• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest GPU of All Time: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

CashPrizes

My 1080GTX lasted from 2015-2023, I could have kept going with it too but I got a OLED TV that could do 120fps so I felt the need to upgrade to a 4090.
Even 5 years later, when I bought a PS5 in 2020, was hard to justify not buying multi-platform releases on PC, the 1080GTX was still that good. If I had a 1080TI I am sure it would not have been optimal to buy on the new consoles.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I only had a 1070 at the time and it was great. Pascal was a great generation for gamers.

But for the best GPU ever, that title would have to go for the 9700Pro or the 8800GTX.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who has 2x 980Ti's in SLI I skipped this gen and a few others (until I got my launch 3080) But my cousins both had this and yeah what a rock solid card.

Now with new technology hitting every gen I feel like these sort of cards you can get and it will last for 5+ years playing everything max all no issue, are essentially gone.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I moved from a amd 290 > 970 > 1080ti > 3080 > 4070 (4080 laptop)

I must say the GPU that lasted me the longest was 970, Specially for higher resolutions the 1080ti fell off quick once dlss and 3000 series started to pop up, for lower resolutions however 1080ti would be fine for most of the titles still to even this day.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Preach! I upgraded from a 1080ti to a 4090 this past December. The 1080 will sit on a shelf so that I can lovingly gaze at it from time to time. Such a workhorse of a card!

violence

I would likely still be using it if I didn’t really really want 4K 120 through HDMI.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Close but its the $160 GTX 260 during the 360 era.

Played every multi-platform @1080p 16xAF with Nvidia injected AO. For the entire gen.

Buggy Loop

greatest not longest living, the v2 changed pc gaming.

Things were moving too fast back then to call anything GOAT. Nvidia’s handicapped (lower clocks than expected) TNT was giving voodoo 2 a fair fight. TNT 2 and the following was just brutal.

GeForce 256 a year later late 1999 to define what we call nowadays GPU witch hardware T&L AND programmable shaders? It was over for 3dfx

Sorry, things moved too fast in 1998-2000. Like literally 2 years later 3Dfx was dissolved. Nothing in that era is worthy of GOAT imo. You could have cruised by with an ATI/Matrox or whatever obscure card and while you were blinking, all the industry changed.

Anyway, not trying to convince someone to change their GOAT as it’s a matter of opinion, but let’s agree to disagree

Last edited:
3rPajDG.jpg

You probably have Render Scale set to Native, drop it down one notch to "ultra quality".
Rending it 1440 native gives me 44-45 fps.
Ah ok I’ve done this. I get the same

It was an amazing card. I replaced it with a 3080 Ti and I like it less simply because the thing is effin huge and takes up 3 slots. The 1080 Ti was dual-slot and pretty compact, which was perfect for my SFF build.

acm2000

Things were moving too fast back then to call anything GOAT. Nvidia’s handicapped (lower clocks than expected) TNT was giving voodoo 2 a fair fight. TNT 2 and the following was just brutal.

GeForce 256 a year later late 1999 to define what we call nowadays GPU witch hardware T&L AND programmable shaders? It was over for 3dfx

Sorry, things moved too fast in 1998-2000. Like literally 2 years later 3Dfx was dissolved. Nothing in that era is worthy of GOAT imo. You could have cruised by with an ATI/Matrox or whatever obscure card and while you were blinking, all the industry changed.

Anyway, not trying to convince someone to change their GOAT as it’s a matter of opinion, but let’s agree to disagree
3dfx walked so nvidia could run.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I had a 1070 just because it was a ridiculous value but as time went on, I wish I had gotten the 1080Ti. Thanks for the thread. It’s a GPU worth this specific shoutout. One of the all time best drops. It’s the 2600k of GPUs.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My 2060 Super is basically a 1080 ti w/ less VRAM and RT Cores holding up nicely (don't care about 4k/8k)

Not sure if the 1080 Ti was really that impressive or things have just really stagnated since then prob both

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My 2060 Super is basically a 1080 ti w/ less VRAM and RT Cores holding up nicely (don't care about 4k/8k)

Not sure if the 1080 Ti was really that impressive or things have just really stagnated since then prob both
The closest thing we've had to a 1080 Ti is the current 4090. Like the 1080 Ti it's in a stratosphere all on it's own.

T8SC

942-500-0009-01.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Shout out to the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro too.

Last edited:

Sybrix

For me, my 1080 was almost a generational leap akin to 360 days.

The jump to what a 1080 could achieve was night and day from my GTX750 I think I had.

I upgraded last year to a 3080, awesome card but in terms of a generational leap, it’s doesn’t come close to the 1080.

SScorpio

For me, my 1080 was almost a generational leap akin to 360 days.

The jump to what a 1080 could achieve was night and day from my GTX750 I think I had.

I upgraded last year to a 3080, awesome card but in terms of a generational leap, it’s doesn’t come close to the 1080.
I had sli'd original Titans I upgraded to a 1080ti, and then a 3080ti as I got lucky with the EVGA launch during the drought.

Just remember we have only AMD to blame for not competing. Nvidia caught word of what AMD's next card could be and went crazy to beat it. Only for AMD to fail to deliver, and continue to fail to compete. Just like the cold war with Russia having fake plane designs, and the US actually designing aircraft that would beat the fake specs, and having something that was completely unrivaled.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

1080 Ti is about on par with the 2070S.

For me its the 9800 Pro. We used it for a long ass time. We first had an FX, returned it within the day to get this beast.
It's kind of why I mentioned the 8800, as I too had a 9800 and loved it at the time, but my understanding was that it was essentially a suped up 8800 and the 8800 was the standard for quite a while if memory servers my right.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
1080 Ti is about on par with the 2070S.

1080 Ti is tiny bit weaker but yeah considering that the 2060 Super is basically a 2070 that sounds about right I know from testing they are pretty close because the 2060 Super beats a 1080 non-ti

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yep, my niece is still happily using my 1080ti in the rig I built for her to play Fortnite.

I've barely fired up my 3090 these past few years but when I have, it's handled everything well enough.

Larxia

I'm still using my non Ti GTX 1080.
I'd like to upgrade but the current prices of GPUs are so insane... I can't accept paying over 1000$ for a XX80 GPU, these used to cost 500 :messenger_loudly_crying: And spending 700-900 for a 70 feels very weird too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I upgraded my 970 to this 1070 Ti. I had played Wolfenstein II on my 970 and that’s about as good as it would get. I wasn’t wanting to spend a fortune on a new GPU, but a coworker let me have his. I’ve been playing a lot more PC games and it feels good to have something that can play most games on minimum settings. I’m going to test RE4R and Rage 2 with it.

raduque

I missed the Pascal train. I had a 970m (laptop) till 2017, when I bought a PC with an RX580. 4gb card, so it's completely unusable now. I upgraded to an RTX2080 second hand a couple years ago.

I do have a 1080 now, but I bought a full rig second hand from a friend for my gf. 1080, 8700k, 32gb, z370.

Top Bottom