• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

I haven't built it myself, but I've seen numerous builds of it. The 2.0 Zaku is a good starter MG. Looks nice just out of box and is decently simple, but still seems fun. Just be careful with the power cables as it's easy to lose all those little plastic beads that make them off and I think take time with the headfin. I believe that fin can have a nasty nub mark if you aren't a tad bit aware with it. Other than that have fun. Here's a reddit post that might help with the cables https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/5mk9pr/wip_mg_zaku_20_cable_tips/
I did one side of the torso tubes before seeing this and that sucked lol. Even after I used a microfiber t still was a bit annoying lol.

But, I do like the scale of the kit so far. Compared to 1/144 scale the pieces are a lot bigger which is better for my hands.

508w16f3cjdz.jpg

Build Fighters Battlogue Ep 1 is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ihIVEB3LY

Saudades

That was actually pretty awesome. Closest thing to a
Char x Amuro rematch we're ever gonna get. I'd be happy with just the VA reunion, but they actually bought Amuro back too lol. And Lalah.

And dat teaser. TRYON-3 RETURN?

That was SO GOOD.
Oh my gosh, I can't wait for more of these. Also, that Ballistic pack is going to be so useful.

I wanna see Judau vs. Full Frontal~

yami4ct

Eh, that ONA didn't do much for me. Nicely animated, but the new BF suits are too silly for me (like the vast majority of BF stuff) and the pure fan service of the 'story' also isn't my cup of tea. Not to mention no Ikeda spoils like 60% of that fan service anyway.

At least it's great confirmation that Amuro's VA can still do the voice if (and hopefully more like when) they adapt the OYW part of the origin. Now that's some fan service I can get behind.

That was awesome! Guess they finally realized/remembered what made Build Fighters popular to begin with: blatant fanservice.

The VA joke slew me. And Reversible Gundam is definitely going to be bought.

I never realized
Amuro
and
Ribbons
have the same va until this ep!

Oh yeah. The fact that Ribbons pilots
O Gundam in the RX-78 colors
in the last episode of 00 made it that much better.

That OVA was great. It was a shame they could not get Ikeda to voice Char but I really loved the inside joke of Amuro and Ribbons having the same VA. Any Amuro and Char battles in any medium of Gundam are always the best. The #1 rivalry in all of anime period. Looking forward to further episodes and GM counterattack at the end of the month.

Not Gundam related, but does anyone have experience with the Frame Arms kits?

Store I go to had the LX-00 Ray Falx in. It looks sick af but I'm just curious what the consensus is.

So they announced the MG Sandrock EW version a few ddays ago and put it on P-bandai. As well as reissuing all the other Wing MG EW suits. Just ordered my Altron instantlay but ive been drinking a lot today so hopefully I filled it out ok haha. Can also do an all in one!

20170803_hbewcp_header_mv.jpg

firelogic

Gundam Build Fighters Battlogue made me tear up...so much awesome!

Edit: Amuro vs Kira vs Kamille vs Uso vs Setsuna vs Garrod vs Domon vs Heero battle royale. Give it to me!

NEO0MJ

Not Gundam related, but does anyone have experience with the Frame Arms kits?

Store I go to had the LX-00 Ray Falx in. It looks sick af but I'm just curious what the consensus is.

Not Frame Arms but I have built some Koto ktis and they're pretty good. While not on the level of Bandai, especially when it comes to Koto's old kits, they still made huge strides based on the Z Knight I built last year and when it comes to putting details I actually put them above Bandai.
If you like the design I don't think you'll regret it.

Olengie

That OVA was great. It was a shame they could not get Ikeda to voice Char but I really loved the inside joke of Amuro and Ribbons having the same VA. Any Amuro and Char battles in any medium of Gundam are always the best. The #1 rivalry in all of anime period. Looking forward to further episodes and GM counterattack at the end of the month.

Char was voiced by the True Char.

Not Frame Arms but I have built some Koto ktis and they're pretty good. While not on the level of Bandai, especially when it comes to Koto's old kits, they still made huge strides based on the Z Knight I built last year and when it comes to putting details I actually put them above Bandai.
If you like the design I don't think you'll regret it.

Nice. Might have to go back and get it.

Also, Schizophonic put out a a photo review for the RG Unicorn. Just by looking at it and the manual, I'm starting to think that all of us that cried "hand grenade" when they announced it might be eating crow once reviews hit Youtube.

AALLx

That was awesome! Guess they finally realized/remembered what made Build Fighters popular to begin with: blatant fanservice.

But, Build Fighters Try was a blatant fanservice show though. More specifically, to the fandom outside of the UC crowd:
  • G Gundam - super powers, silly moves, doing impossible things, emotion-driven power-ups. If you're a G Gundam fan, Try is definitely a fan service towards you
  • Super Deformed
  • Gunpla enthusiasts - Minato Sakai is the embodiment of this; does not care about canonicity whatsoever, makes transforming+combining super robos, gundam girls, etc. He represented the creative side of the hobby
  • More Meijin Kawaguchi - "Gunpla is freedom!"

I personally like BFT a lot, but maybe it's because I don't think too fondly of UC aside from 08th MS Team and Unicorn.

Sandfox

But, Build Fighters Try was a blatant fanservice show though. More specifically, to the fandom outside of the UC crowd:
  • G Gundam - super powers, silly moves, doing impossible things, emotion-driven power-ups. If you're a G Gundam fan, Try is definitely a fan service towards you
  • Super Deformed
  • Gunpla enthusiasts - Minato Sakai is the embodiment of this; does not care about canonicity whatsoever, makes transforming+combining super robos, gundam girls, etc. He represented the creative side of the hobby
  • More Meijin Kawaguchi - "Gunpla is freedom!"

I personally like BFT a lot, but maybe it's because I don't think too fondly of UC aside from 08th MS Team and Unicorn.
Try had very little fanservice and references compared to the original.

AALLx

Build Fighters had references and lookalikes for pretty much every series they were allowed to use. There was something in every episode.
I don't even know how you're going to quantify that unless you list down every reference both shows have made and then tally them up or something. Or whether you've actually watched every single Gundam franchise (like Gundam G) to make that claim. Or would you even consider stuff like Tryon 3 or Super Fumina as a reference or fan service at all. Bottomline, I liked Try, maybe you didn't, I felt that it was fanservice-y enough, it probably didn't pass your standard, that's all fine and good.

Sandfox

I don't even know how you're going to quantify that unless you list down every reference both shows have made and then tally them up or something. Or whether you've actually watched every single Gundam franchise (like Gundam G) to make that claim. Or would you even consider stuff like Tryon 3 or Super Fumina as a reference or fan service at all. Bottomline, I liked Try, maybe you didn't, I felt that it was fanservice-y enough, it probably didn't pass your standard, that's all fine and good.
The only thing I said is that Try had less references than the original. I never said I didn't like it or anything.

yami4ct

Nice. Might have to go back and get it.

Also, Schizophonic put out a a photo review for the RG Unicorn. Just by looking at it and the manual, I'm starting to think that all of us that cried "hand grenade" when they announced it might be eating crow once reviews hit Youtube.

I've said it before, but for as much as people joke about it the Unicorn transformation really isn't anymore complicated or fragile than any of the waverider suits. It's for the most part very large parts that move fairly simply. Having the frame be all molded together off the bat also probably left them a lot of room to engineer the kit in a way to reduce stress from transformation. They also made some really clever changes on tricky spots. The front skirts being simple slides should be much, much more durable than the MG and perhaps even more than the more durable PG. They also cheat on the head transformation a bit and instead of using a complicated mechanism there to hide the face behind the mask, just make it a simple pop head and turn the face around. It's less impressive, but far more practical at the 1/144 scale.

Just looking at things, Nothing really jumps out As super risky like those front skirt armor pegs on the MG. It all appears to be pretty damn solid on any transformation parts. The one spot I expect we might see reports of breakage is the shoulder vulcans, but there's only so much you can do with those without resorting to parts forming .

But, Build Fighters Try was a blatant fanservice show though. snip

Agreed, Try did a lot of fun stuff but as a show overall it was a step down in quality all over. Visually it was not as sharp, less animation frames, less dynamic or dramatic fights (probably caused by having multiple protagonists), general story was not as interesting, stuff was presented as if it was interesting without much detail and what not.

It has some awesome designs though like the Lightning Zeta, Rgyagya, and Tryon-3 to name a few. The first simply was better made imo. Though I think your spot on it went for a lot of the most "super" attacks from the non-UC shows. Though the first had a good bit too with things like the Sangoku Red Frame and what not.

A lot of us here, at least from what I remembered, were really hyped for Try after fighters and felt let down it was not as solid, most likely because most of us were surprised how enjoyable Build Fighters were in general.

Olengie

Agreed, Try did a lot of fun stuff but as a show overall it was a step down in quality all over. Visually it was not as sharp, less animation frames, less dynamic or dramatic fights (probably caused by having multiple protagonists), general story was not as interesting, stuff was presented as if it was interesting without much detail and what not.

It has some awesome designs though like the Lightning Zeta, Rgyagya, and Tryon-3 to name a few. The first simply was better made imo. Though I think your spot on it went for a lot of the most "super" attacks from the non-UC shows. Though the first had a good bit too with things like the Sangoku Red Frame and what not.

A lot of us here, at least from what I remembered, were really hyped for Try after fighters and felt let down it was not as solid, most likely because most of us were surprised how enjoyable Build Fighters were in general.

One of my favorite designs was Transient Gundam. Just love the design and its weapon features

yami4ct

I've been making slow but sure progress on my MG Crossbone Full Cloth. Been taking plenty of WIP photos and I'll dump the best ones at some point, but I'm so excited about how the peacock smasher is turning out that I wanted to share now.

Gloss coat is drying which is why it's so wet looking. Really wanted to get protection on it ASAP. It'll get a matte coat on finish once it's lined and everything.

AALLx

Of course, quality-wise, Try was a big stepdown compared to the first one. Aside from animation quality, the story beats for BF are also more focused and had a general direction. I'm just arguing in terms of fanservice-ness, where in I don't believe Try was ever lacking. The overall quality was indeed much lower though, I completely agree.

Incidentally, I was just thinking of G Gundam the other day and decided to buy MGs of God and Master. God in progress:

I love the nuts and screws on the joints. I wish Bandai still had those with newer MGs

-Think- AGE-3 Normal Master Grade was just re-announced here on a LINE App stream for their silly mobile game. I caught the last few seconds of it and the box on the table seemed to the the AGE-3

-Think- AGE-3 Normal Master Grade was just re-announced here on a LINE App stream for their silly mobile game. I caught the last few seconds of it and the box on the table seemed to the the AGE-3
WHAT?
Will I finally be able to complete the set of the best mobile suit designs from the best Gundam show?

Paltheos

Progress on my MG Testament - torso, head, arms, shoulders done; working on waist now. This is my first Dragon Momoko kit. After all I've heard about fitting problems on their older kits, both from accounts online and from my friend who's building their Deathscythe Hell TV, I expected to run into a bunch of problems.

I haven't! I have run into a few problems so far: The male torso-waist peg isn't snapping together perfectly and I struggled with a couple of the head parts, but otherwise everything's gone without a problem. I'm building faster than I normally would too because of how many of the parts are undergated.

My only other complaint is that the stickers are kinda lousy, and there are bizarrely not enough of certain numbers: On the shoulder, for instance, you're supposed to apply a pair of crimson stickers on each side, but DM provides only two pair instead of four. On the flip side it looks like I'll have an ass load of extra waterslides so I'll see how that goes when I get up to them.

RangerBAD

Of course, quality-wise, Try was a big stepdown compared to the first one. Aside from animation quality, the story beats for BF are also more focused and had a general direction. I'm just arguing in terms of fanservice-ness, where in I don't believe Try was ever lacking. The overall quality was indeed much lower though, I completely agree.

Incidentally, I was just thinking of G Gundam the other day and decided to buy MGs of God and Master. God in progress:

I love the nuts and screws on the joints. I wish Bandai still had those with newer MGs

Going for the duckroll look?

Mecha Gaikotsu review of the RG Unicorn

Between his and this other guy's review I saw on YouTube, I think it's safe to say Bandai did it. They fucking did it.

Milk this mold all you want, this was an impressive feat.

Edit: C/P from a reddit post about how he transformed the knees:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Mecha fucked up the knee transformation suuuuuuuuuuuuper hard. You pull on the the thruster on the back of the leg and the psycho-frame pulls up ***on its own.*** You do not (and absolutely SHOULD NOT DO THIS) have to pull or push the psychoframe out yourself.

Don't do like Mecha and read the instructions carefully. I guaranty he broke something when he did this and if he didn't, he should count his blessings.

-------------

If it transforms, I imagine it'll be a Zeta tier hand grenade.

Nah, way worse.

RG Unicorn - Destroyed Mode

What a nightmare.

ex6l9gf_d.jpg

Started painting my White Ogre kit. I have no idea what I'm doing. My first time painting any kit to any significant extent. I feel like I have already failed >< sigh, maybe next weekend will go better.

I've been making slow but sure progress on my MG Crossbone Full Cloth. Been taking plenty of WIP photos and I'll dump the best ones at some point, but I'm so excited about how the peacock smasher is turning out that I wanted to share now.

Gloss coat is drying which is why it's so wet looking. Really wanted to get protection on it ASAP. It'll get a matte coat on finish once it's lined and everything.

yess! More gunpla pics! Keep em coming =)

Worked on my Providence last night. Gonna do torso tonight hopefully but have a drinking party tonight with coworkers ugh...

Also in the mood to start watching Build Fighters again and make my own "this would be my gunpla" gunpla... Which is why I'm hovering over ordering another MG Altron to custom paint. Don't let me do it guys!

firelogic

Mecha Gaikotsu review of the RG Unicorn

Between his and this other guy's review I saw on YouTube, I think it's safe to say Bandai did it. They fucking did it.

Milk this mold all you want, this was an impressive feat.

Edit: C/P from a reddit post about how he transformed the knees:

-------------
ex6l9gf_d.jpg

I'm glad it turned out well and is a solid kit. I didn't preorder it so I'm waiting for them to reopen orders.

Edit: nvm, orders are open again!

Worked on my Providence last night. Gonna do torso tonight hopefully but have a drinking party tonight with coworkers ugh...

Also in the mood to start watching Build Fighters again and make my own "this would be my gunpla" gunpla... Which is why I'm hovering over ordering another MG Altron to custom paint. Don't let me do it guys!
Lookin good! drink and gunpla =P

AALLx

Very nice! Have you got the waterslides as well? I'm considering getting the expansion set, but it does feel a bit too steep. It's almost 4,000 yen from where I can get one, more than half the price of the kit itself.

God Gundam complete!
This is the best articulation I've ever seen. It holds up well for a 16-year old kit.

Very nice! Have you got the waterslides as well? I'm considering getting the expansion set, but it does feel a bit too steep. It's almost 4,000 yen from where I can get one, more than half the price of the kit itself.

God Gundam complete!

This is the best articulation I've ever seen. It holds up well for a 16-year old kit.
nice!

Sora_N

Is MG Wing Zero (angel wings) still worth picking up? It's pretty cheap at $50 CAD.

I would get the RG but they are so finnicky, I have Freedom and it's not really my thing. I also have RX-78-2 but not built.

My first MG! I felt like if I took my time more it would've went a bit better but I was so hyped to build it lol

_ch8oh9KjmPll4BK7zKSAea408kg3yT0sfhrR-tqhy_7CU44El_B9UqHmY1U7xmkgVVeMkDEhZxtUX6z3rxQISRQe4DeiXvfF7-6awo2NOkXNSg8uiqH8sAHth6lOa4oghB8wxLRpmJnh4qEJYvvn3ukEnoVFsk2n9nc_p8sWEHZN9-JLPOK6ab7eydrMDToTakRFbpuTiKM059ojBKO7r1WQIjNYGAUNDJu2dx-AjwqYQclT6SwgoDlQTBTQHN4mRhs_pCfgU_ou8El9RejN_DTdu6B2lhk84qAji3nZnCv_xSSgLwG6tvFuBq3C5Y1KFotzhExSdqPHpxY9zrmJZXW8nvbzuh5TJTizyE2k5CaiMB0YNid14kNnrskF-f-Tz8dBfW6DwrOJ1QntDloQSZ14ZFJtBpdSzfVfqRn3M4vOmVJGPykov3pmfWuo8O12HtLW1Ubz08nEYbwxDe6GneiSc3LS6WkjykXo7JmTao2-nKbwdFsToyvah_V6HzA09m97TnRGD_NctTGzOTk_kOWnK3t7cSIl1ZL1fkJg0xF4u3Yi1CyBr6pthn777CxFY4d6Zs5jjkqz2FsF5DBXLlTC2MrtNS1oHSaIH4lknhrN1aGZDtUw3sd=w713-h950-no

KxKQVS7ljYb-T-HjfLXp0fkZLNPDSBW89eGyzepI_S_sVhnxEoJU6z50PV_gY86xY7tQHCB_ZN0BCc_5Qzv0NN1iSxvLaf6Ju3iHnvSjuUzAHe-97UU5cSVaTCbHs6Ht9GoFsEFF7b_nFk_YQCbxXV2NwClRqJk15fFXR36RYbZMc9tzufdBo6kMdxkyIE8OAWzfKDPphm0Mdtn-2VAwq_rn119EjqNdr2LL612GdhhGAmMdE4S6aJSTIUvYTUdA1ukGYGxiitJQ4o3W57OYBOSSTqEa3YRy03B0JA6AnkJ3NUa-215zvAB1S9jH2PyMM5GOxeCYgWTXtVSqNSMdYWPgxjVVjOXZVoRrr_Le02Sc_HrD9i0mtA9zwLsnUhlUvGsjyJCLfj_7gpAORdZBd69e3UfbcC4j9YWcZf4HlYu6nUJiNRI-ka-8sDKTcgldpxRICZm_EUx2P2UOmsl39WcOYcqEjnUH7nyVsFoXJQ868CHkjn06yPap_eScblB8AKa5hIiCaAl9TkTkw5rpF-eWaWk1S5j4qz0NV0uqi7jpPQCWlcOm6JO8EIry51XJ4xhW_TigOUj7fGAdhe4BnCFWNgar3jnlu5aVPfUdoy0TRxmyGxPCHGal=w713-h950-no

I bought a can of mr. hobby topcoat and I messed around with it, but I wasn't too sure if I was doing it wrong or not.
The front shoulder spike doesnt fit properly and falls off with just a medium forced poke. And it doesn't really hold onto the machine gun that well. I'll try to glue the spike later.
Also eventually, I'll try sticking some of the decals on. The water slides seem so intimidating lol! Also, how do you guys deal with nub marks? I bought a RX-78 Origin version to match this, but I'd like to improve with removing the nub marks before building that.

Top Bottom