• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Now that some time has passed. I was left wondering what happened with
Aimee
they did expand a bit on
Michel brothers
later on but they didnt really give much about that character after that part was over.
I feel she should have been dragged into the house too and suffer tbh.

Shizuka

Can someone let me know when The House in Fata Morgana goes on sale? Perhaps during the upcoming Steam Summer Sale? I want to buy it, but since I wouldn't play it now, I can wait for a sale.

Vazra

Can someone let me know when The House in Fata Morgana goes on sale? Perhaps during the upcoming Steam Summer Sale? I want to buy it, but since I wouldn't play it now, I can wait for a sale.

Sure I'll PM you or if you want or you can add me and I'll message you on Steam

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
LTTP, but I've been wondering what my next VN should be after Steins;Gate, and this sounds pretty great.

Really nice OT, though it gave me flashbacks to having to change out every picture in the RE0 OT after posting because the text was too small to comfortably read on many phones. I was out of town at the time, so it was quite a desperate scramble to fix.

I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on it; roommate has been hitting Uncharted hard so it will be nice to have something for the laptop.

Vazra

LTTP, but I've been wondering what my next VN should be after Steins;Gate, and this sounds pretty great.

Really nice OT, though it gave me flashbacks to having to change out every picture in the RE0 OT after posting because the text was too small to comfortably read on many phones. I was out of town at the time, so it was quite a desperate scramble to fix.

I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on it; roommate has been hitting Uncharted hard so it will be nice to have something for the laptop.
Hope you enjoy it :)

Vazra

Also, this is the review that made me decide to get the game. I've known the game for some time, but that review sealed the deal. I want to watch the beginning of the game, is Mangagamer removing the videos from Youtube?
I came across the game while checking soundtracks on a Japanese Online Shop. The art looked stunning and quickly searched and saw it was getting a translation but the team wasn't MangaGamer. It sure took its time to come up. As for videos I've seen them just fine actually. The first hours in the game are nowhere near as great as the things that happen later on tho

Shizuka

I came across the game while checking soundtracks on a Japanese Online Shop. The art looked stunning and quickly searched and saw it was getting a translation but the team wasn't MangaGamer. It sure took its time to come up. As for videos I've seen them just fine actually. The first hours in the game are nowhere near as great as the things that happen later on tho

The only videos I can find are the ones from years ago, none from the recent release.

What's this about another translation? MangaGamer licensed and translated it themselves.

Also, this is the review that made me decide to get the game. I've known the game for some time, but that review sealed the deal. I want to watch the beginning of the game, is Mangagamer removing the videos from Youtube?
MangaGamer has limits on what one can archive of let's plays of their games, but I'm pretty sure the beginning of the game is allowed.

Originally MangaGamer wasnt the ones translating the game but Playism. Thats back in 2014 but that one fell through and MangaGamer took it.

Read here
http://blog.mangagamer.org/2014/08/12/a-message-from-novectacle/

I had completely forgotten about this. It's a good thing it happened though as I doubt playism would be as concerned about translation quality as MangaGamer.

Y'know what? Fuck it, I'm in.
Waiting wouldn't have saved you more than a few dollars considering how MangaGamer doesn't give its games heavy discounts anyway.

Hikami

Ah cool, didn't know there was a thread for this. Been really interested in it, might pick it up soon once I finish the other VN I'm reading at the moment.

Vazra

I had completely forgotten about this. It's a good thing it happened though as I doubt playism would be as concerned about translation quality as MangaGamer.

Waiting wouldn't have saved you more than a few dollars considering how MangaGamer doesn't give its games heavy discounts anyway.
I played both Playism and MangaGamer demos to tell you that the difference between both is pretty noticeable. There were things that were a bit awkward at times on the Playism version and some issues with a character name that was translated wrong too. I'm pretty happy with the final version cause that one improved the minor gripes I had with the demo.

Ah cool, didn't know there was a thread for this. Been really interested in it, might pick it up soon once I finish the other VN I'm reading at the moment.
Which one are you reading? :p

Hikami

Which one are you reading? :p

I'm reading eden* right now. I have a bunch of unread VNs on steam that I got from some bundle a long time ago so I'm finally getting around to them.
Going to run out soon though and I'm definitely gonna need more haha, so I'll likely be picking up The House in Fata Morgana next.

Shizuka

I don't know why some games have weird random glitches and bugs on my tablet. The music stops during the game for no reason. The third time it happened, not even rebooting the game worked. Now I'm downloading it on my laptop, let's hope it goes fine this time.

Lain

If you have a game on your wishlist, Steam will email you about it when it'll be up for sale. Might have to activate the option for it (settings>interface>notify me about changes etc).

Shizuka

Just finished the first door and damn, this game should've sold a lot more by now. It's criminally overlooked and underestimated.

Vazra

Just finished the first door and damn, this game should've sold a lot more by now. It's criminally overlooked and underestimated.

