• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Holy shit this is amazing.

Firstly, yes I started with the upper body, the opposite of the RG instructions which have you always start at the feet but GUNPLA IS FREEDOM.

I'm only half done with this and this is already one of my favorite kits. And probably one of the best, I test transformed everything I've finished so far and trust me, doing it yourself compared to watching reviews is an experience. The guys at Bandai who designed this kit are fucking geniuses.

Joints are definitely tight. When the instructions tell you to move the joints a little to loosen them, do it.

You've made up my mind with this post. I'm ordering this bad boy.

Double post, but RG Unicorn is completed.

(Big picture warning, testing out the camera on my new phone)

ya0f3SJ.jpg

vcJa8fg.jpg

This is no exaggeration. I've been building Gunpla for about 10 years, and this is the best kit I've ever built in that time frame. Full stop.

I admit to having a slight bias for the Unicorn design, but putting that aside and looking at the kit itself, the engineering in this thing is seriously worthy of the Gunpla Evolution Project moniker. The transformation really gave me little to no trouble (thigh parts came off but it was easy enough to extend the leg and put them back on). And everything in Destroy mode stays together perfectly. It's nowhere near as loose feeling as the MG was. This thing is the definition of sturdy (equal to if not better than the RG Mk-II). But if I had to give it one negative, it was that the joints were sometimes too tight. The amount of pressure you have to exert to rotate the arms, for example, seriously made me worry that it was going to snap. But if you're careful and flex the joints during the build, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus the shield feels like it's too far from the arm, but I assume that's to have room for the beam gatling guns.

tl;dr Fan of the design or no, this is a kit everyone should build.

Milk this mold for all its worth, Bandai. You've earned the right.

Who was the intended audience for the Gunndam Wing Endless Waltz Glory of Losers manga, I was going to suggest it to folks but it goes over some of the beginning events of gundam wing in a way that only anime watchers and fans would understand what happened.

Otherwise, v1 is, at least awesome. I never get tired of seeing Duo as the lead and rescuring Heero and of course the beginning when all five of them are in their different locations.

Download Qooapp onto your phone if you have an Android phone, then download the Macross game from Qooapp. You'll have to let your phone download from unknown sources, but Qooapp is safe.

I can't help you if you have an iPhone.i guess you could ask in the Japanese Gacha Game thread.

Man that RG Unicorn looks great, good job.

muteki

Download Qooapp onto your phone if you have an Android phone, then download the Macross game from Qooapp. You'll have to let your phone download from unknown sources, but Qooapp is safe.

I can't help you if you have an iPhone.i guess you could ask in the Japanese Gacha Game thread.

Man that RG Unicorn looks great, good job.

Well that was easier than expected. Now back to wasting time...

Got the Mega Size put together. Holy toledo is it big. Here it is compared to the RX-78-2 Mega Size kit with an HG thrown in.

Looks awesome - i told myself i wouldn't build another Unicorn after the MG, but am seriously having second thoughts after seeing various reviews of this thing!

Bombless

Double post, but RG Unicorn is completed.

(Big picture warning, testing out the camera on my new phone)

This is no exaggeration. I've been building Gunpla for about 10 years, and this is the best kit I've ever built in that time frame. Full stop.

I admit to having a slight bias for the Unicorn design, but putting that aside and looking at the kit itself, the engineering in this thing is seriously worthy of the Gunpla Evolution Project moniker. The transformation really gave me little to no trouble (thigh parts came off but it was easy enough to extend the leg and put them back on). And everything in Destroy mode stays together perfectly. It's nowhere near as loose feeling as the MG was. This thing is the definition of sturdy (equal to if not better than the RG Mk-II). But if I had to give it one negative, it was that the joints were sometimes too tight. The amount of pressure you have to exert to rotate the arms, for example, seriously made me worry that it was going to snap. But if you're careful and flex the joints during the build, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus the shield feels like it's too far from the arm, but I assume that's to have room for the beam gatling guns.

tl;dr Fan of the design or no, this is a kit everyone should build.

Milk this mold for all its worth, Bandai. You've earned the right.

