• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

Now why is Temple Run 2 an alleged 45MB download but takes up 130MB+ of space?

45MB download size (compressed), 130MB installed (uncompressed.) Generally devs will try to keep the download size below 50MBs so that users can download the game off 3G/LTE Internet to accommodate impulse purchases.

Regarding Cook, Serve, Delicious! - what exactly is it like? To me, it's massively unappealing and basically looks like a slightly more in-depth version of Cooking Mama? Is that right? It's one of the only games I can think of where I want to try it purely based on hype alone - you all seem to love it!

Kind of like Cookong Mama, but instead of making dishes at your leisure and being graded on them you're taking orders at a restaurant. The game is about prioritizing orders, people in line will get impatient and leave if you don't get to them soon enough.

After each day of operation you spend money on new recipes, new equipment for the kitchen that let you make new foods, upgrades to old items that make them increase their selling price, and equipment like a tip jar that can increase your earnings and a dishwasher that cuts down on the dishes you have to clean (along with taking food orders you occasionally have to squeeze in chores between customers).

Choosing which recipe to buy is important because the menu affects how people feel about your restaurant. Too many fatty foods or foods like fish that people don't want to smell at certain times of the day create negative buzz. Healthy menu items and ones that can be taken to go create positive buzz. Some items like soup create extra positive buzz on rainy days. Some items also become boring to customers after being on the menu for awhile and need to be swapped out to keep the menu fresh.

So it's kind of like Cooking Mama except the actual cooking part is a lot simpler and it has the time management and managerial aspects.

45MB download size (compressed), 130MB installed (uncompressed.) Generally devs will try to keep the download size below 50MBs so that users can download the game off 3G/LTE Internet to accommodate impulse purchases.

It's be nice if they could include the uncompressed data size too.

I don't what the logistics behind this are but it'd be cool too if some games could have optional downloads of high-res assets. For example have a small size Clash of Heroes for people who have a 16GB device or just don't care about the graphics, and then have a download for the high-res art for people who want it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There's a free 'lite' version of CSD on the App Store as well. Give it a spin and it should give you a good idea of what the game is like. :)

PFD

There's a battle in CoH where you're not supposed to hit a certain unit. Problem is, he randomly moves around every turn, and your attacks are generally initiated several turns in advance. So it comes down to how lucky/unlucky you are. Shit is frustrating, on my 4th attempt now.

I hope there aren't more gimmicks like this in later fights.

There's a battle in CoH where you're not supposed to hit a certain unit. Problem is, he randomly moves around every turn, and your attacks are generally initiated several turns in advance. So it comes down to how lucky/unlucky you are. Shit is frustrating, on my 4th attempt now.

I hope there aren't more gimmicks like this in later fights.

Are you sure it's random? I'm sure those moves are scripted so you can plan for them

PFD

Are you sure it's random? I'm sure those moves are scripted so you can plan for them

I beat it now. As far as I could tell, he moves one step every turn, so you can somewhat anticipate his path. However, your opponent can block/surround him and cause him to stand still.

At any rate, I'm glad that fight is over. The game itself is quite fun.

Edit: The BG:EE update is up!

CoLaN

I bought Banana Kong not expecting much, but i have to admit that im liking it a lot. The art style is also pretty good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm just now getting around to playing Dungelot and I love it! Too bad there are no achievements...

Yeah, the lack of cheevos is odd, especially since it has GameCenter support. Maybe it'll happen in a future update.

I'm still hooked. I suck, though, still haven't made it to the 25th floor yet. :(

Yeah, the lack of cheevos is odd, especially since it has GameCenter support. Maybe it'll happen in a future update.

I'm still hooked. I suck, though, still haven't made it to the 25th floor yet. :(

It took me a little while for it all to "click" and now I see the strategy. Should I continue to level up my Paladin or move on to the Vampire I just unlocked?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not much meat there. Anyway, welcome back. Glad you're doing well. Has it been five months? Time flies when you're old.

But to answer your question (kinda), the first post should list recent games that are "worth" checking out.

Welcome back Dash!

Welcome back Dash

Good to know you're doing well, Dash!

Welcome back Dash!

Welcome back, dash!

So many games.

Welcome back, Dash ! Never had the pleasure of reading your posts but I can tell from my time here that you weren't forgotten and that many gaffers must be glad of this comeback.