If that is with the first door only I cant imagine how you will feel later on in the game. Hope to hear more updates from you :p

Kieli

Finding games in Steam is a goddamned nightmare. And that's coming from someone who regularly searches through the games.

I'd have to go straight to the visual novels tag, and there's no easy way to find that tag...

jonjonaug

Yep. It fell off the new releases page way too quickly because no one bought it early on. I'm guessing releasing at around the same time as Root Double might've hurt it a bit.

Vazra

Yep. It fell off the new releases page way too quickly because no one bought it early on. I'm guessing releasing at around the same time as Root Double might've hurt it a bit.

It sucks because the game deserved better. Hope it manages to sell more even if its with the sales discounts cause I loved it and I hope these sales don't affect the future localization of Novectacle content.

Shizuka

Counting the hours to go home, watch Game of Thrones and finish The Second Door before Sony E3 conference. It's been awhile since I was last enthralled with a visual novel like this.

Vazra

Counting the hours to go home, watch Game of Thrones and finish The Second Door before Sony E3 conference. It's been awhile since I was last enthralled with a visual novel like this.
Nice. Hope you keep enjoying theVN ^_^

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I just downloaded the demo last night and finished the first door. The writing has been compelling despite the fact that
the first door's story is not original.

But I have to say, this soundtrack is something else. I'm floored. It's astounding. I love every vocal track and the atmosphere it builds. The music has me completely and utterly hooked.

I just have one question.
Do the visuals get gory? I don't mind visceral descriptions, but not sure if I could stomach late night jump-scare gore. For instance, Nellie's reveal at the end of the first door could have looked completely different if the developers chose to follow through. Should I expect all imagery to be relatively tame? Thanks.

jonjonaug

I just downloaded the demo last night and finished the first door. The writing has been compelling despite the fact that
the first door's story is not original.

But I have to say, this soundtrack is something else. I'm floored. It's astounding. I love every vocal track and the atmosphere it builds. The music has me completely and utterly hooked.

I just have one question.
Do the visuals get gory? I don't mind visceral descriptions, but not sure if I could stomach late night jump-scare gore. For instance, Nellie's reveal at the end of the first door could have looked completely different if the developers chose to follow through. Should I expect all imagery to be relatively tame? Thanks.

Last question:
Yes, but only certain chapters, and it's usually tastefully done. Chapter 2 has the most of it with what I think are the only really gore-y CGs in the game, although later chapters have some descriptions of violent acts. While macabre, it's never really of the jump scare variety.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Last question:
Yes, but only certain chapters, and it's usually tastefully done. Chapter 2 has the most of it with what I think are the only really gore-y CGs in the game, although later chapters have some descriptions of violent acts. While macabre, it's never really of the jump scare variety.
Oh ok. I think I've seen some of the promo CG with the monster attacking people and that's fine. I was more concerned with the body mutilation type since you never know with VNs...

Thanks!

jonjonaug

Heading into the fourth door, is it halfway through the game already?

Not quite. Closer to one third I would say.
The final door is pretty long, like a quarter of the game on its own, but chapters six and seven are both comparatively short I think (or I just read through chapter 7 really fast cause it's really good).

Vazra

What a delicious plot-twist that
Michel really was a woman.
Not sure if you finished that chapter but...
Not a woman but Intersex. Michel was raised as a girl but he always felt like he was a boy by the way he behaved and felt about things that he was forced and taught to do. Which is something you rarely see well done in media so it was a welcomed twist for me.

I hope you continue enjoying the ride cause now is where everything is thrown at you basically for most of the part.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Finally bought the game (was waiting for the Steam sale).

Finished door 3. I'm still very much enjoying this game, but my one complaint is that
the twists of each tale seem way too obvious. Not sure if they are intentionally hinting at it, or if they're just really being too obvious about it. Zero Escape twists these are not. Of course there's still this big meta mystery about My identity that I'm hoping will deliver. I have a sneaking suspicion (feel free to laugh) that I'm going to end up being the White-Haired Girl.

Shizuka

At the beginning of the last chapter. This game reminds me of Umineko no Naku Koro ni way too much, maybe that's why I'm falling for it.

The game has had an update, mostly to improve the SFX:
Hey, everyone. We’ve got a little surprise for you today to celebrate the ongoing summer sale. Our friends at Novectacle have been hard at work behind the scenes polishing and enhancing The House in Fata Morgana, and we’re bringing you the first fruits of their ongoing efforts today.

The update includes minor script modifications, adjustments to Mell’s and Pauline’s sprites, and a complete overhaul of the sound effects. More than 75% of the game’s SFX have been replaced with higher quality effects, and the total number of unique SFX has been increased almost 2.5x, giving the game a much richer, more immersive soundscape.

The version 1.1 update is live on both Steam and the MangaGamer website right now. However, due to the scale of the update, you will have to redownload the game from your account page if you purchased it from the MangaGamer store. Steam customers should have the update automatically applied for them.

Top Bottom