• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

sbs2601

Neo Member
I'm not convinced.
Did she ever even interact with him in what was shown to us? Outside of his delirious mumbling as he died? It's not a maid's place to ask questions or listen to conversations.

That's beside the point, though. If you ask me, it's dumb that we need to extrapolate reasons for something that isn't explained and probably doesn't have an explanation. I doubt very much that the writer/translator put that line in there thinking, "Yeah, she probably picked that up during that era." It was probably more a case of, "Yeah, there, that fits in this particular context/conversation."

The real shame of it is that it could have been a plot point. All that slang and anachronism that Giselle throws out? Watch this.

Michel: "...What? What on Earth are you talking about? Stop spouting nonsense."
Giselle: "Oops! Sorry, hehe. I always forget, you wouldn't be used to the way they speak in other times."

Later-

Giselle: "Too late, Michel! No stopping this train!"
Michel: "Stop doing that!"

It could have been an extra layer on the dynamic between Michel and Giselle, highlighting the differences in the time they spent apart, and throwing a bit of humor in there with it. Instead it just comes across (just to me, obviously) as lazy writing/translating, depending on what the original text was. Maybe this moment comes sometime in the last bit of the game i haven't reached yet, but if it does, it's wayyyyy too late.

Or, what the hell, maybe I'm just cynical and they really do just expect us to put those pieces together ourselves.

Fair point. Though it would have been hilariously out of place if a Frenchwoman just started to hurl around Yankee slang XD

also

Banned
So finally managed to write my impressions.

First a spoiler-free general overview.
I can't recommend this VN enough! It made think, it made me feel and it made me pause. It constantly subverted and exceeded my expectations. It truly is a roller coaster ride that will emotionally drain you but make you yearn for more, like moths to a flame. And you'll definitely get burnt.
The game has a number of touchy themes but it handles all of them tastefully. You won't find eyeroll-worthy fanservice, for sure.The music is wonderful, be it joyous or harrowing, but I feel it's pointless to link the tracks as they are that much better if you hear them in the context.
I think it's a crime its sales are so low (says the one that got it for free...) so I urge those on the fence to try the very generous demo. Just be aware that it begins slowly and the first door is the worst of the game. The 2nd one is already an improvement but things just get better and better. So if you like it even a tiny bit, don't hesitate!

Nothing is perfect, though.
-The beginning is slow and the last part is too drawn out. These two are my biggest complaints but they don't detract too much from the game's excellence.
-It bothered me that the volume of the soundtrack was uneven; sometimes very quiet, sometimes loud. I stopped using headphones because of this.
-I'm not a big fan of the art though it did grow on me over time. Arguably the most important character looks great, though.
-The background art looks like photos with a Photoshop filter applied.

I haven't played many other visual novels but just for reference.
Zero Escape Series; 999 is great. VLR is better gameplay wise but the game suffers due to the more light-hearted atmosphere. As for ZTD, I have no strong feelings. It's just kind of there but I'm glad we at least got a conclusion.
Danganronpa: The setting is trash but I keep playing the games because I've already invested so much time. I just want it to end.
Corpse Party: I like the first game but the 2 localized sequels are meh. Although things can get very gruesome, I never had any issues playing through these games. Fata Morgana is just on another level.

Now for some more spoilerish impressions:
CH.1 I care very little for the idyllic life of the nobility so it took a while for this chapter to get interesting. I liked the twist.
CH.2 Much more interesting from the very beginning. It has some slow sections but when everything fell in its place I was taken aback. The game is being really sneaky since at this point you still don't know how it treats supernatural phenomena. One's humanity can be so fragile.
CH.3 Maybe I lack critical thinking skills but I again did not see the twist coming. I appreciate how it humanizes Maria and Jacopo though, of course, I still can't muster much sympathy for them. Why is it sometimes so hard to say a few words?
CH.4&5 I really like how they contrast each other so 4's "weakness" actually makes 5 more enjoyable. When Giselle spilt her soul it really shook me and I thought this chapter would be the peak but my expectations were again exceeded.
CH.6 It was hard to read through and I had to take a few breaks; couldn't stomach it in one go. I thought the previous chapter was tragic but this one turns it up to 11. This world can be such an awful place.
CH.7 I think this represents the emotional height of the VN. I kept thinking: "Why can't you just accept Michel for who he is?" And then I realized that had I been born in that time, I too would have most likely been a product of the environment and just as shitty. Feels bad.
CH.8 To put it shortly, it was too long. It was nice to see the motivations behind the characters but I feel they could have condensed it. Do we really need that much text exposing the flaxen haired boy as a spineless and selfish? The conversation with Maria, Pauline and Nellie felt like an anime filler episode... We also don't learn anything of value about Yukimasa so his part felt even more superfluous. And the part with the white haired girl came out of nowhere and really doesn't fit. Even after returning to the mansion, the game still goes on and on. And speaking of that, I didn't like how quickly Michel forgave his brothers; Morgana's attitude is way more relatable.
I don't think they could have topped ch. 7 and I didn't expect them to but they should have definitely wrapped up things faster.
Ending. I'm not one for sappy endings but by Gods did Michelle and Giselle deserve a happy ending and I'm glad they got it.

Taruranto

So finally managed to write my impressions.

First a spoiler-free general overview.
I can't recommend this VN enough! It made think, it made me feel and it made me pause. It constantly subverted and exceeded my expectations. It truly is a roller coaster ride that will emotionally drain you but make you yearn for more, like moths to a flame. And you'll definitely get burnt.
The game has a number of touchy themes but it handles all of them tastefully. You won't find eyeroll-worthy fanservice, for sure.The music is wonderful, be it joyous or harrowing, but I feel it's pointless to link the tracks as they are that much better if you hear them in the context.
I think it's a crime its sales are so low (says the one that got it for free...) so I urge those on the fence to try the very generous demo. Just be aware that it begins slowly and the first door is the worst of the game. The 2nd one is already an improvement but things just get better and better. So if you like it even a tiny bit, don't hesitate!

Nothing is perfect, though.
-The beginning is slow and the last part is too drawn out. These two are my biggest complaints but they don't detract too much from the game's excellence.
-It bothered me that the volume of the soundtrack was uneven; sometimes very quiet, sometimes loud. I stopped using headphones because of this.
-I'm not a big fan of the art though it did grow on me over time. Arguably the most important character looks great, though.
-The background art looks like photos with a Photoshop filter applied.

I haven't played many other visual novels but just for reference.
Zero Escape Series; 999 is great. VLR is better gameplay wise but the game suffers due to the more light-hearted atmosphere. As for ZTD, I have no strong feelings. It's just kind of there but I'm glad we at least got a conclusion.
Danganronpa: The setting is trash but I keep playing the games because I've already invested so much time. I just want it to end.
Corpse Party: I like the first game but the 2 localized sequels are meh. Although things can get very gruesome, I never had any issues playing through these games. Fata Morgana is just on another level.

Now for some more spoilerish impressions:
CH.1 I care very little for the idyllic life of the nobility so it took a while for this chapter to get interesting. I liked the twist.
CH.2 Much more interesting from the very beginning. It has some slow sections but when everything fell in its place I was taken aback. The game is being really sneaky since at this point you still don't know how it treats supernatural phenomena. One's humanity can be so fragile.
CH.3 Maybe I lack critical thinking skills but I again did not see the twist coming. I appreciate how it humanizes Maria and Jacopo though, of course, I still can't muster much sympathy for them. Why is it sometimes so hard to say a few words?
CH.4&5 I really like how they contrast each other so 4's "weakness" actually makes 5 more enjoyable. When Giselle spilt her soul it really shook me and I thought this chapter would be the peak but my expectations were again exceeded.
CH.6 It was hard to read through and I had to take a few breaks; couldn't stomach it in one go. I thought the previous chapter was tragic but this one turns it up to 11. This world can be such an awful place.
CH.7 I think this represents the emotional height of the VN. I kept thinking: "Why can't you just accept Michel for who he is?" And then I realized that had I been born in that time, I too would have most likely been a product of the environment and just as shitty. Feels bad.
CH.8 To put it shortly, it was too long. It was nice to see the motivations behind the characters but I feel they could have condensed it. Do we really need that much text exposing the flaxen haired boy as a spineless and selfish? The conversation with Maria, Pauline and Nellie felt like an anime filler episode... We also don't learn anything of value about Yukimasa so his part felt even more superfluous. And the part with the white haired girl came out of nowhere and really doesn't fit. Even after returning to the mansion, the game still goes on and on. And speaking of that, I didn't like how quickly Michel forgave his brothers; Morgana's attitude is way more relatable.
I don't think they could have topped ch. 7 and I didn't expect them to but they should have definitely wrapped up things faster.
Ending. I'm not one for sappy endings but by Gods did Michelle and Giselle deserve a happy ending and I'm glad they got it.

