• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

So what advice would you give someone like me who wants to get started in bjj and has no MA experience whatsoever and who's about to hit 30 in 7 months?

I'm 30. Age doesn't mean jack shit. You may think you lack the flexibility, but BJJ will give you the flexibility. You may think you're too old, 30 isn't too old and using that reasoning if you stick with it you'll have a black belt by 40. That was my reasoning when I went for it.

Just research your local places. Google 'BJJ school' and find the places you're interested in that are close. Make sure it's close because being close will give you more motivation when starting out. If it's too far away some days you may say,"nah, that's too far and I'm too sore so I'll skip class today" and that class skip turns into multiple class skips, and eventually you just stop coming. So make sure it's close and a good price.

Post the links here and we will validate whether or not they're legit. In BJJ lineage is important. BJJ can be expensive depending on the school, so try to find a more humble place. Gracie Barra for instance is expensive as fuck and the teaching quality varies wildly. Once that's done, go ask for a free class. They should provide you with a clean Gi to practice in. If not, just come with a t shirt and shorts anyways. Wash your feet before coming and go in wearing sandals or flip flops so you can change in the bathroom. Do not go in the bathroom with bare feet. DO NOT GO IN THE BATHROOM WITH BARE FEET. Make sure you have no skin infections or rashes or athlete's foot. If you like the free class stick with it.

If someone ran with this as their campaign slogan, id vote for them :D And yeah the mouth is fine thanks haha, it was just a glancing blow as he threw his legs over my head going for an armbar.

I got my first submissions in sparring last night! An Americana and an armbar. Also landed a nice sweep on a guy ranked higher than me. I still suck, but i feel better in my suckage today haha

Sounds rad. I haven't been able to practice this week because I have a rash.

Can't wait to start training when this stupid rash is gone. I hope I'm not rusty. Been going to the gym this week instead and doing cardio on step ladders to keep my cardio up. Even if I can't train I can still prepare for that tournament in September.

How was everyone else's week?

Is this a stealth BJJ general thread? I took 2 years off from training because of law school, but picked it up again about 4 months ago. Got promoted to blue belt yesterday and am really glad to be training again.

I propose an official thread title

BJJ |OT| it's just aggressive snuggling

I have to miss class tomorrow as I'm babysitting my goddaughter. My shoulders have been very sore recently tho so maybe a couple days off is for the best.

Also congrats on the blue belt dude!!

I'm 30. Age doesn't mean jack shit. You may think you lack the flexibility, but BJJ will give you the flexibility. You may think you're too old, 30 isn't too old and using that reasoning if you stick with it you'll have a black belt by 40. That was my reasoning when I went for it.

Just research your local places. Google 'BJJ school' and find the places you're interested in that are close. Make sure it's close because being close will give you more motivation when starting out. If it's too far away some days you may say,"nah, that's too far and I'm too sore so I'll skip class today" and that class skip turns into multiple class skips, and eventually you just stop coming. So make sure it's close and a good price.

Post the links here and we will validate whether or not they're legit. In BJJ lineage is important. BJJ can be expensive depending on the school, so try to find a more humble place. Gracie Barra for instance is expensive as fuck and the teaching quality varies wildly. Once that's done, go ask for a free class. They should provide you with a clean Gi to practice in. If not, just come with a t shirt and shorts anyways. Wash your feet before coming and go in wearing sandals or flip flops so you can change in the bathroom. Do not go in the bathroom with bare feet. DO NOT GO IN THE BATHROOM WITH BARE FEET. Make sure you have no skin infections or rashes or athlete's foot. If you like the free class stick with it.

Sounds rad. I haven't been able to practice this week because I have a rash.

thanks for the help & reply!

I live in Colorado Springs and there is a good spot between where I live and work. here is the website

http://www.cowarrior.com/

I'm bout 30 lbs overweight (230-235lbs) and work at in local TV news as an editor & photographer (so a whole lot of sitting and standing in long stretches while at work.) I hope this would help me get fit & healthy while also giving me a stress relief outlet and a productive hobby. getting started will kick my ass it seems though haha.

I propose an official thread title

BJJ |OT| it's just aggressive snuggling

I have to miss class tomorrow as I'm babysitting my goddaughter. My shoulders have been very sore recently tho so maybe a couple days off is for the best.

Also congrats on the blue belt dude!!

can we just get a mod to convert this to an OT? and add more info to the op?

BJJ |OT| Boom! That's how to start a fight and finish it quickly!

:p

thanks for the help & reply!

I live in Colorado Springs and there is a good spot between where I live and work. here is the website

http://www.cowarrior.com/

Ok. That place seems legit. They've got awards and championships.

I see them proudly display lineage (Chris Haueter BJJ black belt) and that's something to watch out for when looking at MMA gyms, so it's a good sign.

Contact them about a free class and examine the culture of the school. Things to be aware of: is it clean? Do they emphasize cleanliness? In BJJ, this is important due to safety. Are the people nice? Does it feel like they have a cult like attitude towards the teachers? Do they act like assholes? Some people may be a little cold when you go but that's because in BJJ there's a high drop out rate for white belts and they've seen people come and go a thousands times and refuse to get attached unless you show the willingness to come, grow, and work hard. But right now they have zero reason to get invested and may maintain minimum politeness. So if they're kind of cold, brush it off. But what I'm describing isn't being an asshole but general aloofness about your presence there. You will be considered a guest. Other questions to ask are: do they spar (roll)? If not, avoid.

Slideyfoot's faq on BJJ is helpful here and it should answer some questions or general anxieties.

What should I wear to my first class? ^

Ideally, you should wear the standard training uniform, referred to as either a 'gi' or sometimes, a 'kimono' (generally only in Brazil: if you're interested in the history of the gi, see here). This consists of a jacket and trousers (typically cotton), designed to cope with the strain of being twisted and yanked. It also comes with a belt, to tie the jacket closed: for your first class, this will of course be a white belt (there are five main ranks in BJJ: see here for more on that).

However, if you don't have a gi yet, it is normally ok to just wear some loose trousers and a t-shirt, or a t-shirt and shorts. Make sure that there aren't any zips or pockets, as those could either scratch your training partners, or catch fingers and toes. You can always buy a gi later, once you've decided you want to stick with BJJ. For some advice on what to buy, see here. Similarly, don't wear jewellery and tie back long hair (see here for more details).

Alternatively, you may decide you'd prefer to go to what's called a 'no-gi' class. As the name suggests, this type of training is done without a gi. That means a t-shirt and shorts is fine, or better, a rash-guard and shorts. For more on the differences between gi and no-gi, see here.

How should I approach class as a beginner? ^

Here are my top five tips:

1. Relax

The biggest mistake most new people make is treating every spar as life or death, clinging on desperately trying not to 'lose', or using as much muscle as possible so they can 'win'. Save 'winning' or 'losing' for competition: in class, just concentrate on improving your technique. It doesn't matter if you get tapped along the way.

Relaxing also helps to avoid injury: if you're so focused on 'not losing' that you don't tap, you're liable to hurt yourself. Relax, tap and start again, instead of holding on until something breaks, putting you out of training for weeks, months or even years.

2. Ask questions

Don't be afraid to talk to people. If you're confused by something in drilling, find the instructor and ask them to help you out: after all, you're paying them to teach you. Similarly, after sparring, if you don't understand what you did wrong, ask your partner. They're in a great position to tell you.

3. Find a good training partner

Following on from the previous point, if you find somebody is particularly helpful in drilling, provides useful advice after sparring, and/or generally stays controlled and technical when rolling etc, stick with them. Good training partners will have a hugely positive effect on your progress.

Of course, a good training partner will normally be more experienced than you. Someone who spouts off without knowing what they're talking about becomes irritating rather than helpful. Having said that, it is possible to learn from anyone, so don't be close-minded.

4. Maintain good hygiene

I can't emphasise this enough. Not only is it extremely skanky to train with an unwashed gi, it's also dangerous. There are lots of nasty bacteria waiting to jump all over your skin in sweaty grappling sports, and infections can even be fatal (MRSA, staph etc).

Stay safe by taking a shower after training, then wash your gi once you get home. I would advise owning more than one gi, meaning that you can wash your gi after every session you train. No-one wants to train with the stinky grappler, and if you come in with infections (be that fungal, like ringworm, or the really dangerous stuff mentioned earlier), you're quickly going to become very unpopular.

Also, be sure to keep your nails short. Otherwise, you're liable to cut people, which again is not going to impress your training partners.

5. Keep training

BJJ is a difficult sport, and that means there is a high turnover of white belts. Lots of people start, get frustrated, then quit. Accept that the first few months are going to involve a lot of you getting squashed under somebody else. Stay consistent, eventually you'll get the hang of things.

For an excellent list of advice in a similar vein, see BJJ Grrl's "Dos and Don't", or for another superb set of tips, Levo's old piece on beginning grappling. Finally, read Georgette's advice on staying clean.

http://www.slideyfoot.com/2006/10/bjj-beginner-faq.html#clothes

Staying clean (very important). Read Georgette's piece. Ringworm, staph;etc are serious.

http://georgetteoden.blogspot.com/2010/04/plea-for-cleanliness.html

Berlappin how did you set up your submissions?

Also, what are your gym visits like? I didn't much if any cardio besides BJJ until I started tourney prepping but I love strength training. I tend to lift weights every other day, or basically any day I do BJJ so it's three days a week. Since I generally do BJJ in the morning, I go to the gym first. If I didn't lift first I wouldn't lift because I'm dead after Jiu Jitsu. The fact I exercise almost every day except Saturday is something I never would have imagined considering my lifestyle years ago. I just started strength training so I'm still new to it and it on top of BJJ is pretty fun.

I would love to learn BJJ, but I don't know how to go about it.

We have discussed the process of finding a local school on this page. Go to google and type in BJJ schools and find the closest ones. See if they're legit. Ask for a free class. Trim your nails, take a shower, and go. Keep your ego in check and always ready to tap.

Berlappin how did you set up your submissions?

Also, what are your gym visits like? I didn't much if any cardio besides BJJ until I started tourney prepping but I love strength training. I tend to lift weights every other day, or basically any day I do BJJ so it's three days a week. Since I generally do BJJ in the morning, I go to the gym first. If I didn't lift first I wouldn't lift because I'm dead after Jiu Jitsu. The fact I exercise almost every day except Saturday is something I never would have imagined considering my lifestyle years ago. I just started strength training so I'm still new to it and it on top of BJJ is pretty fun.

Well the guy I was rolling with was a total newbie so it was way, way easy to setup the subs. I just pulled guard straight away, hit him with a sweep that I think was called either the idiot trip or idiot drop (push hips with your feet, while pulling their ankles towards you), straight into full mount, grabbed his arm and got an Americana. The armbar was different, I was trying to hit a triangle from the bottom, and while locking it up he actually just fell over on his side, and all I had to do was put my legs over his face and stretch out the arm I had been holding onto. Like honestly with more experienced players I'd probably never have pulled them off, but I guess that's how it goes. The more experienced people sub me, and I sub people less experienced than myself!!

Yeah with my gym routine I try and do 2 days of BJJ and 2 days of gym per week. I do a lot of HIIT exercises for cardio. Jump rope, sled sprints, battle ropes etc. Some bodyweight exercises too like chin ups, push ups, hanging leg raises, and some light lifting. I'm not great at lifting but it's fun. Like at the moment I think my max DL is like 50 or 60kg which is pretty sad lol

Does your gym do stripes? You gotten any yet?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In 2012, after years of contemplating it, I finally decided that I would take up a martial art. That year I tried out probably every major martial art you could think of, but the first one I went after was BJJ. Not so much cause it was my first choice, but rather cause it was the closest to my house (lol). It was one of those Gracie jiujitsu places. Seemed pretty okay, costing about $150/mo for as many sessions (5 max per week, iirc) as you desired. Sadly, I never got very far due to many reasons.

Was thinking of joining my Uni's BJJ club, which would only cost me $80-100 just for the gi.

We have discussed the process of finding a local school on this page. Go to google and type in BJJ schools and find the closest ones. See if they're legit. Ask for a free class. Trim your nails, take a shower, and go. Keep your ego in check and always ready to tap.

Is that you in your avatar?

Oblivion @ If money is tight you could find a spot and start with no-gi. Some BJJ gyms also have beginners classes where you don't need to wear a gi but can show up with shorts and t-shirt. You should get the gi when you know you want to stick around! Just so you don't waste money if it isn't for you:)

A protip; You can get a solid Judo gi for a good price multiple places. It has the same cut as the BJJ gi. So if you really want to start in the gi, it could be a way to go. Most schools don't have a requirement to use their gi's specifically.
BJJ is notoriously expensive because of the hype and popularity, and it's why it is a lot more expensive than Judo. A Judo gym will be more affordable. But there are affordable places, so show around. Sherdog, BJJ reddit and Jiujitsu forums have some nice resources and suggestions if you need to find out about a certain gym. They also seem to be able to figure out a lot about individual instructurs and their credentials and all that!

stealth bjj community thread?

i just got my brown belt 3 weeks ago :)

Congrats! Thats a hell of an accomplishment. If you think about the work put in, it would probably be akin to the same level as a studying for a degree, if not more!

Well the guy I was rolling with was a total newbie so it was way, way easy to setup the subs. I just pulled guard straight away, hit him with a sweep that I think was called either the idiot trip or idiot drop (push hips with your feet, while pulling their ankles towards you), straight into full mount, grabbed his arm and got an Americana. The armbar was different, I was trying to hit a triangle from the bottom, and while locking it up he actually just fell over on his side, and all I had to do was put my legs over his face and stretch out the arm I had been holding onto. Like honestly with more experienced players I'd probably never have pulled them off, but I guess that's how it goes. The more experienced people sub me, and I sub people less experienced than myself!!

Yeah with my gym routine I try and do 2 days of BJJ and 2 days of gym per week. I do a lot of HIIT exercises for cardio. Jump rope, sled sprints, battle ropes etc. Some bodyweight exercises too like chin ups, push ups, hanging leg raises, and some light lifting. I'm not great at lifting but it's fun. Like at the moment I think my max DL is like 50 or 60kg which is pretty sad lol

Does your gym do stripes? You gotten any yet?

Oh. You're more of a cardio person haha. I can't stand it and the only reason I can stomach it now is because it'll help my BJJ. I'm more of a lifter!

My place does stripes but I'm still a solid white belt. They're pretty conservative with stripes though. I'm hoping to do well in the tournament to get my first stripes.

And you're right about that. It feels good no longer being the worst person in the room anymore to give confidence. It also feels good to occasionally submit another white belt with stripes or even (rarely) a blue belt. But it's wise to never let it get to you and just keep rolling. Sometimes I'm just lucky I think but it's hard to not hype yourself up sometimes.

But what gives me a lot of confidence is how my demeanor has changed because of Jiu Jitsu. Before BJJ I mean, I did Muay Thai for two years. So I know how to throw a punch or two. But I still felt like a helpless girl. Now I have confidence despite my lack of stripe. At six months my professor told me I now had the capacity to handle most every day people, and I feel that way too. It has helped change how I handle stress and pressure in ways I didn't get with Muay, as much as I love it, and no offense to that beautiful art.

stealth bjj community thread?

i just got my brown belt 3 weeks ago :)

Such dedication. Hope I'm where you're at some day.

In 2012, after years of contemplating it, I finally decided that I would take up a martial art. That year I tried out probably every major martial art you could think of, but the first one I went after was BJJ. Not so much cause it was my first choice, but rather cause it was the closest to my house (lol). It was one of those Gracie jiujitsu places. Seemed pretty okay, costing about $150/mo for as many sessions (5 max per week, iirc) as you desired. Sadly, I never got very far due to many reasons.

Was thinking of joining my Uni's BJJ club, which would only cost me $80-100 just for the gi.

Is that you in your avatar?

Why did you stop? 80-100? Sorta jealous. I paid 150 for mine. I thought it was the only option at the time because I didn't know you could just order a gi online. Or I knew, but didn't know where to shop or even what fit me. Walrus' suggestion is pretty good. A judo gi would be absolutely fine. A lot of BJJ gi's have sponsors and patches. I prefer mine to be a bit minimalist and I'm considering getting a new gi and just putting my affiliate's logo on it and leaving it at that. But that depends. If you do go with a judo gi be sure to ask because certain places are specific about gi's as it's a uniform and you represent your gym/school/dojo/club.

And no, that's not me. lol That's Rashida Jones in Death Proof.

I pay 140 a month for Jiu Jitsu. I've cut back a lot to support it.

Isn't that Rosario Dawson? Rashida Jones wasn't in Death Proof.

Anyways back on topic :p

I have a birthmark on the top of my foot that looks like ring worm, so when I do join a gym, I'm gonna have to explain that every time I'm with a partner on the mat. Blah! O well.

I'm gonna put in more time at the gym before joining the bjj school. i need the cardio.

I have a birthmark on the top of my foot that looks like ring worm, so when I do join a gym, I'm gonna have to explain that every time I'm with a partner on the mat. Blah! O well.

I'm gonna put in more time at the gym before joining the bjj school. i need the cardio.

Ssshhhh. Don't tell him! It's Rashida Jones!

And you don't need to put in more time to go to BJJ. If you do that, you'll never make it becaus you will always be comparing your level to something that doesn't exist and you'll continue to put it off until you're in "BJJ shape." Do BJJ if you want to do BJJ. BJJ will give you all the cardio you need. Even if you up your cardio to a good level before BJJ it still won't be enough and you will have wasted time instead of just doing BJJ. Nothing will prepare you to be BJJ fit except maybe wrestling.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oblivion @ If money is tight you could find a spot and start with no-gi. Some BJJ gyms also have beginners classes where you don't need to wear a gi but can show up with shorts and t-shirt. You should get the gi when you know you want to stick around! Just so you don't waste money if it isn't for you:)

A protip; You can get a solid Judo gi for a good price multiple places. It has the same cut as the BJJ gi. So if you really want to start in the gi, it could be a way to go. Most schools don't have a requirement to use their gi's specifically.
BJJ is notoriously expensive because of the hype and popularity, and it's why it is a lot more expensive than Judo. A Judo gym will be more affordable. But there are affordable places, so show around. Sherdog, BJJ reddit and Jiujitsu forums have some nice resources and suggestions if you need to find out about a certain gym. They also seem to be able to figure out a lot about individual instructurs and their credentials and all that!

