• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

beast786

So I took 2nd in master world.

A little disappointed as I was under using kiss of dragon got behind and instead of taking my time created a scramble and lost.

Regardless great exp. and still feel achomolished

Not sure about everyone else's histories but I find this inspiring.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jitsu-master/

It's a good article and I can relate a bit to it. I was never athletic and like the author got bullied off the football team when I was a kid and then decided "fuck sports". Never did any exercise or sports from that day on.
It was only when I saw how heavy id gotten a few years back in my wedding photos I decided to do something about it. If you'd told me even back then, 5 years ago, when I couldn't run 10 minutes without wanting to die, couldn't do a single chin up, that in a few years time I'd be able to run a 10k, be going to the gym more often than I go to the pub, and learning that BJJ stuff I used to see in the UFC, I really would have laughed at you.

How did it get injured?

Originally it was because a really heavy dude just lay on me with all his weight and I turned a bit quickly, immediate pain. Ok, I'll carry on, I swept him etc stayed on top. Bit sore but I stayed training. Then I couldn't really get up from lying down without a serious struggle. Took a couple of weeks off and went back even though it wasn't healed. This time someone squeezed me, no blame on this guy at all it was just usual stuff, and a loud pop/crack. I STILL finished the class even though I could hardly breathe. So yeah then I was in a car accident. I decided then to stay indoors until I was completely healed.

I was starting to get a bit confident as well, really enjoyed going along after months of being killed. Oh well. Soon. (maybe)

It's a good article and I can relate a bit to it. I was never athletic and like the author got bullied off the football team when I was a kid and then decided "fuck sports". Never did any exercise or sports from that day on.
It was only when I saw how heavy id gotten a few years back in my wedding photos I decided to do something about it. If you'd told me even back then, 5 years ago, when I couldn't run 10 minutes without wanting to die, couldn't do a single chin up, that in a few years time I'd be able to run a 10k, be going to the gym more often than I go to the pub, and learning that BJJ stuff I used to see in the UFC, I really would have laughed at you.

Right?! I tried getting into sports as a kid and the only one that spoke to my heart was basketball. I never ended up trying for the team because I didn't think I could make the team in school. I'd play it recreationally though but always had that "not good enough" mentality due to bad prior experiences. I remember being on a baseball team and it just never worked for me. My dad wanted me to be into sports because he was good at them. Now I realize I probably could have gotten good at them if I stuck with it but felt too self conscious. Plus, I was a kid. I was more interested in Mario or Sonic than fucking baseball. I was a skinny kid but a fat teenager.

By the time I was 16 really hard physical activity was a challenge. One day ten years later I'm sitting there and just say I'm sick of it, look up diets, and make a change. It was Muay Thai that oushed me into realizing that maybe the reason I didn't like exercise in the past was because I never found something I found fun. I mean basketball was fun but not to the point where I wanted to truly work over it. Few years later I'm average BMI and I'm amazed every time I go to BJJ class and can manage to get through warm ups (jog around dojo, shrimps, jumping jacks, walking squats, break falls, backward rolls, 25 squats, 25 push ups;etc) like it's nothing. Or being able to deadlift 175 pounds. Or the ability to snap someone's arm but not really wanting to. Or the fact I can put someone to sleep without much force. If I had I told teenage me I'd be doing this shit I'd think I'd have gained super powers because it's clearly the only way I'd be doing any of that stuff. Having a six pack alone is something that makes me smile every day I wake up.

Anyone catch the UFC tonight? Both Pettis and Maia were exceptional on the ground. Maia even gave the "Jiu Jitsu Nation" a shout out in his post fight. It's performances like these two that get people walking into their local bjj gyms.

Anyone catch the UFC tonight? Both Pettis and Maia were exceptional on the ground. Maia even gave the "Jiu Jitsu Nation" a shout out in his post fight. It's performances like these two that get people walking into their local bjj gyms.

Read about Maia getting him to tap in the first round. Crazy. You hear lots of stuff about sports BJJers not being able to make it in mma so it's interesting hear/read about. Unfortunately I work Saturday nights now so I haven't caught it.

What did Pettis end up doing on the ground?

Oh wow. Pettis. Get em.

https://streamable.com/k3ae

Also, I had been watching the BJJ Scout analysis videos before the fight anyways so I figured it'd go that way.

If you missed the Scout analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKW5lR8yG4s

BJJ Scout has been a big part of helping me understand Jiu Jitsu even more than I do now by pointing out close details. Of course doing BJJ makes watching MMA feel like High Definition compared Standard Definition when watching it before, but channels like BJJ Scout really up the ante.

BJJ Scout is amazing. Dude predicted how the Condit fight would break down. Watching Scout's videos on Leandro Lo completely changed my passing game.

2:23 on that Maia analysis: perfectly executed side control. Maintains positioning despite the pressure and pushes his opponent nicely to the ground. Amazing grip strength especially you consider there are no gi's.

Sunday is probably my favorite day now because of open mat. I get to review techniques and drill new ideas. I'm surrounded my upper belts who help me on my technique. Having access to multiple black belts is so helpful. Then I get to roll with them and get demolished and ask what I did wrong. It's a always a learning experience but it's the experience of the week. Just socializing and helping each other get better.

Today I wanted to work on my kimura submissions. The kimura was the first submission I ever learned. I learned it on my second class. So I'm a bit attached to it and want to get it up to par. It's by far my best sub and hanging out with upper belts is really helping me improve it and get down all the small details.

Doing BJJ two days in a row surprisingly wasn't a big deal. My body is as fit as a whistle and I feel excellent. No soreness at all. I'm lucky about that and should cherish it. Looks like I'm doing Jiu Jitsu four times a week now.

Finally back to class tonight. Got smashed. As usual lol.

Edit

One ray of light in all the whuppings I took however was I managed to sweep a 4 stripe white belt. Shortly before he tapped me haha. I'm happy enough with that!!

Got my first gi lesson this Thursday. Thought it was Wednesday but I misread the schedule and if I had gone to it I'd be getting worked in a black belt class. Doubt they would have let me participate but it's a good thing I double checked. I'm really excited to get into it.

Holy Fuck there is so much you can do with a double wrist lock from side control.

Tell me about it. Side control in general is my favorite position. Wrist locks, lapel chokes, arm bars, arm locks, putting weight and pressure on them, chokes. Suffice to say, I've worked hard on side control escapes because I don't want to be in the reverse lol. Easily my best submission position.

Finally back to class tonight. Got smashed. As usual lol.

Edit

One ray of light in all the whuppings I took however was I managed to sweep a 4 stripe white belt. Shortly before he tapped me haha. I'm happy enough with that!!

What kind of sweep?

Fox318

My favorite position. Wanna try reaching out and throw out your arm? Kimura. Try to lift me off? I'm going to put more pressure and try to choke you. Hand in the right position? Arm lock. I love it. Suffice to say, I've worked hard on side control escapes because I don't want to be in the reverse lol. Easily my best submission position.

What kind of sweep?

my school is a catch as catch can gym and man there are some nasty transitions to almost every position.

my school is a catch as catch can gym and man there are some nasty transitions to almost every position.

I know right? So much to learn and I just have to follow the basics to not get overwhelmed or else my head will explode with the amount of techniques and transitions.

Tell me about it. Side control in general is my favorite position. Wrist locks, lapel chokes, arm bars, arm locks, putting weight and pressure on them, chokes. Suffice to say, I've worked hard on side control escapes because I don't want to be in the reverse lol. Easily my best submission position.

What kind of sweep?

Pretty much just an upa, similar to this:

https://youtu.be/nRhXGDRXsvI

I think I was so shocked to suddenly find myself on top that I was like "wow, did that just work? Nah it couldn't have!" and then he armbar'd me lol

I love sweep counters that put me on top. I like escapes more than subs. They're so fucking cool. Any sweep where I'm rolling me and my partner in one singular motion is my favorite. They're so fun. I think I learned one my third class. I was laughing while being rolled over. I couldn't help it. It was so fun. I think that was the night Jiu Jitsu caught me by the hooks!

Anyone have any go to nogi submissions from mount? Its my best control position, but I feel so ineffective from there. I usually would rather let them roll a bit and try to take their back rather than maintain mount

Anyone have any go to nogi submissions from mount? Its my best control position, but I feel so ineffective from there. I usually would rather let them roll a bit and try to take their back rather than maintain mount
Head and arm choke aka arm triangle. Arm bar or inverted triangle is also an option. Or just hop to side mount if you're more comfortable.

I feel you. I went, but could only drill. Did something to my shoulder and it's sore as shit. The funny thing is I think I hurt it in the regular gym as opposed to BJJ.

I usually go when I'm sore. After the first few months my body adjusted. But today's soreness is too much and I didn't think I could ever properly still. With competition coming up trying to avoid injury.

mujun

As camajise said, arm triangle. That's what I usually use from the mount as I'm hopeless at armbars. I also like to threaten with a choke (not sure of the name) which is basically like a rear naked choke (forearms crossed over chest) but from the front. It's hard to lock in but creates openings. I could be wrong but you can also do a sort of guillotine from mount though you have to be pretty high.

