• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guardian's '23 best film directors in the world today'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Banned
List is dumb as fuck, seeing joss wheaton there completely ruined any ounce of credibility they thought they had.

Cipherr

87% on rotten tomatoes is not divided opinions. Titanic got 88%. When 9 out of ten think it's good, that's not divided.

I repeat:

Cipherr said:
I think its long past time to stop pretending that some people weren't underwhelmed by TDKR. That quote is not the first, and it wont be the last person you see or hear say that they felt the movie was a step down from the second one. I can understand if you disagree, but its probably time to stop feigning surprise.

Get over it.

Nothing brings out the saltiness in people like Nolan, seriously seems to get peoples backs up that he's credited among the best directors working today. He deservedly has a place on this list because seemingly everyone has an opinion on him

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Nothing brings out the saltiness in people like Nolan, seriously seems to get peoples backs up that he's credited among the best directors working today. He deservedly has a place on this list because seemingly everyone has an opinion on him

Of course he's among the best directors, but Dark Knight Rises was a relatively poor effort considering the massive scale and ambition...

K-19

Banned
Drive was a really bad movie. But it was better than anything Nolan has directed.

Except Memento and TDK.

Their list sucks, there is a lot of talented directors who should be on this list, they certainly get paid. Guardian is now blacklisted in my ignore list.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm more shocked at the absence of populist auteurs like Peter Berg or Tony Gilroy.
I'm starting to worry that Gilroy had one brilliant moment in Michael Clayton, and it might never re-emerge. I know he's busy with Bourne so maybe he'll get back to that stuff eventually, but Duplicity did not ease my fears of that.

I'm surprised Spielberg isn't on there after the thirteen different articles they did on Tintin during its week of release. Odd omission from such a prestigious source.

effzee

Question:

Would there have been any LIST at all with the correct order that everyone would have agreed with?

Yeah thought so. So what is the point of arguing where such and such director landed? Its not a definitive list. It has no implications. Its one person/magazine's opinion. Of course everyone thinks differently.

Question:

Would there have been any LIST at all with the correct order that everyone would have agreed with?

Yeah thought so. So what is the point of arguing where such and such director landed? Its not a definitive list. It has no implications. Its one person/magazine's opinion. Of course everyone thinks differently.
Hello Joss.

effzee

Trying to disguise yourself with that Batman avatar. So sneaky

Well I usually stay out of these "list" threads be it movies or music but I never get them. In what world could anyone come up with any consensus? And usually the threads are complaints and rage over the 1-2 people left off or the order or what sucks.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Question:

I'm sure you could come up with a list where most people look at it and go "ok, I can see where they're coming from." That list would certainly not contain directors with only one film on their resume.

mattiewheels

Traffic was excellent. This list is very I dunno. Where's Wong Kar Wai?
Yeah, where IS Wong Kar-Wai? I've been waiting for him to do something great for too long, the sequel to In The Mood For Love was good, but you know what I mean.

Akahige

Gareth Edwards has only made one film and he's already one the best director? what?

He didn't reinvented anything, he's highly ambitious for achieving what he did at that budget but that's it

Steven Soderbergh is better than everyone on that list including gaf's love PTA.
iJ36W51HoH6lj.gif

Zia

Wong Kar-Wai's absence is kind of, "Whatever," as he hasn't directed a good film in nearly a decade, but a lack of directors like Haneke, Bela Tarr and Weerasethakul is flatly ignorant. And Lena Dunham had done a single decent film. This reads like a populist reaction to the Sight & Sound results. Armond White would be proud.

What an awful list. I have nothing against Whedon, but the fact he's in the top 5 takes any credibility away, at least it does for me.

It seems to be begging for hits.

Hasn't Bela Tarr stated The Turin Horse to be his final film?

Not that he's not wonderful, but that sort of implies him to not be an exciting auteur for the future or w/e.

Anyway, the list is by and large trash, though I'm happy to see Malick, Noe, and McQueen on there, and mystified by the inclusion of someone so relatively obscure and bizarre as Leos Carax in the rather bland company of the Whedons and Nolans of the world.
I would be okay with more people like Whedon and Nolan working in the industry, assuming there isn't an even better alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom