• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row

Banned
Besides TTR any other good recent freebies?

trying to avoid paid apps for a bit, been spending too much lately

EYEL1NER

Fuck. How long's Trials been out for? I bought Bike Baron a few months back because there wasn't anything Trials-y on the App Store. Must buy then. Hope it's not too pricey.
Appshopper says it has been out since Oct. Appshopper also says it is still free at the moment.
So if you're able to grab it now, you might as well get it. 32 levels felt really short, but it was still a good time getting to the end.

Also, holy shit at Beat Hazard. Tried it for two songs this morning before sleeping and I really enjoyed it. I could easily see this being a problem for epileptics though. So many flashing lights! Nice to be able to get a really good twin-stick shooter/shmup for a buck on iOS, instead of Cave prices.
Edit: Definintly going to have to play it with headphones though, because my finger covered the speakers on my 4S when I was holding it landscape for one-stick mode. Although since I was in bed and didn't want to wake my wife and kid, I did have the volume hardly up. Maybe having it louder will balance it out.

Reese-015

Impressed with how perfectly they ported Beat Hazard, it really looks the same as the pc version with all its graphical craziness intact. It's really surprising cause I assumed there would be a lot of shader code etc that would be hard to port but they did it and it runs really smoothly half of the time on my iPhone 4.

Unfortunately, the other half of the time, when things get really intense, the framerate does suffer a bit. Turning visual intensity down to 50% helps and the visuals don't suffer too much from it at all but the game still doesn't stay as smooth as it should. This type of game really requires a constantly smooth framerate to really provide that overwhelming synaesthetic experience.

Infinity Field on Insane Mode + soundtrack of your own choice is still the trippiest and most fun twin stick shooter experience on the platform imo and it magically sticks to its super smooth 60 fps even when things get totally nuts.

Also recently quickly tried out Paper Monsters, Crimsonheart, Bean's Quest and Crazy Hedgy, all of which seem pretty great but haven't played em that much yet.

Still digging Infinity Blade 2 more and more as I play New Game+. The book is actually pretty damn good too, provides solid lore and explains a lot, very engaging stuff.

MarkusRJR

I just spent $20 more on iOS games/apps (I spent $50 last month). I'm done with buying apps now (not really but I'll contain my urges ;P). What are some good free apps? For freebies I already have Order Up!!, Temple Run, Mega Jump, Nyan Cat (along with the other Nyan Cat games), Robots Wants Kitty, and Jetpack Joyride.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK, Beat Hazard looks fucking sick, downloaded that. Will play it in a little while. A shame I don't realyl have any choons on my iPad, I prefer the twinsticks on there, espeically if you get slowdown on the iPhone 4. I'll see how it plays anyway.

conman

Load of shit is way too harsh. The hard and expert levels do have shit design though that the controls are ill-equipped to handle. The easy and medium levels are good fun though, and the controls are adequate for them.
I've come around a bit more to Bike Baron. For a long while, I was convinced the hard and expert levels were totally cheap. I recently started playing again, and found I could sail through some of those hard levels that I used to think were unfair or impossible with the controls. Either my iOS dexterity has improved, or the game is better than I gave it credit for.

But I also didn't know there were genuine Trials games on iOS. Gah!

raiot

Hm, first try DDP DOJ with Typ A - Laserdoll only 1 life lost and 97mil score. Place 17 on the list! I guess as soon as the crazy shmup addicts start playing i will loose this place very fast! :)

SmokyDave

OK, Beat Hazard looks fucking sick, downloaded that. Will play it in a little while. A shame I don't realyl have any choons on my iPad, I prefer the twinsticks on there, espeically if you get slowdown on the iPhone 4. I'll see how it plays anyway.

There's also a single stick option which I was going to test on my last smoke-break until I remembered I'd bought DDP: BD.

Man, I love 2D shooters on iOS. I remember a time (pre-2005) where it looked like the genre was dead in the west. Now I have a handful of Cave games everywhere I go.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
I remember a TD game being praised around here a few weeks ago, but the name escapes me. It was TD in reverse, where you control the hordes instead of the defenders. Anyone know what im referring to?

Hm, first try DDP DOJ with Typ A - Laserdoll only 1 life lost and 97mil score. Place 17 on the list! I guess as soon as the crazy shmup addicts start playing i will loose this place very fast! :)

What difficulty were you playing on? I was being all purist last night and picked Hell (which is actually the normal Arcade difficulty) and turned off autobomb... never made it to the stage 2 midboss =/

raiot

Just normal and autobomb, but this was my very first try of DOJ ever. (Ok, i played the first stage on mame 1 time...).

Next stop is hard!
But i still have to 1cc Mushi Maniac on hard... Hm, what to do first?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There's also a single stick option which I was going to test on my last smoke-break until I remembered I'd bought DDP: BD.

Man, I love 2D shooters on iOS. I remember a time (pre-2005) where it looked like the genre was dead in the west. Now I have a handful of Cave games everywhere I go.

Strong truth. I love how in the last 5 years SHMUPS and platformers have seen this meteoric rise back to the upper tiers of gaming. If you would have told me in 2005 that classic 2D platformers in 2012 were awesome, I would have laughed in your face.