I started at a new gym this week. My previous gym unfortunately shut it's doors only after 14 months due to lack of capital and poor management.

At my old place we'd have classes that lasted 2-2.5 hrs long. I'd only train 2-3 times a week because of it as I needed a day of rest in between classes. In that long class we'd go over around 3-4 related techniques.

My new gym has multiple morning, day, and evening classes which is great but classes are never longer than 60 minutes with only 1-2 techniques shown. Good news is the schedule allows me to take 4-6 classes a week.

Sucks that I'll miss my old instructor and many training partners, but it's all a part of my Jiu jitsu journey and I welcome it.

Anyone read this? I'm sure a few have. Ordered it recently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0981504434/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Bought it 4-5 yrs ago when I started bjj. Great book that really put me in the right mindset; defense first. The submissions will come over time but if I learn the basic defenses and understand positioning then I will be able to hang longer with higher level belts.

Eventually though, you then figure out how the book only touches a small portion of jiu jitsu and how every technique can be broken down and dissected in different ways which is what makes bjj so damn addictive.

I started at a new gym this week. My previous gym unfortunately shut it's doors only after 14 months due to lack of capital and poor management.

At my old place we'd have classes that lasted 2-2.5 hrs long. I'd only train 2-3 times a week because of it as I needed a day of rest in between classes. In that long class we'd go over around 3-4 related techniques.

My new gym has multiple morning, day, and evening classes which is great but classes are never longer than 60 minutes with only 1-2 techniques shown. Good news is the schedule allows me to take 4-6 classes a week.

Sucks that I'll miss my old instructor and many training partners, but it's all a part of my Jiu jitsu journey and I welcome it.

I'm going to miss my prof and coaches and teammates when I leave. :(

More options is good. That schedule before sounds insane. Was it some ATOS affiliate or something? Christ. None of the gals and guys from the other place didn't go to the one you're at? Closing doors after only two years is a raw deal.

Defense sounds like my plan all along. I've concentrated on escapes and defense more than anything and it's paying off so far. I often struggle knowing when to pull the trigger and submit but I'm getting there. Looking forward to the book.

I'm going to miss my prof and coaches and teammates when I leave. :(

More options is good. That schedule before sounds insane. Was it some ATOS affiliate or something? Christ. None of the gals and guys from the other place didn't go to the one you're at? Closing doors after only two years is a raw deal.
2 teammates followed me, maybe more later. Former instructor is a Cobrihna brown belt.

Read the sample provided via Kindle and...this is amazing. A lot of it is information I already (particularly surviving, but the way he so eloquently states his observations and all of the pictures) is great. I do tend to equate survival with escapes, though...

1-2 SURVIVAL AS THE FOUNDATION OF GRACIE JIU-JITSU

It is important to realize that survival is the aspect that brings us closest to the founder of jiu-jitsu, Helio Gracie (See Case Study 1.0). Due to his smaller stature, Helio was forced to learn how to survive against much larger and stronger opponents. Realizing that he would not be able to out-muscle these opponents, Helio instead looked for ways to survive. He was aware that it took much less energy to thwart his opponents’ advances than it took to escape. His goal was simple, he may not win the fight, but he would not die. He would definitely survive. The result of Helio’s adaptations was astonishing; by focusing on the use of leverage as a tool for survival, Helio Gracie evolved jiu-jitsu into an art that could benefit a smaller person in a fight against a much larger opponent.