That is some goddamn outstanding work, sir!

yami4ct

Looks awesome - i told myself i wouldn't build another Unicorn after the MG, but am seriously having second thoughts after seeing various reviews of this thing!

Basically every Unicorn that's not MG is awesome. The RG is incredible for the size and price, just make sure you've got some gold paint for the horn so you don't have to use that awful sticker. The PG is still my favorite kit Bandai has done. Every GunPla fan who can afford it should build it once. Building the PG Norn right now and it's still incredible.

Kalentan

I will say I must be in the minority. Turns out, a lot of people also don't like Season 2 of 00, which I enjoyed! So I both enjoy Destiny and S2 of 00.

o_O

I like what the rest of the fandom hates. D:

Also I find it weird how there is apparently all of these side stories and such to Gundam Seed, the Astray and Stargazer stuff but it seems like the two tv shows completely ignore these. Not even a reference.

I will say I must be in the minority. Turns out, a lot of people also don't like Season 2 of 00, which I enjoyed! So I both enjoy Destiny and S2 of 00.

o_O

Also I find it weird how there is apparently all of these side stories and such to Gundam Seed, the Astray and Stargazer stuff but it seems like the two tv shows completely ignore these. Not even a reference.

Actually there was a scene toward the end of Seed where the (most likely) ReHOME from Astray was resupplying the Three Ships Alliance. So that's at least one reference.

And neither show references Stargazer because Stargazer was made after Destiny ended.

o_O

Go watch AGE and come back to be my best friend.

Can't find the RG Unicorn ANYWHERE.
This sucks so bad. Anyone dealt with GundamPlanet before?

yami4ct

Gundam Planet are legit. I haven't shopped with them myself, but they've been around for a good while and have a good reputation.

The Japanese shops like HLJ and AmiAmi have the RG Unicorn in stock still. US based sites don't because BlueFin, the US distributor, won't have supply out for like a month or two still. Only sites that have it are based in japan or buy directly from a JP distributor.

Gundam Planet is great. I usually get my kits from them within a week using UPS shipping. Never had anything arrive damaged, things are always nicely packed. Plus they have a sort of rewards program. You get so many GP points per kit and once you get over 200 you can apply them to your orders. Iirc 200 points will knock off $2 or so.

Re: RG Unicorn and US sites, I actually got mine from Gundam Planet. Ordered it a week ago.

Gundam: The Origin manga creator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko stated at a screening event for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin V: Clash at Loum (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin V: Loum no Kaisen) on Saturday that "there will be more" of the anime series. Yasuhiko said he wants the anime to show the One-Year War arc next, but clarified that there isn't any official word yet on whether the anime will continue after the Loum Arc ends with the sixth episode.

Yasuhiko and voice actors Banjou Ginga, Shūichi Ikeda, Tohru Furuya, and Toshio Furukawa appeared at the stage event. The event was livestreamed at the first screening of the day for theaters screening the episode.

Yasuhiko had stated in an interview last month that he was open to a remake of the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam anime. In response to a question of whether the ongoing Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin prequel anime series will eventually continue on to the main One-Year War story of the first Gundam anime, Yasuhiko replied "I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't do it. The length of the story is no joke, though." He also stated that the staff feel the same way.
It seems that the probability of Sunrise doing a full adaptation of The Origin for the 40th anniversary is steadily increasing

duckroll

If they run it as a series in 2019, he'll be 72 or 73.

Origin VI will be released on May 5 2018. I'm not sure Sunrise is ready to suddenly jump into a weekly TV series for such a project by 2019. It would be pointless to do Origin's OYW as a cheap half assed series, considering how 0079 already exists on blu-ray. To do something worthwhile would requite at least the Yamato 2199 format. Which means about a year of prep at least, followed by periodical theatrical releases of a set of episodes. It took 1.5 years for Yamato 2199 to release 26 episodes. 50 episodes would probably take 3 years to complete at the very least, maybe more, since they would need to pad the dates out more to prevent production from falling behind releases.

If they start right after Origin VI is released, it would not be done until 2022 or 2023 at the soonest. It'll be a long wait. But Yas seems healthy, so barring something unexpected, he probably won't die anytime soon. :p

yami4ct

I'm basically with Duckroll on this one. There's no point really in going with a weekly series now. It'd look better than 0079 with better pacing, but it would be weird going right off the kind of production they've had for the flashback arc and the traditional OVA route would end up requiring cutting a lot to get a decent schedule so it's also not worth it. The Yamato method is really the only viable outcome. I kind of hope when they do edit it back down to a series, they place the flashback arc back in manga order. I kind of liked that extended break at that point in the story personally.

RangerBAD

Origin VI will be released on May 5 2018. I'm not sure Sunrise is ready to suddenly jump into a weekly TV series for such a project by 2019. It would be pointless to do Origin's OYW as a cheap half assed series, considering how 0079 already exists on blu-ray. To do something worthwhile would requite at least the Yamato 2199 format. Which means about a year of prep at least, followed by periodical theatrical releases of a set of episodes. It took 1.5 years for Yamato 2199 to release 26 episodes. 50 episodes would probably take 3 years to complete at the very least, maybe more, since they would need to pad the dates out more to prevent production from falling behind releases.

If they start right after Origin VI is released, it would not be done until 2022 or 2023 at the soonest. It'll be a long wait. But Yas seems healthy, so barring something unexpected, he probably won't die anytime soon. :p

This is what prompted my question. There was no way it would be a TV series. I think it'll take longer unless the episodes are meaty.

Kalentan

So I finished rewatching both seasons of Gundam 00.

Honestly I still like it. I know the series starts to become a bit more science fantasy towards the end but I feel with the introduction of the GN drive a the start of the series it was always going to go down that route.

Season 1 is good but really just feels like lots and lots of setup for Season 2 where I believe the real show begins.

It was fun and enjoyable, I remember liking the movie for the most part and may rewatch that but unsure.

What I'm also unsure about is Iron-Blooded Orphans. I only ever watched 4 episodes of Season 1 and so I'm wondering if I should go back and watch it. From what I recall I wasn't a big fan of the main character or his design and the story didn't seem all that interesting. Standard Earth is all of the evils.

Beth Cyra

What is everyone doing, anyways?
We got:

Twilight Axis (Absolute garbage)
Thunderbolt
The Origin
Build Fighters Battloge
Build Fighters Try OVA

Anything I'm missing?

The Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop adaptation yo!

Seriously though I really hope the next AU speaks to me as I'm so over UC and the last three AU didn't do anything for me.

So I finished rewatching both seasons of Gundam 00.

Honestly I still like it.

What I'm also unsure about is Iron-Blooded Orphans. I only ever watched 4 episodes of Season 1 and so I'm wondering if I should go back and watch it. From what I recall I wasn't a big fan of the main character or his design and the story didn't seem all that interesting. Standard Earth is all of the evils.

Agreed, as one of the seemingly few people who liked 00 as well on this forum I can defend a lot about it. But the common gripes about it are also 100% right. It's one of the most well paced, great all around voice acting, awesome animation from start to finish, ect. It's an extremely watchable show compared to other Gundams. The second season simply goes off the rails with a lot of things asking the viewer to just accept it, not to mention the movie. Subtle is better, and they went subtle to "heres everything so you don't have to make assumptions about the most interesting parts of this story, and our reasons are pretty dumb"

Also I love IBO. I definitely think it could have been better but the whole situation just leaves the viewer with a half full or half empty interpretation if you actually like thinking about the show you just watched. I know a lot of anime heads simply finished it with a this was the bad guy this was the good guy, no thoughts about it. But I thought their pretty realistic way of things was interesting in that you definitely would question who is right and who is wrong because of the incredible amount of characters and sides, for the good and bad that brings.

A lot of plot points were wasted though mostly due to the aforementioned vast amount of sides all weaving together.

That Gundam Vidar though -kisses fingertips- whoever designed that needs a raise.
and its second form

wao, another p-bandai special edition. It's pretty but not 9,000 yen pretty.

Top Bottom