• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

That was my first impression but after about 15 minutes it "clicked" for me.

I put in about three hours with it, but it never quite felt like "fun" to me. It was a decent time-waster, but I never felt fully satisfied by playing it.

With that being said, looks like it's free right now (or will be later tonight).

Pachimari

I've just seen the Blitz Brigade trailer and yes Gameloft seem to be taking the copying a bit far with this one.

Characters "inspired" by Team Fortress 2.

But...how is Heroes of Order & Chaos?? Is it a competent League of Legends clone? Or DOTA 2 clone?
Is Blitz Brigade that Team Fortress 2 inspired FPS from the leak?

PFD

The best part is BG is actually a relatively poor game compared to its sequel and other similar titles. Good times ahead.

Yeah I'm looking forward to BG2, heard so many great things about it.

I have played Planescape: Torment, which was phenomenal.

CronoShot

Well, just got an iPad 4 (which I'm currently using to post). Any good iPad only games I may have missed? Probably gonna get Baldur's Gate at least.

Just started playing Dungelot, would you guys recommend switching from Paladin to the Brewer when you unlock him? seems like his abilities are slightly better. Ive only upgraded Holy Strike once, and the Paladin Manual twice. Ive got enough cash to drop 2 upgrades into the Brewer Manual right now.

Dungelot broke my heart - I was about to unlock the Assassin and go even further. Floor 27, Compass, Lantern, Map, Resurrection Stone, HP Ring, 200+ health, etc.

And then I was asked to take a picture on my phone. After that, I returned to the game right away and saw that it had reset itself.

I'm not playing Dungelot again until they fix these kinds of stability problems. I just can't. :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mushroom Wars is on sale for a dollar after launching 4 days ago at 50% off for a limited time at $2.99...lol.

What the...man, how in the world is that a smart move. I mean, they take advantage of being featured by Apple...but instead of holding that $2.99 price point and then slashing that to create some buzz after they've left the front page of the app store, they cut the price now, with only two IAPs in the game that just unlock content early, squandering pretty much their entire revenue opportunity.

Dumb dumb dumb. They'll need to sell three times as much now to make what they were making before...was being featured not enough for them? Gah!

Then again I just bought it now, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :p

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I like to ask every once in a while because it hasn't seemed to happen yet. Is there a good Zelda clone on the app store yet? Not that crappy Gameloft game either. I want something with dungeons and puzzles. 2D or 3D, doesn't matter. I have Swordigo already.

ToxicAdam

Alright, I like to ask every once in a while because it hasn't seemed to happen yet. Is there a good Zelda clone on the app store yet? Not that crappy Gameloft game either. I want something with dungeons and puzzles. 2D or 3D, doesn't matter. I have Swordigo already.

Across Age is okay. Some ppl love it.

Heel

What the...man, how in the world is that a smart move. I mean, they take advantage of being featured by Apple...but instead of holding that $2.99 price point and then slashing that to create some buzz after they've left the front page of the app store, they cut the price now, with only two IAPs in the game that just unlock content early, squandering pretty much their entire revenue opportunity.

Dumb dumb dumb. They'll need to sell three times as much now to make what they were making before...was being featured not enough for them? Gah!

Then again I just bought it now, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :p

Ahh, I didn't know they just got featured. Maybe they're using the opportunity to get the game in the hands of as many people as possible, hoping the word of mouth and momentum pays off more than 3 fold down the road? Shrug.

The AppStore just seems like a high stakes gambling game that no one's quite mastered yet.

But yeah, maybe they are geniuses. I'm about to buy it too, lol.

Sye d'Burns

Dungelot broke my heart - I was about to unlock the Assassin and go even further. Floor 27, Compass, Lantern, Map, Resurrection Stone, HP Ring, 200+ health, etc.

And then I was asked to take a picture on my phone. After that, I returned to the game right away and saw that it had reset itself.

I'm not playing Dungelot again until they fix these kinds of stability problems. I just can't. :(

That's no stability problem. That's working as the developer intended. He hasn't coded in a resume for the game yet. I'd have been fired up all the same. My sympathies.

PFD

Ocean Horn which is coming out soonish should be of interest to you.

But yeah, maybe they are geniuses. I'm about to buy it too, lol.

I just did. So maybe their sale tactic is working, heh.

Card Boy

Banned
Mushroom Wars is on sale for a dollar after launching 4 days ago at 50% off for a limited time at $2.99...lol.

