• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

I rolled with a black belt from Colorado today.

giphy.gif

Bear Flextor @ Genki Sudo might be my favorite fighter of all time. Now, he is. His fight against Butterbean is one of my favorites because it shows how crazy ridiculous early MMA was; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TkJcMZm6s
Sudo is also an amazing character and shows incredible sportsmanship. And I love his band World Order; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mkiGMtbrPM

Head control. He'd just make sure he was higher up than me and be in a D'arce. It obstructed my breathing. I rolled and scrambled and tried the best hook sweeps, but he just tired me out. I had 30 pounds on him, if not more. He was very fun to roll with. Very kind.
I feel I have these good hooks I can use to sweep many people, but guys at his level. He is so good at laying hard, that he became a lot heavier than he was. I've rolled with some insanely heavy guys who just didn't feel like that. And he did it without pressuring at all. I went 90% He went 30-40%. damn!!

Btw, I just saw this; https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...961683731/&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=video < Video is hard to watch. Two girls get into a vicious fight. They start punching each other, but one of them takes it to the ground. I'm shocked at.. It's weird that how in the heat of the moment people will just fight through a broken arm like that. you hear the snap. its possible the adrenaline was so high up.

Btw, I just saw this; https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...961683731/&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=video < Video is hard to watch. Two girls get into a vicious fight. They start punching each other, but one of them takes it to the ground. I'm shocked at.. It's weird that how in the heat of the moment people will just fight through a broken arm like that. you hear the snap. its possible the adrenaline was so high up.
I think about getting into self defense situations all the time. Yes, an arm bar won't stop an attacker. A heel hook will shred an attacker's knee though for sure. I, personally, would avoid inflicting damage on anyone and would prefer to choke an attacker unconscious.

I'm so bad at this sport I do wonder why I even turn up sometimes. Got guillotined by someone way less experienced than me. FML. I know it's win or learn, but that stung a bit.

I'm so bad at this sport I do wonder why I even turn up sometimes. Got guillotined by someone way less experienced than me. FML. I know it's win or learn, but that stung a bit.

There's a lot to learn when it comes to grappling. Some people find a thing they're good at quick and end up tapping everyone with it and it seems like they're better than you overall when they're actually just better than you at that one thing. In this case, guillotines. The trap with this though is that once you learn how to defend it, that guy who's gotten really good at guillotines might have holes in his game because he hasn't spent as much time working on them as he has his guillotines so now you have an advantage.

BJJ and grappling in general is not a skill. It's range of skills. It's akin to how a kid might be better at reading and writing than you but worse at math.

Class in an hour. Wish me luck. :)

Welp. I forgot there's a tournament today. Guess I'm going to a tourney to cheer on my friends and teammates. Was looking forward to some BJJ this morning too.

I was at a seminar with people from all over the world today. I just attended the open mat. It was excellent. Several really high level black belts!
I got destroyed. By the end, my arms was so weak, I couldn't even frame. This Wrestler dude from Flensburg, Germany just ended me. I'm just laying there for 5-10 minutes trying to stop the endless barrage of americanas, armlocks, arm triangle, guillotine chokes.
I took a shower, and just slept 8 hours. I feel a lot better, but it still hurts a lot.

I have vicious tennis elbow in both my arms. It's been a problem, and I have no idea how to fix it. Damn it>.<

I was at a seminar with people from all over the world today. I just attended the open mat. It was excellent. Several really high level black belts!
I got destroyed. By the end, my arms was so weak, I couldn't even frame. This Wrestler dude from Flensburg, Germany just ended me. I'm just laying there for 5-10 minutes trying to stop the endless barrage of americanas, armlocks, arm triangle, guillotine chokes.
I took a shower, and just slept 8 hours. I feel a lot better, but it still hurts a lot.

I have vicious tennis elbow in both my arms. It's been a problem, and I have no idea how to fix it. Damn it>.<
Learn better armbar defense bro. Easier said than done of course but once I learned several defenses and their concepts, my armbar defense improved greatly. Still sucks against high level guys but it's probably been a yr since I had a sore elbow.

Been learning loop chokes these weeks. Amazing how yrs ago I trained under a black belt who never taught us that choke cuz he always used it against his own students. He'd use it from the bottom, have guys in half guard lockdown, then loop choke their necks. I never understood the choke and always looked at that Professor as having superhuman old man strength. Now I train under someone else and realize it wasn't strength but all technique.

Looking back, my old Brazilian black belt professor was likely holding back and teaching techniques without all the details, to us lower belts at least. Maybe he thought we weren't ready or he kept details from us to have an edge against his younger students.