On a different release-day tip, I've just played a spot of End Night ($2.99, made by a GAFfer) and it's actually really slick. It's a 3d top down survival game, you play a science dude and have to go out into a randomly generated zombie town to collect stuff like samples and weapons and such. After playing with it for about 20 mins I'm well impressed. The visuals are nice, it runs well and the controls don't screw you up at all. Really cool stuff.

My main criticism would be that it's too dark, I need some kind of gamma slider or something. Playing it in my office full of daylight I can barely see much of anything. It'll be fine at nighttime though I guess. Also (and I say this about every iPad game) the controls need to be in the centre of the screen, not at the bottom! Nobody holds their iPad like that, thumbs should always be resting comfortably in the middle of the screen. I would suggest either selectable control configs (for those freaks that actually like a top-heavy iPad) or customisable controls like GTA has.

Everything else so far is good fun though, I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. Shame it's such a monster week for games, I think this might get passed over.

Quikies83

Any iPhone 4 users pick up Pinball Arcade? If so, how does it perform? The last pinball game I bought for the device was "The Deep Pinball" - and it was meh.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any iPhone 4 users pick up Pinball Arcade? If so, how does it perform? The last pinball game I bought for the device was "The Deep Pinball" - and it was meh.

There's a few impressions in the OT here. I have no complaints I feel won't be addressed soon in updates, and for $1 Arabian Nights delivers plenty of enjoyment. Right now in some ways, I feel the game is perhaps better suited to the smaller screens, as they hide some of the lower quality assets.

There's a free version in addition to the $1 one, so there's no risk in finding out yourself! I think the free version nags you to buy the table, but in either version, all tables are free to play (demo), so you shouldn't get burnt on buying it if you try it first.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hot damn, Beat Hazard IS fucking sick. Love it so much, exactly my kind of game. This is going to rock on iPad something fierce.

Quikies83

There's a few impressions in the OT here. I have no complaints I feel won't be addressed soon in updates, and for $1 Arabian Nights delivers plenty of enjoyment. Right now in some ways, I feel the game is perhaps better suited to the smaller screens, as they hide some of the lower quality assets.

There's a free version in addition to the $1 one, so there's no risk in finding out yourself! I think the free version nags you to buy the table, but in either version, all tables are free to play (demo), so you shouldn't get burnt on buying it if you try it first.

Ah, thanks for the link.
Buying now!

SmokyDave

Hot damn, Beat Hazard IS fucking sick. Love it so much, exactly my kind of game. This is going to rock on iPad something fierce.

Mmm hmm. I've been playing it's full fat brother on the PC, through my home cinema, for months. It's fucking bliss. 200% visuals all the way.

EYEL1NER

Any opinions on Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart? Dropped to $.99.
Looks like it's a pretty old iOS game and hasn't been on sale since the middle of last year.
Is it worth getting if I already have the Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing port or is one kart racer not enough to have?

Blissful Death is great, no surprise there. I hope Darius Burst is good. That price tag is a little off putting but I can't get enough shmups action.

Looks like it's a pretty old iOS game and hasn't been on sale since the middle of last year.
Is it worth getting if I already have the Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing port or is one kart racer not enough to have?

When I had my iPod, I had Crash. It's fine, though just through connection to characters, Sonic resonates more with me. I can't speak or remember level design or control. That said, .99 for another kart game with more tracks seems like a win.

Honestly, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is the best kart racer on iOS. No need to mess with Crash, I didn't care for it at all.

plc268

Ugh, Beat Hazard just reminded me why I hate twin stick shooters on touch screens. I'm pretty good at beat hazard on the PC, but I can't get past 40% on a song here.

Zeth

Looks like Beat Hazard is the one to get lol. Can't hurt for $1 rite guyz?

I'm gonna revisit Bullet Time. No idea what the big update does.

Maybe the old devices have performance problems on later stages (Maybe Hell 2nd loop).

The post I linked to on shmups seems to indicate this is not the case, or at least not significantly enough to make a difference.

blissful death - anyone's achieveements actually being recorded? i see the pop-ups in-game but when i check game center, nothing. iphone 4.

I got a grand total of one achievement when I played for a minute or two last night and it registered correctly. I activated the OpenFeint support.

Lee N

Membre
Why am I getting ads in a game I just paid for?

AlOqHwVCAAAoocW.jpg

Seriously, what the hell Cave?

Lee N

Membre
I think that's an ad you're getting through that damn openfeint banner.
In my eyes, the entire Openfeint banner is an ad. I always click "I do not want these awesome features" when prompted about Openfeint. I hate achievements and I want nothing to do with Openfeint so why is it still bugging me - with ads about other games no less? I have no Openfeint account tied to my device and yet this is here, It's an eyesore...

Cave needs to ditch fucking OpenFeint (what a stupid name). Stick to Game Center, thanks.

They actually did for a while, but later patched the support back in. I guess people were actually using it?

I have mine attached and don't really mind since it doesn't affect me in any way beyond the title screen. Most of the time I'm in-game before it even has a chance to load.

Flunkie

Banned
Beat Hazard is recommended to play with a headache. Completely cures it.

And replaces it with a migraine.

In all seriousness, I didn't really like it on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom