• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joy of being part of the Master Race....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Come on bro.
"I'm having trouble getting this game running on my PC!" is still superior to "I can't play this game on consoles at all."

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Whenever i see someone bringing up the "get X turbo-obscure-old game running on PC", the case is almost always a trivial one.

Which is funny, because i do know games that are troublesome to run today. Yet the ones complaining about it don't even know them themselves.

rm082e

Because plugging a desktop computer into a TV might not be an option. It's one thing if the person lives alone and can do whatever they want, but if that person has a significant other...or kids, then the factor changes substantially. Maybe at first it's cool, but once the gaming sessions grow longer and longer, the need for a separate display arguably increases.

Side note: Getting a "free" display built in is just one of the many reasons that laptops have been outpacing desktops for years when it comes to sales. Have gaming laptops ever been more prevalent than they are nowadays?

If you have kids, you can get a second TV for a bedroom for $300. I had two young kids and a wife in a 2bd 1000sqft house for many years with my gaming PC hooked up to a TV. It was no problem.

Shitty gaming laptops abound, because they're a cheap turn-key solution for boys. But that doesn't mean they're good. I've never met anyone who would rather play games on a gaming laptop screen than on a TV or big monitor. At least with the handheld PC form factor you can lay in bed or take it with you for travel. Gaming laptops suck for both of those. They're like the worst of both worlds.

As for non-gaming laptops, there are very few people who need the advantages a desktop PC can provide over a laptop. Most people also don't need a dedicated desk in their home, so laptops selling more than desktops is obvious. It's not because all those people are buying gaming laptops. Just look at the Steam Hardware Survey: Only two out of the top 20 GPUs are laptops, and they make up less than 5.5% of the market. There are more people playing on RTX 3060 cards specifically than there are people playing on gaming laptops.

Tomeru

Unlike consoles, the master race has solutions for every issue (99% of the time).

You just need to use your head and google.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Absolutely. I'm just shaking my head that we are going back in time drudging up difficulties with a game from 20 years ago.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Can we also talk about RROD and YLOD now as if those are current topics?
You think 1993 was 20 years ago?

Sheesh man you're a dinosaur

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can paly them on ps3 if I wanted to. in their best original forms.
besides. Remasters will come sooner or later. I will be happy to get it
Sure but at this point don't you think it's getting a bit excessive when you need 2 consoles to play all the games you want to? If you want to play ps2 games and your ps3 is a slim... that adds up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Youre right of course. If you have a problem on console - suck it up.
I don't have a problem on console currently. But if I had, I would indeed suck it up I guess.
We talking exclusives now? Run System Shock Remake on the ps5.
We are not talking about exclusives. I was answering to stupid 64bit post.
I can play them of PC if I wanted. 4k+/60+fps, m+kb too.
Then go do it. Without half of the shaders and with stuttering lol and mouse and keyboard wtf.
you are free to do so.
Buying the game and playing on a system back at the time?! Nah who would do that. let's pirate it and play badly 10 years later.

Topher

Gold Member

Fact of the matter is that any PC today will play more past console games than current consoles.

Seriously.....console gamers should avoid the backward compatibility argument at all costs. They lose every time.

Still though fuck you

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure but at this point don't you think it's getting a bit excessive when you need 2 consoles to play all the games you want to? If you want to play ps2 games and your ps3 is a slim... that adds up
I don't.
It sounds like a lot of consoles but consoles are small. I can keep old consoles in a closet and only connect with 2 cables if I want to replay certain game.
I don't have to keep it all plugged in.
And realistically, most games I care about are ported to modern consoles and pc. like 90% of old catalogue.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Comments like this, along with the title of the thread, are just so pathetic.
One comment is not like the other.

My comment leads the reader to define exactly what leads to joy & appreciation.

The other comment is a *blink quietly a few times...yell the thing he always yells.*

I'm Aristotle.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah. Sub HD, 30fps, high input lag, potato controller gameplay not worth even if Sony paid me to play.
Was state of the art back then. If your mind can't back to that place, I can't help you with that.
When I connect 360 again(rarely), my mind mostly views the games as showcases they were upon release. I like playing them in original state.
These were some fantastic games. but you wouldn't know since you are a fake pc gamer.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Come on buddies, we all love games, what's up with you?

Let's roll some blunts and play some Mario Kart together. rofif rofif says he invites us all, what a lad!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Only rofif can twist retrocompatibility spanning back 30 years into somehow an incorrect and bad thing.
It's not a bad thing. It's fine.
I just think it's overused argument which is underused in reality. Most games you care about are available today or ported.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's not a bad thing. It's fine.
I just think it's overused argument which is underused in reality. Most games you care about are available today or ported.
Except that games like counterstrike, tf2 or l4d2 would not be active today if PC were like consoles and the slate got reset every 7 years.

An example I can think of besides those 3 is Richard burns rally. 2004 rally game modded from a mediocre simulator to PC rally perfection. You wouldnt be able to do that with a console model

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Except that games like counterstrike, tf2 or l4d2 would not be active today if PC were like consoles and the slate got reset every 7 years.

There are still plenty of active servers from games made in the 90's.

Couldn't care less. I played these shitty games 15 years ago for 30minutes - 3 hours each. I don't need to play them again.
if you want to, you can continue doing so on pc

RFZngBj.jpeg

Last edited:

Fahdis

I gotta be honest: there are some hardcore motherfuckers in this thread.

Betrayal at Krondor references? I said, "Goddamn!"

Will saying Chips Challenge or Dangerous Dave not put me in the shitbox with retro PC gamers? Right? R-right?

Yerd

What, you guys never heard of Cubic Tic Tac Toe, on monochrome monitor? Check your life. It's 3 dimensions.

This thread went into turbo mode, since I last checked. I loaded up the quotes, so I'm not backing out now.

how many consoles factor in the cost of the TV?

really, since I made my account here I must have seen like 50 threads like this one and it's always the same dumb stuff being posted again and again.

We need to start factoring in couches, desks and office chair costs.

seinfeld newman GIF

And the beer consumed between sessions.

You never factored in the electricity, the housing cost, the cost of education to bring you to a level of understanding capable of controlling the game, your parent's costs of life up to this point because you can't be here without them, their parents, ad infinitum. Cmon guys, to be a console gamer is way more expensive. While us pc bros, were just born with it.

I just did. Just opened it with Dosbox. There is a shareware version of the game on archive.org.
What if that person never created Dosbox? Without external programs the game would be stuck on the 9x era. Nonwithstanding the Dosbox emulated games never run as good as the original machine, never sound as good, have weird clock cycle issues, and the commands to get Dosbox working or emulation are never quite 100%. Did I ever say I hate PC gaming? No. Infact, that era from 94-2005 was one of the most glorious eras of pc gaming ever. Games that almost never got ported to consoles, were a completely different style and hit something so utterly different.

But the PC gaming master race of today? Feh. 99% of those games are on console. There's nowhere near as much differentiation as there once was. The games that I loved that were plentiful back then are gone or streamlined for consoles. Now excuse me while I play on my Pentium 133 with MMX technology and 40mb of ram.

bDZ0Q-FJ7b8ibp2jFZZMGKw639-tPs0z4BHljJoW0wc.png

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What if that person never created Dosbox? Without external programs the game would be stuck on the 9x era. Nonwithstanding the Dosbox emulated games never run as good as the original machine, never sound as good, have weird clock cycle issues, and the commands to get Dosbox working or emulation are never quite 100%. Did I ever say I hate PC gaming? No. Infact, that era from 94-2005 was one of the most glorious eras of pc gaming ever. Games that almost never got ported to consoles, were a completely different style and hit something so utterly different.

But the PC gaming master race of today? Feh. 99% of those games are on console. There's nowhere near as much differentiation as there once was. The games that I loved that were plentiful back then are gone or streamlined for consoles. Now excuse me while I play on my Pentium 133 with MMX technology and 40mb of ram.

bDZ0Q-FJ7b8ibp2jFZZMGKw639-tPs0z4BHljJoW0wc.png
What if "PC" didn't create CPUs, GPUs, Gddr6, SSD, etc, for consoles to use?

BlackTron

Strange take. This would be like someone saying it is no big deal that it takes extra work to make an old game like Half-Life work because they simply keep an entire Pentium II desktop computer set up for this purpose, thereby making this issue with modern PC moot completely.

Top Bottom