• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Orb wasted too much gold building Akatsuki. Also this whole Shinn/Lunamaria fling is ridiculous.

"Hey I just murdered your sister. I'm sorry, now give me those cheeks" -Shinn. Shoulder to cry on, dick to ride on was in full effect for that garbage.
Once she found out she couldn't be with Athrun her standards hit rock bottom.

Bombless

Orb wasted too much gold building Akatsuki. Also this whole Shinn/Lunamaria fling is ridiculous.

"Hey I just murdered your sister. I'm sorry, now give me those cheeks" -Shinn. Shoulder to cry on, dick to ride on was in full effect for that garbage.

Speaking of Akatsuki, how is the kit?

Also, Cagali's dumbification and Lunamaria's apparent insanity are some of the worst sins in Destiny. Our Lord and Saviour's Sister deserved better!

someone needs to make an Athrun savior avatar, better person to follow.

I'd wear it with pride.

Also watched a few more Turn A last night at the gym (riding the bike for an hour after being sick made me dizzy lol) I can't believe were 12 episodes in and there still has not been a real fight, but its kinda started getting serious. Very much enjoying it. Love the detail they put into that beam saber too!

Also Dianna / Kiheil match up, too good. Despite not much happening I really like how Turn A is going so far. I'm hooked at the moment.

casiopao

lol Getting all my friends to ride the AGE train with me.

Also, the AGE-1 MG is now my go-to recommendation for beginners looking to jump into the MG line.
It's such a wonderful build!
Except the shoulder pads which are wobbly and feel weak without extra support on the bar that gives it a hinge motion.

For how bad Age screw up in part 2 end and especially Kio arc, it is hundred times better than Destiny train wreck lol.

yami4ct

Speaking of Akatsuki, how is the kit?

Also, Cagali's dumbification and Lunamaria's apparent insanity are some of the worst sins in Destiny. Our Lord and Saviour's Sister deserved better!

Haven't built the official 1/100, but the Dragon Momoko 'MG' Akatsuki is a joy to build if you can get your hands on it. Just note that the finish is a bit sensitive but it looks great. Pretty much everything is undergated too.

Bombless

Haven't built the official 1/100, but the Dragon Momoko 'MG' Akatsuki is a joy to build if you can get your hands on it. Just not that the finish is a bit sensitive but it looks great. Pretty much everything is undergated too.

I've been looking at unboxings of the HG version and it looks damn good. For some reason I expected the gold to be shittier. I think I will add it to my "must get" list.

AGE 1 MG is indeed great, first MG I got after being away a few years and was surprised at how much had changed. The small grills being actual openings instead of just paint are great.

AGE 2 sadly isn't nearly as good.

And worst of all AGE 3 MG doesn't and probably will never exist...
I was just about to order AGE-2. What's wrong with it, anyways?
Yeah, forgot about AGE-3 and FX...

For how bad Age screw up in part 2 end and especially Kio arc, it is hundred times better than Destiny train wreck lol.
For sure. To be honest, kinda not hating AGE Part 3 as much after watching IBO Season 2. :/

I suppose Destiny being bad stings more for me because it could have and should have been much better. AGE for me just never rose beyond mediocrity. I've been a little hard on that show, but I suppose there are a few decent designs (AGE-1, AGE-2, Legilis).

Finished Destiny last night finally. A dumb show that I will not be revisiting in the future.

Positives:
-Kira not being as whiny
-Athrun. He did his best to carry this show. Him showing Shinn that he's his daddy was so fulfilling.
-All misery that befalls Shinn, cuz fuck Shinn.
-The mobile suits that they introduced were amazing. Had to stop myself from buying 3 kits this morning.

Negatives:
-SHINN. What a trash tier, bratty, annoying, poorly written, waste of budget character. I never anticipated that someone in Gundam would replace Riddhe as my most hated character in the series.
-The plot, it was sloppy at best. Everybody but Durandall is indecisive and has next to no idea what they really want to fight for.
-Cagalli. Whose idea was it to neuter her this badly in Destiny? She went from a character with potential, to a idealistic idiot until it was almost too late.
-I think I hated almost all the characters introduced in Destiny. The only ones I think I liked were Heine (he didn't overstay his welcome) and Meyrin.

Show was dumb for the most part, but I'm glad I finally got to see it and form my own opinion after hearing the slander for years.
Edit: How could I forget about the reused assets spam.

Finished Destiny last night finally. A dumb show that I will not be revisiting in the future.

Positives:
-Kira not being as whiny
-Athrun. He did his best to carry this show. Him showing Shinn that he's his daddy was so fulfilling.
-The mobile suits that they introduced were amazing. Had to stop myself from buying 3 kits this morning.

Negatives:
-SHINN. What a trash tier, bratty, annoying, poorly written, waste of budget character. I never anticipated that someone in Gundam would replace Riddhe as my most hated character in the series.
-The plot, it was sloppy at best. Everybody but Durandall is indecisive and has next to no idea what they really want to fight for.
-Cagalli. Whose idea was it to neuter her this badly in Destiny? She went from a character with potential, to a idealistic idiot until it was almost too late.
-I think I hated almost all the characters introduced in Destiny. The only ones I think I liked were Heine (he didn't overstay his welcome) and Meyrin.

Show was dumb for the most part, but I'm glad I finally got to see it and form my own opinion after hearing the slander for years.
Shinn is a half assed, poorly realized version of Kamille Bidan, just as much as Destiny is a half assed, poorly realized version of Zeta Gundam. Athrun trying to pull a "Quattro he is a Char" is hilarious.

Positives:
-Kira not being as whiny

Negatives:

I agree on all your points, and I think most anyone who has seen it would as well. At least it gave me Lunamaria's Gunner Zaku Warrior in EXVS.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I actually just rewatched Destiny recently haha. other than the soundtrack (which is absolutely incontestably superb) I think that it is possibly the most wasted potential of any Gundam show. It knows everything it wants to do and all the points it wants to hit, it just can't seem to ever find it's feet and execute it competently.

I think the opening premise is really, really strong. Orb's destruction in SEED was a big plot point but showing the real personal impact of that event on Shinn was a great idea. Sometimes in Gundam the combat and the action and the cool impacts and stuff make you forget the people who have their lives utterly destroyed by the "good" actions of our protagonists. And that further tied into the entire premise of Orb doing everything in their power to stop that ever occurring again, defying their principles and their honour and everything we as the audience say is "right".

But instead of showing the strong-headed, assertive, tomboyish Cagalli work within that framework and national trauma caused by her father's principles, they decide to utterly decimate her character and hand her the biggest idiot ball I have ever seen. Like seriously even if we ignore all the stupidity that came before it, the whole jumping into the battlefield and trying to talk Orb into stopping is seriously the stupidest thing I can imagine. AND THE SHOW KNOWS THIS! Athrun's exasperated cries for them to go back to Orb are echoed by the audience but the show refuses to make up an answer as to why they wont. And the problem is that it isn't an isolated incident, again and again the show sets up an interesting moral/emotional conundrum and then absolutely flubs it's way through it.

I am emotionally invested in the characters they built in SEED, the show is great at setting the mood with great music and lighting, and the main plot points are pretty well thought out (Stolen suits, Junius 7 colony drop, War restarts, Orb loses neutrality, etc.) but the actual storytelling is so bad most of the time that you can't help but get annoyed.

One thing to finish off is that I really like how SEED/Destiny treats the mental/emotional health of their characters. To often TV treats war and the actions in it as barely consequential other than death/injury. But with SEED you see Kira crying, getting mixed up with Flay, sleeping in his machine - all things done to specifically clue us into the impact that the battles are having on his mental health. In Destiny we have Shinn who mentally scarred by his experiences, and something I only caught in the rewatch is that I am pretty sure that Kira is depressed at the start of Destiny. People often take his reluctance to kill people as a super arrogance, but I think what they wanted was to show that the mental impact of killing people is so great on Kira that he simply can't do it. He locks the Freedom away and gives the keys to Lacus and has to practically beg her to let him fight again. Often fighting, being the hero and coming home alive is shown to be the absolute best but I think showing a character reluctant to fight and angry that it's all they are good at was well done with both Athrun and Kira.

I actually like this analysis. Thanks.

NEO0MJ

Positives:-The mobile suits that they introduced were amazing. Had to stop myself from buying 3 kits this morning.

Really? Which ones? I thought they were some of the weakest mobile suits ever introduced. They also somehow managed to make classics like the Zaku and Gouf ugly.

muteki

I was just about to order AGE-2. What's wrong with it, anyways?
Yeah, forgot about AGE-3 and FX...

For sure. To be honest, kinda not hating AGE Part 3 as much after watching IBO Season 2. :/

It has been a while but I remember a few sections of the main body being pretty flimsy. Nothing you couldn't fix with some extra effort, but not solid as a rock like AGE-1.

Its a bit apples and oranges though I guess since 2 is transformable, and everything that goes along with that.

casiopao

I suppose Destiny being bad stings more for me because it could have and should have been much better. AGE for me just never rose beyond mediocrity. I've been a little hard on that show, but I suppose there are a few decent designs (AGE-1, AGE-2, Legilis).

Destiny ruined my taste as it literally Kira Yamato pandering show lol. At least for how bad Age is, they never end up shoving some character into all the anime fans face lol.^^

Lol. For each person taste lol.^^ As i damn love IBO both first and second season.^^

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Really? Which ones? I thought they were some of the weakest mobile suits ever introduced. They also somehow managed to make classics like the Zaku and Gouf ugly.

The commander and captain zaku suits are legit awesome. I actually love Legend, Strike Freedom, and Infinite Justice. Savior is okay...

Heine's Gouf Ignited
Strike Freedom (the extra gold and DRAGOON make it better to me)
Destiny
Infinite Justice.

NEO0MJ

It's funny How in either case the show got hijacked by the old protagonists.

The commander and captain zaku suits are legit awesome. I actually love Legend, Strike Freedom, and Infinite Justice. Savior is okay...

Heine's Gouf Ignited
Destiny
Infinite Justice.

We'll have to disagree :p

Destiny Gundam looks good but not in its regular form. The Metal Build version is ace.
However I'm not a fan of Seed MS in general. The only one I'll say I really like is Assault Shroud Duel Gundam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love SEED mobile suits and Destiny has even better ones.

Some of the Gundams I'm mixed on, though I like most of them.

casiopao

It's funny How in either case the show got hijacked by the old protagonists.

We'll have to disagree :p

Destiny Gundam looks good but not in its regular form. The Metal Build version is ace.
However I'm not a fan of Seed MS in general. The only one I'll say I really like is Assault Shroud Duel Gundam.

The only suit i really loved from Seed series is Hyperion Gundam lol.^^ The rest....not really.T_T

I think there were like 3 women trying to strap into Athrun's Mobile Suit at the same time.

I mean, that is not like a new thing for Gundam series lol.^^ Scirocco literally love making girl horny for him lol.^^

Heine's Gouf Ignited
Destiny
Infinite Justice.

1451882173413.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nobody can forget Pimptimus-samas eternal libido and super effective Newtype pimp smack.

He convinced an otherwise good person to join the most evil group in Gundam history just because his pheromones were that strong.

He's unparalleled in this field and there are some otherwise strong contenders like Athrun and Char.

He convinced an otherwise good person to join the most evil group in Gundam history just because his pheromones were that strong.

He's unparalleled in this field and there are some otherwise strong contenders like Athrun and Char.
Not to mention nobody rocks a headband like Paptimus. You talking about Reccoa? Reccoa was messed up.

casiopao

Fucking Bishie charm on overdrive. Dude's one of my favorite Gundam villains for a reason.

And don't forget what makes Scirocco great there.^^

Not only he is the ultimate libido generator, he is also more powerful NT compared to Amuro or even Char. He also design tons of badass suits.^^

Messala, The O, Gabthley, Palace Athene and Titania all is superb designed suits.^^

And don't forget what makes Scirocco great there.^^

Not only he is the ultimate libido generator, he is also more powerful NT compared to Amuro or even Char. He also design tons of badass suits.^^

Messala, The O, Gabthley, Palace Athene and Titania all is superb designed suits.^^
Him and Kamille pushed mobile suit designs forward by a generation or two easily. Messala, Gabthley and The O are easily my favorites. From what I understand Char is considered a weak Newtype though. Char is nowhere on the levels of Paptimus, Haman, Kamille or Amuro. Just googled Titania, that shit is hot as fuck. I'm surprised they haven't done a P Bandai of the fucking thing yet.

casiopao

Him and Kamille pushed mobile suit designs forward by a generation or two easily. Messala, Gabthley and The O are easily my favorites. From what I understand Char is considered a weak Newtype though. Char is nowhere on the levels of Paptimus, Haman, Kamille or Amuro. Just googled Titania, that shit is hot as fuck. I'm surprised they haven't done a P Bandai of the fucking thing yet.

Yup. Those two totally push the concept of MS into MA for more mobile battle.^^ Both great pilot and NT too.^^

I think, if i am not mistaken, Amuro Ray is also not that strong as NT even though Char is even worst than him.^^

The most powerful NT is Judau, Haman, Kamille and Scirocco. The rest just pale compared to this four.

Yup. Those two totally push the concept of MS into MA for more mobile battle.^^ Both great pilot and NT too.^^

I think, if i am not mistaken, Amuro Ray is also not that strong as NT even though Char is even worst than him.^^

The most powerful NT is Judau, Haman, Kamille and Scirocco. The rest just pale compared to this four.
Makes sense. I think it's probably Kamille=Paptimus-Judau-Haman. I think I like Zeta so much cause of all the transformable suits. ZZ went back to more traditional suits and for some reason I just saw that as a downgrade.

casiopao

Makes sense. I think it's probably Kamille=Paptimus-Judau-Haman. I think I like Zeta so much cause of all the transformable suits. ZZ went back to more traditional suits and for some reason I just saw that as a downgrade.

I like ZZ more as i am more of a Zeek's guy lol.^^ Qubeley series alone make ZZ suits win the list for me.^^

Thats not counting Quinn Mantha and Doven Wolf too.^^

I like ZZ more as i am more of a Zeek's guy lol.^^ Qubeley series alone make ZZ suits win the list for me.^^

Thats not counting Quinn Mantha and Doven Wolf too.^^
I think I find them needlessly beefy in ZZ. I know you and Beth like that, but I need more balance in the beefiness. Sazabi is sexy beefy though.

casiopao

I think I find them needlessly beefy in ZZ. I know you and Beth like that, but I need more balance in the beefiness. Sazabi is sexy beefy though.

Considering u don't really like Beefy suit, i can see that u would love Sinanju and Sazabi while hating Nightingale there lol.^^

Considering u don't really like Beefy suit, i can see that u would love Sinanju and Sazabi while hating Nightingale there lol.^^
My problem with the Nightingale is that stylistically it doesn't make much sense. They went for a monster aesthetic while looking at it from a combat perspective it just seems too busy.

casiopao

My problem with the Nightingale is that stylistically it doesn't make much sense. They went for a monster aesthetic while looking at it from a combat perspective it just seems too busy.

I love Nightingale as it feel like The O2 space evolution.^^ Such monstrosity with tons of thrusters too make sure it can speed around the space as it liked.^^Also it suits Char love for mobility focus MS.^^

I love Nightingale as it feel like The O2 space evolution.^^ Such monstrosity with tons of thrusters too make sure it can speed around the space as it liked.^^Also it suits Char love for mobility focus MS.^^
I get why, just wish it didn't look like a Weapon boss from Final Fantasy VII, which is weird cause I like the Neu Ziel for that exact reason.

casiopao

I get why, just wish it didn't look like a Weapon boss from Final Fantasy VII, which is weird cause I like the Neu Ziel for that exact reason.

I think the biggest problem for me about Nightingale is simply that it is shaped totally as an MA but it lack that MA fortress class weapon. Nightingale weaponry in the end is just above MS class but still behind MA class like Neo Zeong.

It is like stuck in the middle of limbo lol.^^

I think the biggest problem for me about Nightingale is simply that it is shaped totally as an MA but it lack that MA fortress class weapon. Nightingale weaponry in the end is just above MS class but still behind MA class like Neo Zeong.

It is like stuck in the middle of limbo lol.^^
There is no super laser?

Paltheos

Huh, I'd never made the connection before, but the designs are really similar. A quick google search turned up that this is a p. old idea too although technically speaking it would be the FF7 Weapon designs resembling Gundam designs, and the whole topic got me to thinking if there's an older design archetype the mobile suits themselves are based.

Just FYI, my googling found Ruby resembles the Hygogg, Diamond the Qubeley, and yeah Emerald heavily the Neu Ziel. No images because I'm not on my PC.

Huh, I'd never made the connection before, but the designs are really similar. A quick google search turned up that this is a p. old idea too although technically speaking it would be the FF7 Weapon designs resembling Gundam designs, and the whole topic got me to thinking if there's an older design archetype the mobile suits themselves are based.

Just FYI, my googling found Ruby resembles the Hygogg, Diamond the Qubeley, and yeah Emerald heavily the Neu Ziel. No images because I'm not on my PC.
For some odd reason I never thought of the Qubeley when I saw the Diamond Weapon, but yeah it makes a lot of sense on that one.

Top Bottom