1-3 SURVIVAL POSITIONING

I am going to tell you something that goes against the current dogma of jiu-jitsu instruction. Survival is not based on escaping submissions; it is about putting yourself into a position where you do not need to use muscle to protect yourself. If it were based solely on escaping the submission, then how could we expect Helio Gracie at 130 pounds to be able to escape the tightest armlock or the deepest choke? Survival is about assuming a position that impedes your opponent’s offense, eliminating the chance of his submission. It is about changing the situation to one that favors the defensive player. In doing so, you force your opponent out of his comfort area. As a result, all of his actions become predictable because as he fights for offense from an uncomfortable position there are only certain movements he can make. Survival is not about escaping, but it becomes easier to escape when you can get to a stronger defensive position that forces your opponent into an awkward one. Technically speaking, you have to master every defensive aspect of a position, for example, hiding your elbows for protection, getting to your side to create the proper angle, and, if necessary, preventing the cross face to inhibit being controlled. You also have to be able to execute them all at once. I cannot overstate the importance of this. If you fail to become comfortable doing all these things at once, you will be at the mercy of your opponent. The key to mastering all these aspects is being able to feel what it is your opponent wants. Intuition is vital to your survival, and it will take a considerable amount of time to develop. To return to the question: How could Helio, or anyone for that matter, escape the deepest choke? The answer is to first seek to avoid the position completely. Of course students need to train, learn submission defense, and get caught several times, and this will occur naturally throughout their involvement in jiu-jitsu, but they must also realize that the best defense is the one that avoids the danger altogether. For example, if I get stuck in a deep triangle position, the longer I remain caught, the less likely it is that I will escape. Even with the knowledge of many triangle escapes, I am still reacting to my opponent and this places him in control of the situation. In the end, my best defense may be to tap. This is why all students need to know how to use positioning to avoid the submission.

Ribeiro, Saul; Howell, Kevin. Jiu-Jitsu University (Kindle Locations 438-447). Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Not exactly, no.

Nah, he's right.

I roll with MMA fighters and sport BJJ guys on a pretty regular basis and I can instantly tell what type of style a guy rolls with based on how he rolls with me.

A lot of sport BJJ guys are very technical but they concede top position way too easily and are very reluctant to stand. MMA guys on the other hand are the opposite - they will try their damndest to stay on top even in a pure grappling context. A roll with them feels like more of a fight and you have to push yourself a bit more and develop techniques that specifically deal with their physicality. Also, positional theory changes based on what rule set you're training for and the time limit.

I was training a guy to do a 20 minute no-gi sub only match and it's pretty much an entirely different sport from a guy training to win a medal at an IBJJF gi tournament. There are a lot of rulesets that I suck at and can probably be beaten by a good lower belt - purple probably. I can hold my own in an IBJJF no gi tourney but I'm probably never gonna medal at one of those because I don't like the ruleset or the style they promote.

Nah, he's right.

I roll with MMA fighters and sport BJJ guys on a pretty regular basis and I can instantly tell what type of style a guy rolls with based on how he rolls with me.

A lot of sport BJJ guys are very technical but they concede top position way too easily and are very reluctant to stand. MMA guys on the other hand are the opposite - they will try their damndest to stay on top even in a pure grappling context. A roll with them feels like more of a fight and you have to push yourself a bit more and develop techniques that specifically deal with their physicality. Also, positional theory changes based on what rule set you're training for and the time limit.

I was training a guy to do a 20 minute no-gi sub only match and it's pretty much an entirely different sport from a guy training to win a medal at an IBJJF gi tournament. There are a lot of rulesets that I suck at and can probably be beaten by a good lower belt - purple probably. I can hold my own in an IBJJF no gi tourney but I'm probably never gonna medal at one of those because I don't like the ruleset or the style they promote.

I didn't mean that at all. There's a clear difference between sport bjj and mma guys. I only meant no in that I wasn't only referencing to modern bjj as sport bjj. The Rolls video I linked was just an example of how much bjj had changed in nearly 30 years and is closer to what we practice today. There are certainly different styles, but the crux of my post had nothing to do with sports bjj and the videos I referenced happened before the IBJJF even existed.

But I do agree there's a difference between mma guys and bjj guys. Although I'm inexperienced, I roll with people who train mma and sports bjj at my gym. My place is actually an mma gym, so I end up with best of both worlds with lots of people with completely different goals - some want to use the bjj to catipult them into mma easier and balance between it and Muay (or wrestling), others like me are strictly training in bjj. And rolling with the mma guys is completely a different experience. This is especially true in no gi classes.

I'm not saying there's not different styles in modern bjj. I'm only highlighting the evolution of the art in a thirty year time span.

Maia is very strong. Look at this crank. Look. At. It.

giphy.gif

NECK CRANKS ARE SCARY.

Is there a way out of them?

I am not sure. At the point in this gif it's already so far in, than I don't think anything other than a desperate scramble could save you. But even then;

1) They are up against the cage. Maia has added power and stability from being supported.

2) Maias right leg is hooked over his body like in a body triangle. Forward rolling or cranby rolling is impossible.

3) Maias left leg is pinching his arm. Notice how he can barely do anything but touch Maias gablegrip lightly. This shows very high level of skill. A lesser fighter would have gone for both hooks and to stretch him out flat driving him forward. In that case, the other fight might have been able to "swim" his arm in to his neck underneath the crank. But alas he cannot do it because maias leg is blocking.

RNC style back attacks are among the most deadly in all of MMA. It is a cardinal sin to have your back taken in any form of grappling. In a normal grappling match it is fucked, but the way it's set up here just makes it so much more scary.

Personally, with RNCs the luck I've had the most with is a turtle style escape where I try to drive their weight forward. I cannot roll, but if I can off balance them by going into a low turtle, what usually happen is that they fall "over" and their forehead touches the mat. as they touch the mad they almost always let go. I assume its hard for them to retain position. I've noticed rolling with higher belts is that they usually let go before this happen and start attacking something else. I think its an escape simply because it doesnt get more dangerous than with your head in.

USATSI_7086280-300x356.jpg

Ronda almost got neck cranked from a similar position against Carmouche. If she had gone for a regular RNC instead of cranking the neck like in the above picture, I think Ronda might not have been able to brush her off so easily. I could be wrong but I feel with RNC you hold on a little bit better.

But honestly, I don't know what I am talking about. I have no real knowledge of neck cranks. I've only done them in jest or tapped to them. We don't do them in our gym!

Question to all of you; Do you practice neck cranks in your gym? Calf slicers? bicep slicers? electric chair? heel hooks? can opener? crucifix?

The only out I can think of is gaining better positioning. Maia's leg is in between and if you try to stand up he could attempt a sweep or takedown and go back to his neck crank but it seems the only real counter from where I'm seeing. You'd have to get off ground, but more importantly get him off top, which is the biggest advantage. Maybe once you're standing you can attempt a hip toss. All this while experiencing a fucking neck crank so you'd have to have some guts to try it. Plus the amount of energy spent would be enormous. I have no fucking clue. I wouldn't try to turtle because then they could get further on top and on my back as he gets the mount. Doesn't feel like it'd put me in a better position. Notice how they're almost on the ground. Would it be possible to get Maia on the ground with you on top? Sure, he'd probably still be doing that neck crank. And maybe he'd put you in a guard but it seems better than being in the position in that gif. Maybe you could go for a leg lock with Maia's exposed leg?

As for your question, we do crucifixes, heel hooks, and calf slicers. Knee bars in more advanced classes so far. Not sure about the others. They probably do those in the advanced BJJ class. No one has done those to me in open mat or non BJJ fundamentals classes. So I'm not exactly sure.

Is it normal to be scared/nervous before doing bjj? Months in and I still get the butterflies and self conscious before going. Does it ever stop? It always leaves as soon as I get on the mats but the drive to the school is always stressful for whatever reason and it takes a lot of my guts to open those doors and step in. But as soon as I'm inside I feel better.

Is it normal to be scared/nervous before doing bjj? Months in and I still get the butterflies and self conscious before going. Does it ever stop? It always leaves as soon as I get on the mats but the drive to the school is always stressful for whatever reason and it takes a lot of my guts to open those doors and step in. But as soon as I'm inside I feel better.

I think it's a normal reaction. A million years of evolution and self preservation instincts are telling you "you could get hurt here! Just go home instead!". At least that's how it seems to me. I get nervous as shit about 2 hours before class. Every instinct telling me to find an excuse to not go.
I've read purple belts saying the same. All you can do is remind yourself that you could get hurt just as easily lifting weights, crossing the road, or any other daily task.

I think it's a normal reaction. A million years of evolution and self preservation instincts are telling you "you could get hurt here! Just go home instead!". At least that's how it seems to me. I get nervous as shit about 2 hours before class. Every instinct telling me to find an excuse to not go.
I've read purple belts saying the same. All you can do is remind yourself that you could get hurt just as easily lifting weights, crossing the road, or any other daily task.

The excuse thing is so true.

"I'm going to get my ass kicked anyways, why bother?"
"My kimura is up to par. I can skip today."
"I admit it. I'm scared. That's reason enough, right?"

Then I get in my car, gulp my pride down with some water, and drive to the gym.

Rolled with three guys today during open mat. Two were full intensity. By full intensity I mean having the opportunity to use nothing but defense. I was sweating like a pig. Oink, oink. I'm at work now and exhausted. I think I might fall sleep any minute...

One positive. Today I got a kid while in my guard when he put his hands on the mat. Instant arm bar. Any tips against blue belts??

Oh. And besides my kimura the other sub I've been working on is my triangle. My thighs are my biggest muscle probably so it really compliments my style and body. How do I balance drilling my submissions and using it them in a roll while still wanting to iron out and work on that defense?

Top Bottom