There's a lot to learn when it comes to grappling. Some people find a thing they're good at quick and end up tapping everyone with it and it seems like they're better than you overall when they're actually just better than you at that one thing. In this case, guillotines. The trap with this though is that once you learn how to defend it, that guy who's gotten really good at guillotines might have holes in his game because he hasn't spent as much time working on them as he has his guillotines so now you have an advantage.

BJJ and grappling in general is not a skill. It's range of skills. It's akin to how a kid might be better at reading and writing than you but worse at math.

Cheers for that man. Good to have insight from someone more experienced. To be honest I'm actually just glad I went. I can't help get nervous before class and I blew off training on Tuesday cause the nerves got the better of me. So just turning up was hard enough but I'm glad I did.

Cindy, hope you enjoyed your tournament!

This isn't my tournament. I went to go support though. We got a few medals. :) Mine is next month.

Speaking of black belts, I feel like a baby when I roll with one. That feeling they're holding back is apt and it's intimidating someone can do that to you without even going full power. Hell, the same is true for blue and purple belts, but black belts? Something about it. It has to be experienced first hand.

TTOOLL

This thread could be very helpful! I trained Judo for a year during college and I loved it. I had to stop because I didn't have time to attend practice and that was it. Now I have the time but my city has only Jiu Jitsu classes. I loved Judo mostly because of the throws, how are they in today's Jiu Jitsu?
I live in Brazil, btw.

This thread could be very helpful! I trained Judo for a year during college and I loved it. I had to stop because I didn't have time to attend practice and that was it. Now I have the time but my city has only Jiu Jitsu classes. I loved Judo mostly because of the throws, how are they in today's Jiu Jitsu?
I live in Brazil, btw.
Depends on the school's instructors. Today's Jiu jitsu honestly has more wrestling than judo because of the popularity of nogi.

I live in Brazil, btw.

Depends on the school. You'll have to tour different schools to see which brand of Jiu Jitsu they teach.

Did a bit of no-gi BJJ a few years ago when I practiced MMA. Had a nasty injury that made training a no-go and I kind of lost interest after rehabbing my foot, but it's been quite some time and I've been missing it. There's two BJJ places nearby where I live, one is Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu and the other is 10th Planet, which is a bit further away. They both offer additional martial arts like Muay Thai and Judo but I'm mostly looking to learn BJJ since that was my strength and what I enjoyed doing most.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I'm from England if that helps.

Did a bit of no-gi BJJ a few years ago when I practiced MMA. Had a nasty injury that made training a no-go and I kind of last interest after rehabbing my foot, but it's been quite some time and I've been missing it. There's two BJJ places nearby where I live, one is Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu and the other is 10th Planet, which is a bit further away. They both offer additional martial arts like Muay Thai and Judo but I'm mostly looking to learn BJJ since that was my strength and what I enjoyed doing most.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I'm from England if that helps.
GB BJJ will offer both gi and nogi while the 10th Planet gym will only offer nogi. It's really personal preference. I suggest you visit both and decide from there.

GB BJJ will offer both gi and nogi while the 10th Planet gym will only offer nogi. It's really personal preference. I suggest you visit both and decide from there.

I only have experience with no-gi but would prefer learning it the traditional way with gi, so I'll probably go with GB. I'll give both a try though, see where I click best. Thanks.

Cracklox

Lttp and all, but nice write up OP. Didn't know most of that.

I rolled at a school for a few monthes run by the first Australian to receive a Gracie black belt (Peter DeBeen) a few years back. I always had an appreciation for it since seeing early UFC stuff, but goddam it was harder then I thought it would be.

My last session I kept making the same mistake with the guy I was rolling with, and he kept putting me in the same choke. Must've tapped 8 or 9 times in a few minutes. That was disillusioning, as was practicing escaping full mount with brown belts who out weigh you by 20kgs....

One day i plan to return. Or recently I've toyed with the idea of training some Judo. The ground work there isn't quite as intensive and throws are fun

beast786

Leaving for Masters World tomorrow . Super excited.

As I catch up on this thread , I am guilty of Bjj over taking my life when it comes to training time. But, I don't talk about it to anyone outside my fellow Bjj . I actually like to keep it private for some reason

As I catch up on this thread , I am guilty of Bjj over taking my life when it comes to training time. But, I don't talk about it to anyone outside my fellow Bjj . I actually like to keep it private for some reason

Good luck! Which division and weight class are you fighting in?

I forgot to mention I learned something really new today. Probably not much of a difference but still new to me. Today my coach noticed that when I guard pass counter roll I put my left (or right) foot on their hip before lifting my leg up and roll them over from my guard. Well the day I learned that a few months ago, my prof and coach weren't there so we had a sub coach teach that day. Turns out I don't have to put my foot on their hip. She told me to just place my foot on the ground as I lift my leg into their arm. Then roll. It's way, way more smooth. Apparently how I was doing it before wasn't inherently "wrong" either but it's still neat and I prefer the corrected method more.

Tell me about it - I only have one BJJ T-shirt and I never wear it!

Good luck at the tourney. :) What belt group and weight class?

The day after BJJ and your neck/throat is a bit sore from being choked a billion times and your legs are sore because you had used closed guard on a 300 pound dude for a period of minutes. Suggestions on keeping closed guard on someone so large? I feel like I squatted a truck. I didn't go to the gym to lift today because I was so sore. I'll usually grab them so bring them closer to me and make it easier to wrap my legs around their torso, but with a guy that big and a weight advantage, I almost got massacred.

Okay, so I'm going to be rolling with the same guy probably today. I'm thinking the reason I'm getting exhausted is because of his size I'm freaking myself into thinking I need to be tighter, which is tensing muscles down in my legs and thighs, which is making me exhausted to the point where he practically bust through my guard. Today I'll try to ease it in more and try to concentrate on keeping him busy and ignore my guard, so I can ease it up on my muscles. That's my game plan. He likes to go for guard escapes. I'm visualizing a counter and submitting with a choke. I'm really, really fond of counters and escapes and today I want to practice what exactly I can do when successfully countering or escaping. In my head, I think can of a subs from on top. Or at least gain better positioning. I think I can get him into side control and maybe go for a choke if he tries to escape.

I want to get at least 3 subs today using a counter or an escape. I need to play to my advantage so I can work it in when I go to the tournament. Submissions and knowing when I can try to submit attempt are my weakness so I think I'll help kill two birds one stone today.

Good game plan Cindy. I'm going to try and work on just a couple of bread and butter moves while rolling for a while. I think sometimes you can get a little too much info from YouTube/Reddit etc and it just gets confusing.

Tho I've felt sick all day so I'm gonna have to swerve class tonight

You got submitted, or you submitted someone 6 times?? &#65533;&#65533;

I submitted someone six times!

My absolute best moment was intense. I had him on top in side control and he went for my arm that was placed on the mat where I was putting pressure. He tried to arm bar me. I put a stop to that, flattened him on his back with my body, and did a sneaky arm bar from side control. Tap. We start it up it again, he gets me in his guard, he knows I'm going to try to pass it, I fake him out. He wastes a movement thinking I'm going to go left, I guess correct and pass to the right and I get him into side control. It's a repeat of last time but now I finish him with a Jacare choke. Tap.

Heh! We're about the same level so he definitely tapped me a bunch too. We ended up rolling twice, though, so that number is definitely inflated due to it being from two rolls but I don't care. I'm sticking to it!

I'm trying to come up with a new schedule. I think four times a week would be a better schedule for me than five currently.

I'm thinking

Sunday - open mat in the afternoon
Monday - weight lifting in the morning
Tuesday - bjj fundamentals at night
Wednesday - weight lifting in the morning
Thursday - bjj in the morning
Friday - off or weight lifting in the morning, not sure
Saturday - bjj in the morning

I'm not sure if I should take off one day of strength training. I'm not sure if I should stick to three days a week for it or take a day off. I'm also nervous about going to class on Saturday and then going to open mat on Sunday. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe my body will adjust?

I've been off the mat for about two months because of a rib injury. Pretty sure I've forgotten everything I knew (not much to begin with) Also got this nagging fear that when I go back my rib will pop again straight off. I guess I have to overcome this obstacle on my way to the coral belt.

Or just give up forever, I'm 50/50.

Heh! We're about the same level so he definitely tapped me a bunch too. We ended up rolling twice, though, so that number is definitely inflated due to it being from two rolls but I don't care. I'm sticking to it!

I'm trying to come up with a new schedule. I think four times a week would be a better schedule for me than five currently.

I'm thinking

Sunday - open mat in the afternoon
Monday - weight lifting in the morning
Tuesday - bjj fundamentals at night
Wednesday - weight lifting in the morning
Thursday - bjj in the morning
Friday - off or weight lifting in the morning, not sure
Saturday - bjj in the morning

I'm not sure if I should take off one day of strength training. I'm not sure if I should stick to three days a week for it or take a day off. I'm also nervous about going to class on Saturday and then going to open mat on Sunday. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe my body will adjust?

Rest days are important. I would definitely have at the very least one day of doing nothing in there. You also don't want to get burned out. BJJ is hard on the body as you know, best to have some time to heal up. I've been nursing at least some kind of low level pain pretty much constantly since starting BJJ lol.

I've been off the mat for about two months because of a rib injury. Pretty sure I've forgotten everything I knew (not much to begin with) Also got this nagging fear that when I go back my rib will pop again straight off. I guess I have to overcome this obstacle on my way to the coral belt.

Rib injuries fucking suck. I had an instructor in a TJJ class last year sweep me and he placed his entire bodyweight on me by kneeling on my ribs. It hurt to breathe for about 2 weeks. Nothing you can do but let it heal, maybe get an MRI to see if it's torn cartilage too.

Sometimes I really do wonder how I'm still even doing BJJ given how fucking hard this is! I swear me from like 2011 was so out of shape and lazy and afraid of any kind of challenge would have quit this shit after the intro class.

Rest days are important. I would definitely have at the very least one day of doing nothing in there. You also don't want to get burned out. BJJ is hard on the body as you know, best to have some time to heal up. I've been nursing at least some kind of low level pain pretty much constantly since starting BJJ lol.

For sure. It's why I'm going with four instead of five. I'm not sure whether or to skip class on Saturday and just come to open mat or go to both. I've never done bjj two days in a row before.

If only there were eight days in a week!

Rib injuries sound so painful. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Do you still go to class and watch even though you're on the sidelines?

Sometimes I really do wonder how I'm still even doing BJJ given how fucking hard this is! I swear me from like 2011 was so out of shape and lazy and afraid of any kind of challenge would have quit this shit after the intro class.

Not sure about you but it's fun as hell to me. I think I picked the right martial art for my needs. It has helped me grow so much just this year alone. Like you, I'm shocked I'm still here but I think at the end of day I see it as a learning experience. Getting crushed and demolished doesn't feel good, and after class I'm exhausted but, as soon as I leave I've got a smile on my face every single time. I genuinely love doing it even though it's hard.

Also, I feel like it's an obligation because of my team mates. I haven't even competed yet I still view them as team mates and like family. We all respect each other if we've shown we're willing to stick with it, and I think it makes us all grow a little closer. I'm really friendly with my coach and we text each other and I ask for her advice and we're just friends even outside of BJJ. I guess the point is that even though it's hard as shit, I feel like I belong there. It's not something I can say about any other martial art or sport I've ever done.

Not sure about you but it's fun as hell to me. I think I picked the right martial art for my needs. It has helped me grow so much just this year alone. Like you, I'm shocked I'm still here but I think at the end of day I see it as a learning experience. Getting crushed and demolished doesn't feel good, and after class I'm exhausted but, as soon as I leave I've got a smile on my face every single time. I genuinely love doing it even though it's hard.

Also, I feel like it's an obligation because of my team mates. I haven't even competed yet I still view them as team mates and like family. We all respect each other if we've shown we're willing to stick with it, and I think it makes us all grow a little closer. I'm really friendly with my coach and we text each other and I ask for her advice and we're just friends even outside of BJJ. I guess the point is that even though it's hard as shit, I feel like I belong there. It's not something I can say about any other martial art or sport I've ever done.

It's definitely fun! And yeah when I leave class I generally feel great. Seriously the last time I subbed someone after such a long, hard roll was one of the most exhilarating moments I've ever had. Literally right up there with moments of pure adrenaline rush I've had like when I played a really great gig with my old band back in the day (if you're a musician and you've ever played a really fucking great gig you know just what a rush it is!!)

Rib injuries sound so painful. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Do you still go to class and watch even though you're on the sidelines?

I haven't been unfortunately, I've mostly been watching videos to try and stay somewhat in the loop. It sucked because I had just bought a gi (I was no gi since I had started) and I didn't even get to wear it. Plus I was thinking of upping my classes but that was thrown out the window because of the injury.

I'm determined to get back to it. Just know that if I rush it I'll be back to square one. Ribs are weird to heal but I can pretty much breathe without pain now. And if I sneeze I don't cry anymore so; progress! Appreciate the best wishes guys.

Heal completely. Did they say how long it's taken to heal?

It's definitely fun! And yeah when I leave class I generally feel great. Seriously the last time I subbed someone after such a long, hard roll was one of the most exhilarating moments I've ever had. Literally right up there with moments of pure adrenaline rush I've had like when I played a really great gig with my old band back in the day (if you're a musician and you've ever played a really fucking great gig you know just what a rush it is!!)

I used to play music but honestly I've never gotten an adrenaline rush like it. It's something really new to me. And I know exactly what you mean about having that great submission set up during a long roll.

Heal completely. Did they say how long it's taken to heal?

No timetable! Which is really annoying. I've been to a physio a few times and he just said rest and no contact sports whatsoever. I feel better after he stretches me out and it is somewhat improved so I hope for another week off then back to it.

And the heal completely part is absolutely right, I was dumb and kept at it even though my ribs hurt. I made it worse and got a legit pop/crack or whatever. Harsh lesson learned, try and tough it out and I'll lose more time overall. My coach was on Facebook today too saying he had no one coming for the evening class, I would've loved to take advantage of that and have a one on one lesson.

Top Bottom