For real? That makes me even sadder that I couldn't access GAF at all and reading that my iOS buddies kinda missed me... I definitely missed you guys!
Thanks a lot for the kind words guys, it's good to be back! :)

aneibfmakshdbwjajjzhcbdnsskxbrhe I emailed you dash asking if you were ok and no response forever I thought you were dead jdbrnsodhwbwisjabwodifjebs

I wasn't kiddin'/exaggeratin' when I said I was not only GAF-less and iPad-less, but also internet-less!
I haven't read an email or surfed the web or accessed PSN/Game Centet for 5 long months! Sorry you were worried about me mate :(

Interesting comments regarding the iPad Mini as I've been trying to decide between the Mini and the 4th gen iPad for weeks now, it's been driving me crazy, form factor vs specs....., hard choice, I think after reading your post I'm veering more towards the 4th gen iPad now though.

It depends on where your priorities are, really. Both are good at what they do.
There's also a massive difference in price.

The Mini has the best form factor of any tablet I've ever used. For games playing, it's tremendous. (I haven't even noticed the slowdown on the Cave apps, but I'm obsessive about keeping no apps running in the background etc.)

I've tested everything with no apps running savestates in the background (not that it would make any difference anyway). It's impossibile NOT to notice a MASSIVE difference with DDP:R HD Lite versus DDP:R.
There's a world of difference, rock solid 60fps fpr the latter versus 30fps w/ constant slowdowns for the former.
Smartphone mode goes as far as being unplayable. Do the comparison yourself amd report back what your impressions are with the test.

Dash, you come back and you say something crazy like the iPad mini isn't good for games? What did they do to you while you were gone? JK, welcome back to the fold.

Yeah, Mini is by far the best tablet for gaming right now. Kinda weird hearing Dash state otherwise.

I think it's an amazing device prone to a few problems I wasn't anticipating and as such they've been bumming me out more than they should, that's it,
I mean, I was so happy to play Pinball Arcade on the Mini (it even as iCade support now!) and to find out it performed poorly (real Pinball tables + physics must be 60fps or bust), basically the same as an old ass iPad1, disappointed me greatly.

My biggest problems with the mini is the lack of retina, lack of an official Apple Smart Case (LOVE my Smart Case), and that it still has the A5. Fix those or at least 2/3 of those and I'd grab one.

I'm not concerned by the lack of retina (I use Kindle for books) and anything else is good enough for me with its screen size, although I'd wish for better dpi). Form factor is amazing and not being familiar with the "smart case" I'm don't feel I'm missing out ;)
After going through countless covers and cases (up to a £39 model) in the end I've found a faux-leather notebook front/back cover which also protects the angles (which was were I botched my last iPad) and I'm pretty content with it... costed me £6, LOL!

wb dash!
that being said...
none of my friend bought an ipad mini so i couldn't check, luckily for me (not so much for you at this point...) you bought it and warned me that it sucks with gaming atm, so guess i'll pass :p i was a bit conflicted about buying that (i already have iphone 4s, 5, ipad2, ipad3, ipod nano) since i have nothing in the ios family with that form factor :X

Ahah :)
Nah, I feel I've been misinterpreted. My opinion is that the Mini far from sucks at gaming, in fact it's awesome and when the apps perform as intended (which is the *vast* majority) it's a bliss and much better than a regular iPad (also depending on how much you're affected by the lack of retina).
Too bad about performance tho, that concernes me even for support in the near future seeing as some (oldish!) stuff already struggles to run on the thing.
I dunno, maybe it's not a 1:1 minimized iPad 2 like I've been told and there's some downclocking involved with the processor? Another thing that bums me out is that battery life is much shorter than that of my iPad gen1 with cellular data/ON ! What the hell?!

I have a mini and i've compared it to my parents iPad with retina display and I really can't tell a difference.

No offense but you should have your eyes checked, stat! :D j/k

I don't even see how it's a question, really. The mini is a smaller iPad 2, end of story. The 4 not only has the retina screen but is also a full proper-generation more powerful (because the 3 was a fudge that was probably less powerful than the 2 when you consider the screen).

I'm pretty biased though, I really can't see any reason in the mini at all. My phone is my mini iPad :p

And welcome back Dash! Check the OPs for the previous few threads for some good new games. Next thread's on you, yeah? :D

Ahah, let someone else have fun with it for a (long) while before I pick a month myself ;)
I'd be more prone to get back with some iOS Challenge threads seeing as I'm still being contacted by devs/pubs about doing some offering swag and such for the competitions.
Also I'm pissed everybody's credited for something in the OP but me!! :p LOLZ

PFD

Just loaded my last BG save and finished it again to see the ending after the patch. I must say I prefer the original 1998 cgi video that I watched on YouTube. Yea it looked like ass, but it flowed better and made things more understandable.