Thanks for the advice!

Why did you stop? 80-100? Sorta jealous. I paid 150 for mine. I thought it was the only option at the time because I didn't know you could just order a gi online. Or I knew, but didn't know where to shop or even what fit me. Walrus' suggestion is pretty good. A judo gi would be absolutely fine. A lot of BJJ gi's have sponsors and patches. I prefer mine to be a bit minimalist and I'm considering getting a new gi and just putting my affiliate's logo on it and leaving it at that. But that depends. If you do go with a judo gi be sure to ask because certain places are specific about gi's as it's a uniform and you represent your gym/school/dojo/club.

I pay 140 a month for Jiu Jitsu. I've cut back a lot to support it.

I stopped going because shortly after I got a full time job and the hours completely overlapped the hours for thee BJJ gym. So it was literally impossible for me to go. Shame really, since I could have had roughly 4 years of experience by now. D:

Also, I didn't realize Gis were that fricken expensive!

And no, that's not me. lol That's Rashida Jones in Death Proof.

Oh! Knew she looked familiar...lol.

I started at 37 and have been training for 4 yrs now. I'm a high level blue belt and I compete about 1-2 times a year. I train 3 times a week with mostly 20 somethings. I also love to find open mats where I can test myself against others who I don't regularly train with.

I train under a Cobrhina brown belt in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. If anyone wants to try a free class, please send me a PM.

b62b7c977398bdb127ca7dbbd68aa017.jpg

Gabi Garcia versus Mackenzie Dern might be one of my favorite things I have ever seen, because it really shows what is possible when technique overcomes strength and size; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybCv3XFbg8

Mackenzie (55 kg) is tiny compared Gabi (90+ kg), and you see how she just stacks, smashes and smudges her. Having so much body directly on your neck.

@ Twisted-Gamer; The thing about cardio; It's normal for people to get into BJJ when they are out of shape, and have poor cardio. In my experience cardio from other things haven't really translated into Jiu-Jitsu well.
If I go running for a while and then come to BJJ thinking that it will help my endurance or such, it doesn't really! Not for me at least! But I know some people swear by kettlebells!

I love seeing new overweight guys coming in, tiring out after 1 round of sparring. It's like your before photo. Forward to six months later, and you're a different person! I highly recommend going to BJJ in your current physical condition. Don't be scared if you're out of shape or overweight. Most of your early stages is just you tapping and getting beaten the pulp out of you. You're a baby who've not learned to walk. Cardio comes from just trying to survive, holding on.
It feels like.. It feels like wrestling with weights the size of yourself (or more). like trying to dance with a water bed that wants to choke you and tear your elbow out of its socket xD
Something you could do about your birthmark is using sports tape. Everyone tapes their feet, fingers and toes all the time, so it wont look out of place!
Most important hygiene at BJJ? That you've showered, that your nails are cut (and even if you cut them make sure there are no sharp edges. I cut my nails one time awkwardly and it created a sharp edge on one of my nail which ripped a deep wound in a training partners. Like crazy deep. 10 inch scar he still has)!
Some people if they feel a bit self conscious will wear a t-shirt under their gi. Its normal. You can also wear a rashguard under your gi if you sweat a lot, but it will sit tight.

I love stories about older guys training. Maybe because they help kill the myth of "I am too old". Fightland had this great article about a man in Lima who started BJJ in his 60s;

whitebelt-5.jpg

Cesar Colón is a 66-year-old white belt, training BJJ in Lima, Peru. While the age statistic is not uncommon in the world of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, perhaps what is surprising is that he has held his beginner’s rank for nearly five years, and has chosen to stay there by choice. It is worth mentioning first that unlike other combat sports like boxing or Muay-Thai, starting later in life is a common occurrence in jiu jitsu, and many continue practicing well into old age. It’s been said that Grandmaster Helio Gracie stopped rolling only a few weeks shy of his passing at age 93, and I remember once rolling with a 55-year old who started only a half-decade earlier and thinking, “This guy should not be this strong for his age.” But someone freely refusing to advance in the belt system is more of an oddity; in fact, I’ve never heard of that ever happening in the sport.

I first meet Colón at a local tattoo parlor in downtown Lima and we begin talking after I notice some jiu jitsu videos playing on his computer screen. At first I take him for a casual fight fan, but tells me he’s studying the technique to enhance his training. I find a general interest meeting fellow fighters while on the road, so I ask him about his story.

whitebelt-1.jpg

(full article) ; http://fightland.vice.com/blog/cesar-colon-the-perpetual-white-belt

Seriously, if your goal is to lose weight or get in better shape before doing BJJ you should just drop by and do it. You will lose weight while learning to submit people. You'll get better cardio while you scientifically learn how to manipulate your body and someone else's to achieve desired results and maintain control.

Do BJJ if you want to do BJJ.

One of my coaches used to be 300 pounds when he first started doing BJJ. He lost nearly half that in a year and a half of healthy eating and no other exercise than Jiu Jitsu. There's a lot of stories like that in the martial art. It's common. It's every day. You wouldn't know it unless you asked, and if you have the right diet, and willpower you too can lose weight like him. He's purple belt btw.

Just do BJJ. Don't be worried if your cardio is poor; BJJ will make you have good cardio (while having fun and not running on a treadmill). Don't worry if you're overweight, BJJ will make you lose it.

Just go to your local place and view a class. If it's something that interests you, ask for a free class.

Just remember that everyone starts as a beginner.

Just take the plunge, don't need to wait! I started at a chubby 215, and loved it since day 1. Hell there's a guy thats probably 300+? He told me the other night that he used to push almost 400.

Do not buy a gi before trying a class. Not a good idea if it's not your thing. It'd be a waste of 88 bucks. Also, there's a chance that if you do like BJJ, that the gi won't even fit. I'd suggest just going to the school and viewing a class from warm up to hand shake (beginning to end). Talk to the Professor (what we call black belt teachers in BJJ), ask about taking a free class if the class viewing impressed you, ask about gi's and see if they have a clean used gi for you to wear during your free class. When you wear the gi during practice class make note of its size. If it fits, go with that size. If it doesn't, just go with it for the duration of the free class anyways. After the free class, if you're satisfied with your first BJJ experience and wanna sign up, they'll likely have their own gi's for you to try on and will want to try to help you find an accommodating size. See if you find something that fits. If they're cheap get one then and there if possible. If they're not cheap, make note of the size and go online.

That's not a bad gi. I prefer blue gi's, myself. The blue version looks cool.

Do not buy a gi before trying a class. Not a good idea if it's not your thing. It'd be a waste of 88 bucks. Also, there's a chance that if you do like BJJ, that the gi won't even fit. I'd suggest just going to the school and viewing a class from warm up to hand shake (beginning to end). Talk to the Professor (what we call black belt teachers in BJJ), ask about taking a free class if the class viewing impressed you, ask about gi's and see if they have a clean used gi for you to wear during your free class. When you wear the gi during practice class make note of its size. If it fits, go with that size. If it doesn't, just go with it for the duration of the free class anyways. After the free class, if you're satisfied with your first BJJ experience and wanna sign up, they'll likely have their own gi's for you to try on and will want to try to help you find an accommodating size. See if you find something that fits. If they're cheap get one then and there if possible. If they're not cheap, make note of the size and go online.

That's not a bad gi. I prefer blue gi's, myself. The blue version looks cool.

oh for sure! I'm not buying now. just pricing stuff out.

I do like the blue!

I bought a Gi from my school right after my first class. I figured I'm more likely to stick with it if I've already put money down.

Also just be aware that judo gi's are generally heavier and thicker than BJJ ones. At least my brother in law who trained both, and has fought in a few pro MMA bouts told me when I started!

I bought one after my first class too.

I was worried Twisted was going to buy one before going to class! But in terms of pricing that's pretty good for a gi. The cheapest I've seen online are 50 dollars during sales.

EBI7 was last night. Going to view it this morning before I watch some EVO.

Cindi, where do you train and what competition are you prepping for? I trained for about two years. Got my blue belt. But I'm in NY and around here it costs anywhere from $150-$250 a month. I couldn't afford it anymore, which sucked because I had an amazing master and fellow students. I especially loved the no-gi classes.

As for my conditioning, I would run a mile everyday for cardio and do HIIT for 5 minutes (the length of a match at competitions). For strength training, I would do compound exercises like bench press, squat, row, and deadlift. The deadlifting in particular was useful because it also improved grip strength.

Anyways, thank you for this write up. I enjoy reading about the history of various forms of martial arts.

