actions. But since that was just a lie I'm not sure we can gather anything from it.
I don't have an answer or even a guess for this but Schur did provide an estimate for how long all the resets took:
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-good-place-twist-mike-schur-interview-team-cockroach-recap/
We figured that the events of S1 took somewhere around four months of “time.” (Michael then reboots them 801 more times, the longest lasting 11 months and the shortest being 8 seconds…we calculated that the median length was probably in that 4-month range, so the total length of all of the reboots is somewhere around 250-300 years.)
And I just noticed that Schur used quotes around "time." (The q&a was done over e-mail so that syntax is his.) Maybe that's a hint—time in the Good/Bad/Medium Places is in some way removed from Earth time, but people who were alive around the same time are grouped together?

caliph95

Michael claims he has powers but have we seen the demons use powers besides the use of technology, I guess the snapping of fingers could be it but he mentions sitting on the reboot button

I guess kicking the dog could count but that could be staged

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Michael claims he has powers but have we seen the demons use powers besides the use of technology, I guess the snapping of fingers could be it but he mentions sitting on the reboot button

I guess kicking the dog could count but that could be staged

After the first reboot when Tahani is given the tiny house he's shown removing the second floor with a snap of his fingers.

Those damn demonic millennials!

The build a real bear workshop was great. And Janette...Lordt.

"It's Chinese for Japan."

Well then, didn't think that would happen.

HoJu

I didn't like it. The four the characters all seem off, and Thank x Jason suuuuucks, and Elenors mom is a bad character. She's just the most selfish aspects of her without the self-awareness or charm. You could say that's the point, but she's also not funny so

The first season was great blend of a crazy plot with fun twists which never felt forced because we have no perception of an afterlife, so anything could be possible, while we constantly learned about the characters and watch their relationships and themselves grow and evolve.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I discovered this show this week and I just got done catching up. It’s amazing! It even made me get on board with a memory wipe, which is something I usually hate in fiction because it erases character development, but here it was used smartly.

I have to say I’m glad I found out about it 3 episodes into season 2 though, which is where the new setup became clear. Otherwise I’d just be worried about the whole memory wiping deal. But so far so good. I’m waiting for S02E04 to show up on Netflix BR.

bounchfx

ran into this on a whim yesterday on netflix, saw the actors and was like eh why not I'll give it a shot. was waaaay better than I expected. already up to episode 9, loving it.

I didn't like it. The four the characters all seem off, and Thank x Jason suuuuucks, and Elenors mom is a bad character. She's just the most selfish aspects of her without the self-awareness or charm. You could say that's the point, but she's also not funny so

Eh, I agree that Eleanor's mom is terrible, but I don't think the characters seem off. The end with Tahani/Jason could just be a one off thing as well. Although it seemed like Tahani was an 8 in bed. His whole dance rating scale was ridiculous.

Michael freaking out about death was great as well.

sammex

Janette... wowzers!

tumblr_oxqsl3FOYT1w7iej4o1_400.gif

Every episode feels so short.

NBC doesn't put episodes online until 5am Eastern, good to know.

Given apparently the "retirement" concept is completely unchanged since S1, I'm surprised Michael hasn't had this breakdown before. Even if he was only pretending he was about to die, the fact it could actually happen should have already been on his mind back then...

I like that I can't figure out if Michael is playing them or not.

The party torture on Tahani worked, and Michael having his crisis was torturous for Chidi & Eleanor as well. I can see Team Cockroach being another torture by the end of the season.

big ander

Yep not a fan of Tahani+Jason--even as a tangent on the way to Jason and Janet pairing up, which is definitely where they'll head. Just don't see what this relationship is going to add to the show.

Pretty good ep otherwise, Michael in his existential and midlife crises was funny and Eleanor had her usual handful of great lines. Velociraptor and the pants with one leg that are NOT a skirt.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mid life crisis Michael was great. Made the episode. And Janette. Wow.

DeathyBoy

Banned
NBC doesn't put episodes online until 5am Eastern, good to know.

Given apparently the "retirement" concept is completely unchanged since S1, I'm surprised Michael hasn't had this breakdown before. Even if he was only pretending he was about to die, the fact it could actually happen should have already been on his mind back then...

The difference is that before he was playing them, and now it could actually happen. So him realising it's not merely an abstract concept but something which can and will happen if he fails broke him.

In other words it's Chinese for Japanese!

Gotchaye

The difference is that before he was playing them, and now it could actually happen. So him realising it's not merely an abstract concept but something which can and will happen if he fails broke him.