Gonna replay the game at some point it he future as an 'evil' character.

PittaGAF

I think I read somewhere GC achivements are coming.
Floor 128 here :) (maxed out assasin)

Milla

Neo Member
We've got an update out for OREO: Twist, Lick Dunk :)

• New Football OREO cookie included.
• Unlock it for free it you play during the Big Game weekend
• Enjoy a 'Superwave' of Football cookies for big points.

heringer

Clash of Heroes is awesome. I'm a first timer too.

Edit: aaaand it reveals it's first bug to me. It never leaves the "syncing iCloud screen" now. That's great.

CoLaN

To add to my previous post... Temple Run 2 didnt really catch my attention for a long time, Pitfall was way more fun for me, and Banana Kong has been a really good experience. As an endless runner it is really addicting and seem quite balanced, even if the backgrounds do get repetitive - a minus that many of these games have. The leaderboards shows only 6k players and i do feel it deserves more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of Dungelot, I love it but it's totally uncool how it doesn't save my progress mid-game. If I leave it minimized for a certain amount of time, it will be reset to the title screen when I return to it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Guys... Pixel People coming next week is SO GOOD. I went to check it out for a few minutes this afternoon and it consumed a couple of hours.

It's a town builder with a style close to Nimblebit, but combined with a "gene combination" system like Doodle God. It has lots of very cute personality. You start with two professions, and mixing professions together unlocks new ones, which in turn unlocks new buildings, etc.

After a couple hours it slows down enough that you can play by checking in a couple times a day, but man... it's already got its hooks into me pretty good.

PittaGAF

Clash of Heroes is awesome. I'm a first timer too.

Edit: aaaand it reveals it's first bug to me. It never leaves the "syncing iCloud screen" now. That's great.

Close the app in the springboard and reload letting the splash screens take their time (do not double tap to skip).
Had the same problem 1 hour ago and so I resolved.

heringer

Close the app in the springboard and reload letting the splash screens take their time (do not double tap to skip).
Had the same problem 1 hour ago and so I resolved.

Tried that and it didn't work. Only thing that worked was deleting the data from iCloud.

Back to playing, but I don't think I will share saves between my devices. I simply don't trust the port.

That's one thing that bug me with iOS. It's very hard to trust releases in their original form. It's so easy to patch that every dev releases their apps ASAP with very little QA.

dream

sigh, just had the same problem, heringer. At first I thought it was a mistake picking my game up on my iPhone 5, since I find it nigh-unplayable on that tiny screen. Then my save gets corrupted...

heringer

Second bug found. Time played is screwed up. Played less than 2 hours and the save file says I've played almost 10. This one os fairly common apparently.

Yeah, I'm done with this until the first update. To those on the fence, I would say wait. Game seems riddled with bugs and I would hate to find a game breaking one after dozens of hours.

Biff

Anyone else dealing with a lot of glitches in Temple Run 2?

The Minor Miner achievement is really bugged. Lifetime coins seems to reset after each run, which makes getting 100,000 lifetime impossible. Frustrating.

chris121580

Man, I've spent at least 2 or 3 hours trying to get past the boss at the top of the tree in Clash of Heroes. Any advice? I think I may need to go back and buy some horses. Or is there any way to grind in this game? It doesn't seem like there is

teekun

Man, I've spent at least 2 or 3 hours trying to get past the boss at the top of the tree in Clash of Heroes. Any advice? I think I may need to go back and buy some horses. Or is there any way to grind in this game? It doesn't seem like there is

If its the same as the DS/PSN versions you can grind. Some areas have random encounters. Any cave, for example.

chris121580

If its the same as the DS/PSN versions you can grind. Some areas have random encounters. Any cave, for example.

Ok, thanks. My hero is level 4 and everyone else is 3s and 2s and I've been getting my ass kicked. I think I may need to grind some more first

Zeth

Should I play Clash of Heroes on iPhone 5, iPad 3, or Mini? I'm thinking iPad 3 for the resolution (is it high res?) and because I have the most space there.

Also Dash! I can't replicate your problem with DDP:R HD on the Mini. It runs like it does on my other devices. Now you've got me thinking though, will have to try them side by side. Are you sure you're not just used to playing with "wait control" off? It prevents the intended slowdown when things get hectic.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yup! They said it should work on pretty much every iOS device and be at 60fps too. Looking to see how it turns out. I have high hopes seeing how the guy helped create wipeout for the PS1.

Have played a few builds of this during dev. Graphics and frame rate are great, even on my crappy iPhone 4.