My instructor has a gi brand of very lightweight gis called Globetrotter Gis. They dry in half a day which is nice. They are illegal in tournaments though, due to their placement of patches;

http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/product-category/gis/

I actually don't own any yet! Im trying to wear down those I have so I can justify getting these! they look slick! They have the similar weight and thinness as kauai kimonos which also seem really nice. One of the few gis not made in pakistan; http://www.kauaikimonos.com/

But two of my favorites are;

Scramble is like Superdry of Martial Arts appeal. It's a British/Japanese mix. Clean, modern and with a good twist. They have some good products. I have a white a4 gi but it is too small for me; http://www.scramblestuff.com/

Datsusara is a brand made by a guy called Chris. He seems like the nicest guy. I made a review of one of his bags saying I loved it but a seam was loss. He sent me an email saying that if I sent it in to him he would find a replacement.. I've had the bag for 4 years! He closed his webshop during black friday because he doesn't wanna support gross consumer culture. I've only heard people speak highly of him. I have 3 pairs of his Hemp Board shorts with a mon crest. I love them! Highly recommend him; https://www.dsgear.com/ < My only problem is that buying from the states is some vicious prices. 25% VAT, and then local taxes on top plus shipping.

StMeph

My absolute favorite gis are Isami. Nothing else I've seen or used has come close.

Our team uses team-branded/patched Fuji gis and rashguards. The rashguards are great, and the gi is good, but the lapel is really thin/soft and easy to grip. Other than that the stitching/reinforcements and weight are pretty good.

i have the following for gi's:
-tatami
-red star
-koral
-vulkan
-manto

tatami and red star are my favs, koral is a solid comp gi but very heavy. so when weight is tight, not the best choice

Congrats! Thats a hell of an accomplishment. If you think about the work put in, it would probably be akin to the same level as a studying for a degree, if not more!

Thanks! Yea, it's crazy the amount of time it is when you look back at it. Wouldn't change a thing though

Such dedication. Hope I'm where you're at some day.

thanks! just keep showing up and you will continue to progress :)

Oh shit. BJJ thread. Good luck to all the n00bs starting or at the Blue belt level. I've been a black belt for almost a year now.

Have never regretted getting into martial arts in my life.

Feel free to ask me questions about stuff.

How do I be less shit at BJJ

You're probably better than you think if you're a blue belt. It's just that all the guys who came up with you progressed at the same speed so you don't feel like you got better. Purples and up still ragdoll you so you don't feel like you progressed that much either but we now have to work slightly harder.

If you go up against a Day 1 white belt however, you'll see how you can ragdoll him whereas previously, you guys were probably evenly matched.

Don't worry about that. It's hard to not think it, but try to compare yourself compared to when you started. We'll get there. We're just learning how to survive. Aren't you also a white belt?

Yeah I'm a white belt!! I can only dream of blue currently.

My big problem at the moment is I seem to do completely the wrong thing in whatever position I get into. Like, if I'm in someone guard, I tend to grab their lapels and go for a cross collar or Ezekiel but that just gets me swept, and really I should just be trying to pass guard, right?

If I ever manage to get someone in my guard 9 times out of 10 they just lie on top of me chest on chest and I can't shrimp out from under them. If I get them in my guard should I be looking to sweep them and go for full mount?

Rolling was good tonight tho even tho it was the hottest day of the year and I was dying all class. The more experienced guys subbed me as expected, but I tried relaxing and thinking, and I survived a full 5 minute round with a guy around my level. We went back and forth, I almost had a triangle, he almost cross collared me but I got out with a hip bump escape. In the last minute I was so exhausted I was almost ready to tap to tiredness, but I kept going til the bell. I'm pretty proud of that at least.

StMeph

My big problem at the moment is I seem to do completely the wrong thing in whatever position I get into. Like, if I'm in someone guard, I tend to grab their lapels and go for a cross collar or Ezekiel but that just gets me swept, and really I should just be trying to pass guard, right?

If I ever manage to get someone in my guard 9 times out of 10 they just lie on top of me chest on chest and I can't shrimp out from under them. If I get them in my guard should I be looking to sweep them and go for full mount?

I don't think there's much practical use in general (without knowing your situation)-yet-specific (to a position) instructions or tips for white belt. There's just too much information to absorb and you're learning as you go, so I would just say try to change your mentality:

1. Try to improve your position, from wherever you are.
2. If what you are doing is not working, try something new.

Breathe and be in control of yourself as you flow, and everything else (like subs or sweeps) will present themselves to you.

Yeah I'm a white belt!! I can only dream of blue currently.

