• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

It's funny How in either case the show got hijacked by the old protagonists.

That's one of my main problems with the show. Would've been much better off if it was more like Zeta in that regard.

There are plenty of designs I like from it...Strike Freedom has grown on me, and there's also Sword Impulse, Destiny, Savior and Akatsuki.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm on the eighth episode of my Unicorn rewatch. I'm rolling with the TV recut (0096) this time around. I'm enjoying it so far. I seem to remember liking it less as it goes on, so we'll see how things run this time around!

That's one of my main problems with the show. Would've been much better off if it was more like Zeta in that regard.

There are plenty of designs I like from it...Strike Freedom has grown on me, and there's also Sword Impulse, Destiny, Savior and Akatsuki.
Kamille was strong enough as a character to stand on his own two feet with guidance from the last protags. Shinn...Shinn's legs were busted.

Watched a bit more Turn-A (instead of playing Injustice!) finally got the first real fights in the show. Man, Loran popping the beam saber and cutting through the WaDom's head was like "holy balls late 90s anime high budget explosions are the shit!"

Dianna might be added to my list of awesome Gundam ladies if she continues like this as well. Also, holy crap Zaku's!

Ensign Poe needs to die though, really don't like this lady. "Who do you think you are talking to Lieutenant!?" me: "uh... a lower ranked soldier you poorly written line having lady" Or "the lieutenant does not think things through hes so unreasonable!" me: "uhhh arn't you the one who started this whole war because you shot into civilians out of nowhere, and keep running in using excessive force for no reason, but this is gundam so I'm afraid it might get called "lady problems" later down the line"

Really enjoying all of it though.

Watched a bit more Turn-A (instead of playing Injustice!) finally got the first real fights in the show. Man, Loran popping the beam saber and cutting through the WaDom's head was like "holy balls late 90s anime high budget explosions are the shit!"

Dianna might be added to my list of awesome Gundam ladies if she continues like this as well. Also, holy crap Zaku's!
Dianna is great don't worry.

NEO0MJ

Kamille was strong enough as a character to stand on his own two feet with guidance from the last protags. Shinn...Shinn's legs were busted.

Usually the protag goes through a life changing experience in the mid point that makes them a better person but in Seed Shinn became even dumber. I don't hold it against him too much though because I feel the writers wanted to see Kira more.

Usually the protag goes through a life changing experience in the mid point that makes them a better person but in Seed Shinn became even dumber. I don't hold it against him too much though because I feel the writers wanted to see Kira more.
Shinn grew, but he just kept growing into a bigger douche bag as the show went on.

casiopao

Most of Tomino MC actually really show a great character growth even for how strange the character flow lol.

Hell, the biggest character growth which i loved the most in gundam series mc will probably be Uso. So much despair and pain and yet he is still able to come out with hope.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most of Tomino MC actually really show a great character growth even for how strange the character flow lol.

Hell, the biggest character growth which i loved the most in gundam series mc will probably be Uso. So much despair and pain and yet he is still able to come out with hope.

When the protagonist is like six years old he better damn well have some character growth!

When the protagonist is like six years old he better damn well have some character growth!
Uso grew up to fight the babysitter that he most likely jacked it to a few times.

I think most of Tomino's characters make some semblance of sense though. Shinn didn't have much of an arc and whatever arc he was on he didn't land on it till a SRW game wrote one for him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shinn wants Orb to pay because his family died. Not the Federation, who attacked Orb. Not even Blue Cosmos, who were the power behind the throne. That's his goal. Get revenge. On the people who didn't kill his parents and sister. He doesn't even notice when they do get the people behind the attack on Orb. Because he is dumb.

I just wrote all that making him seem like an unlikable idiot. Which is true. However I love the little bastard. Watching him win so often yet always fail in the end to seal the deal. Watching him get his ass kicked in the finale...and yes, watching him learn what a complete tool bag he was in the epilogue.

Anyone here played Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn? Got the musou itch after finishing Fate/EXTELLA and realized I never got Reborn.

I've played DWG 1 and 3 before, is it much different?

Anyone here played Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn? Got the musou itch after finishing Fate/EXTELLA and realized I never got Reborn.

I've played DWG 1 and 3 before, is it much different?

I've been playing it off and on since I got my vita a year ago lol. It's ok.

Definitely does not have the solid visuals as 3, but it retains its faster gameplay. Bigger maps than 3 as well, sorta. Suit variety is there as well. I don't think its as good as 3 which only flaw was the limited and tiny maps, but its got enough content, especially for gundam fans. Not much special about it sadly, but getting to roll around in a larger variety of gundams is fine.

Also lol'd at them removing the ZZ story mode, while adding Seed and Destiny.

I've been playing it off and on since I got my vita a year ago lol. It's ok.

Definitely does not have the solid visuals as 3, but it retains its faster gameplay. Bigger maps than 3 as well, sorta. Suit variety is there as well. I don't think its as good as 3 which only flaw was the limited and tiny maps, but its got enough content, especially for gundam fans. Not much special about it sadly, but getting to roll around in a larger variety of gundams is fine.

Also lol'd at them removing the ZZ story mode, while adding Seed and Destiny.

Doesn't sound too bad. Guess I'll dust off my PS3 then.

Geez, it's still $40 on PSN after all this time. And the complete DLC bundle is $30. Guess I can get the DLC in a few weeks.

Shinn wants Orb to pay because his family died. Not the Federation, who attacked Orb. Not even Blue Cosmos, who were the power behind the throne. That's his goal. Get revenge. On the people who didn't kill his parents and sister. He doesn't even notice when they do get the people behind the attack on Orb. Because he is dumb.

I just wrote all that making him seem like an unlikable idiot. Which is true. However I love the little bastard. Watching him win so often yet always fail in the end to seal the deal. Watching him get his ass kicked in the finale...and yes, watching him learn what a complete tool bag he was in the epilogue.
Shinn spent most the damn show clinging to his dead sisters phone. The lack of logic in him is overwhelming.

Bandai need to make me happy by making gundam zz a new translation here.

If you're talking about something like Zeta: A New Translation...then I don't know. They would have to do a much better job of integrating any new footage in with the old, for starters and try to resist doing too much (or any) retconning.

I'm on the eighth episode of my Unicorn rewatch. I'm rolling with the TV recut (0096) this time around. I'm enjoying it so far. I seem to remember liking it less as it goes on, so we'll see how things run this time around!

Fuck Riddhe.

Maybe that's why? :p

Anyway, as a Gunpla noob, I need some advice on nub removal. I've just been using my x-acto knife to trim off what I can, but I'm guessing it's probably better to sand them down. I'm totally new to that, so what should I get to start out with in terms of sanding sticks or sandpaper? Any tutorials out there that anyone would specifically recommend?

Bombless

Anyway, as a Gunpla noob, I need some advice on nub removal. I've just been using my x-acto knife to trim off what I can, but I'm guessing it's probably better to sand them down. I'm totally new to that, so what should I get to start out with in terms of sanding sticks or sandpaper? Any tutorials out there that anyone would specifically recommend?

What I did was cut most of the nub with the knife and then sand the area with an unknown grit sandstick i had from an old Revell beginner's tools kit, lol. Seemed to work okay. As for tutorials I follow this guy, Zakuaurelius.

Paltheos

I make my own sanding sticks. Buy small sheets of sandpaper - I have 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit on hand - And craft sticks (popsicle size). Cut the the sandpaper around the contours of the stick, glue it on, label the sticks by grit, and there you go.

What I did was cut most of the nub with the knife and then sand the area with an unknown grit sandstick i had from an old Revell beginner's tools kit, lol. Seemed to work okay. As for tutorials I follow this guy, Zakuaurelius.

I make my own sanding sticks. Buy small sheets of sandpaper - I have 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit on hand - And craft sticks (popsicle size). Cut the the sandpaper around the contours of the stick, glue it on, label the sticks by grit, and there you go.

Ah, thank you both!

Bombless

Anyone here from London or surroundings? Donkey, you're in the UK right?

I'll be in London for HyperJapan in July and I have a day to go around and I was wondering if there was a good gunpla store to hit.