Anyone else dealing with a lot of glitches in Temple Run 2?

The Minor Miner achievement is really bugged. Lifetime coins seems to reset after each run, which makes getting 100,000 lifetime impossible. Frustrating.

The lifetime coins total listed on the stats screen seems to be completely screwed up, but it hasn't interfered with me getting the objectives.

The bug I've been most annoyed by is sometimes your character doesn't slow down when a boost ends and I run right off the edge.

chris121580

Should I play Clash of Heroes on iPhone 5, iPad 3, or Mini? I'm thinking iPad 3 for the resolution (is it high res?) and because I have the most space there.

Also Dash! I can't replicate your problem with DDP:R HD on the Mini. It runs like it does on my other devices. Now you've got me thinking though, will have to try them side by side. Are you sure you're not just used to playing with "wait control" off? It prevents the intended slowdown when things get hectic.

It'll work on any of them but ipad 3 should be your first choice because of the resolution. Kind of difficult to play on the iPhone 5 but it's still possible. Easier to make mistakes though

Alright, I have 19 Rayman Jungle Run codes up for grabs. Works only on US iTunes Store. PM me if you want one. I'll update this post if all codes are gone. If they're not all claimed, I'll probably offer the leftovers on another forum.

Edit: All gone. :]
Lol was gonna ask but I see I'm to slow...lol

PFD

2-3 hours? Damn you must be severely underleveled or something. I have yet to do any grinding, but I did finish all the side quests that I ran into, and they give a large xp bonus. So be sure to do them.

As for the boss, I had no trouble fighting him, but I kept hitting the damn Druid when the boss had like 4hp. Took me 6 tries to beat him.

GMM

Banned
The Room is an amazing experience.

I can only agree to that. The Room is a great example of a game built around the platform it's on and it really shows in the overall experience.

I would still say that the Kairosoft games are my favorite games on iOS, i waste so much time on those and they are so good.

The overall best iOS game i have played is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, but to be fair it was only because i never got the chance to play it when it originally came out.

PittaGAF

Tried that and it didn't work. Only thing that worked was deleting the data from iCloud.

Back to playing, but I don't think I will share saves between my devices. I simply don't trust the port.

That's one thing that bug me with iOS. It's very hard to trust releases in their original form. It's so easy to patch that every dev releases their apps ASAP with very little QA.

Sorry to hear that.
Happened to me several times already (I always forget to put my iPhone out of airplane mode...when I remember and reload I get the message) and I always resolved just closing and re-opening.
Let's hope they patch it soon.

I played many hours yesterday night, fortunately I have none of the problems many seems to experience and I can say the game is really awesome.
I fought a Necromancer....tried several times when I finally managed to kill him.
So good, soooooooo good.

EDIT: Loving those little animated skeletons and shades.

PittaGAF

Well I would say the iPad 3 (it has iCloud sharing so it's not really a problem, IF it works for you...works for me but other as you can read have problems).
On iPhone (4S here) it's tiny but this hasn't prevented me to play 3 hours straight on iPhone yesterday.
Can't say about iPad mini...but it should be fine there also.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just loaded my last BG save and finished it again to see the ending after the patch. I must say I prefer the original 1998 cgi video that I watched on YouTube. Yea it looked like ass, but it flowed better and made things more understandable.

Gonna replay the game at some point it he future as an 'evil' character.

Samesies, although I've not finished it up yet. I have one final quest left on the TotSC expansion but the demon enemy is so powerful I don't know if I can be arsed to finish the fight when I can totally beat the end boss anyway and I'm not going to level up again before the end.

I get the impression that playing evil would be super hard, especially for the first few levels but I would be interested in exploring some more of the game now that I understand how it works properly. Might even keep a healer in my team this time too :p

roll on Baldur's Gate II!

btw I think we might be the only people that played this game... quick question to all you out there in iOS land, do you actually finish the big games you buy? Like BG or GTA or Final Fantasy? I do, but I get the impression that not many others do.

PittaGAF

btw I think we might be the only people that played this game... quick question to all you out there in iOS land, do you actually finish the big games you buy? Like BG or GTA or Final Fantasy? I do, but I get the impression that not many others do.

I do (story wise games or 'completable' games).
Since I started gaming 40 years ago or so, I always completed the games I got...it's an habit of mine.
I buy and complete one (story) game per time....I do not buy almost anything else till I complete the game.
I do not buy that many games, and I'm a bit picky so generally what I buy turns out not to be crap.

That's why I'm totally unaffected by iOS buying frenzy, sales or having 10000 games on my devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom