• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joy of being part of the Master Race....

S0ULZB0URNE

So this is a negative PC thread?
G825vLy.gif

Fahdis

Umm, guys I know you all mean well to vent, but the point of the thread wasn't platform wars at all. I love PC gaming. 95% of shit just works. I made the thread because some stuff can be very daunting and its usually the Pub or Dev who don't really care about their games or community. The point was to have them be accountable.

This was the intention of the thread. So no S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The thing is, pc gaming isn't as straightforward as console gaming, full stop. The real problem is the level of patience, perseverance, technical knowledge and the will to play the said problematical title. I've been tinkering with pc for almost 30 years and have faced many many problems over generations, and everytime I've managed to overcome them. And I guess that's what evangelists talk about when praising the platform, the ability to play whatever you really (really!) want in it. You will face problems? Sure! Maybe will need to crack a thing you bought legally? Of course! Will maybe wait for a patch or an updated driver? Probably... The thing is, for us that enjoy tinkering with pcs, it's not an annoyance as it looks for those who don't like the platform, and we may oversell it on it's advantages (and there are many). But not everyone likes to mess with things in order to make games work. For those I just say, without being rude or sarcastic, stay on consoles. You will be much happier with the process, no matter how less straightforward consoles are now compared to 2 to 3 generations ago... Pc is improving with storefronts like Steam and Epic, but it is still far from the simplicity of consoles and the advantages aren't worth it when you don't enjoy the whole process of dealing with an open platform.

Great post. Yes, the beauty of PC is how open it is; but there's a downside to that freedom in that there are many more ways something can go wrong. Now for those with patience and a little technical know-how, there are very few problems that can't be managed. Be it your computer not posting or mod conflicts causing a game to CTD, each issue becomes something of a fun little exercise with a satisfying payoff.

But if you don't care for that sort of thing, if you don't want to experience any hassle when it comes to enjoying your time off with some gaming - which is perfectly reasonable - then consoles will always be there as a more suitable option. That's why I've always thought the doom-mongering over consoles dying off because of PC ports is extremely silly: by and large, they don't serve the same audience. How many parents are filling a Newegg cart with computer parts for 12-year old Timmy to assemble? How many working-age adults actually prefer to relax at home by sitting at a PC desk after a long day at the office? How many people would realistically give up the convenience and lower starting cost of consoles just because more games got ported to PC?

Danknugz

it's not about the problems it's how you handle them, and PC is about computing not just games. generally PC users are the engineering types and will find satisfaction from solving these kinds of problems and the learning process.

Humdinger

Hearing these stories is the sort of stuff that keeps me away from PC gaming. PC gamers will always say it's easy, hassle-free. But too many others talk about the hassles involved. I'm not a tech-oriented guy, and even upgrading my phone gives me a headache. I don't want to deal with any technical hassles at all, so I stay away. I remain a console peasant.

bender

What time is it?
Hearing these stories is the sort of stuff that keeps me away from PC gaming. PC gamers will always say it's easy, hassle-free. But too many others talk about the hassles involved. I'm not a tech-oriented guy, and even upgrading my phone gives me a headache. I don't want to deal with any technical hassles at all, so I stay away. I remain a console peasant.

At least you are happy and happiness is what this hobby is all about.

Guilty_AI

My advice for cases like this, if you're interested, is to start off with low-mid range or even general use PC builds, perhaps even some computer you already have laying at home. It's already enough to at least play some games that don't make it to consoles.

Those seem like carefully hand picked games to make a thread about. In the past 20-30 years of pc gaming, rarely do I have issues. It’s not that hard. Maybe gain a skill.

Last edited:
Let me just make it super simple... its these damn Publishers with their shitty ass launchers and their lack of support. My setup is an RTX 3090 with an i9-3900K.

- Downloaded GTA 4 CE
- Downloaded BFV
- Downloaded The Crew 2
All on Steam...

- Downloaded Forza Horizon 3 on Microsoft PC Store not sure if this is GFWL.

Now the common theme here is that all these games have their own launchers and even if you bought them on Steam, these turds will not play outside of the launchers.

- GTA 4 CE doesn't load due to some bug with the Social Club, the first pinned thread on Steam Discussions is how to start the game with more ways than I can even imagine. Uninstalled.

- BFV just introduce some sort of Anti-Cheat system on the EA App which for some reason has broken the game for many, including SP, the game just crashes on the splash screen. And Linux Users can't even boot the game at all as the option to play is grayed out. Uninstalled until further notice.

- The Crew 2 wouldn't start at all unless you manually went into the WEBSITE version of Ubisoft Connect and unlinked your Twitch and Amazon accounts. Of course Ubi also stole from us by graying out the Crew 1 as a rental. Redeemed for once.

- Forza Horizon 3, kept on stopping the download randomly and the game crashed randomly whenever it wanted. How am I supposed to finish this shit? Uninstalled.

I've not really had major issues if Steam is the only launcher. Someone please stop these fucking companies and their shitty ass launchers or have them at least bring QOL patches or make them accountable. For fucks sake!
A 3rd gen i9 with a 3090? Holy bottleneck Batman!

Rubim

Unfortunately, downloading and immediately playing something is not always part of PC gaming. You're lucky enough if the issues you are experiencing are well documented and can be fixed with a little effort. If not, this is where the real problems begin.

This is something you won't often hear on Gaf though, most PC evangelists here will insist they have never experienced any issues and everything just works which couldn't be further from the truth.
That's because your argument is stupid.
It's not that there"s no issues, is that most issues have fixes on pcgamingwiki.

It is what you get for having infinite backlog compatibility.

Also it's 100% the user's fault.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Unfortunately, downloading and immediately playing something is not always part of PC gaming. You're lucky enough if the issues you are experiencing are well documented and can be fixed with a little effort. If not, this is where the real problems begin.

This is something you won't often hear on Gaf though, most PC evangelists here will insist they have never experienced any issues and everything just works which couldn't be further from the truth.
I never experience those issues lol I just buy a game, download it, whenever I want to play it turn the computer on, TV on, get my controller, play until I'm done and turn the PC off with the controller, really where do you all get these weird issues from? Are you all making sure you're not playing games early 7th gen and earlier?

It isn't that simple.

It has to do with knowledge of hardware, finetuning the general setting of your rig etc, etc.
Lots of people buy a pre built pc at say Walmart or something. You think it'll be as stable and versatile as a pc custom built and tuned to perfection?

NOPE! Bloatware, shitty pre defined settings, the lot. 2 hardware identical systems can perform way different. Depends on the knowhow of the user.
I have my PC since februari, tossed out b tier components and tweaked Windows to my tastes.

It outperforms my neighbors prebuilt PC with a 3 gen newer processor and the same graphics card by a HUGE margin.

More knowledge = better optimisation = fewer issues
Simple things like an Antivirus in Game mode or a lenient profile for your firewall can prevent lots of issues and thats just scratching the surface.
Too high of an OC on cpu, memory or gpu can cause numerous amounts of hangs, lockups etc if not done right.

There are way too many variables in this for you to make such an assumption, sorry.

Last edited:
Not sure what is up with EA but I've run into BFV issue for year n half now and they've not fixed it. I think it has something to do with the Gamepass and their licences BS.

mdkirby

This was what we repeatedly said to one of our party in helldivers. The only one on a pc, he would repeatedly disconnect, had to run it on shitty visuals just so it wouldn’t bug out when things got heavy, despite a machine that cost way more than a ps5. He was talking about having to dig through forums which told him to remove and fuck around with config files and all sorts of nonsense.

Meanwhile, aside from when the servers were fallling over themselves from too many players, all the rest of the team, just turn on their ps5’s, and within 10 seconds are in the game. And it “just works”

This also seems a common story with practically every major PC release. Shits just a painful broken mess, that often doesn’t even look much better, particularly if you’re sat on a sofa 10ft away from the screen, yet it costs a bucket load and comes with a laundry list of problems.

Consoles, as the years go by, the new games releasing run just as well as the ones released in launch year, and generally look even better. On pc, every year that goes by (at least from when I used to build), as newer games release, each time you need to nudge down the graphics settings bit by bit.

I remember spending £1400 ish to play oblivion on high settings, it got delayed a year and it would only manage medium without being a chugging mess 🤣

Zathalus

Are PCs flawless gaming machines that never have any issues? Of course not. Are the hyperbolic statements made on this forum by some blowing things way out of proportion? Of course they are.

Fact is, almost a 150 million people play on Steam, peak active user counts approach 35 million and the far, far, far majority of the people have zero issues. For 99% of PC games all you need to do is click the play button and enjoy the game.

Skifi28

That's because your argument is stupid.
It's not that there"s no issues, is that most issues have fixes on pcgamingwiki.

It is what you get for having infinite backlog compatibility.

Also it's 100% the user's fault.
I don't think anyone claims there are no fixes, it's a matter of having the time and patience. I used to tinker for the sake of it back in the day, but nowadays if something doesn't work out of the box I might not even bother googling it and either refund or play something else instead. Some games are inherently broken and 100% require the user to fix them, but they are being sold on steam without the developer/publisher fixing them or even putting a warning. That's hardly the user's fault. When you buy something being sold as new, you sort of expect it to work.

You make your choice - with consoles, the enjoyment is from playing a good game - with PCs it is getting a game running acceptably at a high fps - sometimes after having spent the previous few days upgrading your GPU, PSU, CPU or RAM. Also watching out for melting power cables and software issues.

It feels pretty sweet getting a game to run at 1440p on UW locked at 140fps to be fair.

Last edited:
PC has problems like every other gaming platform, it's just that people like you speak on those problems when you have little experience with the platform...
So people who are new to platforms aren’t allowed to speak their opinions and frustrations? That’s the exact fucking PCMR bullshit that I can’t stand.
I've been building PCs and playing games on them for over 20 years, nice try though.

This is exactly why I dislike discussing anything PC on GAF. The moment you dare mention any issues people will directly mock you or personally attack/belittle you.
1000%. I’ve also been playing on and building PCs since the late 90s when I was barely in school and I still have frustrations and get annoyed with PC gaming.

You can’t possibly say anything bad about PC without some PCMR dipshit speaking up about how your experience is wrong. It’s fucking infuriating.

Now, absolutely some people do say some bullshit about PC and we are all sick of the basic I don’t want to sit at a desk comment but my point still stands. PCMR are some of the most insecure little fucks on the internet to the point where sometimes I want to drop the platform but that would be fucking stupid and I like playing on PC.

Skifi28

1000%. I’ve also been playing on and building PCs since the late 90s when I was barely in school and I still have frustrations and get annoyed with PC gaming.

You can’t possibly say anything bad about PC without some PCMR dipshit speaking up about how your experience is wrong. It’s fucking infuriating.

Now, absolutely some people do say some bullshit about PC and we are all sick of the basic I don’t want to sit at a desk comment but my point still stands. PCMR are some of the most insecure little fucks on the internet to the point where sometimes I want to drop the platform but that would be fucking stupid and I like playing on PC.
It reminded me of this good old thread I made once to vent:

It was a bad idea as some people got really defensive. Some of the replies are absolutely hilarious, like being accused of having an agenda or being called a retard for having issues that are well documented. I was kinda done with seirously discussing PC on GAF after that.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So people who are new to platforms aren’t allowed to speak their opinions and frustrations? That’s the exact fucking PCMR bullshit that I can’t stand.

It's not about saying something bad, it's about the hyperbolic bullshit. Imagine PC guys creating a tread about every console game stuck with shitty 30- fps, shitty resolution, shitty controls, shitty non existent retro compatibility that you can't do anything to fix. On PC things that don't work or are limited almost always has a fix.

DaGwaphics

Gaming on PC today is a lot smoother than it used to be, but if you go looking for issues you can still find them LOL. The majority of the time things do "just work" and any extra time invested in comparison to console is just related to getting the settings right for your hardware configuration. I've played some particularly old games on PC and most either work straight away or only need a minor tweak here or there to get going. Most of the issues that exist are fixable on the OS side if Windows started to prioritize long-term compatibility in regards to games.

Top Bottom