• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Idolm@ster series has turned 11 today!

m0t0k1

maxresdefault.jpg
Man what a ride its been. Franchise started at the arcade a long time ago and has truly grown. From Xbox to DS to PS. We have seen it all started from the bottom. Here is a picture of the concerts.
There is also been a time line.

Found a nice interview with Harada talking about his love hate relationship with the franchise.:
- Harada used to hate Idolm@ster, because he was forced to play the game to attract customers in a game center. Idolm@ster was something new at the time and not many people play it. Harada who was going back and forth to collect Tekken data at game centers met an angry (game center) owner who told him to do something about it, just because Harada is a Namco employee and must take responsibility. "Play here until the shop closes!" Harada ended up playing it alone until the shop closed, paying from his own pocket.

- Harada then got involved with Idolm@ster again when he was requested Tekken costumes for using in Idolm@ster. He didn't like the idea but complied, because they're in the same company. When he saw Iori in Xiaoyu costume illustration, he had a flashback: "I used to play this girl (Iori) in the game center." "At that time, the owner was mad at me." He then realized that Idolm@ster and its idols share the same destiny, and they've grown popular. It started to grow on him.

- After that, Tekken music composer Akitaka Toyama who went to work on Idolm@ster had consulted Harada about wanting to make a song like Tekken 6's Karma (Electric Fauntain). The song became Next Life. When a test dance scene was made and shown to him, Harada perceived the girls like real people who practiced for their performance. He then formed a connection between him and the idols. That's when he started liking Idolm@ster.

- Harada accidentally tuned into episode 7 of Idolm@ster anime on the TV. He was emotionally moved by the scene of Iori eating bean sprouts. He said Iori is like Lili, a girl from a rich family. Trying to live a life (eating) like common people would be tough. The ability to allow him to observe the private life made him emotional and leads him to watch the entire anime. That's when he started the Iori roleplaying.

- Harada also treats the virtual idols like real colleagues.

- Beside Iori, Harada likes Yukiho whom he wants to see fight with a Russian martial art that utilizes shovel, because Yukiho was seen using shovel a lot. He also finds "lazy prodigy" Miki charming.

- Harada has never been to an Idolm@ster concert but want to go.

- The Iori T-shirt that Harada was wearing and all the goods (including the rabbit doll) he paid by himself. His wife was mad when the T-shirt was delivered under COD (cash on deliver). "Why is this T-shirt 8,000 yen! And who is this girl!?"

- Harada's team in Idolm@ster One For All (releasing May 15) will consist of Iori, Yukiho, Miki, Yayoi, and Hibiki. Yayoi is poor, so he thinks it's fun to group her with a rich girl like Iori. He picks Hibiki because she was funny in the anime.
link to interview

For me I was back in 2007 when i was interested in a XBOX 360 and DOA saw some other games announced in a while and saw this game called Idolm@ster. I got hooked on the concept since i love me some managing sims. Played it but didn't understand a lot of japanese. But the characters where cute and fun. So i started to take more note. and got more involved with the franchise reading the manga and listen to drama cds. So i got more and more invested in the franchise.

Once Platinum stars come out i will probably form my favorite team. Miki, Takane, Hibiki known as project fairy. They have a nice balance since all of them meet a different kind of aspect. being visual, voice and dance. plus i love their quirkiness and go great together with their personalities. and in 2 days the new ps4 game will release. So guys i am interested with your experience with the franchise how you came in contact with it.

inb4 beserk jokes.

m0t0k1

Lucky Chloe confirmed for next Ironmaster lol

We never got one of the games correct? :/

We got the Shiny Festa games translated on IOS in english and it only released in 4 countries. It also had amazing prices just $50 dollar a game which where a psp spin off rhythm game devided in 3 games with different idols for each. The PSP games also got a fan translation but that game is based of the 1st vision. All the characters has been redesigned for Idolmaster 2 and soon coming Platinum Stars. Its called the second vision.

m0t0k1

AND I WILL STAY LOYAL TO MY FAVORITE GIRL IN THE SERIES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

the rest of the idols are great too

LOL Yayoi finally provided with money. Love the face woody makes.

I haven't even played the game, but clearly I thought this through!

It depends. In the newer games you can make more teams and run the whole production instead of an idol group. In for All for example i also like to go fully focused teams. Like a whole voice team for example. because some contests are all about that and some are about beating a rival. So its also good to mix up. But a balanced team is also good.

11 years and I've still been unable to play the games and make Miki into the star she truly deserves to be.

Lol i failed Im@s 2 a lot of times by making wrong decisions. She never got to be a star
i should read a wiki for this game it has a pretty indept one.

Ultimadrago

To give a better post: I got into Idolmaster through the anime. AnimeGAF spoke a lot of the series at a time and my curiousity finally got the better of me. I ended up liking the anime alright and afterwards decided to try out one of the PSP games, which is where I solidified my favorite. I never really got into the 360 one as I didn't have any help with translation, but I have been fond of 765 since.

I couldn't finish Cinderella Girls, but they have some character I enjoy as well: Anzu, Koume, Nao mostly. I didn't care for it at all at first, but I suppose its nice that they gave more spotlight to their mobile characters.

P.S. I claim Yayoi's episode also as the real Iori episode. Best one in the anime.

Sheentak

Really wish if we could get a english release. its 11 years other than the mobile game we got nothing.
I feel a sub only release could be worth it?

m0t0k1

To give a better post: I got into Idolmaster through the anime. AnimeGAF spoke a lot of the series at a time and my curiousity finally got the better of me. I ended up liking the anime alright and afterwards decided to try out one of the PSP games, which is where I solidified my favorite. I never really got into the 360 one as I didn't have any help with translation, but I have been fond of 765 since.

I couldn't finish Cinderella Girls, but they have some character I enjoy as well: Anzu, Koume, Nao mostly. I didn't care for it at all at first, but I suppose its nice that they gave more spotlight to their mobile characters.

P.S. I claim Yayoi's episode also as the real Iori episode. Best one in the anime.

Nice memories thanks for sharing. I also think Iori was great in the movie. Its fun to experience iori in the games too. She is a handfull always looking for the producer to step it up. But she means well. I am not that much into the CG girls but i do like the ML series quite a bit.

Really wish if we could get a english release. its 11 years other than the mobile game we got nothing.
I feel a sub only release could be worth it?

Probably because they think the audience isn't there. Its true that the west is probably not willing to spend $2k+ dollars on DLC. And that is the big money maker for the series. they sell around 100k games in japan per entry although it was a bit more popular during the anime.But it is possible the Love Live mobile game is doing great and Hatsune Miku is also very popular so yeah i hope one day they will try.

A friend of mine was a big fan and made me want to try it after I had watched Love Live! This was around early 2015 and I pretty much fell in love with it. I ended up getting all 3 Shiny Festa games on a sale and picked up One for All sometime later, which was so great. Deresute followed soon after and has pretty much consumed me.
(765 Stage when)
The series is very dear to me and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong today after all this time.

Us AmiMamiPs are few, but mighty ;-;

I don't know much about the series but I've always thought it was really neat that they have that one guy as an idol, and he actually has a more masculine body shape as opposed to just being a copy paste job with the girls like most guys of that nature end up being in these sorts of things.

765 are too old to be idoling now, someone needs to put them out of their misery. I tried watching the 2014 movie recently and it bored the bananas off me. The Cinderella Girls are the iM@S future. Or Aqours.

m0t0k1

A friend of mine was a big fan and made me want to try it after I had watched Love Live! This was around early 2015 and I pretty much fell in love with it. I ended up getting all 3 Shiny Festa games on a sale and picked up One for All sometime later, which was so great. Deresute followed soon after and has pretty much consumed me.
(765 Stage when)
The series is very dear to me and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong today after all this time.

Us AmiMamiPs are few, but mighty ;-;

I also like the twins but like Mami more. Its good that you get to play the games. Only thing that is a bit disappointing is that every progress the girl makes gets ditched in the next game. But it has different nuances in every game which is why i still like to play every new game.

765 are too old to be idoling now, someone needs to put them out of their misery. I tried watching the 2014 movie recently and it bored the bananas off me. The Cinderella Girls are the iM@S future. Or Aqours.

CG and 765 can co exist. Its like saying nintendo should stop making Donkey Kong games because this plumber guy is more popular then DK these days. Maybe they are going to put more focus on CG altough i am expecting them to put more work in Million Love. 765 will always be around in some way or another. But i can see Bamco slowely shifting to a new generation of girls. When playing the Starlight Stage game i can see why some of the girls are fun. But for me there are way to many. If you want your favorite girl in a gasha you have a smaller chance of her to be appearing since there are 200 other girls in line.

I watched the anime and stuff, but I never truly got into iM@S until I played Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage. Everyone else is irrelevant, the true best girl of the franchise is Queen Kanade Hayami.

MYVz5rp.jpg

rpmurphy

- The Iori T-shirt that Harada was wearing and all the goods (including the rabbit doll) he paid by himself. His wife was mad when the T-shirt was delivered under COD (cash on deliver). "Why is this T-shirt 8,000 yen! And who is this girl!?"
ROFL

Worth it for Iorin~

I got into the series with listening to the Master Artist soundtracks, and now I have a bit too much im@s stuff.

I was really late getting into the franchise (last year) but it was so worth it. Love the characters so much. I'm looking forward to playing Platinum Stars but I'm holding off for a bit in hopes of a decent translation guide.

Also Takane is the best iDOLM@STER character

Got into it thanks to the CG anime so I'm predisposed to be biased towards Uzuki, but I pretty much enjoy most of the franchises now. Wish there were more localized content, I hope that changes going forward.

The lack of SideM in the timeline though.

Top Bottom