• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian's '23 best film directors in the world today'

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1oz

The Guardian has no love for Guillermo del Toro. He would would have been at the top on my list.

Glad to see they left out Tim Burton.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not one of the Three Caballeros (Del Toro, Inarritu, Cuaron) mentioned at all, weird.

So is this Dunham girl really getting a seat at the big people's table now? I saw half of Tiny Furniture before I couldn't take it anymore.

Joss Whedon!

cUajE.gif

linsivvi

I love Nolan and actually perhaps I would put him on this list... but Whedon, certainly not. Especially if you're going to refer to him as an auteur.

Personally, a list of 23 for me would look more like:

PTA
Scorsese
Tarantino
Herzog
W Anderson
Malick
von Trier
Coens
Lynch
Miyazaki
Wong Kar-Wai
Almodovar
del Toro
Haneke
Bong Joon-ho
Park Chan-wook
Nolan
Aronofsky
Dominik
Kaurismaki
Kim Ji-woon
Fincher

And despite me not liking much of their recent output, Spielberg and Cameron are obviously very good directors.

This is an awesome list.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Nothing riles gaf up like a super-shitty list!

Seriously, what a shitty list. Where the fuck are the Coens?

Himself

Apichatpong Weeresethakul deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Especially since his directing skills still appear to be on the ascent as opposed to many others (Lynch, Herzog, Scorsece) whose best days are obviously behind them.

Drive was a really bad movie. But it was better than anything Nolan has directed.

Yes. NO. Prestige >>> Drive. Memento > Drive. Inception > Drive.

Oh also, lol at JJ Abrams. People actually think that guy is talented? I liked Star Trek but he's incredibly overrated for some reason

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wow Paul Thomas Anderson did Punch-Drunk Love? That movie blew me away the first time I saw it. I think I'm due for another viewing. It's been years.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gareth Edwards

With Monsters, Edwards reinvented a genre – and did it on a minuscule budget. Naturally, the next project he signed up for was the mega-money reboot of Godzilla.

Are you fucking kidding me? Monsters was mediocre, the only thing notable about it was it was reasonably cheap, and thanks to being a genre movie, it got attention. And that's his only fucking movie.

Sorry, no one with only one film to their name should be on any list like this.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No Johnnie To or Wong Kar-Wai?

They both have movies coming out later this year...

Johnnie To is trash so no surprises there. Wong Kar-Wai should be on the list, there I agree with you.

Top-3 is pretty bold, I can support that, but the rest of the list is kinda random, plus not a single Asian? I haven't seen Kore-Eda's last couple, but I assume he's still a genius?

23 is such a weird number. Did they want to do 25 but couldn't stretch it out? Why not Asia?

I'd put Johnnie To in my top-23 living directors. He's got a very good visual style and his stories are always off beat, and unique takes on genre film. Whedon, Reitman, and Wright in the top-ten? LOL!

Krowley

I'm one of the biggest Whedon fans you could probably find, but the dude is mostly a writer and a TV producer. He's a better than average director, but to even consider him for a list like this he would have to be much more accomplished as a director. He needs time to prove himself as a director. Avengers is not enough. Not at all.

But that's not even a 10th of what is wrong with this list. It's just horrible in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom