• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

daveo42

Banned
Finally finished Door 2:
Wasn't nearly as invested in most of the chapter until things started moving toward the back half with Pauline. I saw her being the "other beast" from a mile away and the fact that it was here lover Yukimasa was the beast from the beginning wasn't as big a shock as the reveal from door 1.

Already loving the feel of Door 3 significantly more and it just started. Also,
fuck Jacopo.

Kalor

Door 4/post door 4:
The maid said that this door was different but I wasn't expecting how different it would be. I happened to open the backlog at some point and saw the new dialogue that was put in there so I was opening that during the whole door to make sure I didn't miss anything. Then the post door happened. I went down the reclaim yourself path and now I'm not sure whats going on. At first I thought that the maid would be the witch and You be The White Haired Girl but now they've said that the witch is someone else, You just happen to look like The White Haired Girl and the maid is Giselle. I'm glad that my initial guesses about the characters were wrong because it's more fun when you don't figure stuff out early on.

Dee Dee

I finished the game yesterday night.
The ending was the most cathartic thing.
I'm so glad it ended the way it did.

Ending spoilers:

What a ride though. I worked hard for this! I ended up with two bad ends along the way. The first being ending 4 because I had the game on auto-scroll and missed the timer on the hesitation choice.
The second because I thought I'd do the gentlemanly thing and accompanied Maria back to the brothel. That was a bit of a random dumb choice to lead you into death. I learned nothing from that. Anyway.

AFTER I finished and unlocked the concert hall I realized the songs were in Portuguese. I figured they'd be in a fantasy language with random latin thrown in. I'm dumb, and apologized to my Portuguese friend, who said the singer is clearly Brazilian with a heavy accent. She liked what I played her of the OST though, naturally!

The game did quite some numbers on me. I was very confused how the Lord would be redeemed, and the twist that "he was the slave all along, shocking!" was a bit lost on me. That was the only thing that didn't sit quite right with me, I was on board for literally everything else however.

I'm so happy this game is ultimately a story about forgiving / overcoming / acceptance / letting go as much as it is about abuse, being misunderstood, and the fate of your blood ties and family. That's why I'm glad that all souls were freed and nothing left behind. I'm so glad it's about speaking out and the gift of sharing your story.

I cried hardest at the end when everyone got to apologize to the ones they hurt. Michel getting to confront his brothers was the most wonderful thing. I had so hoped he would be able to learn about their deep regret and their acknowledgement of their wrong doings. Best part.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I finished the game yesterday night.
The ending was the most cathartic thing.
I'm so glad it ended the way it did.

Ending spoilers:

What a ride though. I worked hard for this! I ended up with two bad ends along the way. The first being ending 4 because I had the game on auto-scroll and missed the timer on the hesitation choice.
The second because I thought I'd do the gentlemanly thing and accompanied Maria back to the brothel. That was a bit of a random dumb choice to lead you into death. I learned nothing from that. Anyway.

AFTER I finished and unlocked the concert hall I realized the songs were in Portuguese. I figured they'd be in a fantasy language with random latin thrown in. I'm dumb, and apologized to my Portuguese friend, who said the singer is clearly Brazilian with a heavy accent. She liked what I played her of the OST though, naturally!

The game did quite some numbers on me. I was very confused how the Lord would be redeemed, and the twist that "he was the slave all along, shocking!" was a bit lost on me. That was the only thing that didn't sit quite right with me, I was on board for literally everything else however.

I'm so happy this game is ultimately a story about forgiving / overcoming / acceptance / letting go as much as it is about abuse, being misunderstood, and the fate of your blood ties and family. That's why I'm glad that all souls were freed and nothing left behind. I'm so glad it's about finding speaking out and the gift of sharing your story.

I cried hardest at the end when everyone got to apologize to the ones they hurt. Michel getting to confront his brothers was the most wonderful thing. I had so hoped he would be able to learn about their deep regret and their acknowledgement of their wrong doings. Best part.

I don't think the lord was redeemed really. The swordsman really wasn't either.

Morgana just chose to move on. I think it's an important distinction.

T-Rex.

Banned
Door two
alright I'm dumb and didn't really see that twist coming. I guess I didn't see it coming cos I readily believed that it was, in fact, a beast since I'm not too sure on how supernatural we're gonna get. There's the whole mystery with the white haired girl showing up again, and Schrödinger's Maid, so I'm pretty much swallowing whatever info I'm being fed so it was nice being deceived like that. Didn't find it to be as interesting as door one though.

daveo42

Banned
Middle of Door 3, right after
you find out about the history between Jacopo and Maria
I kind of guessed it early on, but
goddammit Maria! You playing a girl like that to get your way with Jacopo! Fucking Bitch! All that divorce talk, setting the White Haired Girl up like that and turning Jacopo against her for your own fucking gains. FUCK YOU.

Edit:
Holy shit she's just there to tear him and his family down? Goddamn. You one heartless bitch Maria

Man...I kind of wish I hadn't seen it coming and things moved in a different direction.

Slashlen

End:
The last door may be the best door, it's like they took all the other doors and condensed it into one story. The Giselle/Michel back and forth is probably the best of the lighthearted content, post-rescue Morgana is really good too.

I really liked the lord/slave twist. It's one of those things where I originally didn't think about how the old lord's behavior wasn't actually consistent with how Jacopo acted in his story. Jacopo originally seems like an ass who doesn't care about anyone but is really this coward who worries about being seen as weak, and lets things get completely out of hand because of it. The old lord's treatment of Morgana is clearly sadistic, but even in the early parts of Jacopo's story he never seemed to take that kind of joy in his behaivor, he was more angry than anything else. One of my favorite things about the twists in this game is that they usually put in minor inconsistencies that you probably missed and then fix them with the twist.

I also really liked the backstage section after the main game, it manages to break the 4th wall hard while basically keeping everyone in character. I guess something happened to the sequel thing they teased at the end of it?

Unfortunately, we never find out whether or not Michel got a dick in the end.

Overall: Excellent game, I recommend it to anyone looking for a great story in a VN. Thanks again to Selane for the game.

daveo42

Banned
End of Door 3:
While what Maria did was beyond fucked up to both the White-haired girl and Jacopo, I still blame Jacopo for the way things turned up. All he had to do was talk to her at any point and things would have turned out differently between them. But he never talked to Maria about his plans. Never talked to the White-haired girl about his love. He died alone in the end because he never once opened up to anyone.

Maria deserved her fate, same as Jacopo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
End of Door 3:
While what Maria did was beyond fucked up to both the White-haired girl and Jacopo, I still blame Jacopo for the way things turned up. All he had to do was talk to her at any point and things would have turned out differently between them. But he never talked to Maria about his plans. Never talked to the White-haired girl about his love. He died alone in the end because he never once opened up to anyone.

Maria deserved her fate, same as Jacopo.

I mean maria just straight up said the same thing lol. That if they would have actually talked things out her plan wouldn't work at all.

sonicmj1

Thanks again to Selane for giving me a code in the giveaway thread. I posted my impressions of the demo there. Just wanted to check in to let you know your generosity wasn't entirely wasted.

Unfortunately I haven't quite had the time to play the full game since, for a number of reasons. I'm maybe halfway through Door 3 right now (just at the start of the scene "Maria Campanella" now, which comes right after a big revelation), which I've played through in fits and snatches. Luckily, the writing seems to hold up pretty nicely regardless.

Starting Door 3 was a nice surprise. I love how the music shifted styles to match the setting, giving everything a very different vibe. But that's a prelude to a story that so far, feels like the strongest yet. I feel like there's a more coherent sense of place here, and the characters are a good deal less tropey. The most recent plot movements have me excited to see where this leads.

daveo42

Banned
Door 4:
I've discovered the insanity that is the back log and the crazy extra text found within. I'm a bit unnerved by all the missing text and weird extra, dialogue.

Aki-at

Been taking my time with this game but the past few days I've put in some good hours into it.

Finished door 2:
I think I was so engrossed in the chapter that I couldn't see the twist coming here, but this story hit me harder than door 1. I felt awful for both Pauline and the white haired girl dying for such a deranged madman. How Pauline's final thoughts were painful, followed up with Yukimasa breaking the fellow crew members fingers had me reeling in my chair.

Start of door 3:
I already love Mary, that means she's going to have an awful fate bestowed upon her, isn't she?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Been taking my time with this game but the past few days I've put in some good hours into it.

Finished door 2:
I think I was so engrossed in the chapter that I couldn't see the twist coming here, but this story hit me harder than door 1. I felt awful for both Pauline and the white haired girl dying for such a deranged madman. How Pauline's final thoughts were painful, followed up with Yamasaki breaking the fellow crew members fingers had me reeling in my chair.

Start of door 3:
I already love Mary, that means she's going to have an awful fate bestowed upon her, isn't she?

Yukimasa

As for door 3 and forward without spoilers.

daveo42

Banned
Post Door 4:
Here I thought I was Michel...but instead...

8qZpe.gif

Edit:
Oh god this goes far deeper than even that. What in the hell is even going on? She's Giselle? The white-haired girl never existed? Who are you even? And the witch? Holy shit this story

T-Rex.

Banned
Door 3
Goddamnit Jacopo. I saw that twist coming a mile away since I'm now pretty much expecting a twist in every chapter, but it was still fucked up. I, stupidly, thought it might actually end well for The White Haired girl this around when they both set the deadline to finally talk but I guess not ;_____________________________;

3 > 1 >>>> 2 is my ranking so far

Vazra

Ah yes, thanks for the correction.

And I wish
door 3 was like that, it's going to end in pain and misery though!

Major mid door 3 spoiler:
MARIA WHY? WHY?!? I BELIEVED IN YOU! And Jacopo, I start off the chapter wanting to see his lights punched out to feeling bad for the guy :(

This game and toying with my emotions :,(
Ready for more?
4b84dcf093.gif

Awakened

Finally finished this up.

The nicest surprise of the game for me was Michel reuniting with his brothers near the end. I didn't think they were going to show up again; I didn't suspect the man in the painting was Georges at all. It's touching that they were that close to him all this time.

Listening to the soundtrack, I forgot how badass the moment with Maria on the throne is with Dirà "Minchia!" playing. She's a great dom :|~ Crowd By the Riverside always gave me MediEvil vibes for some reason. Never Hold Me made me feel like I was climbing the final stairs before Dracula in a Castlevania game. I thought I was almost done in the first area that played in (getting the keys from the shadows), but there was so much more after that.

Some of my favorite parts were the lighthearted moments, so few and far between. The chemistry between Michel and Giselle is great. "Do you have a particular window you'd like to be thrown out of?" got a chuckle out of me. I liked going through all the dialogue options when Nellie asks you about her brother in the "past". Same with the options you get when Maria, Nellie and Pauline ask Michel to pick between them. Nellie fantasizing about having two brothers to pamper her if you pick "I'm not interested in women." was fun.

Something I thought stood out in this game compared to other VNs is how many expressions the character illustrations have. All the different mouth and eye positions match with the dialogue so well that they bring the characterization to a higher level. I especially loved when Giselle acts exasperated with Michel or that impish look to the side she gives sometimes.

Interestingly, if you go through the gallery and look at the Morgana illustrations, they have extra frames showing her with her face healed that didn't show up during the game.
Thanks once again to everyone involved in the giveaway! If Selane hadn't given out a few extra copies I wouldn't have gotten to play this gem for awhile.

Aki-at

End of Door 3:
I mean this sort of got a happy ending where the one behind all the evil got her comeuppance this time round. Jacopo was such a fool though and the moral of the story is always show people how you truly felt, not sure if he could have gotten through to Maria but he'd at least have managed to hold onto the white haired girl.

PS. If I was Jacobi's dad I would have tried to hitch both him and Maria together since they were so close, get into the family, don't end up making any grudges by killing anyone and my grandson gets full control of the empire in the long run. He needs to play more 4D chess.

Also I am not ashamed to admit it but I
teared up twice, first at the exchange between the two lovers writing letters withou Jacopo realising it was for him and then the white haired girl's final letter :,(

Ready for more?

It's getting worse and worse. I'll be a broken man before the end.

(And I'm loving it, this story is making me so emotional.)

Aki-at

Apologies for the double post but I stumbled on something on the beginning of door 4:

There's a message straight to the player in the backlog but doesn't appear on screen during the game, is this the first instance? I checked my other saves and there were no messages http://i.imgur.com/2ZBLwOq.jpg

Going to have to pay more attention to the backlog than I thought initially.

Vazra

Apologies for the double post but I stumbled on something on the beginning of door 4:

There's a message straight to the player in the backlog but doesn't appear on screen during the game, is this the first instance? I checked my other saves and there were no messages http://i.imgur.com/2ZBLwOq.jpg

Keep checking on it as you progress door 4
invoker-laugh.gif

Yar, it's the first instance and AFAIK only happens in Door 4.

Kevdo

Finished Door 4, and now that
things are changing if I go back I guess I need to start looking for how to progress.

I was looking at the config page and it seems that there isn't a way to stop skipping at unread text? That's kind of a pain.

daveo42

Banned
Door 5: Jesus Christ the reveal on the reason why
Giselle
was there...
when Michel brought up Giselle and his father, I was super worried it was rape. The language is so descriptive and grotesque without flatly saying what Michel's father did. Tbh this section hit excruciatingly hard and I'm welling up with tears just thinking about it again...

T-Rex.

Banned
Door

I think I'm around halfway through the story - Giselle just got chased out of the village - and man this is the toughest to sit through by far. Giselle :(

Aki-at

Door 4:
Man the backlog messing up is great but because I sometimes go a bit TOO fast I'm missing some stuff so I have to reload an earlier save haha.

OniBaka

I envy those that looked at the back log in door
. Only time I brought it up is when I accidentally held space bar too long and skip dialogs.

Aki-at

Finished door 4:
Absolutely fantastic, I felt the story felt far too fantastical compared to what we saw before, the maid never present, the mad rumblings inside the backlog... It was all so excellent done and the climax to the story, positioning you as the white haired girl but then rejecting the claims, the music as you tried to bring sense back to Giselle, I couldn't stop until the next chapter began. This is such a well crafted story.

PS. I am so glad the maid isn't some evil woman but someone lost and confused as well, didn't want her to heel turn on me, now I feel I got to save her no matter how many more tragedies I see and get to the bottom of all this meddling with my mind.

I envy those that looked at the back log in door
. Only time I brought it up is when I accidentally held space bar too long and skip dialogs.

Me through all of door 4.
I think a screenshot every dialogue in the backlog that was added, just incase I might need it later to rejog my memory.

daveo42

Banned
Mid to late Door 5:
After a full year had passed

I knew it would head in that direction. I knew she'd have emotional scars over what had happened to her. I knew and yet the baited breath on the confession. Michel's acceptance and reluctance at saying yes. The devastation followed by relief at Michel willingness to hope. The mixed feelings of Giselle and Michel as he came to grips with just how deep her scars were. How she had never let herself just cry over the pain and suffering she had endured. And now I'm crying again. This chapter has been so hard to go through because of how difficult and depressing the subject matter has been.

The bright spot being how well written both Michel and Giselle have been. Especially Giselle.

It's late and I need to both sleep and am afraid of what the end of Door 5 will bring. I know I am close, but I'm not sure I could deal with what is to come. Even after everything up to now, I'm not ready.

Loz246789

So quick psa, it *seems* like fata morgana is on sale again for 30% off (steam is currently being steam, but the page is like that at the moment). So if you missed it the last time, or you want to buy the soundtrack... it's a thing!

So quick psa, it *seems* like fata morgana is on sale again for 30% off (steam is currently being steam, but the page is like that at the moment). So if you missed it the last time, or you want to buy the soundtrack... it's a thing!

Okay guys I need your opinion on something. Spoilers for the game follow.
A very close, trans friend is becoming 18 on the first of July. Should I gift this to him/her (not sure if they're mtf or ftm, oddly enough- though I think they identify as female though)? Perhaps send it as a gift and mention that it could make them uncomfortable? They normally don't like story-heavy stuff but I wonder if this'd change their mind.

Loz246789

A very close, trans friend is becoming 18 on the first of July. Should I gift this to him/her (not sure if they're mtf or ftm, oddly enough- though I think they identify as female though)? Perhaps send it as a gift and mention that it could make them uncomfortable? They normally don't like story-heavy stuff but I wonder if this'd change their mind.

This is a very good question.
I'm not trans, so my opinion isn't worth too much, but I think BROADLY SPEAKING this is still a story that features a character transition from one gender, to another. And really I can't think of any other games that tackles the issue in such depth. So if they don't mind a bit of suffering, I'd say go for it? Maybe ask them about it in a roundabout way.

EDIT:
Actually, one big important thing: it has an ultimately happy ending. I'm pretty certain this is even rarer than anything resembling trans characters to begin with. This could be an important detail.

sbs2601

Neo Member

If you want to be on the safe side and/or your friend doesn't mind out of context spoilers, have them read through this content advisory page first: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/05/12/the-house-in-fata-morgana-content-advisory/

On one hand, it's a good idea to let your friend know what they signed up for, esp. with themes that may hit very close to home for them. On the other hand, by doing so you would be spoiling some of the biggest twists in the game. It's quite a dilemma... Maybe let your friend decide whether they want to read the spoilers or not?

Aki-at

Mid door
spoiler/thoughts:
I am loving the real version of Michel. He is such a dick to Giselle and a bit eccentric that he's such an improvement over his "perfected" fabrication of the previous chapter.

Top Bottom