What do you mean? If anything I feel it's what made everything slot into place.
As for Michel vs Morgana, well, you don't have to agree with his mindset. Both his and Morgana's point of view are valid. I do think Michel's (and Giselle) positivism was sorely needed in the novel however, since they are basically the only positive characters, which ultimately allowed them to break the curse.

Aki-at

As for Michel vs Morgana, well, you don't have to agree with his mindset. Both his and Morgana's point of view are valid. I do think Michel's (and Giselle) positivism was sorely needed in the novel however, since they are basically the only positive characters, which ultimately allowed them to break the curse.

Fair to keep in mind regarding Morgana, she isn't really any different from Michel. The person who was the root cause of all her misery was her mother but she didn't curse her either. I'm guessing her egging him on to punish his family also bores from her own inability to bring herself to curse her mother.

Viridian6

Finished the game yesterday. Don't feel like doing an extended writeup at the moment, but this game sure tackled some heavy stuff, generally with aplomb.

Full spoilers below.
Best part:
Blood of the Holy One. Wow that was intense.
Worst part:
The payoff for Chapter 8. After all the fuss, Yukimasa and Jacopo's "perspectives" didn't make them any less sympathetic/understandable - they were planning to abduct and torture a total stranger anyway! Jacopo could have carried out his scheme without using any blood at all, so I figured he must have known Morgana lived in the cottage - nope, total coincidence. Guess he had better things to do with his new power than search for his love. Weak finish for the finale.

Looking forward to A Requiem for Innocence, though the writers are gonna have to work hard to endear me to
Jacopo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finished the game yesterday. Don't feel like doing an extended writeup at the moment, but this game sure tackled some heavy stuff, generally with aplomb.

Best part:
Blood of the Holy One. Wow that was intense.
Worst part:
The payoff for Chapter 8. After all the fuss, Yukimasa and Jacopo's "perspectives" didn't make them any less sympathetic/understandable - they were planning to abduct and torture a total stranger anyway! Jacopo could have carried out his scheme without using any blood at all, so I figured he must have known Morgana lived in the cottage - nope, total coincidence. Guess he had better things to do with his new power than search for his love. Weak finish for the finale.

Looking forward to A Requiem for Innocence, though the writers are gonna have to work hard to endear me to
Jacopo.

If you play the backstage I don't think he's meant to be endearing. :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
He's one of the main protagonists of ARFI though?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUX0eT8xtQ

I think the writers meant for him to be
sympathetic/tragic (while still culpable),
but they didn't pull it off imo.

Still waiting on that 2016 release
invoker-laugh.gif

Shizuka

New Sekai Project announcement:

NarKarma EngineA
Developer: Novectacle

Upon the distant surface dwells a race of humanoid beasts, in an adventure where you become both the hero and the final villain.

From the creator of the highly acclaimed House of Fata Morgana, comes a new breed of RPG.

Deep beneath the crust dwells a race of humanoid machines and in the strata dividing them, dreams of the dead conjure up phantoms of eras long lost to time. Traversing these forgotten realms, beast and machine cross paths, bringing upon both the threat of extinction. But only one will make it through alive.

NarKarma EngineA takes the player into a world of beasts and mechanical mystery, fusing tabletop role playing gaming with the suspense and intrigue of Keika Hanada's script and the striking illustrations of artist Kanemune. With multiple routes to explore and several characters to develop, NarKarma EngineA is surely a game you don't want to miss!

Skittles

Currently going through this slowly but surely. I said goddamn @ the door 1 twist, that was some good build up. Saw door 2's coming a mile away though. Also, the a couple of the music pieces in door 2 have some heavy Bjork inspiration. My main complaints about the game are that the background art is atrocious and so far every female except The Maid and The White Haired Girl have severe monkey/ape face going on. Straight up reminds me of 2001 Planet of the Apes sometimes.

Aki-at

He's one of the main protagonists of ARFI though?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUX0eT8xtQ

I think the writers meant for him to be
sympathetic/tragic (while still culpable),
but they didn't pull it off imo.

This is probably my biggest worry with A Requiem for Innocence
Jacopo is an awful person and isn't above killing innocent people to further his agenda for the "greater good" that I really don't want to see them try to paint him in a better light.

also

Banned

I don't have a problem with the explanation of the white hair girl's existence but the way she shows up in the end and is all "Kill me, please." just doesn't feel right to me. I thought it was another of Morgana's tricks at first.

The way Michel talks to Giselle about his brothers definitely made me think he would at least have some resentment, scold them a bit. Their excuses were so weak, especially George's. "Ups, I forgot about you." Like, the hell was that?

MilkBeard

New Sekai Project announcement:

Wow. It's really hard to imagine what this would be like, but with that writer, I'm so down. The fact that they are adding role-playing elements is really cool.

So will this be a visual novel with role-playing qualities, or will this game be a completely different genre from THiFM?

Either way, in my veins.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Wow. It's really hard to imagine what this would be like, but with that writer, I'm so down. The fact that they are adding role-playing elements is really cool.

So will this be a visual novel with role-playing qualities, or will this game be a completely different genre from THiFM?

Either way, in my veins.

Nar-Karma EngineA is a completely different genre. It's a TRPG/RPG hybrid (leaning more towards the RPG side).

daveo42

Banned
Sorry if this is a bit...long in the tooth.

I came into Fata Morgana with only a few VNs under my belt, the biggest being Steins;Gate and the subsequent S;G 0, both I hold in high regard. The first being what I considered one of the best stories in any game or medium I had ever experienced. That said, I feel that The House in Fata Morgana is the better story, not particularly because of place, setting, characters, or even type of story it tries to tell, but in how the game ties all of them together and lets you empathize with their separate plights. Problems you may never know, never experience in your lifetime, but make you feel what they themselves feel. It's a work that should be experienced by all if only to see a perspective separate from themselves and try to at least understand them more. You experience what they do and grow to feel the absolute pain, hatred, distrust, suffering, longing, love, and eventual
forgiveness
they have for others, even if some of it seems unearned.

The script is one of the best written of any game I have played and is probably the best translated game. Pauses between characters, the addition of humor to balance it out, and visual cues to give you a true understanding of how each character thinks and feels seems beyond the realm of a VN, but works well above it's weight here. It's also the only VN I have played that didn't seem to have any of the standard errors that seem to crop up in other translated games, even now.

Lastly, before I cover a few spoiler bits...this is absolutely one of the most emotionally draining pieces I have ever experienced. Not just in games, but across all mediums. I had significant issues both playing and stopping it several times. Not wanting to put it down, but also being aware of how drained sections of the game were. Especially past the midpoint. And finishing...it made me want to lay down and cry, sorting out all of the emotions that welled within me. It broke me, but in the best ways possible.

First, the weakest parts of the game:
Door 2 was a shift in tone I both did not expect nor like. Yukimasa's story was hardest to empathize with as he seemed deranged from the outset. No redeeming quality to him, which made me despise his character and story. I think it greatly improved upon the inclusion of the white-haired girl and Pauline's tale. Her end was however, highly telegraphed. I was fine with moving on to the superior Door 3.

Door 8 had me completely enthralled early on with the path of saving Morgana, saving Giselle, dispelling the mansion, and saving everyone else. Then we got into retread territory. Not to say it was all bad, but the first 2/3rds of Door 8 felt needlessly drawn out. Mell's story with Morgana almost entirely needed to be cut out as I feel we were well aware of how he felt and how he was coerced into helping Jacopo and Yukimasa. As with Yukimasa, I didn't care for his retelling as the only thing we got there was that he needed someone to quench his bloodlust, to tie him to his humanity. I'll also say that I think ending Door 7 with Giselle and Michel made me realize that they were the ones I really cared for...their story.

That's not the say the first 2/3rds were all bad as they did include some great interactions with the women in Mell's and Yukimasa's lives. Nellie, Pauline, Maria were all welcome additions to their stories and added the context I wanted here.

Now that that is over with, some of my best stuff (really, it's like the entire second half of the game):
Door 4, with its subversion of the back log showing you a hidden conversation between Michel, Morgana, and I presume himself. I need to go reread it to see if the other, third voice there was really him, or the other half of Morgana. I feel she might exist in that moment as well. Anyway...that blew me absolutely away with how it handled the true fairy tale that was Door 4.

Doors 5-7. Giselle's story was heartbreaking and gut-wrenching, yet full of love for the man she knew she could fully trust with the darkest parts of herself. The struggles of dealing with her own pain, trying to live happily as Michel's servant, running from it all, and then reopening those old wounds in plain view of Michel. Their blossoming love and then the eternal wait. Giselle's slide into the Maid after pain and suffering and death visited her through countless ages. Morgana's tale of a girl who didn't deserve any part in the hand she was dealt. Why she holds the animosity she does and how she is justified to curse those involved. Then Michel's story...which I struggle to even bring up again. These chapters point towards this game's ability to empathize with these characters and their harrowing tales and the payoff at the end, with Giselle returning to Michel, to comfort him and accept him for who he is makes me so so happy. Finally Jacopo's tale in Door 8 through to the end. Jacopo is a fucking idiot, but I'm glad all of lead to Giselle and Michel finding each other in the next life. And...seeing Morgana smile once at the end of it all.

As an aside, I also really loved the interactions between Michel and Giselle during her time there in Door 8. God they are perfect.

I did have a few other thoughts related to a few characters...
I think I can relate to Georges and Didier on some level, even if what both of them did to Michel is reprehensible. Georges getting caught up in his own life sounds like something far too many people do. They focus on themselves and not the pain or suffering of others. They ignore it, forget about it, and then realize how wrong it actually was to do so when they actually think about how the other person(s) felt in that situation.

As for Didier...he knew what he did was wrong in the eyes of family...but not in the eyes of the Church. I think his path still resonates in large parts of the globe. Denying and exiling those different than you...that don't follow your strict guidelines on sex, religion, gender roles, orientation. That death may be better for those that stray from god's light or if you just keep telling them what they are is wrong...they'll go back and fit into the role you think is best for them.

Neither deserved forgiveness and both deserved punishment and torment for what they did to Michel. But at times you also forgive and forget if they are repentant because they are family and sometimes they are all you have in the world.

Anyway...as dark, twisted and hard this game was, I'm glad I played it and saw
the happiness of Giselle and Michel. Seriously...I thought they were going to leave it open there with Giselle waiting and I about flipped the fuck out.

Kevdo

Well, I finished. I'll post my full impressions later when my laptop isn't almost out of batteries, but for now I'd just like to give a huge thanks to OniBaka for giving me the chance to experience all this!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sorry if this is a bit...long in the tooth.

I came into Fata Morgana with only a few VNs under my belt, the biggest being Steins;Gate and the subsequent S;G 0, both I hold in high regard. The first being what I considered one of the best stories in any game or medium I had ever experienced. That said, I feel that The House in Fata Morgana is the better story, not particularly because of place, setting, characters, or even type of story it tries to tell, but in how the game ties all of them together and lets you empathize with their separate plights. Problems you may never know, never experience in your lifetime, but make you feel what they themselves feel. It's a work that should be experienced by all if only to see a perspective separate from themselves and try to at least understand them more. You experience what they do and grow to feel the absolute pain, hatred, distrust, suffering, longing, love, and eventual
forgiveness
they have for others, even if some of it seems unearned.

FWIW I think it's more about
moving on from hate than outright forgiveness.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So I finally finished the game today, what a ride! I loved most of it, except the final hours felt kind of repetitive and drawn out.

Anyway, I got the best ending I think, but
I'm still not clear on how everything worked out in that epilogue. I recognized they were talking about Mell and Nellie at the beginning, then the Swordsman getting a new job.
Followed by Marie and Pauline walking around in town, but who was the man that ran into them? Because I recall them saying they recognized him. And it couldn't have been Jacopo because he appears in the scene after that, reading the newspaper.

Also, what exactly determined who would be 'reconstructed' in this time period? I was kind of hoping to see Morgana in some shape or form for example. And it seems like Michel never was reunited with Didier and Georges?

daveo42

Banned
FWIW I think it's more about
moving on from hate than outright forgiveness.

For Morgana, sure. I think there is a level of moving on mixed with forgiveness for Michel when it comes to his brothers. Part of that is lies in him coming to terms that is different and that they are still family that showed remorse for their actions. Btw, that knowing that difference doesn't negate his legitimate desire to be treated the way he identifies himself.

So I finally finished the game today, what a ride! I loved most of it, except the final hours felt kind of repetitive and drawn out.

Anyway, I got the best ending I think, but
I'm still not clear on how everything worked out in that epilogue. I recognized they were talking about Mell and Nellie at the beginning, then the Swordsman getting a new job.
Followed by Marie and Pauline walking around in town, but who was the man that ran into them? Because I recall them saying they recognized him. And it couldn't have been Jacopo because he appears in the scene after that, reading the newspaper.

Also, what exactly determined who would be 'reconstructed' in this time period? I was kind of hoping to see Morgana in some shape or form for example. And it seems like Michel never was reunited with Didier and Georges?

End game spoilers:
The man you reference (who is still an asshole) is Jacopo. It's more that he bumps into Maria, who gets pissed off at him for being rude and then the following scene is him complaining about the tourists he just ran into. As for Morgana, she's there as the black butterfly. In my own fanfic, her and the white-haired girl are born to Michel and Giselle. Totally not canon, but my hope. Georges and Didier could very well be Michel's brothers in that time as well, but that two is left to the imagination.

Not everything needs to be clarified in the end except the part that mattered the most, Giselle and Michel finally meeting again after hundreds of separated

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
End game spoilers:
The man you reference (who is still an asshole) is Jacopo. It's more that he bumps into Maria, who gets pissed off at him for being rude and then the following scene is him complaining about the tourists he just ran.

That is what I thought at first and it makes the most sense, but it was kind of confusing how he in the first scene was called 'Man', and then 'Wavy-Haired Man' immediately after.

just finished it, what an amazing story!

The only thing that bothered me was that too many parts were unnecessarily long! LOts of thing could have been cut!

But either way, it touched me a lot!

Sapientas

Just finished the Third Door. I love VNs and I trust the recommendations here, so I'll play this till the end, but so far the game has been incredibly lackluster.

The "twists" have been kinda obvious and not so entertaining, especially Door 2,
which felt messy. The game had to trick the player by using the Merchant portrait during the backstory just to have this lame twist which obviously led to Pauline's death as that other Beast. Like who was that incredibly similar merchant specialized in international trade that Bestia killed at the beginning?
I don't think VNs inherently need twists so I would be fine if the writing was actually fun, but most of it reads like filler. I mean most dialogue is there as buildup but, so far, there is zero world building so all dialogue is focused on describing the 2 or 3 characters of the door. It gets really repetitive.

I have to say though, the OST is on point. All tracks are well integrated in the game and really add to the overall experience.

sbs2601

Neo Member
The "twists" have been kinda obvious and not so entertaining, especially Door 2,
which felt messy. The game had to trick the player by using the Merchant portrait during the backstory just to have this lame twist which obviously led to Pauline's death as that other Beast. Like who was that incredibly similar merchant specialized in international trade that Bestia killed at the beginning?

I'm gonna copy/paste my interpretation from another forum:

You can see from the CG in the scene afterwards (https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....333/4F3D6CC8BDA23CFFFF4FE8F495623D5F2A958817/) that the merchant murdered by Bestia is an entirely different person. This "incredibly similar" merchant you are talking about is never visually shown to the player outside of this CG; the only characters that have a portrait in the early parts of Door 2 are the Maid and Yukimasa/Bestia. You probably mistook the Yukimasa sprite that briefly appeared onscreen as the merchant he later murdered, which is exactly what the VN wanted you to think. It's a clever red herring as well as subtle foreshadowing/characterization for Bestia that can only be done in a VN.

His human sprite (Yukimasa) briefly shows up due to him seeing a fellow human being (the merchant) for the first time since he was exiled from the village, causing his dormant memories of his human self to resurface. He even wears a troubled/confused expression here: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....985/47CB1CC2B1FE7CF331FA083A78E499AED47CB1AD/

That is quickly suppressed as he reverts back to the Bestia sprite immediately afterwards: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....333/E289E97C82EB89709C8DCD25699824F61D5F9732/

This constant rejection of his own humanity is a prevailing theme throughout the rest of the tale, which you got a glimpse of here without even realizing.

MilkBeard

Just finished the Third Door. I love VNs and I trust the recommendations here, so I'll play this till the end, but so far the game has been incredibly lackluster.

I don't think VNs inherently need twists so I would be fine if the writing was actually fun, but most of it reads like filler. I mean most dialogue is there as buildup but, so far, there is zero world building so all dialogue is focused on describing the 2 or 3 characters of the door. It gets really repetitive.

I have to say though, the OST is on point. All tracks are well integrated in the game and really add to the overall experience.

I think your interpretation of this "twist" is incorrect. See above post for clarification.
I also was thinking this merchant that got slaughtered had some connection at first, but in the end, was just nothing more than a stepping stone in the story.

just watched the backstage extra...

they announced some sort of spin-off for 2016, but i don't find anything! I guess it was delayed? Any news on that?

MilkBeard

It's funny, they pulled the trigger too quick with the "2016 yay!" thing. It's all good though, I can wait. Their work is quality, so it's worth it.

I feel bad about saying some page earlier that the singer were saying gibberish in the songs

I recognised some languages, but a lot seemed invented, i thought they intended to do something like nier! But it was in fact some dialect, like sicilian , they really put a lot of effort in it!

Also, i was surprised to hear a real french person, and not simply a japanese guy reading french like in a lot of japanes games (i would know since it's my language)

Jimrpg

I feel bad about saying some page earlier that the singer were saying gibberish in the songs

I recognised some languages, but a lot seemed invented, i thought they intended to do something like nier! But it was in fact some dialect, like sicilian , they really put a lot of effort in it!

Also, i was surprised to hear a real french person, and not simply a japanese guy reading french like in a lot of japanes games (i would know since it's my language)

Some of the songs are in Portuguese, at least that's what I read.

Amazing soundtrack!

BTA

Oh wow. Had no clue about some of the songs. I knew I didn't understand the language, but couldn't put a finger on what language they were singing in.

If you bought the soundtrack on Steam, there are translated lyric cards included, so it was always clear to me that they were a real language (though I guess I wouldn't have assumed otherwise, Nier aside).

I (not speaking Portuguese) knew it was that because I'd looked up some of the untranslated lyrics, but I didn't know if they were actually written well or just translated from Japanese, potentially badly. Some Q&A with the writer at AX confirmed that Gao, the singer, actually is from (or maybe just lived in for a time?) Brazil.

That... also explains why they're all Portuguese despite the game's settings never being near there.

jonjonaug

I asked a similar question about this (why something like Portuguese was used so often when the characters aren't) at AX.

Hanada said that the singer, Gao, used to live in Brazil. So the language used in the songs is like this Japanese-Brazilian-Portuguese dialect or something.

Kevdo

You know what I was gonna make my post-impressions a compilation of my gripes since everyone's already talked about all the good stuff already

But I feel like that's not going to go over well so I'll just say that I'm glad I played it and leave it there.

Bought this during the Steam sale. Just starting out on the first door. Loving the atmosphere and the music. Not really sure what will happen but I am liking what I am experiencing.

Are there multiple endings to this?

Loz246789

Bought this during the Steam sale. Just starting out on the first door. Loving the atmosphere and the music. Not really sure what will happen but I am liking what I am experiencing.

Are there multiple endings to this?

structure spoilers pertaining to the above question:
Yes, but they're all bad ends, leading up to the actual ending. Just keep a few back up saves and you should be fine.

structure spoilers pertaining to the above question:
Yes, but they're all bad ends, leading up to the actual ending. Just keep a few back up saves and you should be fine.

Thanks!! Just finished the first door!! Loved the way the story went from giving me some kind of happiness then suddenly breaking it. Heard that the succeeding doors are better so will push through again.

Does anyone know why Husked Girlhood in game is different from it on OST? It plays in door 7 (
Michelle's Childhood
) and I think the in-game version is really better. I don't have OST but its sample on itunes is different

Does anyone know why Husked Girlhood in game is different from it on OST? It plays in door 7 (
Michelle's Childhood
) and I think the in-game version is really better. I don't have OST but its sample on itunes is different
Do you mean Girlhood In Shambles, perhaps? The track names are badly translated on Spotify (and iTunes I believe) so check that name on YouTube. Perhaps you'll find the arrangement you prefer.

Edit: holy FUCK I didn't listen to this song after playing the game somehow and GOD DAMN THIS HITS HARD

Top Bottom