Working on an SD 00 Gundam right now (my fourth build overall). I thought this would be a cakewalk, and while it's not difficult by any stretch I think I did underestimate this kit's complexity. Just in terms of how many parts there are. One thing I find really annoying about it is how prominent the stickers are on it. I'm still not particularly good with any that have to wrap around a fin or something...I have a really hard time keeping my hands steady enough.

Eh, fuck it, let's go.

Ui462Fe.jpg

Next time I get paid I have a (non-Gundam) pre-order to pay for so I won't be getting any more kits until the mid-to-end of June (long wait for Strike Ver. RM). So I might as well get both of these now.

Here's a hint: It's a
Soul of Chogokin.
And also my birthday gift to myself lol.

Eh, fuck it, let's go.

Ui462Fe.jpg

Next time I get paid I have a (non-Gundam) pre-order to pay for so I won't be getting any more kits until the mid-to-end of June (long wait for Strike Ver. RM). So I might as well get both of these now.

Here's a hint: It's a
Soul of Chogokin.
And also my birthday gift to myself lol.

If it's that
Mazinger Zero
, then I'm officially jealous. I'm thinking my wife wouldn't let me get away with that lol (maybe at Otakon though...). And happy birthday whenever that happens to be!

I suppose I'll stop trying to guess...but I still want that Mazinger. The only other Soul of Chogokin figures I have are the Gunbuster and Eva-01 ANIMA version. I really like the latter especially. I also used to buy a number of the Robot Damashii Gundam figures, but that ended up getting too expensive.

I suppose I'll stop trying to guess...but I still want that Mazinger. The only other Soul of Chogokin figures I have are the Gunbuster and Eva-01 ANIMA version. I really like the latter especially. I also used to buy a number of the Robot Damashii Gundam figures, but that ended up getting too expensive.

Megazord/Daizyujin

EDIT: Well...found the HG Extreme Gundam today. And the Mr. Hobby Super Tool Set. This is why I'm always broke :/

EDIT 2: So that Nozomi/Rightstuf panel. Think this is the only new Gundam-related thing. If you bought their DVD release of it they're offering a trade-in program.

Double post but here's the HG Extreme. Only took two hours.

tIyQRkd.jpg

Also, I know this is from 2011, but the whole "single blue piece hand + beam saber" is lazy af. Especially when it was on the same damn runner as the clear blue parts.

It's not very posable from the waist down, but I think it looks pretty cool. Yes, even the guitar rifle.

Double post but here's the HG Extreme. Only took two hours.

tIyQRkd.jpg

Also, I know this is from 2011, but the whole "single blue piece hand + beam saber" is lazy af. Especially when it was on the same damn runner as the clear blue parts.

It's not very posable from the waist down, but I think it looks pretty cool. Yes, even the guitar rifle.
Why does this thing not piloted by Neki Basara have a guitar rifle?

Bombless

Good god, I haven't been able to find Tamiya Panel Line Black ANYWHERE in town. And online everyone is trying to sell it for 20€ each or 75€ for the Black/Brown/Grey pack. What the hell.

I've tried to panel line my HG Aile Striker with Panel Line Grey but it doesn't show up that well, it's way too subtle. Going on vacation for a week now so I'll get back to it with some thinned black after I return.

I'm kinda also starting to regret buying the HG version, the articulation is kinda meh. I'm beginning to think I'll be much happier with the RG versions instead.

Menthuss

Uuuuuuugh. I might have to give up on my Red Frame Kai. I found out the hard way that painting parts that consist of multiple smaller parts and are movable should all be painted separately. I tried priming and painting the frame of the hand along with the fingers in one go but the paint caused the parts to stick together so well that moving the fingers caused the protrusions that hold the fingers in place to snap off.

Painted my first ever Gundam Model today, well, specifically the base for the F91. I hated how detail-less the base is, so I figured it'd make good practice for the White Ogre MG I'll be painting sometime this summer.

It went... okay I guess for my first time. Waiting for it to dry to see how badly it perhaps needs a second coat of paint. At least I have some idea of what it'll be like to paint the White Ogre, and with that one I can paint it in separate parts rather than all one mold.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
So recently I started watching the original MBS series and it got me back into model kits. Back then, my experience with building kits were pretty basic, just straight builds with sticker application. I wanted to get back into the hobby so I had a friend nab a few mg kits from tokyo during their vacation trip. I also got a marker for panel lining. Before last year I only had 2 mg kits (RX-78 2.0 and a Guntank) and they are pretty beat up being at least 4 years old.

So for the new kits, I decided to get all Zeon kits (some of which are pretty old). All of them are already build just last week but I have yet to sand them, apply decals and top coat them. Forgive the bad phone quality photos, I may use a real camera once I finish up these guys.

Chars Zaku MK-II 2.0 said:
Zaku MK-II 2.0 said:
Dom said:
Acguy said:

It's been a great series of build and once I'm done with these guys I want to get more later this year. Any UC MG set recommendations? I'm may as well look into some of the other Zeon suits.

Llyranor

EDIT 2: So that Nozomi/Rightstuf panel. Think this is the only new Gundam-related thing. If you bought their DVD release of it they're offering a trade-in program.
I know fans mostly just say to watch the series, but it felt too long to me (especially because so much time was spent on developing characters I didn't even like). In that sense, faster pacing with new bonus mecha animation could work for that. Is A New Translation that bad? Also, how well does it transition to CCA?

I haven't seen Gundam X in years, not since High School when some senior had bootlegs ripped on an ftp server for people to DL. I also only ever saw 8 episodes. Generally the first episode was a ton of fun, far better than Gundam Wing in my opinion. Though I do find it hilarious that everyone has such immaculate clothes for what's supposedly a post-apocalyptic world. I also love all the 'off-brand mechs' we get in the opening credits.

I know fans mostly just say to watch the series, but it felt too long to me (especially because so much time was spent on developing characters I didn't even like). In that sense, faster pacing with new bonus mecha animation could work for that. Is A New Translation that bad? Also, how well does it transition to CCA?

As someone who doesn't think Zeta Gundam is all that great to begin with (Good ideas, poor execution) I think the New Translation movies are generally good. The biggest issues are, as I understand it:
1. The new animation, while utilizing a retro style to 'fit in' with the older 80s animation, don't really succeed. The new animation looks amazing, but sits jarring with the original work.
2. The ending for the third film has been changed, altering what a lot of fans feel is one of the best aspects of Zeta. This change, without spoiling too much, erases the need for Double Zeta's events. Considering though there's a huge gap between ZZ and CCA, and Char underwent a pretty major character shift between the two anyway, CCA could probably still happen? I guess, no matter what it does seemingly erase ZZ from the timeline and is generally considered non-canon.
3. In the effort to cram the series down from 50 episodes to 3 90 minute films, the past is exceedingly fast, certain characters and plot lines are shafted for screen time, etc.

I personally don't feel like 1 is an issue. 2 I have mixed feelings on. As I don't really think ZZ is that good (save for a laugh) I don't mind the ending change, although I do agree it erases one of the more interesting ideas Zeta offered up.

3 I kinda agree with, at least with pacing. The films move at a crazy clip with almost zero down time between fighting and talking. Dialogue is constantly going, with no breaks besides battles and even then most people are motor mouths still. As far as cutting plot lines go I actually feel like the best stuff was kept and if you weren't taking to the original, you probably won't be bothered by what's missing. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

I think its pretty well accepted that 95% of ZZ events were retconned. Save the Puru clones, Haman, and Glemy existing at that time, and some of the design advancements for certain units. They never mention the events of ZZ's crews or the existence of that Gundam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think its pretty well accepted that 95% of ZZ events were retconned. Save the Puru clones, Haman, and Glemy existing at that time, and some of the design advancements for certain units. They never mention the events of ZZ's crews or the existence of that Gundam.

ZZ is the ugliest Gundam until the Unicron came out so that makes sense to me!

RangerBAD

If you plan to watch ZZ, don't watch the Z movies. If you skip ZZ, you could probably get enough out of the movies to watch CCA afterward. I'd recommend watching Z series and ZZ.

Top Bottom