Rolling was good tonight tho even tho it was the hottest day of the year and I was dying all class. The more experienced guys subbed me as expected, but I tried relaxing and thinking, and I survived a full 5 minute round with a guy around my level. We went back and forth, I almost had a triangle, he almost cross collared me but I got out with a hip bump escape. In the last minute I was so exhausted I was almost ready to tap to tiredness, but I kept going til the bell. I'm pretty proud of that at least.

What I've been doing is do the basics. So in that position I try to pass guard and try to variate to as many positions as possible to get comfortable with passing guard to different positions. So I might try out passing guard to side control or pass guard to a leg lock or maybe a cross collar.

When you are in someone's guard, the general rule is to not attack. Open their guard and pass, then you can try sub attempts.

If a lower belt even attempts to choke me while in my guard I'm arm barring them every time. Kinda like when someone puts their hand on the floor while in my guard, I'm gonna kimura that arm every time.

Position before submission!

Thanks guys! Yeah I just need to drill it into my head to not do stupid shit like chokes from in guard.
There really is so much to learn, it's overwhelming at times. I think Cindi you're right in trying to keep it as simple as possible. I kinda feel like I should just try and work on bread and butter submissions and if they present themselves great, if not just focus on defend, escape, reset.

As BJJ white belts we should remember we are learning a language. Much better to concentrate on words and how to make sounds than forming sentences. Take it slow and try to concentrate on basics even though trying to "win" or submit is tempting. Getting beaten over and over gets hard but we have to pay our dues and learn to get better.

There's so much to learn that trying to master it all at once is impossible. So I've been focusing on learning how to get out of bad situations so I can turn it into my favor. Position before submission is apt.

One thing that's helped me is asking my partners what I did wrong so I don't repeat it.

Cindi, where do you train and what competition are you prepping for? I trained for about two years. Got my blue belt. But I'm in NY and around here it costs anywhere from $150-$250 a month. I couldn't afford it anymore, which sucked because I had an amazing master and fellow students. I especially loved the no-gi classes..

Forgot about this. I train in Texas and am looking to participate in Dallas International Jiu Jitsu tournament. I might put it off and go to Newbreed instead. But I'm still aiming for the September tourney.

As BJJ white belts we should remember we are learning a language. Much better to concentrate on words and how to make sounds than forming sentences. Take it slow and try to concentrate on basics even though trying to "win" or submit is tempting. Getting beaten over and over gets hard but we bed to pay our dues and learn to get better.

There's so much to learn that trying to master it all at once is impossible. So I've been focusing on learning how to get out of bad situations so I can turn it into my favor. Position before submission is apt.

One thing that's helped me is asking my partners what I did wrong so I don't repeat it.

BJJ is definitely like learning a language. But the classroom is on fire. And your desk is on fire. Everything is on fire and youre in hell

heh theres actually a pretty inspiring thread on r/bjj about people struggling with training. I like this quote from it: "I guarantee that you currently would beat the ever-loving shit out of your former self". And its true. I manhandled that newbie last week, and hw useless he was, was exactly how i was in my first week. No idea what i was doing and got smashed in seconds. I still get smashed but i know im better than i was when i started.
But yeah i definitely dont look at rolls as "win or lose". Its just all a learning experience.

When you are in someone's guard, the general rule is to not attack. Open their guard and pass, then you can try sub attempts.

If a lower belt even attempts to choke me while in my guard I'm arm barring them every time. Kinda like when someone puts their hand on the floor while in my guard, I'm gonna kimura that arm every time.

Position before submission!

thanks man!

BJJ is definitely like learning a language. But the classroom is on fire. And your desk is on fire. Everything is on fire and youre in hell

heh theres actually a pretty inspiring thread on r/bjj about people struggling with training. I like this quote from it: "I guarantee that you currently would beat the ever-loving shit out of your former self". And its true. I manhandled that newbie last week, and hw useless he was, was exactly how i was in my first week. No idea what i was doing and got smashed in seconds. I still get smashed but i know im better than i was when i started.
But yeah i definitely dont look at rolls as "win or lose". Its just all a learning experience.

I feel you, but at the same time it's hard to not wanna submit someone. I guess we just need patience.

I think it's smart to recognize there will always be someone faster, smarter, bigger, stronger, more technical than us. Watched a black belt get choked out by another black belt last night and it was a good reminder. But it's also true in life, and we need to use these opportunities to be the best we can be.

Honestly, white belts shouldn't be focusing on submissions at all. Control and defense should be your priorities.

You guys don't really have offensive games to speak of and most of your subs will come on people less skilled than you are. I would echo that same advice to a lot of blue belts as well to be honest. At blue, your offensive game goes from "None of speak of" to "One dimensional and easily exploited".

Top Bottom