In other words it's Chinese for Japanese!
I mean, he's been living with the daily threat of retirement for hundreds of years at this point, since he's been falsifying reports to his boss who threatened him with just that if his project ended up needing a second reboot. Fear of being tattled on by Vicky and then retired is why he appears to have completely abandoned his plan to torture the humans. It is really implausible that he was having a sincere reaction to realizing his own mortality in this episode (which is not to say that he wasn't, but it depends how much you trust the writers).

Pluto

I mean, he's been living with the daily threat of retirement for hundreds of years at this point, ...
True but we don't really know how he and the other demons perceive time, hundreds of years are not a long time when you potentially have eternity.
After hundreds of years Vicky's main problem was still not having a bigger part and Gunnar still wanted to bite and/or nibble people, it doesn't feel like a lot of time has passed for them, so maybe hundreds of years are to them what 3 days are to us. Michael was aware of the thread but still distracted by making his plan work so didn't have time to process what retirement actually meant.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I mean, he's been living with the daily threat of retirement for hundreds of years at this point, since he's been falsifying reports to his boss who threatened him with just that if his project ended up needing a second reboot. Fear of being tattled on by Vicky and then retired is why he appears to have completely abandoned his plan to torture the humans. It is really implausible that he was having a sincere reaction to realizing his own mortality in this episode (which is not to say that he wasn't, but it depends how much you trust the writers).

Very possibly.

I blame Danson. Dude nailed that existential breakdown/midlife crisis. But I wouldn't put it past the show to reveal it was a trick. Although the cool part there is we'd have no idea what Michael's endgame is.

Unless this is some Matrix within the Matrix shit.

Turns out Jason is the actual demon boss and made this stuff up to torture Michael.

I do expect some twist and this team up with Michael to be different from what it seems now.

Could be that he wasn't actually at real threat for retirement until he sided with the humans; he might've gotten demoted, or punished in some non-permanent way.

caliph95

Could be that he wasn't actually at real threat for retirement until he sided with the humans; he might've gotten demoted, or punished in some non-permanent way.
Didn't Shaun said he will be punished if he failed

More like he didn't stop to ponder it until Chidi told him too

LordRaptor

I quite like the idea that Michael (and Sartre) was actually right, and hell is other people.
Even though they know it, they can't help but fuck themselves over and make themselves miserable (because theres definitely going to be uncomfortable fallout over Tahani + Jason)

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
They don't make pants that are just one big pant leg for both your legs.

You mean a skirt?

No a huge fan of Jason and Tahani, but I also don't think it will last. I do like how Jason has some kernals of wisdom mixed in with his dumbness. The "be nicer to yourself" was good advice.

Jenga tower of sadness.

Taruranto

OK, I finally caught up with this. I'm almost glad I had forgotten it was airing because I got to watch the first 5 episodes in a row.

Man, episode 3 may be the single greatest piece of television ever.

The only complaint I have so far is that I'm not feeling any of the end-game couples, Eleanor has much more chemistry with Mean Giraffe (But I think at this point they are just going to tease and do nothing with it) and Jason and Janet belong together.

Also is episode 5 the first episode that doesn't end with some kind of cliffhanger?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is everyone treating the hour long opening episode as two? Trying to figure out which episode people are talking about.

It was 1 episode. The last one to air was episode 4.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, both NBC and Netflix list chapters 14 and 15 as a single episode. The latest one that aired was episode 4 of season 2.

StudioTan

Hm I dunno. It was definitely listed as 1 & 2 in my tv listings. At the start of the episode it was called Chapters 14 & 15.

No, it's 2 episodes, it even says Chapters 14 &15 on screen, the most recent episode is episode 5 or Chapter 18.

It may be 2 chapters but every online site has it as 1 episode including NBC.

big ander

It may be 2 chapters but every online site has it as 1 episode including NBC.

Not every site does say that though. From what I can find most actual TV listings have it as two episodes. e.g. Futon Critic, which is a site that just pulls official press releases and production numbers straight from the network. I get that it's listed as one episode on NBC's streaming site, but it counts as two in chapter numbers, and it counts as two of the thirteen in the season.

StudioTan

Not every site does say that though. From what I can find most actual TV listings have it as two episodes. e.g. Futon Critic, which is a site that just pulls official press releases and production numbers straight from the network. I get that it's listed as one episode on NBC's streaming site, but it counts as two in chapter numbers, and it counts as two of the thirteen in the season.

Ok, but in terms of his original question when people in this thread are talking about episode 4 it's the last one that aired as most places including NBC have it listed as such. We don't go by production numbers.

Top Bottom