How is this thing?

Always happens on iOS, not sure if they are scamming people or just desperate. Happens serveral times a week. I look at Appshopper daily so i know its common occurrence.

UW749.png

Just from the past couple of days.

Also The Creeps is free. It's very similar to Carrot Fantasy.

SteveWD40

That's no stability problem. That's working as the developer intended. He hasn't coded in a resume for the game yet. I'd have been fired up all the same. My sympathies.

He has fixed it now but the update is in approval iirc. He posted a screenshot on TA of a "Continue" button on the menu screen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just putting this out there, I'd be willing to host February's thread as well, unless anybody is dying to try it themselves that is. :)

BooJoh

I previously bought Dungelot via IAP in the lite version. Is it possible to copy the save to the regular version? Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to iOS.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I previously bought Dungelot via IAP in the lite version. Is it possible to copy the save to the regular version? Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to iOS.

Should be possible via i-Funbox, see OP's FAQ section about how to back-up save games.

The AppStore just seems like a high stakes gambling game that no one's quite mastered yet.

I think some people are coming close to mastering it, on the F2P side, mostly by the sheer amount of money they can throw at it.

On the paid side its a very different game. Companies (esp small ones) think the best tool they have is SALE, when quite often its the opposite.

GeoGonzo

About Clash of Heroes: Keasar, i found that when moving around the world it's much easier to swap anywhere on the screen in the direction you want your character to go, instead of tapping the destination.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the second campaign and really enjoying the game: Top-notch music and animation, charming designs and dialogue, good difficulty curve without grinding or paywalls... completely exceeded my expectations.

PittaGAF

About Clash of Heroes: Keasar, i found that when moving around the world it's much easier to swap anywhere on the screen in the direction you want your character to go, instead of tapping the destination.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the second campaign and really enjoying the game: Top-notch music and animation, charming designs and dialogue, good difficulty curve without grinding or paywalls... completely exceeded my expectations.

I'm there too (end of second world).
Can't literally put the game down...the 'just one more quest' factor is killing me.
I had already sky high expectations for the game (I already played a bit of first world on XBOX360) but so far it is exceeding even those.
I wasn't really expecting the fights to be this fun, engaging and tactical (I'm contanstly swapping units) and so much variety (I love how they tweaked the gameplay mechanics in something new like the puzzle or the special fights).
Characters are really charming too.

I've read every type of problems around, but so far, besides the wrong timestamp on the saves slot I got none (knock of wood)...on the contrary I find it really well done on iPad (I love it's on iPhone too...but I use it just for puzzles or multiplayer).
Hands down GOTY contenter for the rest of the year for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

This has prevented me from firing it up as often as I'd like to. Why start a game when I might not be able to resume it often enough to maintain my progress? It kills my desire to play it in quick sessions throughout the day, even though the actual game is very well suited for it. Hopefully the update is out soon.

Flunkie

Banned

Maybe that's how they're keeping it rolling?

Half-Inch Heist is out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id559787622?mt=8

Someone posted a trailer a few days back and it looked good, downloading now but I won't be able to play for awhile. Anyone try it yet? It's free, so how is the IAP implementation?

It's fun, I haven't run into any IAPs problems. It's only used to buy gold you don't need. My problem with it is that any finger is too wide a circumference to see the diamond, and even the slightest glance will blow the diamond up. It'd be way better if you "dragged" the diamond behind your finger and got used to the physics that way, so you could at least see the edges of the diamond the whole time.

It's really fun and ingenious, but that makes it hard to enjoy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I played briefly and it was hard to track the diamond behind my finger. I mean, you have a general idea of where it is, but precise movements are difficult when the size of your finger tip is several times larger than the diamond. And I have pretty dainty hands and fingers.

Yeah, I played briefly and it was hard to track the diamond behind my finger. I mean, you have a general idea of where it is, but precise movements are difficult when the size of your finger tip is several times larger than the diamond. And I have pretty dainty hands and fingers.

Same here, exact same reaction.

TOW, NOT PUSH, DEVS! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Yeah, it doesn't seem to suspend properly, which for a game like this is a big problem.

WoolyNinja

For those with only an iPad, Half-Inch Heist still looks great due to the type of graphics they chose. I will agree that the one main issue, even on an iPad, is that you can't exactly tell where the diamond is due to it being directly under your finger. Otherwise fun little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom