• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest GPU of All Time: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

One of the best cards I've ever owned. Still getting used in my wife's PC to this day. It ranks ahead of the 8800 and the 2xx series in my books even though I thought those were amazing cards for their times. I miss the days where Nvidia offered actual value to the consumers.....

Last edited:

Zheph

Mine was solid af to be honest

The Best Goat GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I felt the price was high back then but compared to nowadays, it was a fucking deal

Considering the raster is around a 3060 and with 11 gb of memory? Ya, one hell of a deal. I upgraded last year, but peeps who don't should be good as long as they don't care about raytracing and dlss.

King Dazzar

Last flagship GPU I bought for keeps. And last GPU I bought at a fair price. Was a cracking 1080p card.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Considering the raster is around a 3060 and with 11 gb of memory? Ya, one hell of a deal. I upgraded last year, but peeps who don't should be good as long as they don't care about raytracing and dlss.
It’s sad how the performance gradually decreases. It used to go toe-to-toe with a 2080.

Fredrik

I have a Lightning Z packed away in a box. Is it worth it to swap out a 3070ti for a 1080ti in a Cubase and Unity PC? Then I can sell the 3070ti. Should be worth more money.
More VRAM is good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The 1080ti from Nvidias POV was literally too good of a GPU, to the point where it basically solved graphics for games at the time. It just blew through everything no problem. The price was also reasonable for the massive boost you got from it.

hence why they moved to gimmicks with the 2xxx series. I doubt they’ll ever make that mistake again, of providing too much performance at a reasonable price to make gamers happy.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The 1080ti from Nvidias POV was literally too good of a GPU, to the point where it basically solved graphics for games at the time. It just blew through everything no problem. The price was also reasonable for the massive boost you got from it.

hence why they moved to gimmicks with the 2xxx series. I doubt they’ll ever make that mistake again, of providing too much performance at a reasonable price to make gamers happy.
Yep, I moved from 980 to 1080Ti and it was such a great jump in just one generation, it was crazy. Heck, 11GB of VRAM was more than 3080 at release.

hinch7

The 1080Ti can still comfortably play a lot of todays games, which shows how great of a GPU it is and was. Pascal was just a brilliant architecture.

Still have my 1070 packed away in its box, as a backup or spare.

SABRE220

Thats a funny way of spelling the 8800gt. The best GPU launch ever in my opinion, it was nearly a 8800gtx in performance at 200$. It made everything else obsolete since its tech was groundbreaking and far ahead of the competition with unbeatable pricing. Looking back, I get sad seeing the transformation of Nvidia from the consumer's hero turning the the money-grubbing assholes of today.

Last edited:
Still rocking the 1080. Gives me 1440/60 in most games, recently Helldivers 2, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal and a few others. With some toned down settings of course.
I'll grab a 5080/90 when they release.
I have one also, I’d love to know how you’re getting 1440/60 in Helldivers. Mine doesn’t.

Leonidas

The fact that it can't really do RT, a year before RT arrived disqualifies it from being the greatest GPU of all time IMO.

Its probably the greatest of the raster era though.

Incredible card! I was fortunate enough to get the Asus Strix OC which was one of the better 1080Ti aftermarket cards out there. Given the longevity of that GPU it certainly has to be regarded as one of the greatest graphics cards of all time...

Others on that top tier list for me include the ATI Radeon 9700Pro (I owned one of these) and Nvidia 8800 series cards. Both offered insane performance at the time and absolutely crushed the competition.

Trogdor1123

there are a couple greats imo, the 9700 pro, the 6800gt, the 1650, and the 1080ti. All of those were pretty awesome units.

RickSanchez

When i bought it for MRP in 2017 i thought i was being extravagant in my spending. Little did i know it would serve me like an absolute beast for 6+ years, and deliver back its value many times over.

I was gutted to sell it last year, but i had to, to fund my new 4090. But daymn, did it give me some good times. Comfortably killed at 4K 60 fps in its first couple of years. Nailed God of War at 1440p high settings a couple of years ago. Last year it finally started showing its age.

Now it is making a new gamer very happy. Keep chugging on my old friend, i will never forget you.

Last edited:

Paasei

Mine sadly died a while ago. Got a RTX 3070 as replacement due to warranty and there not being a new 1080ti.

Top Bottom